I soooo want the Angels to make the playoffs so You can ALL see how good Zack Greinke is...Anxiety my a%$....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Re: I soooo want the Angels to make the playoffs so You can ALL see how good Zack Greinke is...Anxiety my a%$....

In response to pinstripezac's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Give up the dream, Makonikyman.  It's not happening...

1. There is no way the Red Sox, who have publicly said that they will avoid the long term high priced deals for players who haven't played here, are offering the 100 plus million it will take to sign Greinke.

2. It's no secret that the Angels and Dodgers are both prepared to give him at least that much this winter.  The Sox would have to blow both of those teams out of the water (no shot) to make the player's union pressure him into taking the highest offer.

3. Ben Cherington has said he puts a lot more stock into a player's "make-up" than Theo did.  Do you honestly believe his first big free agent signing is going to be for a pitcher at 100 plus million who takes anxiety meds and is admittedly uncomfortable around people?!?!?!

4.  If you really read the interview with Greinke below, you will understand that this guy would NOT want to play in a place like Boston, NY or Philly.  As a matter of fact, after reading the interview, my guess is that he would rather retire first before signing with a Boston or New York.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/116683129.html  -  Greinke interview from 2011

I don't think he would fold like a tent in Boston at all, like Ed Whitson did in New York, but I don't think either the Sox or Greinke would have any interest whatsoever in each other, considering all of the circumstances.

good post

great link jasko

and interesting guy 4 sure

us fans might not like his ways but it

sounds like he's pretty experienced at blocking out the BS

that he would run into in ny or boston

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Zac...Greinke doesn't come off as a jerk at all, he just likes to keep to himself.  If he was annoyed by the media and autograph requests from fans in KANSAS CITY, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't CHOOSE to go to Boston.  The first thing he said about Milwaukee was that it was "laid back," which is exactly the opposite of Boston & New York. 

I'm not saying he would loose focus or couldn't handle Boston, though I would be a little concerned.  The reason it's not reality to think he'd come here is that he's going to get big offers from "laid back" places such as Anaheim & L.A., on top of the fact that Boston isn't even going to consider giving 100 plus million to a pitcher like Greinke, all anxiety aside. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

Re: I soooo want the Angels to make the playoffs so You can ALL see how good Zack Greinke is...Anxiety my a%$....

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seabeachfred's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We as Red Sox fans have to know by now that certain type of players cannot play in Boston becase of the pressure associated with playing in that city.  Grienke is a very good pitcher but he has anxiety issues, takes meds for them and feels uncomfortable around people.  That is a recipe for disaster in Boston.  Besides, after our disastrous experience with high priced FA's like Gonzales and Crawford who couldn't hack Boston, we have to be real careful who we sign.  My memory is still very clear about Renteria, Crisp, Delcarmen, Penny, and so many others who cratered here.

[/QUOTE]

O h we do, DO WE. YOU HAVE no ideA how many past or present players have had issues with drugs, alcohol, depression or what have you. It s just that Zack Greinke,s issues are out in the open, because his parents have done that since high school, and that way he can deal with and confront them and not have to live in secrecy. The Red Sox have known things about players for years and have kept it away from knuckleheads like you who will pre judge somebody based on a percieved weakness.....dude, get a life, playing in Boston is no diff than any other city. You take the ball and do what you ve done since little league. GET HITTERS OUT. Which Zack Greinke is very, very good at

[/QUOTE]

Speaking of knuckleheads Moiky, wake up and smell the freakin' coffee.  Grienke is not coming here, and how the h@ll do you know who on the Red Sox had these hangups you bring up?  I don't and neither do you.  All I know is that we've had players who could not fit in withthe pressure of playing in Boston and for you to say that playing at Fenway is like playing anywhere is so ludicrous one has to wonder if maybe you were on something when you wrote your missives.

We know about Grienke's problems with anxiety issues and it has nothing to do with his parents admitting it or announcing that he was taking medication for it.  The fact is he has them and he doesn't even want to play in Boston, he would be too expensive and we're not going to spend upwards of $80 to 100 million for him.  Put the torch you're carrying for him and get a grip yourself.  He isn't coming here.  Go back to the drawing board and get a sniff of realism.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

We as Red Sox fans have to know by now that certain type of players cannot play in Boston becase of the pressure associated with playing in that city.  Grienke is a very good pitcher but he has anxiety issues, takes meds for them and feels uncomfortable around people.  That is a recipe for disaster in Boston.  Besides, after our disastrous experience with high priced FA's like Gonzales and Crawford who couldn't hack Boston, we have to be real careful who we sign.  My memory is still very clear about Renteria, Crisp, Delcarmen, Penny, and so many others who cratered here.

[/QUOTE]

O h we do, DO WE. YOU HAVE no ideA how many past or present players have had issues with drugs, alcohol, depression or what have you. It s just that Zack Greinke,s issues are out in the open, because his parents have done that since high school, and that way he can deal with and confront them and not have to live in secrecy. The Red Sox have known things about players for years and have kept it away from knuckleheads like you who will pre judge somebody based on a percieved weakness.....dude, get a life, playing in Boston is no diff than any other city. You take the ball and do what you ve done since little league. GET HITTERS OUT. Which Zack Greinke is very, very good at

[/QUOTE]

Speaking of knuckleheads Moiky, wake up and smell the freakin' coffee.  Grienke is not coming here, and how the h@ll do you know who on the Red Sox had these hangups you bring up?  I don't and neither do you.  All I know is that we've had players who could not fit in withthe pressure of playing in Boston and for you to say that playing at Fenway is like playing anywhere is so ludicrous one has to wonder if maybe you were on something when you wrote your missives.

We know about Grienke's problems with anxiety issues and it has nothing to do with his parents admitting it or announcing that he was taking medication for it.  The fact is he has them and he doesn't even want to play in Boston, he would be too expensive and we're not going to spend upwards of $80 to 100 million for him.  Put the torch you're carrying for him and get a grip yourself.  He isn't coming here.  Go back to the drawing board and get a sniff of realism.

[/QUOTE]

Wow makonikyman...No need for name calling because someone brings up valid points that dont agree with your view. We can agree to disagree on things without that BS...Nobody is "judging" anyone here. Just bringing up Facts that are important when possibly giving someone a HUGE sum of money for many years.

I get blasted sometimes for what I believe we should do, we all do at some point. I State my case and debate with those that want to. It comes to a point where, although valid points are given, our views dont change and we agree to disagree and end the debate/conversation and move on...No need to get all bent because everyone doesnt see it the way you do...Your better than that...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

if Greinke walks out on the mound at Fenway in a Red Sox uniform his brain may explode into a million anxiety filled pieces.  leave the guy in the obscurity of West Coast baseball. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Angels keeping Greinke?

Will Anaheim wind up making a decision between re-signing Zack Greinke, or Dan Haren and Ervin Santana during the offseason? The Angels' preference, I'm told, is still to re-sign Greinke. A source familiar with the team's thinking told me recently that he expects the Angels to cut ties with both Santana and Haren this offseason and focus their efforts on signing him to a multi-year extension. So, I expect the Angels to decline their team options on Santana ($13 million) and Haren ($15.5 million) during the exclusive negotiating window and go hard after Greinke (six years, $125 million is the price tag many have associated with him). But if they can't resign him, perhaps then -- and only then, in my mind -- they try to bring back Haren and/or Santana..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

None of you can possibly understand what Greinke's battle with social anxiety was like, and how it DOESN'T effect a player's performance. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

if Greinke walks out on the mound at Fenway in a Red Sox uniform his brain may explode into a million anxiety filled pieces.  leave the guy in the obscurity of West Coast baseball. 

[/QUOTE]

Ignorance at it's finest. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

wow....nice. keep hitting the pipe dude...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

None of you can possibly understand what Greinke's battle with social anxiety was like, and how it DOESN'T effect a player's performance. 

[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU....finally someone who GETS IT. My guess is Zack Greinke  not affected AT ALL by playing the game of baseball. It,s his sanctuary, he becomes a totally different person (like most pitchers do that are really good) when he can compete out there on the mound. By dealing with at a very young age and bringing it to the forefront has prob helped him to become one of the very best pitchers in the game today. The guy has to be so mentally tough (which is a trait of ALL GREAT PITCHERS) to have overcome this. I really cant believe people cant understand that

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU....finally someone who GETS IT. My guess is Zack Greinke  not affected AT ALL by playing the game of baseball. It,s his sanctuary, he becomes a totally different person (like most pitchers do that are really good) when he can compete out there on the mound. By dealing with at a very young age and bringing it to the forefront has prob helped him to become one of the very best pitchers in the game today. The guy has to be so mentally tough (which is a trait of ALL GREAT PITCHERS) to have overcome this. I really cant believe people cant understand that

[/QUOTE]

Well said. I had pretty bad SAD during high school and managed to play baseball throughout. It was uncomfortable at times but I felt that when out on the field, the SA was gone. It was one of the only situations inwhich I felt anxiety free. I've been out of highschool for 2 years now and have seeked help and improved a lot - which as made college life a lot easier. The anxiety never goes away but it can be improved. I think Greinke's occaisonal struggles are the same as any pitchers. There a very few guys who can go through a professional career without having a down season or two. (Look a Lincecum this year). Grienke may have had an issue several years back but that was a result of depression, and he's been through a lot of work to better himself from it.

Obviously that's just high school though. I have no idea what it would be like in the MLB or how severe Grienke's is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said. I had pretty bad SAD during high school and managed to play baseball throughout. It was uncomfortable at times but I felt that when out on the field, the SA was gone. It was one of the only situations inwhich I felt anxiety free. I've been out of highschool for 2 years now and have seeked help and improved a lot - which as made college life a lot easier. The anxiety never goes away but it can be improved. I think Greinke's occaisonal struggles are the same as any pitchers. There a very few guys who can go through a professional career without having a down season or two. (Look a Lincecum this year). Grienke may have had an issue several years back but that was a result of depression, and he's been through a lot of work to better himself from it.

Obviously that's just high school though. I have no idea what it would be like in the MLB or how severe Grienke's is.

[/QUOTE]

you know what they say bisson," if it don,t kill ya, it only makes you stronger." Obviously in Greinke,s case it has made him stronger, and hopefully it will for you also. Talking about it, and having a good understanding support group of family and friends will pull you through any tough time. Nothing to be ashamed of AT ALL man. Go out there and enjoy college, laugh at yourself, and try not to go to too many of those keg party,s at school....haha. Good luck

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

this was my point.  i dont say it as eloquently though.

apologies if you were offended by my statement.  but my point stands - there is no pressure cooker like east coast baseball and especially Boston baseball.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

this was my point.  i dont say it as eloquently though.

apologies if you were offended by my statement.  but my point stands - there is no pressure cooker like east coast baseball and especially Boston baseball.

[/QUOTE]

Dude...I really don,t think you understand. Pressure is what we make it.How we handle it.  What is more pressure? Pitching in a state championship game in the state of florida, with the whole school and town watching you, knowing that you re they re only hope ? Or working out by yourself for all 30 teams prior to the draft at 18 yrs old ? That,s pressure. Doing these types of things and not knowing fully why your not enjoying it, or happy. Not understanding things. I,m sure if you asked him he,d tell you that back then, because he didnt understand his illness and how it affected him, that it was by far the most difficult, preasure filled time of his life. Pitching in the northeast, or where ever, is easy compared to what he went through at that age back then. He,s grown stronger, matured, and has become one NASTY DUDE when he,s on the bump. he ,s a pretty solid well rounded dude. He,s married to his hs sweetheart (who happens to be miss daytona beach..lol), his parents are school teachers, he knows fully now why he feels n thinks certain ways,life is good...NO PREASURE AT ALL pitching in Boston imo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seabeachfred. Show seabeachfred's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE]Angels keeping Greinke?

Will Anaheim wind up making a decision between re-signing Zack Greinke, or Dan Haren and Ervin Santana during the offseason? The Angels' preference, I'm told, is still to re-sign Greinke. A source familiar with the team's thinking told me recently that he expects the Angels to cut ties with both Santana and Haren this offseason and focus their efforts on signing him to a multi-year extension. So, I expect the Angels to decline their team options on Santana ($13 million) and Haren ($15.5 million) during the exclusive negotiating window and go hard after Greinke (six years, $125 million is the price tag many have associated with him). But if they can't resign him, perhaps then -- and only then, in my mind -- they try to bring back Haren and/or Santana..

Pretty precise 56Red Sox---and living in the LA area that's what I've been hearing and reading as well.  The Angels w ant to keep Grienke and resign him and might try and sign either Santana or Haren---but not both of them.  One or both of them will be out of Anaheim come next season.  I'm glad we know about Grienke's anxiety problems. To sign such a guy and then see him come apart emotionally on us would be hard to take. I think he is much better off in the non-pressurized atmosphere of Anaheim.

[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's ridiculous.  All you are engaged in is wishful thinking.

Here are a couple of facts for you-

1-This year, his ERA at home is 0.86 lower than the road, last year it was 1.57 higher on the road.  That speaks to comfort.

2-His record at NY, Boston, TB, BA, and TO is 1-13.

3-His record in the playoffs is 1-1 with a 6.48.

I have nothing against him, and I hope he succeeds, but there is far more argument against him being in NY or in Boston, then there is in favor of him.  He is certainly a good pitcher.  But if you are opening the vault, you need a greater level of certainty.  You can't commit to $20M+ for 6 years and 'hope' his SAD doesn't bother him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, I can't. I can guess that it WILL affect his pitching performance though. Playing in Boston is not just about playing the games. Its going out to dinner with your family on off days, taking your kid to school, going to the grocery store-all the while being recognized by rabid Boston Red Sox fans. I do not think I would want that for either the Red Sox or for Greinke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Delcarman was a locakinds drafted by the Sox spent a while in the minors and had a couple good years as a 7th inning guy.

Sections
Shortcuts