I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh

Here is a great post by Youkillus20.  Does anyone else remember it?

Adrian "OFFERMAN" Gonzales

Up to now he's been underwhelming his reputation. He was supposed to spray balls all over Fenway, especially LF. He's the worst cleanup hitter in the ALE, NLE or heck MLB. If he's going to hit like OFFER-MAN, why did they make him such a big Offer, man? His line shows that he's still recovering from surgery, he getting no lift on his hits, and because he makes decent contact he'll get his hits, until he starts showing some pop, don't you think he should be dropped? Here is his Fenway hit chart:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/adrian-gonzalez/hitchart/139851

As a four or five hitter he really offers no protection, and should be placed where singles and doubles guys bat.

~Youkillus20

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh

just another example of jim trying to provoke the very posters he claims to be negative or stupid; he needs them as much as they need him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Burrito, I understand your personal issue with Jim getting "negative with the negatives".  I suppose perhaps there is something to that.  However, I see no problem with calling out posts like this.  There are interesting debate lines drawn on this board between those who need to see success now/every night/no room for ups and downs and those who see baseball as a long hard slog full of ups and downs that you have to accept as inherently part of the game.  Jim pointing to the short-sightedness of the post he cites is an effective example supporting his position in the 'long slog/inherent ups and downs' camp. I also am in this camp.  I get annoyed by posters blowing up guys based on short samples or natural 'slumps' (as if Adrian was ever really in a slump).  I don't generally care to get personal and call people out.  But I certainly support Jim doing so.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In Response to Re: I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh:
    just another example of jim trying to provoke the very posters he claims to be negative or stupid; he needs them as much as they need him.
    Posted by BurritoT

I can see that you obliged.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Is Carl Crawford "tearing it up" yet?...He's batting .250 since coming off the DL in mid-July...I hope he has a good series against the Yankees but the facts are he has the lowest batting average in the lineup and that trend hasn't changed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Is Carl Crawford "tearing it up" yet?...He's batting .250 since coming off the DL in mid-July...I hope he has a good series against the Yankees but the facts are he has the lowest batting average in the lineup and that trend hasn't changed.
    Posted by futbal

is there a relation to this thread that i am missing in your post?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I remember that post.  I was amazed by it.  I believe that is the only time in history that Agon and Offerman have been mentioned in the same sentence.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Even Offerman was offended ...

said he made his own mistakes, thank you very much.  He didn't need someone to tie a silly set of mistaken thoughts to him as well.

Now, however, he is quit pleased to be mentioned in the same sentence as Adrain Gonzalez.  Adrian makes everyone feel, play, and look better.  Even retired guys.  Now THAT is talent!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

Posted by BurritoT

jimbo's the kind of fan that makes you re-think your allegiance to the red sox.
    he'd make a great spin doctor for the crazies in the republican party.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh : I can see that you obliged.
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

i see barney fife joined the party.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Jim's main point is he dislikes the overbearing negativity toward one's own team.

If that's crazy, count me in.

If that makes one a Republican, I guess it's time for me to change parties.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh : jimbo's the kind of fan that makes you re-think your allegiance to the red sox. he'd make a great spin doctor for the crazies in the republican party.
    Posted by the___yazzer

really?  it makes you rethink your allegiance to the sox?  I see.  Says everything i need to know and suspected about you Yazzer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

Jim's main point is he dislikes the overbearing negativity toward one's own team. If that's crazy, count me in. If that makes one a Republican, I guess it's time for me to change parties.
    Posted by SinceYaz

jimbo's main point is that he wants everybody to know that he's a better fan than they are.
    i, personally, dislike jimbo's overbearing positivity towards the red sox.
    god forbid, he would ever say anything negative towards the sox no matter how much it was justified; i.e.: the signing of jd crawford.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh :  really?  it makes you rethink your allegiance to the sox?  I see.  Says everything i need to know and suspected about you Yazzer.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

actually, self-righteous people like jimbo make me re-think my allegiance to the human race.
    you're becoming a lot like jimbo, spaceman, and that's not a compliment.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh : actually, self-righteous people like jimbo make me re-think my allegiance to the human race. you're becoming a lot like jimbo, spaceman, and that's not a compliment.
    Posted by the___yazzer

haha.  no compliment taken.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I don't have to go back in time to laugh at posts on this forum.Take a look at almost anyone and you can laugh at some one. Like earlier this week when some one wondered why Drew (DL) or Sutton (in Paw) had not PH???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh : actually, self-righteous people like jimbo make me re-think my allegiance to the human race. you're becoming a lot like jimbo, spaceman, and that's not a compliment.
    Posted by the___yazzer

Also, pretty funny for a guy who spends all day judging players/Tito/Theo, ripping guys new ones, to call someone else self-righteous.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I try my best to get a laugh out of everyone.

Many of the posters here return the favor, most times unintentionally.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Glad to aid anytime, Zill ...

Good to see ya.

Have you heard the song the Beatles wrote about me?  "Fool on a hill ..."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh : Also, pretty funny for a guy who spends all day judging players/Tito/Theo, ripping guys new ones, to call someone else self-righteous.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

spaceman, let's be more specific.
    i rip two players on the SOX: jd crawford and slackey.
    i rip theo blunder and sometimes tito.

i think they are legitimate rips and i'll keep ripping jd crawford and slackey until they prove me wrong(good luck with that one.)
    and i'll continue to rip theo until he's gone.
    tito is tito and that's never going to change.

no doubt the SOX are a very good team, but they could have been a great team with a better GM.
    i'm just balancing all the rah-rah people.

as i said before, this board is mostly fox news; i'm real time w/bill maher.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WE5NUTS. Show WE5NUTS's posts

I remember that post.  I was amazed by it.  I believe that is the only time in history that Agon and Offerman have been mentioned in the same sentence.
    Posted by snakeoil123

February 16, 2005-
     The twins don't like Justin Morneau's glove, according to reports, and are trying to get Mark Teixeria from the Rangers. Such a package would have to include top prospect Joe Mauer, who was drafted first overall in 2001, but most scouts thought Mark Prior was a better talent. Prior has proven himself so far, but both Prior and Mauer had injury problems in 2004. If the Twins can pull this off, Morneau will DH and Teixeria will play first. However, the Rangers refuse to give up both Teixeria and top prospect Adrian Gonzalez, and demand that Jose Offerman is thrown in to replace Tex until Gonzalez is ready.
     There.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

jim's desultory post is more frightening and true than can be imagined.

If I want to get real sober real fast, I just check my ego at the door and dive into some of my own posts from 2004 and 2005.

And after studying those old diatribes, I realized that I was dumber then and smarter now. Obviously.

Plain as day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

In Response to Re: I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh : spaceman, let's be more specific. i rip two players on the SOX: jd crawford and slackey. i rip theo blunder and sometimes tito. i think they are legitimate rips and i'll keep ripping jd crawford and slackey until they prove me wrong(good luck with that one.) and i'll continue to rip theo until he's gone. tito is tito and that's never going to change. no doubt the SOX are a very good team, but they could have been a great team with a better GM. i'm just balancing all the rah-rah people. as i said before, this board is mostly fox news; i'm real time w/bill maher.
    Posted by the___yazzer

Then why was your first post in this thread attacking Jim who was speaking on Youk's bashing of Adrian Gonzalez? That doesn't make any sense or have any logic. Bill Maher is a realist and also logical.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Personally I have no issue with Jim's annoyance with chronic negativity that has little foundation under it but this OP isn't very cool IMO.

What really is a lack of foundation is of course in the eye of the beholder, but there are a few posters who just beat some things to death. It is their right so long as it isn't done just to incite and doesn't cross lines of subject matter not really best suited for a sports forum.

When those things happen, it really does infringe on the enjoyment of the forum for the majority and that IMO is wrong.

But Jim could have made this point without singling out any one poster who made one of the many frustrated "over the top" OPs that a forum like this can generate.

Even if you wanted to use that specific post Jim, most of us wouldn't have remembered who wrote it and you could have made the same point.

I for one wish you didn't feel the need to single out an author to make the point that sometimes in the heat of the moment we as fans can have some pretty irrational feelings and takes.

Just my take

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from the___yazzer. Show the___yazzer's posts

In Response to Re: I Sometimes Like to Look at Previous Threads for a Laugh : Then why was your first post in this thread attacking Jim who was speaking on Youk's bashing of Adrian Gonzalez? That doesn't make any sense or have any logic. Bill Maher is a realist and also logical.
    Posted by PawsoxPhil

jimbo's speaking of youk's bashing had nothing to do with my attack on him. i just don't like the guy; is that sensible enough?

Sections
Shortcuts