I Miss Tito Already

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: I Miss Tito Already

The snipes are out. Two mis-played fly balls by our new OF cost us the runs. We wouldn't have even been in the game if it not for BV running for Ortiz The offense sucked. Of course Veralander WAS on the mound.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: I Miss Tito Already:
    [QUOTE]This one is clearly on Cherington, not Valentine.  Morales was OK, but couldn't prevent the sac fly by Fielder.  Aceves and Melancon were both awful.  So far the bullpen stinks.  Great comeback by the hitters, who made it an exciting game. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

Fielder is a top-tier hitter.  It isn't a question of why didn't Morales strike him out, it is why did he pitch to Fielder at all?  I didn't have much issue with the way the BP was handled.  The hits off of Melancon weren't hit hard, and the HBP was a borderline swing.

But why choose to pitch to Fielder instead of Young?  There is a substantially gap between them.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Tito might have still put McDonald in as a pinch runner but no way would he have had him steal a base. Frustrating watching Tito put in pinch runners time and time again just to have them sit on their hands.

Also Tito pulls Lester on 90 pitches for Opening Day. Bobby let him go 7 innings (107) and Lester and the team were better for it.

Hooray for Bobby V.!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Can't believe there's this much whining after one game. Is pike right after all? I didn't have a problem with how the BP as used either. Verlander, that was the problem. And have to say, it's a marvel to watch him pitch, even when he beats us. And the exciting part is, Lester was just as good today, just got hosed on a couple calls.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Can't believe there's this much whining after one game. Is pike right after all? I didn't have a problem with how the BP as used either. Verlander, that was the problem. And have to say, it's a marvel to watch him pitch, even when he beats us. And the exciting part is, Lester was just as good today, just got hosed on a couple calls.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

Being opening day, Exam, think it was a disappointment and a reminder of the way last season ended.  Nothing a few wins won't cure

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Tito might have still put McDonald in as a pinch runner but no way would he have had him steal a base. Frustrating watching Tito put in pinch runners time and time again just to have them sit on their hands. Also Tito pulls Lester on 90 pitches for Opening Day. Bobby let him go 7 innings (107) and Lester and the team were better for it. Hooray for Bobby V.!
    Posted by EnchiladaT[/QUOTE]

You must not have been paying attention. The one part of small ball Francona did employ was moving a runner to second, usually stealing a base, in the eighth or ninth innings when the Sox needed a run.

People can moan and groan all they want about Francona not playing small ball. If people think he should have bunted more or hit-and-run more or whatever, fine. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

But if nothing else, the situation with McDonald running for A-Gon then stealing was THE ONE thing Tito would do. And it's likely he would have run McDonald earlier to prevent a possible double play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Is Tito the manager now?  Thank you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Sox were 0-6 last year and 7-20 in Sept. with Francona. Biggest choke in history. He is no genius.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomp4. Show boomp4's posts

I for 1 am happy Terry Francona is gone. Terrible in game manager. Let the club run out of control.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]I for 1 am happy Terry Francona is gone. Terrible in game manager. Let the club run out of control.
    Posted by boomp4[/QUOTE]

Gonna play that game?

SCOREBOARD

World Series Titles:
    Francona 2
    Valentine 0

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

royf19 stop dwelling on the past.... the rest of us have moved forward.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I Miss Tito Already : he's been a starter his entire career. he was a reliever in camp because he couldn't make the rotation. 'wt' are you talking about?
    Posted by Heff-17[/QUOTE]

There's a reason people like Padilla come out of the 'pen.  They're not good enough to start nor good enough to close.  It's what you get when you go to the bullpen. 

Here are two questions for you. 
    1)  Was this game the result of Verlander's good pitching or ineffective hitting by the Sox?

2) Had the Sox won this game would it have been because of Lester's good pitching or ineffective hitting by the Tigers?

I have no quibble with this game.  Sometimes you just face a hitter who's "lights out" and that's what happened today.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

No shame in this loss whatsoever.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]royf19  stop dwelling on the past.... the rest of us have moved forward.

So then why did you comment on this thread. If bringing discussing Francona is something you think shouldn't happen any more, then why in the heck did you click on this thread?

Pretty pathetic to say you've moved on and admonishing me for "dwelling in the past" after you posted a couple of times on the thread.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

looks like a roster-based loss to me, so I'll put it on Henry/Lucky/Cherington. 

But: it's just one game so  I'm open to changing judgement down the line.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I Miss Tito Already : So then why did you comment on this thread. If bringing discussing Francona is something you think shouldn't happen any more, then why in the heck did you click on this thread? Pretty pathetic to say you've moved on and admonishing me for "dwelling in the past" after you posted a couple of times on the thread.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Lighten up Francis

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I Miss Tito Already : Lighten up Francis

You simply can't get anything right tonight, can you?

If you're going to use that phrase, you need to use the picture too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

It it Francis? I thought it was.... great movie.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I Miss Tito Already : See, this is why you have no credibility on this issue. Whatever Francona did or didn't do in regard to small ball or manufacting runs, pinch running for a player like A-Gon in this situation and stealing the base is at least the one move he did consistently. In fact, he did it like clockwork. In fact, Francona would have sent McDonald earlier, not waiting for an at-bat.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

really Roy? why dont you list the exact number of times in 2011 Tito replaced Agon for a pinch runner while behind?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I Miss Tito Already : he's been a starter his entire career. he was a reliever in camp because he couldn't make the rotation. 'wt' are you talking about?
    Posted by Heff-17[/QUOTE]

wrong.. he was a closer and reliever for the Dodgers before joining the Sox..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I don't miss him that much because I thought it was time for him to go even though I was one of his biggest supporters when he was the manager.

I think Bobby has played things just about perfect so far.  He knew he had a suspect bullpen, so he is keeping 8 guys right now to give them all chances to show what they can do.  So far, 3 (Padilla, Melancon, and especially Aceves) looked pretty bad, but it was just one game. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]looks like a roster-based loss to me, so I'll put it on Henry/Lucky/Cherington.  But: it's just one game so  I'm open to changing judgement down the line.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

That's about right.  One of the things that the Tito-haters always got wrong is that, if just managed the game perfectly we'd win almost every game.  Verlander at home is really tough.  The line drive in the 9th right at the SS could've given us the lead.  If CC is healthy, maybe he makes the catch in the corner.  Two soft hits in the 9th.  Those are the reasons why the best teams in the league are only a small favorite over the worst teams in the league.

Plus, I understand that Beckett is planning on telling Valentine that Fielder is a better hitter than Young, and not to pitch to him if you don't have to.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I Miss Tito Already : Gonna play that game? SCOREBOARD World Series Titles: Francona 2 Valentine 0
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I'm biting my tongue....Shouldn't that be                
                               SCOREBOARD
    World Series Titles: Red Sox 2, In Spite of Francona???????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I miss lawn Jarts.

Sections
Shortcuts