I give Lav credit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I give Lav credit

Lav doesn't have a hit yet but has hit the ball hard in at least three of his five AB's.  The credit I give him is for how he's playing overall defensively and handling Dempsters wild pitches so far tonight.  I have never seen Demp this wild "ever" so hopefully he settles down or we keep scoring.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: I give Lav credit

Some may say part of a catcher's job is to "settle down" a wild pitcher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

And now he gets a hit and an RBI.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad he got the hit and rbi. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I didn't expect that out of you moon.  Lav has been to the mound quite often tonight, whether it be to stay on the same page or settle Demp down.  I know how hard it is for all the Salty fans who state Lavs defense can't hold a candle to him but give the kid credit. 

Lav has blocked every wild pitch, stopped a runner from going to second on a throw to the plate by blocking another, executed a nice run down and now finally has his first hit after hitting the ball hard a few times. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I hope he stays. He's MUCH improved over last year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

I hope he stays. He's MUCH improved over last year.

Lav is under team control for some time so hopefully he gets a fair shot.  Lav is also as good or better at 25 defensively without Tek and Ross mentoring him.  Will he be better than Salty in the long run?  Who knows but I'm not going to bash the kids defense.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

Lav should give Dempter a quaalude.

Mr. Doumit meet Mr. Lav :)

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

With Ross under contract for one more year, Lavarnway and Vazquez should be doing the catching by 2015, with one of them taking over for Salty not later than 2014, if not sooner.

I agree, the catching position looks a lot better moving forward than it has in years.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Lav the forgotten man.... never heard much of him all Spring..... glad to have him here though!

Sometimes I think the Red Sox front office is programming Lavarnway to fail so they can keep their "pet" Satalamacchia behind the dish.  They run Ryan up and down on the Pawtucket shuttle, then keep him glued to the bench until he gets stale from sitting and wonder why he isn't hitting.  To me I really am beginning to think they are afraid he might just do well enough to force his entry in the lineup......then what do they do?  They signed Ross for two years when one would have been enough and they insist Jarrod is the answer to their catching problems when most of us know he extends at-bats because he can't catch foul tips worth a da@n, has a scatter arm, does not call that great a game and in his third year with us still is a work in little progress behind the dish.  Just my opinion.

Catch you all tomorrow.  I hope we can turn the hat trick then.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I didn't expect that out of you moon.

It wasn't meant as a slam on Lava. It was meant as a slam on those who bash Salty for the same. (Not you)

I have always been a big Lava supporter, although I think his real calling will be as a DH after Papi retires.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

Lav the forgotten man.... never heard much of him all Spring..... glad to have him here though!

Sometimes I think the Red Sox front office is programming Lavarnway to fail so they can keep their "pet" Satalamacchia behind the dish.  They run Ryan up and down on the Pawtucket shuttle, then keep him glued to the bench until he gets stale from sitting and wonder why he isn't hitting.  To me I really am beginning to think they are afraid he might just do well enough to force his entry in the lineup......then what do they do?  They signed Ross for two years when one would have been enough and they insist Jarrod is the answer to their catching problems when most of us know he extends at-bats because he can't catch foul tips worth a da@n, has a scatter arm, does not call that great a game and in his third year with us still is a work in little progress behind the dish.  Just my opinion.

He was the starting catcher last September and couldn't do anything. Both times he started this year the pitchers got rocked. He is not helping his own case.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Lav doesn't have a hit yet but has hit the ball hard in at least three of his five AB's.  The credit I give him is for how he's playing overall defensively and handling Dempsters wild pitches so far tonight.  I have never seen Demp this wild "ever" so hopefully he settles down or we keep scoring.

The more that he plays, the more that you will see the "NEXT CARLTON FISK" !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Had Saltalamacchia been back there, many would have blamed him for Dempster's perforamnce tonight...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Had Saltalamacchia been back there, many would have blamed him for Dempster's perforamnce tonight...

And Salty doesn't stop the in-the-dirt pitches !!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

He's a far better catcher than Salty right now. I think he should stay and at least start against LH pitching and maybe pinch hit against leftys. I hope he stays. He's MUCH improved over last year.

Lav is under team control for some time so hopefully he gets a fair shot.  Lav is also as good or better at 25 defensively without Tek and Ross mentoring him.  Will he be better than Salty in the long run?  Who knows but I'm not going to bash the kids defense.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to seabeachfred's comment:

Lavarnway did nothing, like Iggy, to prove he was ready last year. With catching, it takes longer to develop. They knew they had a gem in Vasquez, so I imagine they signed Ross for 2 years figuring Salty would walk, allowing Lavarnway to split time with Ross in 2014 and finally having Lavarnway and Vasquez by 2015, if not sooner. Sound like a plan?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to MrSpock's comment:

Lav might be the number 1 catching candidate for 2014. Salty won't be back and Ross is the backup. Christian Vazquez still needs to develop offensively. He is ready now defensively.  

Vasquez has made some huge improvements over the last year. Lower K rate, Higher BB rate. He was asked to work soley on offense this year and has improved greatly, per Rich Gedman. I have no worries that this kid will be ready no later than 2015, if not sooner. Hes going to make RSN very happy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Lava w/ 2 RBI on the night& a big play at the plate. Not sure i'd blame the catcher for wild pitches when even Demp himself said he had nothing going in last night and lacked control. That DP by Pedroia & Lava was great to see. I just hope Pedroia, if in range of 1B or wherever Nap is, gets the go ahead on those pop-ups. I dont care whos ball it is, if in range the better fielder should get the shot at catching it.