I could be the next GM of the Red Sox. Folks here's your 2012 Boston Red Sox.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: I could be the next GM of the Red Sox. Folks here's your 2012 Boston Red Sox.

In Response to Re: I could be the next GM of the Red Sox. Folks here's your 2012 Boston Red Sox.:
    Well you certainly have plenty of free time. It would take me a week to type up a post like that.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: I could be the next GM of the Red Sox. Folks here's your 2012 Boston Red Sox.

Start Lavarnway, Salty back-up, bye Tek.
    Yes, sign Scutaro, he'll get lots of playing time.
    Keep Els.
    Yes, right fielder, and how about that mets shortstop, can we get him?
    Iglesis has no stick.  Like Wright too.
    Try Bard at sp, why not?  Worth a shot, might be stellar there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Why in the hell would you bring back Papelbon....ever game hes a hear attack waiting to happen.....Unless for a big pay cut...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to I could be the next GM of the Red Sox. Folks here's your 2012 Boston Red Sox.:
    As many of you know, I'm highly regared as a pure baseball genius on this forum. 
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a3fc713da-4715-4925-b94c-c14bddc7d8f4Discussion%3a7c4bff86-21b9-41d9-9625-43efd4bf0237&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:3fc713da-4715-4925-b94c-c14bddc7d8f4Discussion:7c4bff86-21b9-41d9-9625-43efd4bf0237Post:4d393e3d-c34b-4f10-ae8a-877f9e83c3b8

Some 2011 predictions from one of the most knowledgeable posters on this forum.

posted at 12/31/2010 1:44 PM EST
    First: 4/11/2009
    Last: 10/2/2011
    I want to thank all of you for reading my posts in fascination as well as admiring the pure and gifted viewpoints that I offer to this forum. As many of you have seen, I have been quoted 3 times now on the front page so it has become quite clear that I am well regarded on this website. Now onto 10 Red Sox predictions for 2011...

1. Adrian Gonzalez will finish top 2 in MVP voting.

2. Dustin Pedroia will finally break 20 HR's.

3. Josh Beckett will come back very strong this season, finishing with 17 wins.

4. Jed Lowrie will be this year's breakout player. .300, 17HR, 65RBI. He will assume the everyday SS position shortly into the season.

5. Ellsbury and Crawford will combine for 107 steals.

6. New/young arm of this year: Stolmy Pimentel.

7. Salty will earn over the respect of RSN: .280, 19HR 63 RBI

8. A middle reliever that will prove to be very valuable this season: Rich Hill

9. John Lackey won't be LAA John Lackey, but he will turn in a very good innings total and an ERA of 3.82

10. Overal win total for the 2011 Red Sox: 104

Thank you all and have a safe and very happy 2011.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

soxpatscelts, some good ideas but i think that the team u assemble would do worse that the 2011 team. Its clear the two biggest areas the sox need to address in the offseason are start pitching and right field. Clay buchholz is not a number 3 starter. He is not durable or reliable enough. So the sox really need a front of the rotation pitcher. They will not find anyone to fill that role via free agency and the last thing we need is another reclamation project. They need to go the trade route and think big. Felix hernandez would be the best fit without a doubt. Will the mariners trade him? maybe. They have lots of wholes to fill and he is the only guy who could bring back a large enough return to fill them. And this offseason would be the time to move him given the lack of quality pitching available via free agency. If the sox feel the need to pick up a right fielder as their main acquisition, then they could perhaps target a lesser pitcher such as john danks. Ricky Nolasco is said to be available in the offseason from the marlins, he may be worth taking a shot on depending on what they ask in return. But considering his the lack of success he has had in the NL, i would rather take a shot at danks. But as it stands right now the rotation will consist of beckett, lester, buchholz, lackey(yes he will be back) and whomever they add to fill the last spot(wake is gone). One other potentially interesting pick up could be Yu Darvish. Im not sure if the front office wants to take another shot on a japanese pitcher but darvish may very well be the best pitcher available this offseason. I think most of the sox offensive starters will be the same. But there are a few changes that need to be made. Scutaro could come back as a back up, thats it. Iglesias should be the starter. We need his defensive abilities which far outway his lack of hitting. Tek should retire and lavarnway assuming he is not used in a trade, should take his place a fight for the starting spot in spring training. I believe lavarnway has much more upside than salty and he has tremendous power. Ortiz should not get more than a 1 year deal. If he wants a multi year deal he can find one elswhere. But i think ultimately something gets worked out, perhaps a 1 yr deal with an option for a 2nd year. Youk will be back at 3rd and needs to work on his conditioning in the offseason so he can stay healthy. I would be fine with trading youk if the right offer came along, but i would not replace him with lowrie. I would give will middlebrooks a shot. That brings us to the biggest hole in the offence, right field. Reddick unfortunately is not the answer and i doubt kalish is either. We needed a right handed bat with power. Now if the front office wants to aim big and make right field their biggest priority, then the guy to go after is matt kemp. He is one year away from free agency and i very much doubt the dodgers can afford to retain him. Forget nick swisher, the yanks will retain him. Andre eithier could be of interest to the sox as well and would likely come quite a bit cheaper than kemp. So i will play things on the safe side, here is my 2012 sox team:

Ellsbury
    pedroia
    gonzalez
    eithier
    youk
    ortiz
    crawford
    salty/larvarnway
    iglesias 

Beckett
    Lester
    buchholz
    danks/darvish
    lackey

bench

lavarnway/salty, lowrie, aviles, jackson

pen

papelbon(he will be back)
    jenks
    bard
    broxton(sign him for 1 yr cheap)
    morales
    hill
    aceves

And there ya have it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

scutoro has a club option so i think he will be back,      for catching i think we will go with salty and larvarnway i  would let youk be the new DH since he  is flexiable at either 1st or 3rd

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4412333. Show user_4412333's posts

In Response to Re: I could be the next GM of the Red Sox. Folks here's your 2012 Boston Red Sox.:
    In Response to I could be the next GM of the Red Sox. Folks here's your 2012 Boston Red Sox. : http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a3fc713da-4715-4925-b94c-c14bddc7d8f4Discussion%3a7c4bff86-21b9-41d9-9625-43efd4bf0237&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:3fc713da-4715-4925-b94c-c14bddc7d8f4Discussion:7c4bff86-21b9-41d9-9625-43efd4bf0237Post:4d393e3d-c34b-4f10-ae8a-877f9e83c3b8 Some 2011 predictions from one of the most knowledgeable posters on this forum. posted at 12/31/2010 1:44 PM EST SoxPatsCelts1988 Posts: 4176 First: 4/11/2009 Last: 10/2/2011 862c62380273033ac029cfbfc17e2da0 I want to thank all of you for reading my posts in fascination as well as admiring the pure and gifted viewpoints that I offer to this forum. As many of you have seen, I have been quoted 3 times now on the front page so it has become quite clear that I am well regarded on this website. Now onto 10 Red Sox predictions for 2011... 1. Adrian Gonzalez will finish top 2 in MVP voting. 2. Dustin Pedroia will finally break 20 HR's. 3. Josh Beckett will come back very strong this season, finishing with 17 wins. 4. Jed Lowrie will be this year's breakout player. .300, 17HR, 65RBI. He will assume the everyday SS position shortly into the season. 5. Ellsbury and Crawford will combine for 107 steals. 6. New/young arm of this year: Stolmy Pimentel. 7. Salty will earn over the respect of RSN: .280, 19HR 63 RBI 8. A middle reliever that will prove to be very valuable this season: Rich Hill 9. John Lackey won't be LAA John Lackey, but he will turn in a very good innings total and an ERA of 3.82 10. Overal win total for the 2011 Red Sox: 104 Thank you all and have a safe and very happy 2011.
    Posted by hill55

Wow, Lumpy Rutherford was 0 for 10.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Yeah, let's bring in 30 yr. old left handed hitting Ethier, who, other than average, stunk this year. Oh, he's Pedroia's pal, so that means it doesn't matter that he doesn't fit what the team needs.
    He's also injury prone, so he'd be a perfect replacement for JD Drew!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

If you start Aceves and Bard, you solve the SP without having to spend big on the FA market.  Signing a reclamation project, such as Carpenter or Young on the cheap might be a good backup plan.  You also have Tazawa, Doubront and eventually Matsuzaka as SP depth.  But in my mind, Beckett has to go.  Gaining 20lbs throughout the season showed in his late season performance.  Drinking beer in the clubhouse is NOT what team aces do.  Beckett for a young RH rightfielder?  You could still have:    Lester, Buchholz, Bard, Aceves, Zito (straight up for Lackey), and Doubront, with Tazawa, Carpenter, Matsuzaka, and maybe Miller (see below) in the wings.

In the bullpen, I'd use Papelbon money to sign Broxton and Farnsworth (cannot believe I am typing that) to help replace Papelbon and Bard.  Keep Jenks, Morales, Hill, Atchison, Wheeler.  Replace Albers with Bowden.  Have Doubront do the Aceves role unless and until a rotation spot comes calling.  Resign Miller only if he accepts a minor league deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

If you start Aceves and Bard, you solve the SP without haveing to spend big on the FA market.  Signing a reclamation project, such as Carpenter or Young on the cheap might be a good backup plan.  You also have Tazawa, Doubront and eventually Matsuzaka as SO depth.  But in my mind, Beckett has to go.  Gaining 20lbs throughout the season showed in his late season performance.  Drinking beer in the clubhouse is NOT what team aces do.  Beckett for a young RH rightfielder?  You could still have:    Lester, Buchholz, Bard, Aceves, Zito (straight up for Lackey), and Doubront, with Tazawa, Carpenter, Matsuzaka, and maybe Miller (see below) in the wings. In the bullpen, I'd use Papelbon money to sign Broxton and Farnsworth (cannot believe I am typing that) to help replace Papelbon and Bard.  Keep Jenks, Morales, Hill, Atchison, Wheeler.  Replace Albers with Bowden.  Have Doubront do the Aceves role unless and until a rotation spot comes calling.  Resign Miller only if he accepts a minor league deal.
    Posted by parhunter1

Who's going to take Beckett without us paying some of that contract?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

As for the rest of the lineup, if I were the GM, I would go with the youth.

Youk would be my DH
    Middlebrooks at 3B
    Iglesias at SS
    Lavarnway at C
    Scutaro and Aviles resigned for infield depth.
    Reddick and Kalish fight it out for LF

I would also try my darndest to trade Crawford, maybe stright up for Werth (both need a new venue, Sox wanted Werth over Crawford anyway).

Sox had a great offense, and it abandoned them in their time of need, as no one but Ells and Pedroia seemed to be fighting for runs.  The young guys might not put up the same offensive numbers, but they would have the heart and grit and guts that lacked this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Any big market team who felt that they needed one more decent starter to compete would take Beckett and his contract.  If you have to, chip in 5 mil a year.  It's not like he is total crap, he is just not a dependable ace, and that is what the Sox need.  Time for Lester to step into that role.

The Mets could afford Beckett, and badly need someone like him.  I suspect they would give their best Minor League RH outfielder for him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not saying this is my choice, but this could be what we get:

C: Salty/VTek
    DH: Youk (3B)/Lavarnway (C)
    1B: AGon
    2B: Pedey (Aviles)
    3B: Youk/Lowrie (Aviles)
    SS: Aviles/Iglesias
    LF: Crawford/DMac
    CF: Ellsbury/Kalish
    RF: Willingham/Reddick

S1: Beckett
    S2: Lester
    S3: Buchholtz
    S4: E. Jackson
    S5: Lackey
    S6: Dice-K  (after August 1st)
    S7: Wakefield
    S8: Tazawa
    S9: Doubront
    S10: Weiland

R1: Bard
    R2: Affeldt
    R3: Aceves
    R4: Wheeler
    R5: Morales (Wake)
    R6: Atchison (Tazawa/Doubront)
    R7: Albers
    R8: Bowden

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4414696. Show user_4414696's posts

Some 2011 predictions from one of the most knowledgeable posters on this forum.

posted at 12/31/2010 1:44 PM EST
    First: 4/11/2009
    Last: 10/2/2011
    I want to thank all of you for reading my posts in fascination as well as admiring the pure and gifted viewpoints that I offer to this forum. As many of you have seen, I have been quoted 3 times now on the front page so it has become quite clear that I am well regarded on this website. Now onto 10 Red Sox predictions for 2011...

1. Adrian Gonzalez will finish top 2 in MVP voting.

2. Dustin Pedroia will finally break 20 HR's.

3. Josh Beckett will come back very strong this season, finishing with 17 wins.

4. Jed Lowrie will be this year's breakout player. .300, 17HR, 65RBI. He will assume the everyday SS position shortly into the season.

5. Ellsbury and Crawford will combine for 107 steals.

6. New/young arm of this year: Stolmy Pimentel.

7. Salty will earn over the respect of RSN: .280, 19HR 63 RBI

8. A middle reliever that will prove to be very valuable this season: Rich Hill

9. John Lackey won't be LAA John Lackey, but he will turn in a very good innings total and an ERA of 3.82

10. Overal win total for the 2011 Red Sox: 104

Thank you all and have a safe and very happy 2011.

He never learns.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

S7: Wakefield

No one takes this seriously except maybe InEpstein. Wastefied is a loser who was a major factor in late season collapse. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

Wake certainly didn't help...but a MAJOR factor...stop repeating silly things for the sake of stroking your own ego.

By the way.....it's Les Paul. Not Less Paul. Never has been Less Paul, never will be.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Gotta think you give SS and RF to the "kids" at least until all*star break. Our offense can easily make up the difference for Iglesias and Kalish if they struggle. Their gloves will help to strengthen the defense and their youth should help invigorate the rest of the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 68fbrd. Show 68fbrd's posts

Youk and Lackluster BOTH need to go. Tired of Youk constantly arguing called third strikes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4414696. Show user_4414696's posts

BDC likes giving this guy quotes, he pointed out the obvious on this one and got himself a quote.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

Cant believe some people say to trade Els, to whom? Tje only reason to trade him is because of his salary demands and if the RS dont want to pay him who will? Dont forget who his agent is. Beckett needs to go send him to Texas and he can do his hunting and drinking act there. Our rotation is in real trouble, we dont have a pitcher that can be counted on ... not one! Beckett and Lackey are terrible , Lester is unreliable, maybe a number 3/4 starter, and who knows where Buck is.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

All of this discussion just boils down to the fact that the team needs to upgrade its starting pitching, find a way not to downgrade its positional spots, and acquire a right fielder. What many posters here fail to taken into account is the fact that in 2012 there is a whole lot of money committed to lackey (15.25), beckett (15.75), gonzales (21) matusaka (10), crawford (19.5), Jenks (6), Wheeler (3) et al, which narrows the gap considerably in terms of acquiring the players they need. throw in the youkillis (12), Lester (7.6) and pedroia (7.6) contracts, the question of re-signing Ortiz (10-12?), and papelbon (13-14?), and you're potentially at around 135 million right there and still have to fill out your roster with bench players, a bullpen, a ss, a cf, a rf, and a top line starter (and maybe two). all for an aditional 25-30 million. a pretty tall task. yes, you have players like salty, lowerie, lavarnway, bard, bucholtz, etc. on the cheap, and lester, pedroia, youkillis, ellsbury (for one more year) etc. at good value, but you then re-sign scutaro (6) or his equivalent, aceves or his equivalent, ellsbury at his arbitration number (and have to consider his numbers/the numbers for a top replacement moving forward), and you're already quickly creeping toward the imposed spending limit of between 160-170. decisions like lackey, matusaka, drew, crawford are the kind that create this problem (those five players represent about 60-65 million this year). you just can't bet wrong on that many key, big money players. true, you can't control injuries, but unless the sox are planning to go out and spend 180 or 190 million or more (and who knows, maybe they will?) it is likely there are going to be just as many gaps, if not more, than there were this year, though one could argue that throwing money at big time free agents rarely wins championships anyway. question marks at the top of the list are obviously...

1. Lackey
    2. papelbon and the closer spot
    3. Bucholtz's health and the prospect of acquiring one or two front line starters
    3. Right field and reddick's future
    4. What to do with ellsbury long term
    5. Ortiz and the dh spot
    6. Where to play youkillis
    7. Picking up scutaro's option or replacing him 
    8. Bard
    9. The rest of the bullpen - aceves, albers, rich hill, etc and who can be acquired
    10. Whether to resign wakefield
    11. Jenks
    12. The catching spot/does varitek retire/go?/lavarnway's readiness
    13. Wakefield
    14. Having an adequate bench
    15. How many players in the minor league system can contribute to the club in 2012

Of course the solutions to many of these issues are predicated on moves that need to be made first so theoretically there will be some domino effect going on here. one hopes the offseason plan makes more sense than in the rpevioius few seasons. the busts are piling up and starting to choke this team. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeymusic. Show hockeymusic's posts

Excellent post except for the comment on Andrew Jones.  He's washed up. And yes- pay big $ to get rid of Lackey.  Whew, what a bad signing and worse person.   

In Response to I could be the next GM of the Red Sox. Folks here's your 2012 Boston Red Sox.:
    As many of you know, I'm highly regared as a pure baseball genius on this forum.  I'd like to share my solution for fixing his team. 1.  First and foremost, the entire training and medical staff will be exited from the organization. 2.  I would offer to pay up to 70% of John Lackey's contract to get rid of him.  I would consider a salary dump for salary dump transaction.  Would the Cubs consider a 1 for 1 swap:  Lackey for Zambrano?  Maybe a change of scenery would do both of them well.  Either way, the top priority is getting Lackey off of this team for 2012. 3.  Hold ground and do not go more than 2 years for David Ortiz.  Let him test the waters.  If he leaves, he leaves.  I don't see the Yankees signing him so after that, who else in the AL would give him big money to DH?  Maybe back to MIN?  Baltimore perhaps?  The list is very short.  I say he comes back on a 2 year deal. 4.  Trade Kevin Youkilis.  I don't see any team trading for him to be a DH for a season.  I see him filling a team's need at 1B.  How about trading him to San Francisco in a deal to get Jonathan Sanchez?  He can give San Fran another bat that can help get them over the hump in the AL West. 5.  Re-sign Papelbon.  Similar to the Ortiz situation, I just don't see a big market for the guy.  I think he comes back at 3 years/$40M 6.  Re-sign Aceves.  This guy may get more money elsewhere, but he was a key part to this team and one of the few reliable pitchers on the staff. 7.  Follow Lou Merloni's advice and try Bard as a starter.  It's worth the gamble at this point because starters are hard to come by. 8.  Do not bring back Wakefield.  Too much selfishness and poor pitching.  If he wants to talk about a minor league contract or a part-time role mid-season, I'd keep an ear open. 9.  Go after additional pitching and role the dice on a reclamation project.  Brandon Webb?  Chris Young? 10.  Pick up a few additional bullpen pieces.  I don't think this bullpen as that bad this year and I think an improved rotation can make it better next year.  Maybe grab Kyle Farnsworth and Jeremy Affeldt.  The setup role will work itself out. 11.  The top target should be Nick Swisher but I don't see the Yankees declining his option... especially if the Red Sox are in.  Either way get a right handed OF bat that can platoon with Kalish/Reddick and fill in in case they don't work out.  Ryan Ludwick may not be able to find a starting job.  Maybe he can be that guy.  Andrew Jones also makes alot of sense here. 12.  Work to bring Scutaro back.  He can play SS and 3B along with Aviles.  I think his return is 50/50 but I have a gut feeling that he will be back. 13.  My gut is that Varitek will come back for one more final season and he is more than welcomed back. 14.  Get rid of Jed Lowrie. Folks, here is my early prediction at the 2012 Red Sox roster.  Next year will be difficult because there isn't much to work with in free agency and the money spent is very limited. Rotation : 1.  Beckett 2.  Lester 3.  Buchholz 4.  Jonathan Sanchez 5.  Bard Depth:  Chris Young, Doubront, Weiland, Tazawa, Alex Wilson Bullpen : 1.  Papelbon 2.  Fransworth 3.  J.C. Romero 4.  Aceves 5.  Morales 6.  Wheeler 7.  Jenks Depth/Competition:  Albers, Atchinson, Doubront, Bowden Lineup : 1.  Ellsbury cf 2.  Scuatro 3b/ss 3.  Gonzalez 1b 4.  Pedroia 2b 5.  Ortiz dh 6.  Kalish/Andruw Jones rf 7.  Crawford lf 8.  Saltalamaccia c 9.  Aviles 3b/ss Bench:  John McDonald (leadership and guidance for Iglesias who may be ready at some point next year), Andruw Jones (primarily), Conor Jackson, Varitek Depth:  Iglesias, Lavarnway, Middlebrooks Note:  Reddick will be traded for an opportunity to play and develop elsewhere Folks, it may not look pretty but the Sox have to go into next year with roster flexibility so that they can players from within the farm system.  Iglesias, Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, and Kalish all have a shot to make a major impact for next season and the future.  At the end of the day, it all starts with the pitching.  A few shakeups at the backend and better conditioning could get this team right back on track.  I know it's an early prediction, but here's how I see things shaking out in 2012.
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Where the F is this "Ortiz not worth $17M" coming from??? $17M for 2 years and an option? Yeah, I'll take that! He got $12.5 this past year not $17M.

Bard still won't be a Starter, sorry guys.

Someone proposed Swisher as a priority? That's a joke right? Funny. Haha. It is to laugh?

If there are any trades or signings it should be about getting Pitching. Let's not lose focus on what ACTUALLY went wrong this year.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts