I know that Lester is 0-2 in his last three, but he looks pretty good.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I know that Lester is 0-2 in his last three, but he looks pretty good.

Maybe the ship has sailed on 2012, but I really like what I have seen from Lester over his last three starts. 

The Sox may be two games under after tonight and then will have to tear off quite a winning streak in their last 50 games in order to compete (and a majority of those 50 games are on the road).

I still think that Beckett AND Lackey must go and will be profoundly upset if either or (yikes!) BOTH are on the team in 2013.

If we can trade for a Josh Johnson-type, then

1) Josh Johnson
    2) Clay Buchholz
    3) Jon Lester
    4) Felix Doubrbont
    5) Morales/Tazawa or someone else.

I think that getting rid of Beckett and Lackey will really be addition by subtraction.  Get rid of the whole September 2011 dark cloud for good.

The Sox have to trade Ellsbury and do a Cliff Lee/Roy Halladay Phillies-esque swap. Ellsbury to whomever for prospects and those prospects and some of the Sox own to Miami for Johnson. Any prospects not named Matt Barnes, Xander Bogaerts or Jackie Bradley, Jr can go.

Let Papi go unless he wants to come back for 2 X 18.  Anything else and let him go to whomever.  The time has come.

Adrian Gonzalez - 1B
    Dustin Pedroia - 2B
    SOME FA SS or Aviles/Ciriaco/Iglesias
    Will Middlebrooks - 3B
    Crawford - LF
    Ross (resign for cheap $$) or SOME FA - RF
    Kalish/Sweeney - CF
    Salty - C
    Lavarnway - DH

The bullpen will hopefully have Aceves, Bailey, Miller, Morales/Tazawa, Mortensen, Breslow, etc.

Keep Bobby V for 2013.  If things do not go well, then part ways with him after 2013.  I have no problem with him being a lame duck manager in 2013 - if things go poorly during the season then go with an interm manager.

Hire John Farrell unless Bobby V win a World Series.

In 2014 add Barnes, Bogaerts and Bradley and we will make a run in 2014.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: I know that Lester is 0-2 in his last three, but he looks pretty good.

In Response to I know that Lester is 0-2 in his last three, but he looks pretty good.:
    Maybe the ship has sailed on 2012, but I really like what I have seen from Lester over his last three starts.  The Sox may be two games under after tonight and then will have to tear off quite a winning streak in their last 50 games in order to compete (and a majority of those 50 games are on the road). I still think that Beckett AND Lackey must go and will be profoundly upset if either or (yikes!) BOTH are on the team in 2013. If we can trade for a Josh Johnson-type, then 1) Josh Johnson 2) Clay Buchholz 3) Jon Lester 4) Felix Doubrbont 5) Morales/Tazawa or someone else. I think that getting rid of Beckett and Lackey will really be addition by subtraction.  Get rid of the whole September 2011 dark cloud for good. The Sox have to trade Ellsbury and do a Cliff Lee/Roy Halladay Phillies-esque swap. Ellsbury to whomever for prospects and those prospects and some of the Sox own to Miami for Johnson. Any prospects not named Matt Barnes, Xander Bogaerts or Jackie Bradley, Jr can go. Let Papi go unless he wants to come back for 2 X 18.  Anything else and let him go to whomever.  The time has come. Adrian Gonzalez - 1B Dustin Pedroia - 2B SOME FA SS or Aviles/Ciriaco/Iglesias Will Middlebrooks - 3B Crawford - LF Ross (resign for cheap $$) or SOME FA - RF Kalish/Sweeney - CF Salty - C Lavarnway - DH The bullpen will hopefully have Aceves, Bailey, Miller, Morales/Tazawa, Mortensen, Breslow, etc. Keep Bobby V for 2013.  If things do not go well, then part ways with him after 2013.  I have no problem with him being a lame duck manager in 2013 - if things go poorly during the season then go with an interm manager. Hire John Farrell unless Bobby V win a World Series. In 2014 add Barnes, Bogaerts and Bradley and we will make a run in 2014.
    Posted by Bigpapa1977

Then you are going to be "profoundly upset" next year because no GM in his right mind would take either Beckett or Lackey's contract. They are all ours for two more years, as disgusting as that sounds. Lester might, with hard work, become a serviceable #5 SP. Right now he is nothing more than a pile of dung.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

So after 25 weeks of so-so to poor starts you want to rah-rah 3 decent starts? This is why negative posters make posts because thye get sick of watching the rah-rah's make ga-ga posts over nothing

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: I know that Lester is 0-2 in his last three, but he looks pretty good.:
    So after 25 weeks of so-so to poor starts you want to rah-rah 3 decent starts? This is why negative posters make posts because thye get sick of watching the rah-rah's make ga-ga posts over nothing
    Posted by EnchiladaT

But he hasn't had three decent starts. He had one, against the Twins, when he allowed three runs in 8 innings. The other two most recent starts were vs the Yankees (4 runs in 6 innings, game ERA of 6) and yesterday vs the Rangers (6.2 innings, 4 runs allowed, game ERA of 5.40). Lester has sucked all year and there is no objective reason to think that he will suddenly turn it around.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

bench him...like wake in 2011, he is costing us victories late in the season

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

In Response to Re: I know that Lester is 0-2 in his last three, but he looks pretty good.:
    In Response to I know that Lester is 0-2 in his last three, but he looks pretty good. : Then you are going to be "profoundly upset" next year because no GM in his right mind would take either Beckett or Lackey's contract. They are all ours for two more years, as disgusting as that sounds. Lester might, with hard work, become a serviceable #5 SP. Right now he is nothing more than a pile of dung.
    Posted by pumpsie-green

I don't think that the front office/management will make that decision for a third straight season.  They need a change and the Sox will have to eat salary.

I just can't see the Sox keeping both of them on the team going into 2013.

Lester has looked promising in those last three starts.  In several starts before that, he was a puddle - completely horrible.  I am trying to look on the bright side.  As opposed to complaining that the Sox are still a game under .500 with 51 games to go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

As I said on another thread:

It is sad that we are reduced to counting "okay starts" from pitchers who are supposed to be "aces" or All Star calibre.

The top of this rotation is supposed to be giving the team quality starts almost every time out. This is why they are the "top of the rotation." Even in this age, when stastical info calls a "pretty okay start" a "quality start" , we are still gettig outings that fall short of the so-called "quality start" from Beckett , Lester and when he isn't rehabbing or nursing a stiff neck...Daisuke.

Instead we are seeing "quality starts from Dubront and Morales. What's wrong with this picture?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Clamshack. Show Clamshack's posts

The problem here seems to be that the same few posters love to overstate the degree of problems. They seem to relish doing that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

No doubt about it!  Lester has certainly looked better the last 2 games.

Still, It's flat out NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE #! pitcher in your rotation!

5.4 ERA, going only 6 2/3???  Come on now!  No matter how you slice it, and the bats could have helped out so much more, it's just not good enough.  Forget about "not good enoough."  It's not even good for a #3

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Posted by EnchiladaT

His ERA over those last three are 4.77. He looks good?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In Response to Re: I know that Lester is 0-2 in his last three, but he looks pretty good. : I don't think that the front office/management will make that decision for a third straight season.  They need a change and the Sox will have to eat salary. I just can't see the Sox keeping both of them on the team going into 2013. Lester has looked promising in those last three starts.  In several starts before that, he was a puddle - completely horrible.  I am trying to look on the bright side.  As opposed to complaining that the Sox are still a game under .500 with 51 games to go.
    Posted by Bigpapa1977

I don't see a bright side right now. The team has been mediocre for nearly a year and has done nothing to improve the pitching. I cannot see our owner eating the amount of salary it will take to get rid of either stiff. Long term  (ie 2015) if we get a competent GM we could be in a position to be relevant again.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

He gave up 4 earned runs last night in 6 2/3 inns. Those are #5 starter numbers.

Sections
Shortcuts