I Love Pedroia's aggressive play, BUT-----

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I Love Pedroia's aggressive play, BUT-----

Petey, a pop fly near home plate is not your.s; and neither is a fly ball to medium center field. Understanably you trust yourself more than you do your teammates (I would too); but enough is enough. Sometimes you are just in the Way! (And it's about time someboady told you.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: I Love Pedroia's aggressive play, BUT-----

its not just him, ive been saying now for years the sox are the worst team in the majors when calling for a catch - there always seems to be some last minute drama with all those easy pop ups and this means someone is not playing sound baseball....

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

The CF'er for the Red Sox plays the high hop, so I have no problem with Pedroia. It's up to the other closer player to yell out and repeat over and over "I got it, I got it", which I'm sure Napoli never did.  

Gomes did this before his great sliding catch -  without calling it off he never would have been able to slide headfirst and catch that ball...

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

its not just him, ive been saying now for years the sox are the worst team in the majors when calling for a catch - there always seems to be some last minute drama with all those easy pop ups and this means someone is not playing sound baseball....

could you please provide some 'calling for a catch' stats to back up your whine?

Its on baseball reference .com  click on the category UPURAZZ

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

could you please provide some 'calling for a catch' stats to back up your whine?

Its on baseball reference .com  click on the category UPURAZZ

Typical...

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Not sure I agree with the OP.  I prefer Pedroia being aggressive until someone calls him off. 

As for the 4th inning pop fly last night, I think he just stayed out of Napoli's way which was the prudent think to do because it was Napoli's to field, but he just overran it. 

There is no procedure that will guarantee no collisions because players are trying hard and sometimes not sure they can catch a ball but keep going for it.  The collision between Ross and Middlebrooks was exactly that situation.  They both got hurt, but Middlebrooks caught it, and both returned the play a game or two later. 

What happened last night is the right guy, Napoli, went for the pop but lost it in the ceiling/roof, which does happen in the Trop.  It might have touched a catwalk, but I don't think so.  To be honest, however, I would rather have Pedroia go after pop ups in/near that location (or in the Trop in general) because he reacts better when something happens. 

It's a fine line between too aggressive and not enough, and most players don't want to thought of as a lacker or laggard. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Petey, a pop fly near home plate is not your.s; and neither is a fly ball to medium center field. Understanably you trust yourself more than you do your teammates (I would too); but enough is enough. Sometimes you are just in the Way! (And it's about time someboady told you.)

To which plays are you referring?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

That botched pop-up had nothing to do with Pedroia's over-aggressiveness.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

I doubt if Bosoxmal / Bob watched the game. Another useless thread.

If  I didn't watch the game, how would I know what happened? I also watched Pedroia roaming around center field waiting to be run over by Ellsbury. Who, by the way, made a fine catch in spite of Pedroia (and Victorino, who was not needed there either). Yes, the Red Sox are one of the worst teams when it comes to pop ups. I've been to Trop Field a number of times, and have watched, literally, hundreds of Rays games on TV. (I live in Ft Myers and get every game). That's the first time I've seen a home-plate pop-up turn into an Alphonse and Gaston act. Left field and right field foul line areas, yes. Home Plate, never.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Nor was it anywhere near home plate or center field.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Nor was it anywhere near home plate or center field.

In fact, if anything, Pedroia's LACK of aggressiveness was a problem on that play.  He had the line, but he conceded to Napoli who had a harder angle/read and less experience playing that idiotic stadium.  That was Pedroia's ball and he backed off.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

errors happen.  pitchers need to shut down mistakes. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

It wasn't an error.  Should have been, but wasn't.  And it's absolutely true that stuff happens, and good pitchers still take care of business.  Lackey was just having a bad night, which is why Farrell pulled him in the 5th with a man on second and one out.  Good move by Farrell, but the Sox lineup was basically dead after Ortiz's dinger in the 1st. 

I disagree Pedroia did anything wrong.  He certainly wasn't too aggressive.  Plus it was Napoli's ball to catch, but he lost it.  After the game Pedroia said he lost it too, so it was clearly difficult pop to see and catch. 

Sections
Shortcuts