I don't believe Wil Myers...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: I don't believe Wil Myers...

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

.....and no one else on MLB Network believes him. Nobody. They're being nice and professional about it, but ain't buyin' what Wil Myers is sellin'.

The guys at ESPN had a different take, and made some pretty good points.

For one, Myers isn't the best defensive player to begin with.  He has a -4 DRS and a -2.5 UZR/150.

For two, you know how loud the crowd at Fenway can get.  Throw in that it's a playoff game and that Papi just hit the ball a long way, and it's hard to hear anyone call "I got it", even your teammate on the field close to you.

How many times in regular season games can you clearly see a defender calling "I got it" and the other defender doesn't hear him?

For three, outfielders are trained that the CF has precedence over the other outfielders on balls that they can both get to.  They are trained to pull off on such fly balls.  As Myers was going to the ball, he could clearly see Jennings out of the corner of his eye.  Not when he was about to catch the ball, but a brief moment before then.

Myers is a rookie.  He likely just overthought the play, 2nd guessed it, panicked, had a mental lapse, or whatever you want to call it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

he just CHOCKED....lost track of it and saw the other guy coming beside him and made a fateful decision to let it go...if he were called off by a Sox player in the pen, there would have been a brawl right there and then and throughtout the rest of the game - you dont do that in MLB w/o starting a riot - let alone in a playoff game

As always - 100% correct!

Exactly.  What we saw was a rookie choking on playing the wall ball.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

he just CHOCKED....lost track of it and saw the other guy coming beside him and made a fateful decision to let it go...if he were called off by a Sox player in the pen, there would have been a brawl right there and then and throughtout the rest of the game - you dont do that in MLB w/o starting a riot - let alone in a playoff game

As always - 100% correct!

Yeah, I think you're right.  The Rays would have been screaming bloody murder if it was somebody in the bullpen that yelled at Myers.

Unless there was confusion in the moment and it took long enough to sort the facts out that indignation would have only made them look more silly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

.....and no one else on MLB Network believes him. Nobody. They're being nice and professional about it, but ain't buyin' what Wil Myers is sellin'.

For one, Myers isn't the best defensive player to begin with.  He has a -4 DRS and a -2.5 UZR/150.

For two, you know how loud the crowd at Fenway can get.  Throw in that it's a playoff game and that Papi just hit the ball a long way, and it's hard to hear anyone call "I got it", even your teammate on the field close to you.

How many times in regular season games can you clearly see a defender calling "I got it" and the other defender doesn't hear him?

For three, outfielders are trained that the CF has precedence over the other outfielders on balls that they can both get to.  They are trained to pull off on such fly balls.  As Myers was going to the ball, he could clearly see Jennings out of the corner of his eye.  Not when he was about to catch the ball, but a brief moment before then.

Myers is a rookie.  He likely just overthought the play, 2nd guessed it, panicked, had a mental lapse, or whatever you want to call it.

It could be that everyone is right to a certain degree. Could be that Myers THOUGHT he heard someone yell even if they didnt. That would explain everything from his halting approach to the ball, to Dempster's statement, to the "cover story" of seeing Jennings coming. To come out and admit you thought you heard ghosts would make you look worse than actually hearing them. But either way, Myers is covering his rear with the Jennings story, while the media gives him credit for "coming clean". He has to be, there is no way around it, and this was the original premise of my OP. No matter the actual story, what Myers is telling everyone could not be totally true, there has to be more to it than that. My main thrust is not totally that the Red Sox did it, but that Myers is covering something up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

....my fear is he'll hit ten HR the next three games and we'll never hear the end of how "this kid bounced back from the mistake....." etc.....ad nauseum....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

He says he "saw Dez out of the corner of his eye..." etc. When you look at the respective angle he and Jennings were at, this seems less than likely. He was looking straight up into the sky, I don't see how he could catch Jennings out of the corner of his eye. Jennings was a good 15-20 feet behind him and to his right. Additionally, Myers was wearing sunglasses with thick black earpieces, which would even further limit his periferal vision. I think someone in the bullpen dec-ed him, and he wont admit it publically. Whats he going to say "yeah, they got me"? Nah, he'd never admit it. In fact, on MLB network, Hawk Harrelson laughed and said "I think someone got him". Plus, in the post game presser, Joe Madden repeated this tale of Meyers', and put his hand up around his forehead: a sign of deception or concealment. 

Wil Myers can recognize Desmond Jennings voice.

And I know there was a game and crowd noise around him, but MLB outfielders are used to this.  These guys can tell where a fly ball is going from the sound it makes off the bat.   I seriously doubt Myers, who has played along side Jennings for a long time now, was duped by someone else.

He has NOTHING to gain by covering for the Sox bullpen.  In fact, it is an easy excuse for him.  Why not use it?   He has ZERO motive to hide being deked by the Sox bullpen....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Exactly, and it's pretty much what Myers said....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

yup someone in the BP

pulled an arod

I never had a problem when arod did it

can't say the same 4 most of you guys

Dempster said nothing was said.

What do you expect him to say? If something was said he would never admit it. Maybe its the truth, maybe not. Frankly, at this point who cares? That play opened the floodgates and the end result was a woodshed job in game 1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Tennis is supposed to be a gentleman's sport but I know from experience that if a lob come between 2 defenders, an opponent or a spectator can yell " I got it " or "mine" & neither defender knows who said it as neither said it & it drops in. I believe Myers either lost it in the sun or misplayed it becasue he was close to the wall...didn't it drop in back of him? If a call came from the Sox bullpen or a fan, bush league or not, it's still part of the  game but did Myers say he heard "I got it" thinking Jennings said it. I don't think so he said he heard it. And, if he heard it from a fan or the bullpen, why not admit it. I know that athletes sometimes collide going after a ball but I just think in the spur of the moment and pressure of the game, he choked.

Anyway, Tampa has frequently had some quirky breaks against us and I'm happy to see we finally got some.

I know too it changed the complexion of the game but take the 5 runs away and assume the rest of the game goes as it did and we win 7-2 ! Amen! Want to beat Price today even by 1 run.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

I believe Myers on this one.

Yeah, I agree. Theres at a couple replays that were a close view, and you could see at least 4-5 sox players throughout. of the replays I saw, none were moving their mouth. The only ones i didnt see were Koji and Bres, but I doubt they did it. Theres pleny of videos, and if a sox player did it Jennings would have immediately saw or heard it since he was right there. I would think that he would instantly turn around and say something to them, wouldnt you? I would. The sox player would have to be pretty much yelling pretty loud, right? Go google some videos. Jennings, nor Meyers react in any way towards the players in the bullen...One of those cameras would have caught someone barking at one of the sox players.

This is almost an expected response for you Exam. At least your consistentWink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I think everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room.  We all know who was hovering around myers.  It was the ghost of the bambino SurprisedWink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to notin's comment:

He says he "saw Dez out of the corner of his eye..." etc. When you look at the respective angle he and Jennings were at, this seems less than likely. He was looking straight up into the sky, I don't see how he could catch Jennings out of the corner of his eye. Jennings was a good 15-20 feet behind him and to his right. Additionally, Myers was wearing sunglasses with thick black earpieces, which would even further limit his periferal vision. I think someone in the bullpen dec-ed him, and he wont admit it publically. Whats he going to say "yeah, they got me"? Nah, he'd never admit it. In fact, on MLB network, Hawk Harrelson laughed and said "I think someone got him". Plus, in the post game presser, Joe Madden repeated this tale of Meyers', and put his hand up around his forehead: a sign of deception or concealment. 

And I know there was a game and crowd noise around him, but MLB outfielders are used to this.  These guys can tell where a fly ball is going from the sound it makes off the bat.   I seriously doubt Myers, who has played along side Jennings for a long time now, was duped by someone else.

He has NOTHING to gain by covering for the Sox bullpen.  In fact, it is an easy excuse for him.  Why not use it?   He has ZERO motive to hide being deked by the Sox bullpen....

Notin, are you kidding? He has no motive to hide it? His motive is not to look even worse by admitting he got deked. It has nothing to do with covering for the Sox, why would he do that? He would sure as heck cover for himself though. Hes a kid that doesnt want to look bad because he's not mature enough to take it in stride, laugh about it and move on like a verteran would. Hes self aware enough to know not to use an excuse because that would make him look even worse, but not mature enough to see that its not an excuse to use the truth and stand by it. I just dont see any way that what hes saying is the total truth, partly maybe, but not totally.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Most athletes are aggressive, tennis players both go after lobs or vollies and almost collide even hearing "mine, yours". A linebacker like a mongoose strikes a snakes hits the hole to tackle aggressively. He should have been like a magnet going after that ball even risking colliding. In short, it was the sun or he just misplayed it worrying about the wall perhaps. I'm happy it led to 5 runs but without them & the game goes the same, we win 7-2.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Notin, are you kidding? He has no motive to hide it? His motive is not to look even worse by admitting he got deked. It has nothing to do with covering for the Sox, why would he do that? He would sure as heck cover for himself though. Hes a kid that doesnt want to look bad because he's not mature enough to take it in stride, laugh about it and move on like a verteran would. Hes self aware enough to know not to use an excuse because that would make him look even worse, but not mature enough to see that its not an excuse to use the truth and stand by it. I just dont see any way that what hes saying is the total truth, partly maybe, but not totally.

See, now you are assuming to know his personality. 

We all know he cannot field.  We don't know how humble or egomaniacal or self-conscious he is.

We do know he is not much of a fielder, and never was, and will probably never be.

I think you are overthinking this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

I believe Myers on this one.

Yeah, I agree. Theres at a couple replays that were a close view, and you could see at least 4-5 sox players throughout. of the replays I saw, none were moving their mouth. The only ones i didnt see were Koji and Bres, but I doubt they did it. Theres pleny of videos, and if a sox player did it Jennings would have immediately saw or heard it since he was right there. I would think that he would instantly turn around and say something to them, wouldnt you? I would. The sox player would have to be pretty much yelling pretty loud, right? Go google some videos. Jennings, nor Meyers react in any way towards the players in the bullen...One of those cameras would have caught someone barking at one of the sox players.

This is almost an expected response for you Exam. At least your consistentWink

LOL I dont see how you could possibly believe that story. Additionally, all you guys are missing my point. My main point is not that the Sox deked him, (maybe they did, maybe not) my main point is that what hes saying could not possibly be the total truth. "Out of the corner of his eye"? When he was looking straight up and Jennings was 15-20 feet behind him and to the right? Watch him, hes looking at the ball, holds his right hand out then suddenly peels off and the ball falls. If anything he looked away from the ball and lost track of it, but if so, why not say so? Answer: the brain of a twenty something year old. His story is at best a half truth.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

We all know he cannot field.  We don't know how humble or egomaniacal or self-conscious he is.

We do know he is not much of a fielder, and never was, and will probably never be.

You could be right, but most of these things are simple human nature, dont really need to know individual personalities. Im not saying this is definitely how it went down, but its how it could have  considering the evidence. The psychology of it is as simple as 1+1, and takes about five seconds of thought. No need to overthink. It takes about a hundred times longer to type it out on here than it does to see it. My biggest worry is him using it as motivation to drive in about a thousand runs between now and Thursday. My hope is it will make him self conscious and neutralize his bat. Its been known to happen.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

And just let me add this....Red Sox fans better be real careful about chanting his name and etc. That kid of thing could backfire, and if it does we will NEVER hear the end of it in the media--especially if TB comes back and wins ths series, which is still eminently possible.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

I don't think the bullpen said anything, and I believe Myers' story. When he was going back for the ball, at one point his head and body were facing in the direction of Jennings, so I'm sure he saw Jennings out of the corner of his eye. Now Jennings wasn't really close, but in the heat of the moment, after Myers had turned looking back to the ball -- and remember Myers was sent back down to work on his defense at the beginning of the year so he isn't great back there -- I can see where Myers lost track of the ball and assumed Jennings was closer and pulled off.

If he heard something from the bullpen, you wouldn't have seen a brawl, but you would have seen him react to the bullpen, and neither him nor Jennings reacted to the bullpen.

So in a long-winded way of saying it, a poor defensive outfielder simply choked. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

You could be right, but most of these things are simple human nature, dont really need to know individual personalities. Im not saying this is definitely how it went down, but its how it could have  considering the evidence. The psychology of it is as simple as 1+1, and takes about five seconds of thought. No need to overthink. It takes about a hundred times longer to type it out on here than it does to see it. My biggest worry is him using it as motivation to drive in about a thousand runs between now and Thursday. My hope is it will make him self conscious and neutralize his bat. Its been known to happen.

I would hope Myers was already plenty motivated, and that is the scary part.  This guy did not make the majors because of his fielding.   Obviously...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Nothing was said in bullpen.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

yup someone in the BP

pulled an arod

It wasn't the pen.  Had relatives in that section last night who swear it came from the stands about 3 rows behind the pen.  Replay confirms this...DVR is a great thing Zac.

Sorry, dude, your sour grapes su ck worse. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Have to give him credit for walking out into the street after the game and signing autographs and then smiling today when he was mock cheered for catching fly ball.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to soups' comment:

yup someone in the BP

pulled an arod

It wasn't the pen.  Had relatives in that section last night who swear it came from the stands about 3 rows behind the pen.  Replay confirms this...DVR is a great thing Zac.

Sorry, dude, your sour grapes su ck worse. 

once again

I'm the guy getting called out for agreeing with exam & hawk

besides how is that sour grapes

I'm one of the few who thinks/ said there is nothing wrong with it

and appreciates gamesmanship

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts