I give Lav credit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: I give Lav credit

In response to notin's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Some may say part of a catcher's job is to "settle down" a wild pitcher.

Had Saltalamacchia been back there, many would have blamed him for Dempster's perforamnce tonight...

notin, any fan who blames a catcher when a guy comes out and can't find the SO from the start like Dempster did last night doesn't have a clue. This was more about the improvement in Lavs defense since we saw him last season.  It shows how hard hes working to become a good catching option.  To Salty's credit, he has also improved a great deal but it took him much longer in my opinion just to get where lav is now with some pretty good mentors.

Does this mean one is better than the other?  Maybe not but Lav is under team control, younger and less expensive so I'm sure the FO will have a difficult decision.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Had Saltalamacchia been back there, many would have blamed him for Dempster's perforamnce tonight...

And Salty doesn't stop the in-the-dirt pitches !!!!

BILL, Salty had one of the best WP+PB/inning rates last year. It's hard to imagine him doing that without stopping "in-the-dirt pitches" frequently, especially when you consider how wild our staff was last year.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Without looking at stats Lavarnway easily passes the eye test over Salty defensively.  Of course there is no way to know, but my gut tells me Salty does not make that play at the plate.  My guess is that he would have peeked at the runner and dropped the ball before he got there or not secured it well enough to take the impact.  And Lava's execution of the run down was picture perfect, no hesitation and a throw that was on the money (and kudos to Will on that one, too).  The quick run down kept the other runners from advancing. 

Salty definitely has problems with pitches in the dirt, and I read somewhere (don't remember the source) that the run differential between games caught by Salty and those by Ross was about a full run.  And let's be honest, folks.  Salty cannot throw worth a damn.  He takes way too long to set up to make a throw.   And before you point out all the stolen bases last night, those were strictly on Dempster.  Lava didn't have a chance.  I am in the trade Salty camp. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Lavarnway has clearly cut down on his swing this year and has a better approach than he showed in the majors last year. He's making better contact. Maybe he is just healthier and stonger this year. Reports were that he did get sick in Venezuealan ball and had difficulty recovering from all the weight loss.

With an obvious track positive record of intelligence and steady acjhievement over time, he should be fine going forward. I hope he gets a shot also.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

leave it to moon to stat us to death... never using his eyes.... then hill will come in and offer a bunch of different stats to counter moon..... I rely on the eyes.

Burrito, you're nothing but a big troublemaker..LOL    Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

And Salty doesn't stop the in-the-dirt pitches !!!!

BILL, Salty had one of the best WP+PB/inning rates last year. It's hard to imagine him doing that without stopping "in-the-dirt pitches" frequently, especially when you consider how wild our staff was last year.

MOON, I am confused.... See SOFTIES post.....  I do agree with Softy, just trying to figure out your spin on this one !!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I use my eyes.

I watch every inning of every game every year.

I have said Salty has looked bad at stopping pitches in the dirt this year, but it is a small sample size compared to last year's very good job stopping bad pitches. A fact that many here chose to not see even though you were supposedly watching the games not the numbers.

The numbers reflect how many balls got by Salty as a runner advanced. He was something like the 5th best ctahcer in MLB in WP + PB per inning caught. You can't have been terrible last year at blocking bad pitches and put up those numbers over 800 innings, yet softy & Co chose to stick to their preconcieved notions and spout lies and distortions.

It's not "spin", BILL. It's facts. It's not stats "Burrito", it's using my eyes and supporting my beliefs and observations with data.

Salty has improved over the years, but some of you can't deal with that. You pegged him as a "butcher", a "slacker" or a "poor hitter" way back when, and somehow there is no room in your paradigm for growth. Like if somehow salty gets better, it means you were wrong about him 3 years ago. 

I was a big Salty basher in 2011 and the start of last year. I was watching the games, and I noticed improvement blocking the plate, working with the staff, and hitting the ball. I looked to see if the numbers supported my beliefs, and they did. I did not use tiny sample sizes. I did not pick and choose new stats to make my point like the clown does. I have used the same numbers I have used for decades. Most of the data shows Salty has improved over the period from 2010 to early 2012. He still has major issues in soem areas, but he is still young enough to continue improving. His .335+ OBP is a major step in the right direction, but non of you are obsrving the improvement. All you are seeing is more K's, more WPs, more PBs in a quarter season sample size and then are rushing to contruct the gallows.

Catching is not a weakness of this team. Throwing yes, but overall the defense is average at worst, the future prospects are bright, the offense is top 10 right now. I don't need numbers to believe this. It's true.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

leave it to moon to stat us to death... never using his eyes....

Agreed, and I would add that he's like this dominating paternalistic board monitor who does these loaded stat sample snipets in a lame attack to try and scold another poster. The Wakefield "stats" campaign was hysteria. The eyes showed a fat old veteran who was pushing 50 years old and who was so bad, overall, covering first, getting hitters out and keeping runners from almost automatically moving up a base. I'm laughing at the thought of him turning up his intensity on defending Wakefield with stats. He liked to defend him by calling him "he's just our #6 starter for Pete's sake", but he failed to comprehend that Wakefield was useless as relief pitcher and because of the CBA and Wakefield himself not accepting a minor league contract, couldn't be parked in AAA as a #6 starter. He was wasting a roster space, which any eyes could see!

I never even read his lengthy stat snipets because they are always either loaded or mundane. 

then hill will come in and offer a bunch of different stats to counter moon..... I rely on the eyes.

Hill is the ultimate in the WAR/value mundanity, but I usually read his short posts because they are a quick read and sometimes make a good point.

Burrito, it reminds me of the American people still being polled as having a favorable opinion of Obama, who, even for the blind, is violating his Constituional authority and obstructing justice and absusing power and covering it up via the following modus:

A. I just learned about it as the same time as you saw it on Yahoo

B. It's an ongoing "indepedent"  investigation and I must stay behind my chinese wall

C. My dog ate my homework but we will fix the problem tomorrow

And the American people blindly say "we view him fovorably".

It's like the last years for Wakefield and Varitek, who most fans preceived as "great innings eater" and "great handler of the pitching staff".

Pure drivel.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Salty has been beaten up a ton on this site, but that's not my intention here. Since he's going to be back there, one of the things I'd like to see him improve on would be framing the pitches better, especially pitches at the knees. He tends to catch low pitches and let his glove drop even lower with the result that the umps rarely call strikes even for pitches that that actually crossed the plate at the knees.