I love Jackie Bradley Jr, but before we get too carried away ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I love Jackie Bradley Jr, but before we get too carried away ...

... three names:  Hermida, Tejada (Oscar), McDonald ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: I love Jackie Bradley Jr, but before we get too carried away ...

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

I think that's like 0.2%.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Would that be DMac?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Would that be DMac?

The very same.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Would that be DMac?

The very same.

Love that guy. Too bad he couldn't hit...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Would that be DMac?

The very same.

And, there Carnie, is the very pith of my OP.  The fine gentlemen listed there, including the infinitely likeable D-Mac, were the last 3 Spring Training team leaders in batting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I'm failing to see your point.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Why not just say "I love Reggie Jackson (false) but before we get too carried away, three names: Anderson, Linares and Nava"

You don't love Bradley, and, no, I'm not saying Bradley will even sniff the talent that was Reggie Jackson at the plate. I'm saying you are delusional. 

Why, I do love JBJ.  The fact that I am not convinced that he NEEDS to be on the opening day 25 does not make a convincing argurment that I don't love the kid.  Sorry.  Next.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

x

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Would that be DMac?

The very same.

And, there Carnie, is the very pith of my OP.  The fine gentlemen listed there, including the infinitely likeable D-Mac, were the last 3 Spring Training team leaders in batting.

I will say that I think that JBJ will hit better than any of them. One skill that seems to translate pretty well across levels is the ability to get on base. And even after enduring a fairly horrific slump to end last year he still put up a .430 OBP for the year. But anyone expecting him to start off in the ML and dominate big league pitching right away is likely to be disappointed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

I'm failing to see your point.

The point being, before we decide that JBJ is so great right now that it is worth losing a year's control for a mere 11 days of him playing out of position to the start the year, let us consider that ST batting is not a reliable yardstick for someone's actual ability to hit.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Why, I do love JBJ.  The fact that I am not convinced that he NEEDS to be on the opening day 25 does not make a convincing argurment that I don't love the kid.  Sorry.  Next.

Of course you jate JBJ. And you hate America. What is wrong with you?!?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Would that be DMac?

The very same.

I will say that I think that JBJ will hit better than any of them. One skill that seems to translate pretty well across levels is the ability to get on base. And even after enduring a fairly horrific slump to end last year he still put up a .430 OBP for the year. But anyone expecting him to start off in the ML and dominate big league pitching right away is likely to be disappointed.

I agree entirely.  On all points.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Would that be DMac?

The very same.

Please. You are comparing DMAC, a career minor leaguer to one of the best prospects in all of baseball? You have lost your marbles.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Would that be DMac?

The very same.

Please. You are comparing DMAC, a career minor leaguer to one of the best prospects in all of baseball? You have lost your marbles.

DMac was once one of the top prospects in all of baseball too.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/top-100-prospects/all-time.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Not comparing ADG.  I think JBJ is another stratosphere than any of these three esteemed gentlemen who have led the team in ST hitting.  

However, I am suggesting that one must take ST hitting in context when deciding whether or not someone is a must to have on the opening day roster.

Given that DMac, Jeremy Hermida and Oscar Tejada have also had hot STs, are we sure we want to eschew a control year over someone who is one of the best prospect in all of baseball for a mere 11 days?  A prospect who has yet to see an inning of ball in AAA, and unlike a Mike Trout or other phenom, has not even excelled in AA (ok, he was solid, good obp, but hardly caused any reaction like "call him up next Spring")?  And, if his torrid ST has tipped the scales, I am merely suggesting that ST batting results can lie.  They lied for Hermida, Tejada, DMac. 

So, not a comparison of Bradley Future Star with Darnell Ham n' Eggs as players.  Just comparing their ST batting for sake of perspective on determining exactly where Jackie is on the Future Star timeline.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Your delusional thread makes the point that you don't "love Bradley".

Folks, anyone see the comparison to Bradley and Hermida. That's not a question.

OK, so let me get this straight:  Anything short of Bradley Must Start the Season in Boston means I don't like him?

My cautionary examples of how ST hitting is not always a good indicator of major league success is delusional?

No, my friend.  My stance on JBJ is anything but delusional.  My stance is rational. Delusional is:  Hey this kid is so good RIGHT NOW that even thinking about holding on to a control year is penny-pinching idiocy because the kid is going to save the Sox season in the first 11 days.  Delusional is:  How dare you question the major league readiness of Jackie Bradley Jr.:  He is is hitting .500+ in Spring Training!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

x

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Your delusional thread makes the point that you don't "love Bradley".

Folks, anyone see the comparison to Bradley and Hermida. That's not a question.

OK, so let me get this straight:  Anything short of Bradley Must Start the Season in Boston means I don't like him?

My cautionary examples of how ST hitting is not always a good indicator of major league success is delusional?

No, my friend.  My stance on JBJ is anything but delusional.  My stance is rational. Delusional is:  Hey this kid is so good RIGHT NOW that even thinking about holding on to a control year is penny-pinching idiocy because the kid is going to save the Sox season in the first 11 days.  Delusional is:  How dare you question the major league readiness of Jackie Bradley Jr.:  He is is hitting .500+ in Spring Training!

sPACE,  iT WILL BE A DIFFERENT TEAM WITH bRADLEY and Iggy in the lineup on 4/1 ......  These are changes that I think the Sox have to make......  Interestingly, it very well may happen because of DL to PAPI & DREW  !!

Could be Bill.  More interesting in any case.  And, yeah, looks like fate may throw any of us cautious-types' objections out the window.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Would that be DMac?

The very same.

Think you won't have to worry about the DMac comparisions for long. Its just a matter of time that JBJ is the starting CF for RS and one of the better CF's in baseball. None of these guys had any where near the talent that JBJ has shown in the minors. He's alreday played on a championship team at South Carolina and hopefully will do same as member of RS. 

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts