I love what the Sox are doing with most of the $12 seats....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

I love what the Sox are doing with most of the $12 seats....

I always used to like the hard tickets, but they are having people use credit cards as entry for the $12 seats to premium games.

Scalping the tickets is not possible as the owner of the credit card MUST bring their card and show up with their ENTIRE party to enter the game.  There are no hard tickets and no pdf files.

The Sox know that these $12 tickets (especially to Yankee games) are almost always resold by scalpers trying to make a profit.

BTW, these tickets went on sale today:

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ticketing/digitaltickets.jsp?partnerId=ed-5583716-246848254

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

Re: I love what the Sox are doing with most of the $12 seats....

BTW, I believe that there is a ONE transaction, TEN ticket maximum.

I do not think that you are allowed to purchase more than one 'set' of tickets.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

Well, it's one small step in the right direction.  Now if they'd start selling the better seats that way some of us "common folks" would have a chance at good seating too. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

I didn't realize that so many in the forum were regular attendees. It seemed to me that most of you lived in the retirement States and in  the Northwest or were Yankee, Dodger, and TB fans.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

The last time I remember my seats being 12 bucks was 1991...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Sure does make sense. When you live in the New England and you have to buy tickets through a scalper in the in N. Carolina is just not right. Hope this works or make it so fans who are fans can get tickets to go to a game with paying double for tickets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

And, oddly, Ace Ticket will still have bushels of tickets for resale.

Have to prop up that fake @ss sellout streak somehow!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

The "fake" sellout doesn't really bother me. As long as the Sox bring in tons of revenue through attendance, TV and radio rights, and other ways, then I am happy. The revenue helps us compete vs. the EE and others. I really don't see the problem here. Why complain about success?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to I love what the Sox are doing with most of the $12 seats....:
    I always used to like the hard tickets, but they are having people use credit cards as entry for the $12 seats to premium games. Scalping the tickets is not possible as the owner of the credit card MUST bring their card and show up with their ENTIRE party to enter the game.  There are no hard tickets and no pdf files. The Sox know that these $12 tickets (especially to Yankee games) are almost always resold by scalpers trying to make a profit. BTW, these tickets went on sale today: http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/bos/ticketing/digitaltickets.jsp?partnerId=ed-5583716-246848254
    Posted by Bigpapa1977

What do you do with season plans that are split?  I have 5 people in my group.  It's only on my card.  what would the other 4 do?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Borrow your card on gameday...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: I love what the Sox are doing with most of the $12 seats....:
    The "fake" sellout doesn't really bother me. As long as the Sox bring in tons of revenue through attendance, TV and radio rights, and other ways, then I am happy. The revenue helps us compete vs. the EE and others. I really don't see the problem here. Why complain about success?
    Posted by LadyLake

I can see your point of view, but I respectfully disagree.

The Ace Ticket revenue stream helps drive up, and keep ticket prices up. The Sox will NEVER have to adjust due to less demand because they have the backing of a business buying, I'd guess, tens of thousands of tickets every season, if not 6 figures.

TB doesn't need the revenue to compete, they do it through intelligent drafting and player development, then grabbing the occasional aging bat (Pena, Damon) for cheap dollars to fill out the roster.

"The Sox need money to compete" is a myth. They don't. The Yankess having the most money to spend hasn't made them the best team over the past 10 years, so why measure our success against theirs?

Is it really ONLY about winning? I'd like to think we haven't turned into a nation of Al Davis-like fans. It USED to also be about"how you play the game". Quite frankly, how the Sox management plays it disgusts me. They do not care even the slightest about the average fan, they care about the bottom line, period. If they could be more profitable while winning 60 games a year, I can almost guarantee they wouldn't try to win any more than that. 'Businessmen' are killing the soul and original intent of these sports.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In Response to Re: I love what the Sox are doing with most of the $12 seats....:
    Borrow your card on gameday...
    Posted by notin

That one got a laugh out of me...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

What do you do with season plans that are split? I have 5 people in my group. It's only on my card. what would the other 4 do?

Joe b-

It is my understanding that the only people who 'have' to use their CC is those ticketholders of the $12 seats.  I am also a partial season ticket holder and we should be receiving the 'hard' tickets on the week of March 12.

You should not have a problem.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bigpapa1977. Show Bigpapa1977's posts

How many $12.00 seats are there? it pisses me off when the sox talk about their inexpensive seats. Their relationship with stub hub implies that many of the tickets goes right to them. Now there is talk about scalpers using sophisticated software to get this tickets on line.

Jack-

You are correct, there are not a lot of $12 seats available and they sell out quickly.  At least the Sox are moving in the right direction, by making sure that the real fans do not have to pay a premium for those inexpensive seats.

Stubhub does not technically 'receive' any tickets.  Season ticket holders, scalpers and those who buy tickets directly from the Red Sox can list their tickets on stubhub.  Stubhub is the intermediary who makes a profit.

I am willing to bet, however, that several of these early April games will be listed below (well below?) face price on the day of the game.                     

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: I love what the Sox are doing with most of the $12 seats.... : I can see your point of view, but I respectfully disagree. The Ace Ticket revenue stream helps drive up, and keep ticket prices up. The Sox will NEVER have to adjust due to less demand because they have the backing of a business buying, I'd guess, tens of thousands of tickets every season, if not 6 figures. TB doesn't need the revenue to compete, they do it through intelligent drafting and player development, then grabbing the occasional aging bat (Pena, Damon) for cheap dollars to fill out the roster. "The Sox need money to compete" is a myth. They don't. The Yankess having the most money to spend hasn't made them the best team over the past 10 years, so why measure our success against theirs? Is it really ONLY about winning? I'd like to think we haven't turned into a nation of Al Davis-like fans. It USED to also be about"how you play the game". Quite frankly, how the Sox management plays it disgusts me. They do not care even the slightest about the average fan, they care about the bottom line, period. If they could be more profitable while winning 60 games a year, I can almost guarantee they wouldn't try to win any more than that. 'Businessmen' are killing the soul and original intent of these sports.
    Posted by ma6dragon9

I do want to disagree on some points, such as that the Sox management does not care about winning.  Turning a profit with a 60-win team is clearly not their goal.  That business model has been shown to be effective by the Marlins, who are one of the most profitable teams in MLB over the last few years despite having minimal success between the lines.  Which team of those two franchises has had far more success in every possible way except profit?

The Red Sox do try to win, or at least compete for a title (which is all a fan can really ask for) through heavy spending and keeping up with their money machine rival.  They aren’t bringing in multimillion dollar free agents like Lackey, Drew, Crawford, Clement, Lugo, Foulke, etc. or throwing around mega-extensions such as Gonzalez and monster posting fees like Daisuke for the purpose of increasing the bottom line at the expense of winning.  Their business plan seems to be “we make more money when we win.”  As fans, we don’t care about their profit, but at least their methods of getting there agree with our wants (which is why it works).  Not every player works out, but that is part of the nature of free agency, which involves bringing in players who are typically over 30 and have a minimum of 6 years of wear and tear at the MLB level.

The Rays are a smartly run franchise, but it is interesting that people see them as being bargain hunters and good drafters and don’t equate that with caring about the bottom line, yet the free-spending Sox, who have dropped about $1billion on player salaries over the past 10 years, as being the financially-conscious team.  If either of these two teams is driven solely by finances, it is clearly not Boston.

The problem with how the Sox have operated is that historically, using free agency to build a team is a short term solution at best.  At some point, you have a roster filled with aging, expensive players who cannot contribute at the same level they were capable of prior to signing.  And this is where financial limitations kick in.  However, fans would prefer the team continue digging their way out of the hole the same way they got into it – by throwing more money around - because perception is that spending heavily = effort.  And that has never been more evident than this offseason, where the team has a payroll north of $170mill, and fans are repeatedly decrying ownership as cheap.  This will still be the second highest payroll in MLB – one thing ownership is not is “cheap.”  However, even the most generous of ownerships does have to show some sort of restraint, because repeatedly tossing money does not necessarily make for a better team; the only guarantee is a more expensive one.  Even the Yankees haven’t been tossing around contracts the way they used to, and have resorted to smarter methods to try to improve their team.

If there was ever an offseason to not spend, this was it.  If there was ever an offseason to look around other rosters to find players and bring some of the out-of-control spending back in line, this was it.  Even I thought Ortiz should go and Papelbon return.  But what is a better Closer/DH/RF combination – Papelbon, Reddick and, say, Vlad Guerrero?  Or Bailey, Ortiz and Sweeney?  What is the drop off from Papelbon to Bailey – one blown save? Two?  Maybe not even.  Will that really change the number of wins? (Bear in mind, not all blown saves are losses.)   If those two are even, Ortiz and Sweeney should easily out-produce Guerrero and Reddick.  And the cost is roughly the same, except now this team doesn’t have $14mill tied up for 4 years in a guy who gets 3 outs with a 3 run lead.  And the one mega-salary (Ortiz) they do have could be gone by 2013.  I did advocate Youkilis to DH, but replacing Guerrero with any of the available third basemen (Blake, Betemit, Kouzmanoff) doesn’t necessarily make this team better, given they would be replacing Ortiz.  It might have worked as there should be a defensive improvement and the potential of a prolonged season for Youkilis, although Betemit is a step down defensively and a horrible all-around option.   (Along these lines, an Ortiz/Michael Young swap does make sense for both teams, but it’s doubtful the Sox want the additional $16mill for a 37yo third baseman on the books for 2013.)

That is being smarter, exactly what people credit the Rays for doing with Damon or Pena.  But when the Rays do it, we respect it and laud the way they run their team.  When the Sox do it, they apparently only care about the bottom line and we call out their cheapness…

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

Sections
Shortcuts