I have a question about David Ortiz. What does Francona do with him during the 9 game road trip?Francona says Gonzalez possibly in right field!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

I have a question ...

Ortiz is having a great year so far. So is Adrian Gonzalez. Gonzalez stated earlier in the season that he liked to play in all 162 games. Starting this Friday, the Sox go on a 9 game road trip playing NL clubs. There will be no DH. How does Francona get playing time for Ortiz?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: I have a question about David Ortiz.

In Response to I have a question about David Ortiz.:
    Ortiz is having a great year so far. So is Adrian Gonzalez. Gonzalez stated earlier in the season that he liked to play in all 162 games. Starting this Friday, the Sox go on a 9 game road trip playing NL clubs. There will be no DH. How does Francona get playing time for Ortiz?
    Posted by -EdithBunker-
    IT WILL BE INTERESTING, FOR SURE !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Honestly, Gonzalez hasn't gotten any rest this year.  Would seem the perfect time to rest him a bit (a game or three).  I mean, you are already in a worst case scenerio for these two, why not make the best of it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

More than likely he WILL sit Gonzo a couple games..This is why it is a distinct disadavntage for AL teams to go to NL parks..The DH, most AL pitchers dont bat well or run well, and we all know what happened to Buch last year..But I digress..

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: I have a question about David Ortiz. What does Francona do with him during the 9 game road trip?

I hope, if he isn;t going to get much PT, that Francona at least makes Ortiz wear his pant bottoms above the stirrup socks.  He looked so cute in those 1908 throwback unis.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: I have a question about David Ortiz.:
    More than likely he WILL sit Gonzo a couple games..The DH, most AL pitchers dont bat well or run well, and we all know what happened to Buch last year..But I digress..
    Posted by southpaw777

Look at Chen-Ming Wang  A very promising career that fell apart rounding 3rd in an interleague game.  He would have been huge for the Yankees in their new launching pad.... er stadium.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Re: I have a question about David Ortiz. What does Francona do with him during the 9 game road trip?

I highly doubt Gonzo will sit, he hates taking games off. Ortiz may only pinch hit for the trip

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

It's why they have to blow up the interleague play...THE NOVELTY IS OVER, BUD...SERIOUSLY, ENOUGH...TALK ABOUT INCONSISTENCY...YOU HAVE DH IN ALL-STAR GAMES, YOU HAVE DH IN WS, BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE A DH IN A NL PARK WHEN AL TEAMS ARE VISITING.....AH, DUH, LOSING...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

I think there are a few questions about ortiz, like how did he suddenly revert back to 2007 form?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

even when the all-star is in a NL city, there is no DH. how completely stupid is that?
    the NL definitely has the advantage in these inter-league games because of the pitchers having to hit. fortunately, the NL sux so bad that they can't even take advantage of this situation.
    but the brain trusts in the NL must be right; all baseball fans want to see the pitchers bat; what an exciting moment.
    here's a realignment idea; get rid of the NL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

There are two threads on this subject so I'll post this on both threads.

Offensively, there's hardly a dropoff between A-Gon and Ortiz this year so far.

A-Gon: 24 2B, 3 3B, 15 HR, 64 RBI, .348 BA, .403 OBP, .607 SLG, 1.010 OPS
    Ortiz:   19 2B, 1 3B, 17 HR, 46 RBI, .320 BA, .399 OBP, .602 SLG, 1.000 OPS

So while you don't want to sit A-Gon, it's not a ludicrous notion to want to have Ortiz play too. The big difference is defense at 1B, but Ortiz has never embarrassed himself at 1B. He doesn't have a lot of range, but he does a good job fielding stuff hit to him and scooping throws. He's actually has been surprisingly good at scooping low throws. And I still remember that play in the World Series when he charged a ball and threw out a runner at 3B.

There are three three-game series. Unless the pitching matchup isn't good, I say you start him the middle game each series. Give him three or four at-bats. Use A-Gon to PH for someone late then put him in at 1B for the last two innings. If the game is a blowout, heck, just give A-Gon the day off. If all three games are blowouts, that still will give A-Gon 159 games played this year. It might do him good in the long run.

In the other six games, you let Ortiz PH. That will give Ortiz about 15 AB give or take in those nine games.

If this was the last two years, then fine, it's no issue. You PH Ortiz. But Ortiz has earned the starts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: I have a question about David Ortiz. What does Francona do with him during the 9 game road trip?:
    There are two threads on this subject so I'll post this on both threads. Offensively, there's hardly a dropoff between A-Gon and Ortiz this year so far. A-Gon: 24 2B, 3 3B, 15 HR, 64 RBI, .348 BA, .403 OBP, .607 SLG, 1.010 OPS Ortiz:   19 2B, 1 3B, 17 HR, 46 RBI, .320 BA, .399 OBP, .602 SLG, 1.000 OPS So while you don't want to sit A-Gon, it's not a ludicrous notion to want to have Ortiz play too. The big difference is defense at 1B, but Ortiz has never embarrassed himself at 1B. He doesn't have a lot of range, but he does a good job fielding stuff hit to him and scooping throws. He's actually has been surprisingly good at scooping low throws. And I still remember that play in the World Series when he charged a ball and threw out a runner at 3B. There are three three-game series. Unless the pitching matchup isn't good, I say you start him the middle game each series. Give him three or four at-bats. Use A-Gon to PH for someone late then put him in at 1B for the last two innings. If the game is a blowout, heck, just give A-Gon the day off. If all three games are blowouts, that still will give A-Gon 159 games played this year. It might do him good in the long run. In the other six games, you let Ortiz PH. That will give Ortiz about 15 AB give or take in those nine games. If this was the last two years, then fine, it's no issue. You PH Ortiz. But Ortiz has earned the starts

Posted by royf19

If papi is going to PH in 9 games, how exactly is he going to end up with 15 at bats unless he PH's for agon, which is highly unlikely?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: I have a question about David Ortiz. What does Francona do with him during the 9 game road trip?:
    In Response to Re: I have a question about David Ortiz. What does Francona do with him during the 9 game road trip? : If papi is going to PH in 9 games, how exactly is he going to end up with 15 at bats unless he PH's for agon, which is highly unlikely?  
    Posted by --The--Babe---

Read my post again and open your eyes this time.

I never said he was going to PH in 9 games. I said he'd play 1B in three games for about three at-bats then let A-Gon take over in the late innings. That's nine at-bats. Then he PH in six games. 9+6=15.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: I have a question about David Ortiz. What does Francona do with him during the 9 game road trip? : Read my post again and open your eyes this time. I never said he was going to PH in 9 games. I said he'd play 1B in three games for about three at-bats then let A-Gon take over in the late innings. That's nine at-bats. Then he PH in six games. 9+6=15.

Posted by royf19

Ahh...I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

PH only..someone mentioned he would PH for a-gon and go in defensively?  What the?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Re: I have a question about David Ortiz. What does Francona do with him during the 9 game road trip?Francona says possibly ri...

Posted by Nick Cafardo/Globe Staff

Terry Francona acknowledged that the organization has discussed the possibility of Adrian Gonzalez playing rightfield on the nine-game interleague road trip which starts Friday in Pittsburgh.

And Gonzalez said he would be up for it if the Red Sox needed him to do it in an effort to get David Ortiz some playing time. Ortiz has been taking ground balls at first base the last couple of days.

If Gonzalez agrees to play a couple of games out there, Ortiz would have a chance to remain sharp and not just be used in pinch-hit situations. In the past, the Red Sox had a three-man platoon with Mike Lowell-Kevin Youkilis-Ortiz in interleague play in the National League park. That option no longer exists.

Gonzalez' outfield play has been limited to playing right field in winter ball and one game in 2006 with Texas back when the Rangers had Mark Teixeira playing first base.

Boston's dilemma: You don't want to risk getting your star player injured playing a position he's not used. Now playing the outfield doesn't have to be an injury-sentence for a player not used to playing there, but there's always that risk.

"We've talked to him (Gonzalez)," said Francona. "We'll see. I'm glad he's willing to do it. I don't want David to sit nione straight games...maybe a couple of times...I know he's done it. We'll see."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: I have a question about David Ortiz. What does Francona do with him during the 9 game road trip? : Ahh...I misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.
    Posted by --The--Babe---

That's it...tweak them...and when they call you out, kill em with kindness.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Re: I have a question about David Ortiz. What does Francona do with him during the 9 game road trip?Francona says possibly ri...

WEEI:

The annual dilemma about what to do with designated hitter David Ortiz in National League parks has a new twist this year. Terry Francona said he has approached first baseman Adrian Gonzalez about playing right field to allow Ortiz to play first since there is no DH in NL parks. 

"We've actually talked to him about that a little bit," Francona said before Monday's game with San Diego at Fenway. "I guess the best answer I can give you is, 'We'll see.' I'm glad he's willing to do it. I think it's admirable. I don't want David to sit nine straight games, that bothers me. I guess the best thing I can tell you is, 'We'll see.'" 

The biggest concern to Francona is not wanting Ortiz to get stale over the nine-game trip through Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Houston, starting this weekend at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. 

"Maybe a couple times just to get David [playing time] where he doesn't go 10 days without playing because that worries me," Francona said. "Gonzy did it and I know he's done it in Winter Ball and there are a few right fields on this trip that aren't huge so we'll see. That's the best way I can say it. It's gotta work, though. I don't want to outsmart myself but we'll see."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Edith, your title is completely misleading.  AGon would go to RF, not Papi.  Papi will not be playing RF, AGon has winter ball experience out there (FWIW).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Re: I have a question about David Ortiz. What does Francona do with him during the 9 game road trip?Francona says Gonzalez po...

Thank you JB-3. I changed it.

Sections
Shortcuts