I still believe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I still believe

To all the "I'm taking my ball and going home" crowd, I still believe in this team!
    I believe they have the horses (somewhat swayback, I'll admit) to make a run to the PS. On paper, they have a top starting rotation and maybe, just maybe, the firing of McClure might make that paper come to life in a positive way.
    We know they have a solid offense, but have been lacking some timely hitting. A little more aggressiveness and risk taking might provide the recipe for fixing that, nothing to lose.

I've said before desire and confidence (tempered by humility) is the ticket. A take no prisoners attitude and unselfish play will reap rewards.

However, it's hard for the team to believe in themselves, if the fans don't. So I'm calling on every fan to have some faith that these guys can turn things around.
    It's not too late. The fat lady hs not sung. Give them all your support. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: I still believe

In Response to I still believe:
    To all the "I'm taking my ball and going home" crowd, I still believe in this team! I believe they have the horses (somewhat swayback, I'll admit) to make a run to the PS. On paper, they have a top starting rotation and maybe, just maybe, the firing of McClure might make that paper come to life in a positive way. We know they have a solid offense, but have been lacking some timely hitting. A little more aggressiveness and risk taking might provide the recipe for fixing that, nothing to lose. I've said before desire and confidence (tempered by humility) is the ticket. A take no prisoners attitude and unselfish play will reap rewards. However, it's hard for the team to believe in themselves, if the fans don't. So I'm calling on every fan to have some faith that these guys can turn things around. It's not too late. The fat lady hs not sung. Give them all your support. 
    Posted by Alibiike

Chances are slim to none, but I'm still watching.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

yes, now that a guy who never talked to BV, or should I say the manager never talked to him...that sparks the team? Firing a pitching coach changes what exactly? Firing the manager changes the atmosphere, not firing a lietenant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Aaron Cook went above BV's head at the advice of other pitchers...to see if they had a 5-man or 6-man rotation. Randy Niemann changes this how?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In Response to Re: I still believe:
    Aaron Cook went above BV's head at the advice of other pitchers...to see if they had a 5-man or 6-man rotation. Randy Niemann changes this how?
    Posted by dannycater

Danny,

Cook went over his head because he wasnt told when he was pitching....I would think rotations are normally set in meeting between the manager and the Pitching Coach(it was with Farrell and Tito) and then it would be the Pitching Coach who works with these gusy everyday who would relay that to the Pitchers. So Cook not only wnet over Bobbys head , he went over McClures head also. Sinc Niemann is Bobbys guy, the communication will or at least should be better. As to the OP, no one is better than still believing than Long time Sox Fans....we all still want to believe....it is a Simple as 5 guys winning 2 games in a Row each. something they have all done this year already.....do it together...win 10 games in a row...hopefully get back to within 3 games or better of the playoffs and then maybe we could more than just want to believe.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

tom, and I still say fire the manager, and it could very well happen. The light might go on, it's worth a shot, but if the atmosphere is the same, how do you expect anything to change for the better...the team has shown that it won't play for BV. That's what this comes down to. If you got a manager and the players won't respond, it's time to move on. And before anyone uses Tito's collapse, that was one month out of a 9-year career of 2 WS titles, 92-95 win seasons...This is an under .500 team in late August. This version didn't collapse, it's never even gotten out in a position to win a few in a row.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to I still believe:
    To all the "I'm taking my ball and going home" crowd, I still believe in this team! I believe they have the horses (somewhat swayback, I'll admit) to make a run to the PS. On paper, they have a top starting rotation and maybe, just maybe, the firing of McClure might make that paper come to life in a positive way. We know they have a solid offense, but have been lacking some timely hitting. A little more aggressiveness and risk taking might provide the recipe for fixing that, nothing to lose. I've said before desire and confidence (tempered by humility) is the ticket. A take no prisoners attitude and unselfish play will reap rewards. However, it's hard for the team to believe in themselves, if the fans don't. So I'm calling on every fan to have some faith that these guys can turn things around. It's not too late. The fat lady hs not sung. Give them all your support. 
    Posted by Alibiike

As Bill would say " son, it's time to take off the blinders, put down the pom poms and deal with reality" ! It has been a lost season since May. If them telling Crawford to have his surgery now doesn't tell you anything then nothing will. They packed it in a long time ago. Let the kids play !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

JP, I called for BV's firing in May...And nothing has changed my mind about BV and his absolute terrible way of handling all the duties associated with today's managers. They are asked to do a lot, and part of that is communication. BV is one of the worst communicators, absolutely one of the worst..Either he got worse or he was always this bad, but Boston's media picked up on it better than NY.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

JP, I called for BV's firing in May...And nothing has changed my mind about BV and his absolute terrible way of handling all the duties associated with today's managers. They are asked to do a lot, and part of that is communication. BV is one of the worst communicators, absolutely one of the worst..Either he got worse or he was always this bad, but Boston's media picked up on it better than NY.
    Posted by dannycater

I agree Danny, these players have no desire to play for Valentine. I am not saying Francona was perfect but he was used as a scape goat. I would rather see him in the dugout any day over this clown.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

How soon people forget the "Boston is a tough place to play. With all the noise, you can see why free agents have decided not to come here." What kind of manager says that publicly, even if he thought it?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Beckett is nt the only guy struggling.  There are bunch of others too.  Salty, Lavarnway, Ross, Ellsbury, Doubront, etc.

If everyone start to click on the same page for most games for the rest of the season, they could go easily 31-9.  

Biggest loss is Papi and Middlebrook.  Both are the team's best power hitters.  That is a huge loss.  Power hitting for Boston havent been seen in days except one blow out game a week ago.  Agonz can hit power, but now lately he have been pitched around due teams know that Boston doesnt have any hot hitting power hitter hitting front or behind Agonz.  

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to I still believe : As Bill would say " son, it's time to take off the blinders, put down the pom poms and deal with reality" ! It has been a lost season since May. If them telling Crawford to have his surgery now doesn't tell you anything then nothing will. They packed it in a long time ago. Let the kids play !
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

if we were 15 games under .500, I would tend to agree. But we are not, we are 4 games under .500, 8 games out of the WC with 40 to play.
    Will we need help along the way? Sure, the same way we helped the Rays last year comes to mind.
    Nothing is a lock, or written in stone. Anything can (and has) happened in baseball.
    About CC. He quit on the team, as far as I'm concerned, and he gets my comtempt.
    I hope they can find a way to move him out.
    I have wanted from the beginning of the year for the kids to play. Perhaps we would have a better record if that were the case.
    I'm still all for the kids to get some playing time, but that is no reason to pack it in.
    The youngsters can win a WS just as well as the veterans.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: I still believe : if we were 15 games under .500, I would tend to agree. But we are not, we are 4 games under .500, 8 games out of the WC with 40 to play. Will we need help along the way? Sure, the same way we helped the Rays last year comes to mind. Nothing is a lock, or written in stone. Anything can (and has) happened in baseball. About CC. He quit on the team, as far as I'm concerned, and he gets my comtempt. I hope they can find a way to move him out. I have wanted from the beginning of the year for the kids to play. Perhaps we would have a better record if that were the case. I'm still all for the kids to get some playing time, but that is no reason to pack it in. The youngsters can win a WS just as well as the veterans.
    Posted by Alibiike

I really like your optimism but I just can't seem to get there. This team has given us nothing all season to make us think they are post season worthy. Do you honestly think they can overcome the losses of Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Crawford ect. When I see a lineup card that consists of Ciriaco, Lavarnway, Nava, Punto & Posednik this tells me they already have next season on their minds.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Beckett is nt the only guy struggling.  There are bunch of others too.  Salty, Lavarnway, Ross, Ellsbury, Doubront, etc. If everyone start to click on the same page for most games for the rest of the season, they could go easily 31-9.   Biggest loss is Papi and Middlebrook.  Both are the team's best power hitters.  That is a huge loss.  Power hitting for Boston havent been seen in days except one blow out game a week ago.  Agonz can hit power, but now lately he have been pitched around due teams know that Boston doesnt have any hot hitting power hitter hitting front or behind Agonz.  
    Posted by GoUconn13

Easily? With the issues this team has? And when was the last time any team did this?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

So with 49 games to play, you really think the Sox will go 32 and 8, while all 5 teams ahead of them[Balt.,Tampa,Angels, A's, and Tigers] all go 22 and 18 or worse?Chances of that are slim at best, and  what would give anyone any hope that the Sox will go on any sort of winning streak?
    Crawford is now gone for the year, Ortiz who really knows about him, Midlebrooks is gone for the year, Beckett is out of shape and unconcerned, Lester is pitching better, but not back to the old Lester, and who knows about the attitudes of the present Sox player's? You just don't played sub five hundred baseball for 5 months, and then decide it's crunch time so let's play .800 baseball and win it all.
     And if anyone believes that by firing the pitching coach things will get back to normal, then I've got ocean front property in Utah I will sell you.
    Yes as Sox fans we won't  concede until we are out for sure, but this team has not given a bit of evedience that they can or want to play winning baseball.
    And of course, living in Yankee country[upstate NY] I am already hearing in bunches about the Sox, and taking a beating now that it appears over for us. I guess for that reason alone I hold out hope, but realistically we are dead in the water.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

yes, now that a guy who never talked to BV, or should I say the manager never talked to him...that sparks the team? Firing a pitching coach changes what exactly? Firing the manager changes the atmosphere, not firing a lietenant.
    Posted by dannycater

Don't know about Mcclure, danny, but reportedly, the coach who doesn't talk to BV, is Gary Tuck.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

I meant 40 games to go, not 49.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

How soon people forget the "Boston is a tough place to play. With all the noise, you can see why free agents have decided not to come here." What kind of manager says that publicly, even if he thought it?
    Posted by dannycater

You don't think Crawford has regrets about signing with Boston even if he is making a zillion dollars?  In retrospect, I'll bet he would have preferred to have signed elsewhere in a less pressure-filled environment for less money.

After all, after a few million a year, how much more is really needed?

Valentine was never allowed to hire his own people.  Hence, he inherited some back-stabbing, close-mouthed, mole sycophants(brown-nosers).  This formula for failure was not Valentine's fault.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

So with 49 games to play, you really think the Sox will go 32 and 8, while all 5 teams ahead of them[Balt.,Tampa,Angels, A's, and Tigers] all go 22 and 18 or worse?Chances of that are slim at best, and  what would give anyone any hope that the Sox will go on any sort of winning streak? Crawford is now gone for the year, Ortiz who really knows about him, Midlebrooks is gone for the year, Beckett is out of shape and unconcerned, Lester is pitching better, but not back to the old Lester, and who knows about the attitudes of the present Sox player's? You just don't played sub five hundred baseball for 5 months, and then decide it's crunch time so let's play .800 baseball and win it all.  And if anyone believes that by firing the pitching coach things will get back to normal, then I've got ocean front property in Utah I will sell you. Yes as Sox fans we won't  concede until we are out for sure, but this team has not given a bit of evedience that they can or want to play winning baseball. And of course, living in Yankee country[upstate NY] I am already hearing in bunches about the Sox, and taking a beating now that it appears over for us. I guess for that reason alone I hold out hope, but realistically we are dead in the water.
    Posted by peanutandme

8 out with 40 to play is do-able. The hard part mathematically is leap frogging several teams who play each other fairly often.

Sections
Shortcuts