I predict Aceves will be gone...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Re: I predict Aceves will be gone...

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"bad back" ring a bell?

that's what I'm talking about HH

the story went.....

because of the injuries they only offered him a minor league deal

so he went elsewhere

nothing to do with his behavior /personality

[/QUOTE]I missed your point Zac.

FTR I would keep him in Boston.

I believe his behavior is a case of Bobby V. flu.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

I searched high and low for the Cafardo/Abraham article making reference to Aceves' known behavior issues prior to coming to Boston but since I am not a subscriber cannot access the archives to find it again.  Also looked back for my own post made at the time because pretty sure I included the link to the article, but can't find my own posts prior to forum change.  I distinctly remember reading the article and wondering if the change to Boston might be what he needed to lose the attitude.

The following is NOT an article..it is just a blog post on sports board I ran across during my search for the article.

----------------------------------

Nothing in Boston corrupted Aceves.

Apparently he was always this guy, and that’s why the Yankees let him go. The only difference between New York and Boston is that the Yankees keep things in house, off the field, and out of the media. Boston has just been a circus all year.

It wasn’t Aceves’ injury that caused the Yankees not to renew him. Lord knows the Yankees have carried and are carrying a lot of injured players that they think can still play. They let Aceves go for the same reason that they let Melky go- huge attitude problem/ pain in the a--. That’s it in a nutshell.

----------------

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Taz will take over his place. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

In response to Hingham Hammer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

FTR I would keep him in Boston.

I believe his behavior is a case of Bobby V. flu.

[/QUOTE]

FTR i could care less what a yankee frank thinks of whether or not Aceves should remain on my team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I would like to keep Aceves, but don't see how that is possible given his unprofessional attitude here and elsewhere. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would like to keep Aceves, but don't see how that is possible given his unprofessional attitude here and elsewhere. 

I always liked Aceves but would be surprised if the Red Sox resign him. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

because i am an idiot

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to michaelsjr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I searched high and low for the Cafardo/Abraham article making reference to Aceves' known behavior issues prior to coming to Boston but since I am not a subscriber cannot access the archives to find it again.  Also looked back for my own post made at the time because pretty sure I included the link to the article, but can't find my own posts prior to forum change.  I distinctly remember reading the article and wondering if the change to Boston might be what he needed to lose the attitude.

The following is NOT an article..it is just a blog post on sports board I ran across during my search for the article.

Apparently he was always this guy, and that’s why the Yankees let him go. The only difference between New York and Boston is that the Yankees keep things in house, off the field, and out of the media. Boston has just been a circus all year.

It wasn’t Aceves’ injury that caused the Yankees not to renew him. Lord knows the Yankees have carried and are carrying a lot of injured players that they think can still play. They let Aceves go for the same reason that they let Melky go- huge attitude problem/ pain in the a--. That’s it in a nutshell.

----------------

[/QUOTE]

you might be right michaeljr

I wished you still had that link

maybe like you said

it is about the yanks being better at keeping their dirty laundry hidden

but I can't get past the part that they offered or said they would

offer him a  minor league contract

cashmen took a lot of heat for not resigning him

why keep mum at that point

at least leak something about him

gawd knows sox would ;-)

[/QUOTE]

Just for clarification as to the real reason the Yankees were not interested in offering Aceves a legitimate contract during the 2010 offseason.   During that season, Aceves made 10 appearances, was 3 and 0 with a 3.00 ERA and ironically his last win in pinstripes was against the Red Sox at Fenway on May 8, 2010.  

He then went on the DL and never pitched another inning.  Brian Cashman felt that Aceves did not try to get healthy and should have been back on the team in a reasonable and realistic amount of time given his injury.  Aceves ignored him and the training regimen the Yankees had for his injury.   In one short sentence "he was lazy."  When he became a free agent, the Yankee GM had no use for him because of his apathy and attitude concerning getting back on the diamond.  This was widely reported in the New York media during the winter of 2010. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

The thing that doesn't sit right with me about his statement is that we never heard anything about Aceves' bad attitude in Boston last year.  We never saw Aceves show Francona up on the mound.  And, Aceves pitched extremely well for us. 

Maybe it was just because Francona did such a good job of keeping things out of the press, as the Yankees do.  If that's the case, then  at the very least, Aceves' public outbursts and disrespectful behavior this year is a testament to BobbyV's very poor job of managing his players and the media.

Aceves was wrong to show up Valentine on the mound, and wrong to have an outburst about being replaced by Bailey as the closer.  I'm not excusing that behavior in any way.  However, Bobby is equally wrong in letting things become public and in publicly throwing players under the bus.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

He's ridiculous, but a suspension would be a reward. Make him stay with the team, but do not use him for the rest of the season - embarrass him. 

Then, as soon as the last game is (mercifully) over, release him before midnight.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Taz is fast becoming the Bard and Aceves of old--very dependable and capable--slot him early, late, multiple innings , good control, confident. 

FTR--I don't condone anyone disrespecting others and I therefore don't condone V disrespecting Aceves and Aceves disrespecting V.

I would not so quickly dispense with Aceves. Neither would I offer him a multi-year contract unless it had loads of provisions for terminating the contract. 

I don't feel the Yankees or the Sox have found the right assignment for him. I felt he would do a good job closing---in my estimation he was excellent given the short prep time. I fely he could go back to his 1 to 3 inning slot and perform. I honestly feel he believes he could start and be the Sox best starter if given the chance.

V has confused  him by not keeping him posted on the change from closer. Aceves knew it was coming but he expected V to tell him before the fact. He needed time to process it before being embarrassed that night without warning. I think Aceves needs people who are open, honest and direct with him.

A new manager will come in with some ideas on how best to use Aceves --if that doesn't work he will be gone.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

He's wanted a chance to start from the beginning of the year.  Being used as everything but a starter is probably what has his shorts in a knot.  We are out of the race.  Now is the time to put him out there and see what he's got as a starter before making a decision about him.  Beware though, he isn't shy about throwing hard inside..a little too inside sometimes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

wish the sox could get someone like Medlen from atlanta.   that youngster is a beast on the mound.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

"bad back" ring a bell?

that's what I'm talking about HH

the story went.....

because of the injuries they only offered him a minor league deal

so he went elsewhere

nothing to do with his behavior /personality

[/QUOTE]

If I were Valentine, he'd have suspended as soon as we hit the dugout.  As simple as 'take the jersey off and leave it in my office.  I'll call your agent when I decide it is okay for you to return'.

But having said that, you can't have a manager that no one respects, have your manager telling the press 'that's just Aceves being Aceves and Pedey being a bb player', and think that you'll never have repercussions.

I've been saying this since I was about 10.  If everyone has a problem with you, maybe the rest of the world is not wrong.  So this guy can play for Girardi, he can play for Tito, but he can't play for BV?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Players like Gagne, Romero, Donnelly and others who clearly had "baggage" would never be offered a job.

And what baggage was that?  The PEDs?  Sure, I am quite certain that the NYY would never tolerate that.  You funny.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hes proved to be a selfish Me Me Me player...Ship him out today and send the message that no player will pull that crap here and have a job. Would any player show up Belichick and still have a job? I say its time topart ways with Ace. hes more than worn out his welcome.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think we will see too many guys like Padilla or Aceves on this team next season but in all fairness to Alfredo, management has bounced him around everywhere which has to be frustrating.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Francona found him difficult to work with last year and Joe Girardi the year before.

You have some documentation on that one?  I'm from NY, and never heard a word about any issues, not did I hear anything last year either.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

----------------

[/QUOTE]

The thing is, the headline of the article you linked is not the same as you posted.  Here is the headline of that link-

What is it About Boston That Corrupted Alfredo Aceves?

In other words, he was fine until he came to Boston.  Or more precisely, he was fine until he met Valentine.  Or even more precise, he was our borderline MVP until he met Valentine.

24-3 with Girardi and Tito

2-10 with Valentine.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to predict Aceves will not be with the Sox next year.  If only for the fact that he is embarrassing the management.

I do think they let him warm the bench the remainder of the season and don't use him at all.  Maybe bring him in to get one out, and then yank him.

Drop him after the season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hes proved to be a selfish Me Me Me player...Ship him out today and send the message that no player will pull that crap here and have a job. Would any player show up Belichick and still have a job? I say its time topart ways with Ace. hes more than worn out his welcome.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think we will see too many guys like Padilla or Aceves on this team next season but in all fairness to Alfredo, management has bounced him around everywhere which has to be frustrating.

[/QUOTE]

We won't see Padilla because he is a FA.

What's he done to annoy people?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcdohio. Show jcdohio's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I could not put my opinion better than you did here. I wish more people could see that with the right management, Aceves can be a tremendous asset. [We've learned, unfortunately, the depths of the incompetence that exists in this managerial regime -- not just bad: horrific] In the meantime, the team has really messed him up IMO. And I believe his uncertainty about his future role, as Bailey got closer and closer to being reactivated, contributed to his declining performance in August, and was built upon multiple frustrations stemming from not being awarded a starter role after ST due to political reasons.

Like you, I don't condone his recent meltdowns/unprofessionalism, etc., and realize management is in a difficult position relative to bringing him back, but I believe he is worthy of a 2nd chance IF there is a new managerial/coaching regime. He does have tremendous heart, competitiveness, and unique skill, which, if harnessed, would be of tremendous value to the Sox in 2013.

[QUOTE]

Taz is fast becoming the Bard and Aceves of old--very dependable and capable--slot him early, late, multiple innings , good control, confident. 

FTR--I don't condone anyone disrespecting others and I therefore don't condone V disrespecting Aceves and Aceves disrespecting V.

I would not so quickly dispense with Aceves. Neither would I offer him a multi-year contract unless it had loads of provisions for terminating the contract. 

I don't feel the Yankees or the Sox have found the right assignment for him. I felt he would do a good job closing---in my estimation he was excellent given the short prep time. I fely he could go back to his 1 to 3 inning slot and perform. I honestly feel he believes he could start and be the Sox best starter if given the chance.

V has confused  him by not keeping him posted on the change from closer. Aceves knew it was coming but he expected V to tell him before the fact. He needed time to process it before being embarrassed that night without warning. I think Aceves needs people who are open, honest and direct with him.

A new manager will come in with some ideas on how best to use Aceves --if that doesn't work he will be gone.

[/QUOTE]