I know many here equate Middlebrooks with Longoria-but what should we do if that's far from true?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I know many here equate Middlebrooks with Longoria-but what should we do if that's far from true?

I for one am growing increasingly alarmed by what I'm seeing at the plate from Will. His splits are absolutely horrific! His .234 OBP is perfectly explained by his shocking innability to hit right handed pitching. In 120 AB's .175...are you kidding me? While I don't doubt he's had some true back tenderness recently, it's obvious he's been shut down because he simply cannot hit major league pitching. The question now, at 90 AB's shy of last seasons total, is whether he's the .288 15 HR guy we saw last season for 1/2 the year, or he's the hapless .201 hitting wreck we're seeing this season. I for one think it's obvious at the very least there's significant reason for concern that he may not be the real deal afterall. How long should we wait for an improvement? A .234 OBP from a corner infielder? Good grief!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: I know many here equate Middlebrooks with Longoria-but what should we do if that's far from true?

Who in there right mind equated Middlebrooks with Longoria??

No matter how much hype Boston fans might have had for Middlebrooks coming up through the system, he is and likely will never have the talent and abilities of Longoria.

You think if TB offered Longoria for Middlebrooks, even up, at any point in their careers, that the Sox would not jump all over that deal? John Henry would personally fly Middlebrooks to TB and give the Jet to Longoria on the way back to Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwaymike33. Show fenwaymike33's posts

Re: I know many here equate Middlebrooks with Longoria-but what should we do if that's far from true?

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

No matter how much hype Boston fans might have had for Middlebrooks coming up through the system, he is and likely will never have the talent and abilities of Longoria.

You think if TB offered Longoria for Middlebrooks, even up, at any point in their careers, that the Sox would not jump all over that deal? John Henry would personally fly Middlebrooks to TB and give the Jet to Longoria on the way back to Boston.

Longoria was a big time prospect from Day One. Middlebrooks was kind of a sleeper in that regard. I love WMB but he is no Longoria

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In July 2011, Globe columnist Nick Cafardo wrote: "Middlebrooks has that Evan Longoria look about him, though Longoria is a special talent and Middlebrooks won’t have the meteoric rise Longoria did."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/07/11/sox_farmhand_middlebrooks_has_the_will_finding_way/

Later in the same column, Cafardo wrote: "While Middlebrooks always will have a healthy number of strikeouts, he’s never going to be Mark Reynolds bad..."

Which player does Will Middlebrooks most closely resemble?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

In July 2011, Globecolumnist Nick Cafardo wrote: "Middlebrooks has that Evan Longoria look about him, though Longoria is a special talent and Middlebrooks won’t have the meteoric rise Longoria did."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/07/11/sox_farmhand_middlebrooks_has_the_will_finding_way/

Later in the same column, Cafardo wrote: "While Middlebrooks always will have a healthy number of strikeouts, he’s never going to be Mark Reynolds bad..."

Nick Cafardo is about the worst guy to predict the outcome of a prospect, suggest a trade, or a FA signing. Hes hasnt a clue IMO. He should just stick to interviews and not playing GM. he has no baseball sense whatsoever when it comes to these things.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwaymike33. Show fenwaymike33's posts

Notice that all Middlebrooks threads where pesky and his site are even mentioned disappear? Weird....pesky pissed someone off...is Larry running the forum? lol

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwaymike33. Show fenwaymike33's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to hill55's comment:

In July 2011, Globecolumnist Nick Cafardo wrote: "Middlebrooks has that Evan Longoria look about him, though Longoria is a special talent and Middlebrooks won’t have the meteoric rise Longoria did."

Nick Cafardo is about the worst guy to predict the outcome of a prospect, suggest a trade, or a FA signing. Hes hasnt a clue IMO. He should just stick to interviews and not playing GM. he has no baseball sense whatsoever when it comes to these things.

LOL...Cafardo is not good at all

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I have been equating Middlebrooks with Butch Hobson and Kevin Kouzmanoff since Middlebrooks was in AA ball.

I wish he was "Mark Reynolds bad" right about now...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Realistically, I would not mind seeing Bogaerts move to 3B, Iglesias take over SS, and Middlebrooks dealt for a useful player.  The Sox could use a LF or a 1B next season. 

Too often I see fans thinking Middlebrooks should transition to 1b.  Really?  Why?  His best ability is 3B defense, so the plan to move him to a position that requires the least amount of defensive skill seems a tad foolish.  And, simply put, he really is not a good hitter.  He will have some good stretches, but they are tougher and tough to wait out.

He makes very little money and plays a tough position, so he does have some trade value.   However, he should have been dealt last off-season...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

And Teakus' avatar still creeps me out...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No one has ever compared Middlebrooks to Longoria other than to draw a contrast.  Middlebrooks had a great first half of 2012 and basically forced the Sox to trade away Youk when they didn't want to.  This year he has hit some dingers, but otherwise has not looked good in the field or at bat.  Right now--just three games, granted--his position is well covered by Iglesias and Ciriaco, but that is not a good long term solution because most teams depend on a good bat at 3B. 

Bottom line:  Middlebrooks still owns 3B until he shows last year was a fluke. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

You have to stay patient with kids. I know its tough, but you got to give it a little more time.
    When he makes contact, the ball rockets off his bat. Tools are there, he has to learn to make adjustments, and learn more about the art of hitting.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

You have to stay patient with kids. I know its tough, but you got to give it a little more time.
    When he makes contact, the ball rockets off his bat. Tools are there, he has to learn to make adjustments, and learn more about the art of hitting.

Actually, the plate disciplne and patience tools are not there and have never been...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

He's a kid impatient as most are in their early stages.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I know Seattle gave Smoak like 3 years to develop, and he still hasn't been what they were expecting, at least lets see what Middlebrooks does as season goes on, just be patient.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I know Seattle gave Smoak like 3 years to develop, and he still hasn't been what they were expecting, at least lets see what Middlebrooks does as season goes on, just be patient.

Smoak might not be the best example for showing the rewards of being patient with younger players...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Exactly thats what my post said, they are still throwing him out there, and he hasn't developed. 3 years now, Middlebrooks hasn't really had a full season yet.

Sorry if I wrote it wrong.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

My expectations for Middlebrooks are these.
    Get your Defense down, you can save tons of runs at this Position. Robinson made career at this position, and he was an OK hitter.

Hit in the clutch, I'll take a .250 hitter, if he hits .300 with RISP. Should help his patience at the plate.

Thats it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Exactly thats what my post said, they are still throwing him out there, and he hasn't developed. 3 years now, Middlebrooks hasn't really had a full season yet.

Sorry if I wrote it wrong.

But the issue is, repeatedly throwing Smoak out there has shown to be nothing but the wrong move.   These kind of comparisons work a little better with a success story.

Are you suggesting the Sox should repeatedly throw middlebrooks out there for 2 or 3 more years even if he flounders?   And then non-tender him, which is looking more and more like the inevitable likelhood for Smoak this off-season?

(Interestingly, I actually still like Smoak better than Middlebrooks.  Niether has been very good, but Smoak has shown solid plate discipline and patience, has been historically crippled with bad luck on his BABIP, and has seen Safeco sap his power, at least before this year.   Though more of my Smoak-Lust has been related to hidden value in a discount underperformer, and not so much as a building block player.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Spot on 67.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Looking up the Clutch stats between Smoak and Middlebrooks, I'll take Middlebrooks, better hitter in the Clutch at this point.
    Getting back to the Post, Longoria is one of the best in the game right now. Natural hitter, take him out of their Line-up, and the Rays are in trouble.
    To me, too much expectations to even compare.

Have a Nice Memorial Day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Not optimistic about Middlebrooks development, I expect a strikeout every time he comes to the plate and it seems like a victory when he just makes contact; if he lucks out and hits it on the screws, the ball travels great distances in no matter what direction it's hit, so he certainly possesses above average power.  Hope he proves me wrong and develops into a great hitter, but won't be holding my breath.