I love it, Fried Chicken Beer Drinkers and Video Game Players Don't Want Valentine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: I love it, Fried Chicken Beer Drinkers and Video Game Players Don't Want Valentine

Having a beer belly in baseball is like having salt in your diet - it's not a problem until it's a problem.

Plenty of players have been "weight challenged" but were more than capable of performing at a high level.  Tiant was far from svelt.  Prince Fielder isn't going to be winning any awards based on physique.  David Wells's girth was matched only by the arc of his curve ball.  CC Sabathia has been more than fine carrying as much weight as he does.  And Colon's weight seems to have no impact on his ability to pitch.

I bet Beckett is kicking himself for not keeping up with his between start training regiment.  He was great right up until the middle of August.

But then again, maybe the reason his ERA was 2.17 in early August was due to the lighter workouts between starts.  Maybe if he does the work he was supposed to do between starts, he still finishes the season with a record of 13-7, except instead of losing 1-2 in September, he goes 2-1 but goes 2-2 in July instead of 3-1.

I think people are putting too much of the blame for the September collapse on the players.  I think the front office bears much of the blame for not having enough pitching. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: I love it, Fried Chicken Beer Drinkers and Video Game Players Don't Want Valentine

Also Livian Hernandez, Mickey Lolich, Early Wynn (300 Wins) and Babe Ruth.

Otherwise, I don't agree. All we heard about in the spring is how good the pitching is; some of the guys they got didn't work out (Jenks, etc), and the pitching coach, overconfidence and country club atmosphere didn't help either

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

My comment specifically noted that beer guts and fat guys that can't finish a season or perform above AAA levels are the problem fat guys. Beckett and Lester were poor or out of commission at year end. Steve is correct.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

1 - You have several pitchers skipping workouts and drinking beer in the clubhouse during games.  2 - Those same pitchers look to be overweight and out of shape.      3 - Those same pitchers seem to run out of gas, and pitch poorly in September.  4 - It is only logical to connect the dots and see the correlation of these things.  5 - Not putting all of the blame for the collapse on these pitchers , but they certainly deserve a good share of it. 

5. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts