I Figured Out The Problem With The Red Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

I Figured Out The Problem With The Red Sox

The problem is there is no plan in place. Either player the kids or not. One day Betts is playing and next day he is not. Same goes for Xander and they move him from SS to 3b. There is no consistency here! How are the kids suppose to develop if no consistency is in place? The talent is there the plan is not! If the Sox can get the talent and plan in place they could have a very good second half after the ALL Star break.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: I Figured Out The Problem With The Red Sox

Good points, but how does that explain regular, veteran players who are all underperforming at once this year? In fact, you could argue that's what created the crisis you're describing. There would be no schizoid ID crisis shuffling kids in and out if the regular guys on this team would just do what their baseball cards say they do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

How does that explain regular, veteran players who are all underperforming at once this year? In fact, you could argue that's what created the crisis you're describing. There would be no schizoid ID crisis shuffling kids in and out if the regular guys on this team would just do what their baseball cards say they do.

Easy, answer. Several of the veterans had career years in 2013. Gomes, Nava for example are not starters. They are two players over the age of 27 that had career years. The young players are feeling the pressure. What Sox need is a true leadoff guy that can create holes when other team is fielding. When you have a real base stealer that puts pressure on other teams defense. This will get the kids to see better pitches and not pressure as much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I agree that expecting those guys to repeat that was too much to ask. But even Ortiz, Napoli, and Pedroia have underperformed, and IVC has barely played at all. This is why I started to get a sick feeling as soon as David Ross set Koji down in front of the mound Oct. 30th. That was baseball magic, and when you have THAT kind of magic, you usually pay for it the next year. But still, I wouldn't trade all the memories of 2013 for anything. If 2014 is what it costs, meh, I'm fine with it. It's the ebb and flow of the game. That's why it's pretty hard for me to work up too much indignation over this years flop. We got so much more than we expected last year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Ortiz is a year older. Pedroia I think is hurting more than we think. I think the problem is no consistency or plan in place and the young talent is feeling the pressure cause there is no big veteran bat to help them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Ask any GM or scout in baseball and they will be more than happy to have Xander or Betts on their roster. They all cannot be wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I believe with all my heart that had the bombing not taken place, this team would not have won it all last year. That galvanized the team into a family, put them on a mission, and that was what made the difference. Unfortunately, you can't have a bombing every year for obvious reasons. It's like William Katt on Greatest American Hero without the suit, or Bradley Cooper in Limitless once the pills wore off. What you did was great, but now somehow you are "smaller", and can't figure out how you did it. Some guys that have accomplished incredible feats of bravery in warfare have described this phenomenon when they got back home. It was like they lost something once the crisis was over.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Ask the loyal supporters of Cherington what is wrong with this club. The best they can come up with is , the players are performing below expectations. That is like asking why unemployment is so high, and being told it is because a lot of people are out of work. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Ask the loyal supporters of Cherington what is wrong with this club. The best they can come up with is , the players are performing below expectations. That is like asking why unemployment is so high, and being told it is because a lot of people are out of work. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

Same fans will be be crying if Sox trade away the young talent for a quick fix and we saying why can we not get players like that? The old Sox of the 60s,70s, 80s and 90s use to dot he quick fix thing and how that all work out?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:

Stabbed by Foulke.

Same fans will be be crying if Sox trade away the young talent for a quick fix and we saying why can we not get players like that? The old Sox of the 60s,70s, 80s and 90s use to dot he quick fix thing and how that all work out?

[object HTMLDivElement]

If you're looking at this year, it's time to panic. If you're looking at the next 5 years, things aren't that bad. You can't win every year anyway, no one repeats anymore, and winning 3 out of 10 years is beyond fantastic. Why some a Sox fans are on the brink of insanity over this is more than I know. Eye rolling? Yes. Annoyance and aggravation? Yes. But some posters on here have lost their grip.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

The problem is there is no plan in place. Either player the kids or not. One day Betts is playing and next day he is not. Same goes for Xander and they move him from SS to 3b. There is no consistency here! How are the kids suppose to develop if no consistency is in place? The talent is there the plan is not! If the Sox can get the talent and plan in place they could have a very good second half after the ALL Star break.

Plan 9 From Outer Space

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Red Sox have 3 titles in a 10 year span. They won with some young talent in 2007 and 2013. It can be done and they are looking long term. The most successful businesses are built with long term in mind. Short term thinking is what has ruined America and why we have issues ib this country.

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement]

If you're looking at this year, it's time to panic. If you're looking at the next 5 years, things aren't that bad. You can't win every year anyway, no one repeats anymore, and winning 3 out of 10 years is beyond fantastic. Why some a Sox fans are on the brink of insanity over this is more than I know. Eye rolling? Yes. Annoyance and aggravation? Yes. But some posters on here have lost their grip.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement].  I don't quite understand your response. Who is calling for a quick fix? Who is saying to trade the young talent ?  The question is : How did a championship team fall so completely apart in one off season ?  Very few expected a repeat championship. But who expected this ? Should the G.M. be answerable for this ? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Post removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:

I'll take responsibility for how bad the '14 Sox became...I'm accountable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

[object HTMLDivElement].  Thank you , Danny Cater. I was starting to think it was my fault. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from razcreation. Show razcreation's posts

Many of the fans and media want a quick fix cause we struggling in 2014. Sox need a true leadoff hitter who can steal bases.

Stabbed by Foulke.

[object HTMLDivElement].  I don't quite understand your response. Who is calling for a quick fix? Who is saying to trade the young talent ?  The question is : How did a championship team fall so completely apart in one off season ?  Very few expected a repeat championship. But who expected this ? Should the G.M. be answerable for this ? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Keep the kids and keep them in the lineup! Please send Drew someplace! Sorry for the inevitable Jake Peavy, you have value! Buchholz not so much.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Plan 9 From Outer Space

Glen or Glenda?    LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

"I didn't anticipate this home stand after our road trip." John Farrell

That Farrell is a pill, a sleeping pill. 

What's wrong with the SOX? Easy, the team is short on talent, the manager is short on managing, and the FO is short on brains.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

How does that explain regular, veteran players who are all underperforming at once this year? In fact, you could argue that's what created the crisis you're describing. There would be no schizoid ID crisis shuffling kids in and out if the regular guys on this team would just do what their baseball cards say they do.

Easy, answer. Several of the veterans had career years in 2013. Gomes, Nava for example are not starters. They are two players over the age of 27 that had career years. The young players are feeling the pressure. What Sox need is a true leadoff guy that can create holes when other team is fielding. When you have a real base stealer that puts pressure on other teams defense. This will get the kids to see better pitches and not pressure as much.

Gomes had 4 seasons better than 2013, in fact 2013 was a let down, especially vs LHPs -- which was the reason we got him in the first place....

OPS vs LHPs

2005: .888

2006: 1.051

2007: .918

2008: .705 (only 114 PAs)

2009: .914

2010: .856

2011: .863

2012: .974

2013: .795

2014: .880

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Gomes biggest plus last year was he hit some huge, huge walk-off hits and his big HR v. Cards. Not that impressive overall.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While losing Ellsbury's speed hurts, our leadoff OBP is down just 15 points from last year. To me, our biggest weakness is the fact that our 6, 7, 8 and 9 slots all have OBPs below .300 and OPS below .631.

2013: OBP/OPS

6) .350/.811

7) .320/.750

8) .339/.781

9) .307/.703

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

[object HTMLDivElement].  Thank you , Danny Cater. I was starting to think it was my fault. 

Do you realize he's mocking you for your " should the GM be held answerable" comment? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

Gomes biggest plus last year was he hit some huge, huge walk-off hits and his big HR v. Cards. Not that impressive overall.

If there weren't 30 teams in major league baseball and a sparsity of true talent, slugs like Gomes would play their careers in the minors. I'm old enough to remember when there was only 16 teams; I doubt Gomes would even make it to triple A.

Sections
Shortcuts