I haven't see a sweeter swing since...........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I haven't see a sweeter swing since...........

Teddy Ballgame.........I'm talking about AGon.........the guy is totally locked in and looking completely comfortable at the dish. his swing is flawless and appears to be effortless. middle in, middle out, inside and down or outside and low, doesn't matter. Adrian will somehow find it and get it. I will be willing to say that at this point I honestly believe that he will hit 40 tatahs this season. I'm already walking around saying Mark who?????? thank gawd that theo didn't spend the 180 million on the yankees first baseman. Adrian is going to lead the charge for this team. bank on it.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: I haven't see a sweeter swing since...........

What I find interesting is that the splendid splinter was the last really good hitter we picked up from SD before Gonzo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

ya know something carnie? I completely forgot that fact. erie ain't it??? he crushed that ball to the upperdeck and looked like he was simply taking a BP swing. OMG! I hope CC the bathtub throws him a nice fat pitch in his wheelhouse tonite.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Everything goes in cycles Hammah, Gonzo is going to make Red Sox fans forget about a lot of people before he's done. Maybe not The Kid, but definitely Tex.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I'm with ya carnie..........I'm totally with ya all in.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

Boston Globe:
    Pretty good stat by Elias: Adrian Gonzalez is just the sixth player in Red Sox history to have at least eight home runs and 31 RBI in his first 38 games with the Red Sox, joining Jimmie Foxx (11-35), Ted Williams (8-38), Walt Drop (10-34), Carl Everett (13-38) and Manny Ramirez (13-46).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I was never afflicted with the Mark Teixeira infatuation like some people were...great player, obviously, and I would have been glad to have him, but I haven't spent the last 2 1/2 years mourning and pining for him. 

Gonzalez, though, is an absolute beast. I couldn't be more excited to watch this guy hitting for the Sox for the next 8 years. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: I haven't see a sweeter swing since...........:
    I was never afflicted with the Mark Teixeira infatuation like some people were...great player, obviously, and I would have been glad to have him, but I haven't spent the last 2 1/2 years mourning and pining for him.  Gonzalez, though, is an absolute beast. I couldn't be more excited to watch this guy hitting for the Sox for the next 8 years. 
    Posted by Flapjack07

I'm with you.  I always liked Teixeira but never got all bent out of shape because he went to the Yanks.  It just was not that big of a deal because Youk was fine at first and in the middle of the order.  AG does have a beautiful swing.  The HR's to left field in Toronto were things of beauty!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Hate to bring this up, but maybe Epstein deserves some credit for his long pursuit of Gonzalez and getting him here.  He appears to have had a good inkling of what Gonzalez could mean for this team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Gonzo is going to be the man in beantown for a long time. Mark my words.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Gonzo uses more of the field than the Splendid Splinter, who was more of a pull hitter.

Just sayin'...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Gonzo uses more of the field than the Splendid Splinter, who was more of a pull hitter. Just sayin'...
    Posted by summerof67
    You've got me there summer. I'm just hesitant to compare anyone to The Kid.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mac24. Show mac24's posts

Please don't compare anyone to Ted Williams. It isn't realistic. We all agree Gonzo is a great hitter but com'on now.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Boston Globe: Pretty good stat by Elias: Adrian Gonzalez is just the sixth player in Red Sox history to have at least eight home runs and 31 RBI in his first 38 games with the Red Sox, joining Jimmie Foxx (11-35), Ted Williams (8-38), Walt Drop (10-34), Carl Everett (13-38) and Manny Ramirez (13-46).
    Posted by -EdithBunker-
    That's pretty good company except for Carl 'Dino' Everett of course. Although Carl did come up with the best nickname for Dan Shaugnessy ever.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from majorleague. Show majorleague's posts

..............since Jed Lowrie...............

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 12/6/2007
    Last: 5/14/2011
    In Response to -">Re: I haven't see a sweeter swing since...........:
    I was never afflicted with the Mark Teixeira infatuation like some people were...great player, obviously, and I would have been glad to have him, but I haven't spent the last 2 1/2 years mourning and pining for him.  Gonzalez, though, is an absolute beast. I couldn't be more excited to watch this guy hitting for the Sox for the next 8 years. 
    Posted by Flapjack07

I'm with you.  I always liked Teixeira but never got all bent out of shape because he went to the Yanks.  It just was not that big of a deal because Youk was fine at first and in the middle of the order.  AG does have a beautiful swing.  The HR's to left field in Toronto were things of beauty!
    This is the easiest way for me to agree with two at once.

I have to say, Theo sure has trouble analyzing talent.  Haaaaaaa................

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

.... manny ramirez

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

I always hated Teix. There is something about him that has always rubbed me the wrong way.  His spurning of the sox and using John Henry's offer to drive up the final price made me like him even less. It is typical Boras and Boras' clients 101 MO and it is one thing that is making it more and more difficult for families to enjoy live MLB games but that is a topic for another thread.

Gonzo by contrast is perfect for this team!  Though he hits like Manny from the left side, he is the anti Manny in nearly every way!  He is a great teammate who wants to play 162 games and is a gold glove caliber defender!  How many players today are that dedicated?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

What surprised me was seeing the comparison between AG and Teixeira.  Teixeira has better career numbers in RBIs, HRs and average.  That shocked me.  Then again, the Stadium has a short porch in right and Gonzalez was playing in a massive park in SD.

Those numbers are misleading.  Gonzalez is going to leave Tex in his wake in the AL east.  The ball he hit two nights ago was utterly crushed, and last night Swisher didn't even move on the HR in the 7th.

This team is going places...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I hate to say it...and I could be wrong because it has been a LONG time.....but.......that HR last night.......reminded of a guy in his prime (mid 80's) who is now the manager in LA..............

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

donnie baseball????? really????

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

On just that one HR last night yes.  Being able to step a little out of the box and turn on the high fastball vs a LH I thought so.......

But the more impressive thing was watching Gonzo adjust aftet getting out in his first 2 or 3 AB's pretty feabily.  From the Gammons interview, I had a sense that Gonzo would keep on adjusting and that eventually he would figure it out.  That's why I was surprised Giradi kept CC in there - you don't want to give Gonzo have too many looks at the same pitcher.  I think Drew could really learn a lot from Gonzo on how to make in-game adjustments.  It was really a beautiful thing to see.  Gonzo is a very intelligent hitter - I think we are going to be in for quite a treat......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carpin. Show carpin's posts

I hate to say it...and I could be wrong because it has been a LONG time.....but.......that HR last night.......reminded of a guy in his prime (mid 80's) who is now the manager in LA..............
    Posted by andrewmitch

I can't belive it..... I agree with you on something

Donnie Baseball is the reason I'm a Yankee fan, he had the best swing I ever saw (live), an effortless swing, until probably now Adrian is the real deal; when he is completely healthy he might hit 50HR a season, obviously the league will adjust but at this point he looks unstoppable

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

True dat, mac. A little early to be comparing Gonzo to The Kid.

But for the record, I was comparing styles, not stats.

The results will speak for themselves years hence.

Sections
Shortcuts