I don't get it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I don't get it

Notwithstanding the outcome, earlier in the game with runners on 1st and 2nd, no outs, they have Crawford bunt against a left hander moving the runners over to 2nd and 3rd.  So in a tie ballgame in the top of the 9th, the lead off hitter, Ellsbury gets on 1st and they don't have Crawford bunting?????

If he sacrifices and moves Ellsbury to 2nd, with one out, that gives the Sox two chances with premier hitters, Gonzalez and Pedroia, an opportunity to knock him in and break the tie.

And as it turns out Gonzalez's hit would have scored Ellsbury from 2nd.

I still don't get it!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: I don't get it

A lot of differences in the two situations.

-Different pitcher.
    -Bunt with first and second is more productive because it moves two runners to scoring position.
    -Ellsbury on first can steal second.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to Re: I don't get it:
    [QUOTE]A lot of differences in the two situations. -Different pitcher. -Bunt with first and second is more productive because it moves two runners to scoring position. -Ellsbury on first can steal second.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]
    The score was tied, one run should be paramount in that situation. No need for 2 runners there.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

The Sox win a great road victory and people still find a reason to complain.  It's much more fun and satisfying to be simply happy with the win.  You should try it. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't get it : The score was tied, one run should be paramount in that situation. No need for 2 runners there.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, the way it played out was horrible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't get it : The score was tied, one run should be paramount in that situation. No need for 2 runners there.
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

If you're referring to the 7th, he bunted the go ahead run to 3rd with one out.

If one run is paramount, then that's the way to play it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't get it : If you're referring to the 7th, he bunted the go ahead run to 3rd with one out. If one run is paramount, then that's the way to play it.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

The reason that one run was paramount, at that time, was so he could pull Wakefield with the Sox ahead and give a chance to win because, as well as he was pitching tonight he certainly deserved it !! I guess the rest of the season will see scenerios similar to tonight, no matter what the game situation is let's make sure we get Wake #200 !!  LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Folks, what happened the first time the RS had Crawford bunt? They walked A-Gon.

Now what do you think they were going to do with one out and first open this time? Walk A-Gon. So they did not want to take the bat out of A-Gon's hands.

A-Gon had 2 strikes on him when Ellsbury was going probably on a run and hit. Ellsbury mistimed his break and got picked off. But even if it was a straight steal, down in the count and with two strikes on him the RS gladly would have taken the walk at that point.

I actually don't believe nobody picked up on any of that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Why sacrifice when your best runner caN STEAL?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What's up with this?

Jacoby's SB rate:

2007-2008: 59 SB  11 CS  (84%)
    2009:            70 SB  12 CS  (85%)
    2011:            31 SB  11 CS  (74%)

75% is considered the magical number where SBs become effective.
    Are Jacoby's newly built up muscles slowing him down?

Wink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]What's up with this? Jacoby's SB rate: 2007-2008: 59 SB  11 CS  (84%) 2009:            70 SB  12 CS  (85%) 2010:            31 SB  11 CS  (74%) 75% is considered the magical number where SBs become effective. Are Jacoby's newly built up muscles slowing him down?
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

don't you mean 2011;-)

Anyhow, a goal post mover would say that it is just as valuable to have a guy steal 70 bases at an 85% clip with 8 HR's and 7 triples over, say, 45 bases stolen at a 70% clip with 24-27 HR's and 3-4 triples...

hahaha

can't wait to hear something along those lines..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't get it : don't you mean 2011;-) Anyhow, a goal post mover would say that it is just as valuable to have a guy steal 70 bases at an 85% clip with 8 HR's and 7 triples over, say, 45 bases stolen at a 70% clip with 24-27 HR's and 3-4 triples... hahaha can't wait to hear something along those lines..
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Yes, I went back and changed it...thanks.

I'm not bashing Jacoby's season, ram. I'm just concerned about what is going on. Any ideas?

The CS tonight could have been a huge downer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Ellsbury is a stupid baserunner. Speed doesn't mean smart baserunning. As miles go up, % will go down. Hgh is popular in every clubhouse. Tiger Woods was most certainly on it, and will look to replace felon Dr. Galea.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't get it : Yes, I went back and changed it...thanks. I'm not bashing Jacoby's season, ram. I'm just concerned about what is going on. Any ideas? The CS tonight could have been a huge downer.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]I don't know Moon. Hard to read too much into a 5% difference on a sample set around 50. Last night it was a case of two very good plays by the defense. First the pitcher held the ball just long enough to get Ellsbury to commit and make the pickoff move to first. And then the 1B made a perfect throw, right on the bag to 2B and the ball still had to be held on a close play.

Let's keep in mind the difference between 75% and 100% is less than three on 50. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury is a stupid baserunner. Speed doesn't mean smart baserunning. As miles go up, % will go down. Hgh is popular in every clubhouse. Tiger Woods was most certainly on it, and will look to replace felon Dr. Galea.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

Cue the "bellsbury is on PEDs" threads...LOL..this is getting comical

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I don't get it : Cue the "bellsbury is on PEDs" threads...LOL..this is getting comical
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]
    Personally, I'm stunned it took him this long.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Matt Kemp is definitely on the juice.  He was in tight with Manny when he was there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

What we don't know is are the Sox putting on a play or is Ells straight stealing...There's a huge difference, on a straight steal he's looking to get a good jump on the pitcher, on a hit and run he's leaving on the first move, when the pitcher picks up his front foot. Last night he was picked off, on a good move by the pitcher, which is scored as a CS but the reality is that had the pitcher gone home Ells get's the bag easily.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I thought the bunt by CC in the 7th was the right play. Takes away AGon hitting into a double play (he leads the AL in GIDP) and puts men on 2d and 3d.   Good move by Minnesota to walk AGon, but that meant Pedroia came up with the bases loaded and one out.  But he was the one who hit into the inning-ending double play, something he doesn't do very often. 

In the 9th when Ellsbury got that leadoff single, but now CC is going up against a righty reliever and can move the runner with a grounder to the right side or a fly to right or a walk or a single.  Plus, as fivekatz says, sacrificing Ellsbury to second would take the bat out of AGon's hands--another IBB was almost certain because AGon thrives on righty-lefty matchups.  Plus it's possible that right now CC has a hot bat.  9 for 12 against the Yankees, and 1 for 4 last night. 

I was amazed at how close the play was at second.  Ellsbury was not only fast but smart, going after the ball in the glove, which almost worked.  Normally, a pickoff means the runner is dead meat in a rundown. 

To me the larger lesson is that small ball doesn't always work.  It worked great Sunday night in the bottom of the 9th when Scutaro doubled off Rivera, and Ellsbury moved him to 3B with one out and Pedroia coming to bat, followed by a first pitch fly/liner to "deep" left.   

If Crawford is in the process of becoming the CC of old, if Lowrie/Scutaro can keep hitting in the SS slot (usually, 9th), and if the Salty/Tek tandem can continue to hit adequately, this is a pretty darn good lineup and not one that should rely heavily on small ball. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Ellsbury was not only fast but smart, going after the ball in the glove, which almost worked

Critical game juncture and Ellsbury gets picked off with one of the hottest hitters in baseball up. Tie game, less than 2 outs. Lefthanded pitcher.

And we get "Ellsbury is smart".

Max, you are doting idiot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]Ellsbury was not only fast but smart, going after the ball in the glove, which almost worked Critical game juncture and Ellsbury gets picked off with one of the hottest hitters in baseball up. Tie game, less than 2 outs. Lefthanded pitcher. And we get "Ellsbury is smart". Max, you are doting idiot.
    Posted by softylaw[/QUOTE]

Hot for the season, not so hot lately.  0 rbi's in the Yankees series.  I completely agree that getting picked off was not smart, just saying that he made the best of a bad bargain. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Fair enough, max.

Sections
Shortcuts