I get it. Over inflated salaries & egos! Time for a change!!! Big salaries & small egos? At least they won't be around Boston for long!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In all seriousness, I really do get it.  The market sucks!  We are WAY overpaying for mediocre players....  WAY overpaying!!!  BUT....  The good news is, these turkeys will not be around for long.  Short 1, 2 & 3 year contracts.  I guess that's the change.  HOPE & CHANGE!  Heavy on the HOPE!  Still, the market sucks!  There aren't many quality second tier guys out there.  The big move I still don't get???  DREW???   I guess he's decent at SS, & he gains us, what???  .25 - .35 on Iggy????  Who is clearly the better SS.  Now, I'm hardly an Iggy fan, but WHAT THE FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF????  10 MILLION for this turkey?  As though the family hasn't suffered the slings & arrows of OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE in Boston already.  OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE!!!!  Here we go again with a dud Drew.......  Are you kidding me???  The other signings I can live with, but this is simply a BRIDGE TOOOO FAR!

Having said all this, I still get it.  The market blows!  We take what we can get.  We plug the holes.  Live to fight another day, & don't re-mortgage our future.  Ok ok ok..... I get it.  I guess the Sox have me by the shorts anyway, as I will still live & die on every pitch & at bat.  I'm still hoping for the best, DESPERATELY PRAYING for major over-achievement!!!!!!  

In the end, I feel like I've come home to the real Red Sox.  The ones I've known for 50 years...  We'll get 'em next year!  Hope beyond hope!  We can still do this!!!!  A tad bit uninspired, but I kind of like being back to those "loveable" losers, who just might pull one out this next year.  At least they will certainly be more LOVEABLE this coming year!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT FOR 2013 MLB!  This will be the Red Sox year!!!!   :)

p.s.   For the uninitiated.......   YES!  One can b itch like hell and still be the biggest REAL Red Sox fan on the planet.  :)  Get over it  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Just trying to bump the duplicates off the front page!  Sorry!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Just trying to bump the duplicates off the front page!  Sorry!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

OK...  Done bumping.  Now read my brilliant OP  :)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The big move I still don't get???  DREW???   I guess he's decent at SS, & he gains us, what???  .25 - .35 on Iggy????  Who is clearly the better SS.

Drew will have somewhere around 200 points higher in OPS.  That is significant.  And the fact that he hits lefty helps balance the lineup.  There is a reason why AZ was paying him, and a reason wny Oakland traded for him.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Nobody "threw Drew in a dumpster". stupidity at its finest. Drew was starting to get his production back on trasck after being out a year with a serious ankle injury. His numbers were down, like victorino and Napoli because of an injury. The A's are a small market team, thus they dont like to pay. Were not, so we can.

Enough is enough on complaining about salaries. With the new restrictions on compensation for FA and limitations on draft pick compensation, it was only obvious, at least to some of us, that FA prices were going up.

Ejax get 13M per for 4 years. Dempster, a similar pitcher as far as durability goes, got the same $$ but less years due to age. Upton got 15M per for 5 years. Victorino was offered 11M per for 4 years but took 13M for one less year.

The fact is this is what the market value is for these kind of players, like it or agree with it or not.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox clubhouse seems to be a positive and friendly one.  But they still need to win games. 

I think the Red Sox players will bust their a**es off every game.  Who knows?  They might become the 2012 version of the A's or O's. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

The fact is this is what the market value is for these kind of players, like it or agree with it or not.

The fact is that the market value is a moment in time, not a static "on this date some fool paid this for BJ Upton".

The fact is that, like or refuse to accept it, these kind of players do not provide the value and fit vs. the better value and fit alternatives, not that you have a clue what that is.

S. Drew and 10M for one year, and "the A's just don't like to pay". The A's could have easily paid for this bum, and they said "no way!" on a one year deal for this "his ankle was hurting and now he's starting to hit".

A. The Red Sox didn't need S. Drew, aka "no one wants to pay me 2nd rate SS"

B. There are too many better value and fit alternatives to S. Drew to list

C. The Red Sox management is proven incompetent on SS, seeking pipe dream "slugging SS" profiles, to the point where they ignore how demanding the position is, requiring a certain body type that is durable and outstanding on defensive skill.

D. S. Drew and 10 million is a disgrace! There is no requirement that the Red Sox "had to pay the market"

E. Nothing worse that the bugaboo of "look what such and such go, we got pay the market", do defend embarrasing labor selection decisions

what available SSs were out there that are better than drew?? since "there are too many to name" it should be easy for you....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

The fact is that the market value is a moment in time, not a static "on this date some fool paid this for BJ Upton".

The fact is that, like or refuse to accept it, these kind of players do not provide the value and fit vs. the better value and fit alternatives, not that you have a clue what that is.

S. Drew and 10M for one year, and "the A's just don't like to pay". The A's could have easily paid for this bum, and they said "no way!" on a one year deal for this "his ankle was hurting and now he's starting to hit".

A. The Red Sox didn't need S. Drew, aka "no one wants to pay me 2nd rate SS"

B. There are too many better value and fit alternatives to S. Drew to list

C. The Red Sox management is proven incompetent on SS, seeking pipe dream "slugging SS" profiles, to the point where they ignore how demanding the position is, requiring a certain body type that is durable and outstanding on defensive skill.

D. S. Drew and 10 million is a disgrace! There is no requirement that the Red Sox "had to pay the market"

E. Nothing worse that the bugaboo of "look what such and such go, we got pay the market", do defend embarrasing labor selection decisions

what available SSs were out there that are better than drew?? since "there are too many to name" it should be easy for you....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Glad to tweek kimmy with the Headline.  Calm down now girly.  Breathe!  I rarely even start a thread, but try for some perspective.  Pretty balanced....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Only 4 lines kimmy, & the original intent was not to bump.  I simply didn't realize the system was still buggy, & the SEND button's seeming inaction caused me to hit send multiple times.  Dumb move on my part, & I'm sorry about the multiple posts. 

I'll leave the constant conspiracy theories to you & the brown shirts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Only one inch & so much perspective on a no win, overinflated FA market

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I've said this before, but I like the guys Ben's brought in. The main reason being that they're ballplayers not prima donnas. The other thing that Ben's up to (and I can't claim credit for this idea) is creating a positive atmosphere with good role models for the kids as we break them in.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I've said this before, but I like the guys Ben's brought in. The main reason being that they're ballplayers not prima donnas. The other thing that Ben's up to (and I can't claim credit for this idea) is creating a positive atmosphere with good role models for the kids as we break them in.

Hey Carnie , Merry Christmas !

Rumors of my post-election suicide were somewhat exaggerated.

Not sure I understand the value (?) of Gomes over Cody Ross , but then still harbor ill will toward Gomes for old Tampa vs. Boston slugfest.

Plus S. Drew way too much money.Now we're cornering the market on r/h short relievers ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Not sure I understand the value (?) of Gomes over Cody Ross , but then still harbor ill will toward Gomes for old Tampa vs. Boston slugfest.

Plus S. Drew way too much money.Now we're cornering the market on r/h short relievers ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I remember the fight between Gomes and Coco Crisp.  Four years later, they were playing next to each other in Oakland.   Never burn a bridge.   LOL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I do agree with this.  I'm a bit underwhelmed, but still ok.  Sure we've way overpaid for some 2nd & 3rd tier talent, but they sound like decent guys.  I sure hope this Drew has a stronger work ethic?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to jimedfred's comment:

Merry Christmas to you too my friend. Those were the good old days of Tampa Boston weren't they? Remember after that brawl how Coco said that James Shields punched like a girl? I loved Coco for that. By all accounts though, Gomes is a good teammate and he hits LHP about as well as Ross and is no worse in the field. Of course it would be pretty hard to be worse than Ross in the field. I think the Sox may want to platoon Kalish in LF this year, and Gomes came cheaper than Ross. Well on a shorter deal anyway. I think we were pretty lefty heavy out in the pen weren't we? Miller, Morales, Breslow I think Ben may try to move at least one lefty reliever. I'm ok with Drew for one year as it really looked like Iglesias could use another year at AAA when he came up last year.

Sections
Shortcuts