I love the lineup with Youk and Middlebrooks in it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coopster. Show coopster's posts

I love the lineup with Youk and Middlebrooks in it

This lineup gets very deep with both Youk and Middlebrooks in it.    If freakin A-Gon would ever hit like he's supposed to,  this lineup would be very strong.   

They need to figure out how to do this defensively.    A-Gon in rightfield?  You can get away with this in certain ballparks,  but this won't work in the long run.  He's just too darn slow.   

Middlebrooks is young and a good athlete.  Why can't he learn to play left field.   So what if he's never played outfield before.    If you're a good athlete, like he is,  I would think he could learn this fast enough.   

Also,  I can't stand everybody writing off Youk, and wanting to trade him.    This team needs players that work the counts and have high on-base %'s.   You don't want to trade arguably your best on-base % player.   That's just dumb.   And, when healthy,  Youk is one of the guys I want up with players in scoring position.     I don't look forward to Crawful coming back at all.   He is a low on-base % guy, and has shown nothing.   Youk is one of the most clutch guys on this team,  along with Pedroia.   A-Gon is not clutch at all, so far.    You may laugh,  but I'd rather put Youk back at 1B, and try to trade A-Gon for a top flight pitcher.    

It will be a mistake to trade Youk.... mark my words.     

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Re: I love the lineup with Youk and Middlebrooks in it

AGon is in a bit of a funk but in fairness he's hit well with runners on so I wouldn't say he isn't clutch ... by fairly well I mean 1000+ OPS w/ RISP and RISP+2outs. Agree about everyone giving up on Youk after only 18 games. But if WMB keeps it up, Youk will be expendable if he can bring something the team needs in a trade. It seems very unlikely he's back next year so they are just going to do whatever seems best for the team. I love Youk and thanks for everything, but that's the way it will probably be. Then again, maybe Youk goes back to being a 900+ OPS guy and WMB's K rate kills his production. Who knows?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: I love the lineup with Youk and Middlebrooks in it:
    [QUOTE]In Response to I love the lineup with Youk and Middlebrooks in it : your words have been marked. and yes, there's at least 30 teams out there who would love nothing better than to pick up a-gone's 22 million/year contract.
    Posted by mryazz[/QUOTE]
    Two-thirds of the MLB teams can't afford to pay any one player $21 million a year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zack5042. Show zack5042's posts

If we do anything I'd put WMB at SS and have aviles play RF.... Although I dislike having Youk at third with how injury prone he is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'll tell you what, I'm not crazy about Gonzalez in RF.  But I do like Youk at 1B and Middlebrooks in the lineup (the kid is proving he can stay)

and Youk is hitting....maybe he can mentor Middlebrooks and teach him a thing or two about drawing a walk. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

The scoop on AGon in RF BAD NEWS: He's no JD Drew GOOD NEWS: See above

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How's this line-up?

vs RHPs     vs LHPs
    1)            Ellsbury
    2)            Pedroia
    3)              Ortiz
    4)  AGon            Youk (1B)
    5)  Youk (3B)    AGon (LF/RF)
    6)  Craw             Midd 
    7)  Salty             Ross (RF/LF)
    8)  Swee            Shopp
    9)            Aviles

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]How's this line-up?        vs RHPs     vs LHPs 1)            Ellsbury 2)            Pedroia 3)              Ortiz 4)  AGon            Youk (1B) 5)  Youk (3B)    AGon (LF/RF) 6)  Craw             Midd  7)  Salty             Ross (RF/LF) 8)  Swee            Shopp 9)            Aviles
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    I think those are just about right....though I might play Middlebrooks vs Righties more than Youk, because I think defensively he is just better than Youk now(despite the errors)....but I could be fine either way. As to those saying Midd should play LF....maybe if they had worked on it in Spring Training....to do it mid season is really a stretch for a guy who has never done it.....Agon has at least some OF experience.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I love the lineup with Youk and Middlebrooks in it : I think those are just about right....though I might play Middlebrooks vs Righties more than Youk, because I think defensively he is just better than Youk now(despite the errors)....but I could be fine either way. As to those saying Midd should play LF....maybe if they had worked on it in Spring Training....to do it mid season is really a stretch for a guy who has never done it.....Agon has at least some OF experience.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Good point. Middlebrooks could play vs RHPs instead of not just Youk, but CC and Sweeney at times as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Bad idea having AHon play the outfield.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If 1/3 of Major League teams could afford AGon and they have an excess starter that would succeed in the AL East and would be in need of a 1 B and would give us in addition to the starter two of their  "TOP" Prospects I would make that trade.
    I'm thinking the Brewer's, Cards, the Dodgers, the Giants, the D'Backs, the Marlins---I would try to avoid an AL team.

Trading AGon would be a giant trade--I like the guys approach at the plate and his demeanor. I don't think the money is a huge hurdle for these teams--the question is what are they willing to part with and BenC has to lay the groundwork soon enough.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Agon is the best defensive 1B I have seen, maybe ever.
    Youk has lost any mobility he had even for a 1B.
    If you want Youk's bat in the lineup, why weaken 2 positions? Youk should rotate between 3B, LF and DH. He is a lousy LF for sure, but if his bat is hot, live with it.
    Trade Agon is crazy. He is a fixture here for the long term. If Iggy ever shows, great glove, great hands, above average arm, erratic arm. Agon will save a lot of errors. Same with Middlebrooks. Very strong arm, oft erratic.
    Youk is here for the year, and unless he hits lights out and stays healthy, his option is refused for next year. Trading Agon makes zero sense

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Youk in left. If that doesnt work, try Middlebrooks in left.  It's easy to play LF at Fenway and the defensive gain from having someone like Podsednick in there isnt worth the drop off offensively.

I agree that we should try to get creative to keep Middlebrooks , Youk, Gonzo, and Ortiz in the lineup.  The only other option is to send Middlebrooks down.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

Ross has to be in the rotation for sure.  He has earned it, certainly over CC.

I think the Sox need to move quantity for quality at the deaqdline for sure.  OF, and BP arms are the excess.  Even SP if everyone gets healthy.  Shoppach, punto, Dmac, Nava, Lin, Sweeney, Buch/Dice, Youk, and half the pen should all be available.  Even if all you get is double A and single A guys for some of these.  They are emergency replacement players who served their purpose.  Once guys get healthy...move them.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]Youk in left. If that doesnt work, try Middlebrooks in left.  It's easy to play LF at Fenway and the defensive gain from having someone like Podsednick in there isnt worth the drop off offensively. I agree that we should try to get creative to keep Middlebrooks , Youk, Gonzo, and Ortiz in the lineup.  The only other option is to send Middlebrooks down.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

If The Pod Father is a defensive UPgrade, then we're in a boat load of trouble....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Youk in left. If that doesnt work, try Middlebrooks in left.  It's easy to play LF at Fenway and the defensive gain from having someone like Podsednick in there isnt worth the drop off offensively. I agree that we should try to get creative to keep Middlebrooks , Youk, Gonzo, and Ortiz in the lineup.  The only other option is to send Middlebrooks down.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]
    Will Middlebrooks' twin -- Seattle's Alex Liddi -- has a rough time Wednesday afternoon making the transition from third base to leftfield:

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=21697053&query=game_pk%3D318397

... but redeemed himself with a grand slam two innings later:

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=21697053&query=game_pk%3D318397

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: I love the lineup with Youk and Middlebrooks in it": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I love the lineup with Youk and Middlebrooks in it : Will Middlebrooks' twin -- Seattle's Alex Liddi -- has a rough time Wednesday afternoon making the transition from third base to leftfield: http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=21697053&query=game_pk%3D318397 ... but redeemed himself with a grand slam two innings later: http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=21697053&query=game_pk%3D318397 Posted by hill55[/QUiOTE] Not surprising as Liddi is a butcher in the field and he's not an athletic guy...some scouts don't feel he'll ever stick in the Majors because he doesn't hit well enough to justify his defense...I know you keep posting Middlebrooks/Liddi but many will disagree...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: I love the lineup with Youk and Middlebrooks in it": In Response to Re: I love the lineup with Youk and Middlebrooks in it : Will Middlebrooks' twin -- Seattle's Alex Liddi -- has a rough time Wednesday afternoon making the transition from third base to leftfield: http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=21697053&query=game_pk%3D318397 ... but redeemed himself with a grand slam two innings later: http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=21697053&query=game_pk%3D318397 Posted by hill55[/QUiOTE] Not surprising as Liddi is a butcher in the field and he's not an athletic guy...some scouts don't feel he'll ever stick in the Majors because he doesn't hit well enough to justify his defense...I know you keep posting Middlebrooks/Liddi but many will disagree...
    Posted by jasko2248[/QUOTE]
    Alex Liddi has a UZR/150* of a positive 12.3 in 116.1 innings at third base this year and a UZR/150 of a negative 0.4 in 226 career innings at third base.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5411&position=3B#fieldingadvanced

Will Middlebrooks has a UZR/150 of a negative 12.4 in 177 career innings at third base.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B#fieldingadvanced

Liddi's MLB.com video highlights include several defensive gems:

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/search/media.jsp?player_id=499926

Liddi had been valued at 0.6 WAR this season in 84 plate appearances and 174.1 innings in the field. Middlebrooks has been valued at 0.6 WAR this season in 84 plate appearances ad 177 innings in the field.

Update: ... but that was before Liddi recorded the Golden Sombrero on Thursday evening:

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/news/boxscore.jsp?gid=2012_05_24_anamlb_seamlb_1

Some analysts doubt whether Middlebrooks or Liddi will stick in the majors.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-fangraphs-uzr-primer/

Sections
Shortcuts