I Solved the Sox Right Field Dilemma?!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I Solved the Sox Right Field Dilemma?!

Carlos Quentin. Arbitration Eligible in 2012 and Free Agent 2013.

White Sox will be sellers.

Carlos has a decent arm too!

Thoughts

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: I Solved the Sox Right Field Dilemma?!

Well......he's good but

2 issues

In general the question is "who do we give up?"

w/ Q's contract - do we need someone after this year (and at a steep price) when the plan is for one of the kids to take over (Moreland originally and now either Kalish or Reddick)?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

I'd rather Hunter Pence.  $6.9 mil 2011,  UFA 2012.

See if the Stro's will bite on Reddick and a ML level player for the 1/2 yr rental of Pence...  with hopes of signing him longterm in the offseason.

Pence is a natural RF...  Reddick while very promising is a LF with no place to play once Crawford comes back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Supposedly Quentin has greatly improved his outfield play.
    He was on his way towards an MVP a few years ago, when he got injured.
    He never got back to that level, since. Batting average nothing to write home about.
    Lots of power, for sure, and he has been playing RF for Chicago.
    Bright guy, went to Stanford. 28 years old, so he's in his prime.
    They have a big prospect that they're looking to make room for, so it could be doable.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: I Solved the Sox Right Field Dilemma?!:
    Well......he's good but 2 issues In general the question is "who do we give up?" w/ Q's contract - do we need someone after this year (and at a steep price) when the plan is for one of the kids to take over (Moreland originally and now either Kalish or Reddick)?
    Posted by andrewmitch

As far as the contract question, I'm not sure I see where you're coming from.  He's due $5.05M for the entire 2011 season and will be working from that figure in arb for 2012, which I can't see topping $9M.  The better question, which you asked, is do we need a RF for 2012 and will he be worth the prospects.

Now's the time to play Reddick every day and see what he can do before we make a deal for an OF for 2012.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Supposedly Quentin has greatly improved his outfield play. He was on his way towards an MVP a few years ago, when he got injured. He never got back to that level, since. Batting average nothing to write home about. Lots of power, for sure, and he has been playing RF for Chicago. Bright guy, went to Stanford. 28 years old, so he's in his prime. They have a big prospect that they're looking to make room for, so it could be doable.
    Posted by tbrod

He appears to be a good fit. This would help with the right sided power the Sox need...not sure what the White Sox would want, that would be up to Theo and co to figure out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I solved this dilemma years ago.

I call it the "anyone but Drew solution."

But as usual, they laughed.

Who's laughing now?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think the answer to RF is already in the Red Sox Org.  I wouldn't go after a FA for RF.

All attention by the Sox needs to be on the rotation.  If Lester and/or Buch is out for a prolonged period, then the Sox will need another arm. Both pitchers could be out for most of the season and that puts the focus on Wake.  I think Wakefield is pitching too much and won't last the season at this pace. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I solved this dilemma years ago. I call it the "anyone but Drew solution." But as usual, they laughed. Who's laughing now?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Come on I believed you.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

1. The days of the Red Sox giving up prospects for rent-a-players is over. This Management group is to smart for that.

2. Who ever the Sox go out and get for RF, if they actually do, would have to fit into the pay scale of JD Drew.

3. Since JD is under contract and will undoubtedly finish out the season on the Red Sox roster, the budget for a RF acquired in season leaves the Francoeur(sp?) of the world. Any other budget money there may be left to spend will and should go towards pitching.

4. The concept of Beltran is great but unless the Mets take JD, and they won't, I just can't see it happening. Now if the Sox could swing a deal for a guy like Pence that they can keep for a few years and fit inside JD salary scale I can the Sox taken on that extra salary.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thewags. Show thewags's posts

As great as a proven player like Beltran or Pence would be great to have, I would rather see this team try to utilize Reddick to fill this hole. He is a cheap, internal solution who has stepped up in a big way since being brought to the big leagues this year. Obviously he cant keep up the absurd numbers he's been posting thus far, but I like the idea of actually seeing how reddick pans out for the majority of a season. I think he has good stuff, and can produce at least as well as JD did during his best years here, probably better. Maybe he wont have a ridiculous UZR, but frankly, I dont care.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im all for in house solutions..As long as Reddick can hang around 280avg, which I believe he can, then he sould get the shot..hes hit L and RHP good..

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I think the answer to RF is already in the Red Sox Org.  I wouldn't go after a FA for RF. All attention by the Sox needs to be on the rotation.  If Lester and/or Buch is out for a prolonged period, then the Sox will need another arm. Both pitchers could be out for most of the season and that puts the focus on Wake.  I think Wakefield is pitching too much and won't last the season at this pace. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Bingo!  The focus should be on starting pitching.  Of course, much depends on how long Lester and Buchholz will be out, but I am much more concerned about the pitching than I am about the offense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I solved this dilemma years ago. I call it the "anyone but Drew solution." But as usual, they laughed. Who's laughing now?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Well see years ago Drew was pretty good.  Now he isn't.  It's not complicated.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

1. The days of the Red Sox giving up prospects for rent-a-players is over. This Management group is to smart for that. 
    Posted by Sully1965

Would you say Sox gave up talent to rent VMart & JBay ?  Wish Masterson was still pitching for Sox, we may not have seen Lackey in Sox uniform if Justin was still here.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

The guys the Sox gave up for Bay were players who are not even playing in MLB anymore. Of course, JBay has fallen on hard times in NY.
    Masterson in the VMart trade is already coming back to bite. He's a very likeable kid and becoming a dominant pitcher.
    Remember, he was put in tough situations as a mere rookie and nearly always came through, it seemed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: I Solved the Sox Right Field Dilemma?! : Would you say Sox gave up talent to rent VMart & JBay ?  Wish Masterson was still pitching for Sox, we may not have seen Lackey in Sox uniform if Justin was still here.
    Posted by blingblang

They weren't rental players in the traditional sense.  They were in Boston for a year and a half each.  Masterson wouldn't have gotten the chance to be a full time starter in Boston because of his poor splits against lefties.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

I dont see them making a move for a RF since Reddick is playing so well.  I see them holding pat for the two weeks since Crawford is coming back, so if Reddick or Drew get worse then I can see them pondering the move.

Id rather see them go after a bullpen guy, the bench is fine and if Lackey plays like the other night he will be fine.  This team is playing well without Lester, Crawford, and Clay, they get those guys back then they will be fine.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Remember V-Mart signed with the Tigers and we got their #1 selection, and a comp. pick, so actually it is incomplete.
    Posted by bobbysu

Matt Barnes & Ownes or Bradely?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

In Response to Re: I Solved the Sox Right Field Dilemma?! : Would you say Sox gave up talent to rent VMart & JBay ?  Wish Masterson was still pitching for Sox, we may not have seen Lackey in Sox uniform if Justin was still here.
    Posted by blingblang

No, because they got multiple seasons from both guys. They will not give up prospects for guys that can walk after this season. I want to see Beltran but I am not holding my breath.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Quentin really isn't a defensive player, although the mn does have a cannon.  He plays RF in Chicago more as a matter of default.  With Juan Pierre on board, they already have a horrific defender in LF.  Rios, the only competent fielder, plays CF.  Leaving Quentin in RF.

He's a decent hitter who has never had a season like his MVP campaign of 2008, which is getting further anf further away each year.

I'd prefer the cheaper Francoer, who will cost less in terms of salary and prospects, is having a comaprable year at the plate and a betetr eyar in the field, and has a habit of going on mini-tears every time he gets new uniform.

And for all the White Sox troubles, they are still only 4.5 games out.  Why would they be selling?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts