I still want to know one thing..

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

I still want to know one thing..

Why was Pap so determined to get away from Red Sox?  He has made no comments to press that I've seen nor does he likely plan to comment...but he was packed and ready and left ASAP...The truck day article clearly states his agent did not give Red Sox a chance to match the Phillies' offer...so it is obvious Pap had no interest in staying at Boston at all.  The "why" really bugs me.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: I still want to know one thing..

pride probably....we didnt re-up him during the season, balked at his high demands, and he probably felt slighted and underappreciated...i also think the clubhouse nonsense probably made him want to start fresh...Philly is a pretty good place to land for 50mil....props to him

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Medic87. Show Medic87's posts

the answer to all your questions is......MONEY.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

In Response to I still want to know one thing..:
    [QUOTE]Why was Pap so determined to get away from Red Sox?  He has made no comments to press that I've seen nor does he likely plan to comment...but he was packed and ready and left ASAP...The truck day article clearly states his agent did not give Red Sox a chance to match the Phillies' offer...so it is obvious Pap had no interest in staying at Boston at all.  The "why" really bugs me.
    Posted by michaelsjr[/QUOTE]

Pap was going to maximize his contract in FA. The Sox were going year to year on paying their closer. I think both sides knew where the lines were drawn, hence the lack of negotiation.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

I personally think Philadelphia is not a good park for him. He's a fly ball pitcher and they have a short RF. He may have some games where he gives up 2 HR in one inning. Not a great fit.

I think he's great. Don't get me wrong, but he is not going to keep putting up a sub 3.00 ERA for too many more years in Philadelphia IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

He may have been unhappy about something. We will probably never know. Pretty hard to turn down the Phil's offer. Let's just hope that Bailey has " A Wonderful Career."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to I still want to know one thing..:
    [QUOTE]Why was Pap so determined to get away from Red Sox?  He has made no comments to press that I've seen nor does he likely plan to comment...but he was packed and ready and left ASAP...The truck day article clearly states his agent did not give Red Sox a chance to match the Phillies' offer...so it is obvious Pap had no interest in staying at Boston at all.  The "why" really bugs me.
    Posted by michaelsjr[/QUOTE]

That's a good point; the vibe I got from him was he didn't want to stay; but why? Are there other reasons besides what has already been posted?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Paplebon may have already known the approximate parameters of what the Sox were going to offer him in terms of years and money.The Phillies offer probably exceeded what the Sox were willing to give in both.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: I still want to know one thing..:
    [QUOTE]Paplebon may have already known the approximate parameters of what the Sox were going to offer him in terms of years and money.The Phillies offer probably exceeded what the Sox were willing to give in both.
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

I think the clubhouse/fingerpointing thing has something to do with it also. Perhaps he wanted to distance himself from it so his reputation couldn't take a hit from the fallout; I admit I'm guessing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Tired of the Leftist Boston bigots from The People's Republic, calling him a stupid backwoods redneck.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]Tired of the Leftist Boston bigots from The People's Republic, calling him a stupid backwoods redneck.
    Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

I'm sure thats what it was.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]You are likely better off without him.
    Posted by Yankenstein2[/QUOTE]

Disagree, troublemaker

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Sox had 7-8 years to teach him a second pitch. He flirted with the split, a change-up, and others I can't remember. Some success but nothing lasting. He got by primarily with his fastball. In the end I think Philly asked him what his no return price would be. He said 50Mil. They agreed. He's put himself in a better place to learn a second pitch. He probably figured 8 is enough.If he gets that second pitch and commands it, maybe HOF. Think D.Bard could use a second pitch? Better believe it. Think he could learn it in Boston? Maybe not. These guys live on their heaters. When things go bad, thats all they've got. 19 fastballs in a row to Andino has to tell you something.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I still want to know one thing.. : I think the clubhouse/fingerpointing thing has something to do with it also. Perhaps he wanted to distance himself from it so his reputation couldn't take a hit from the fallout; I admit I'm guessing.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I am guessing as much as you are, but I don't think Paps was in a hurry to leave Boston.  I think he was going to go wherever the most money was.  He has made it know since early in his professional career that setting the bar for closers was his goal.  Personally, I think if the Red Sox had matched the deal, he would have stayed and been happy to do so.

As far as the Red Sox not being given a chance to counter the Phillies offer, either Lucchino or Cherington stated that the they knew the Sox weren't coming close to matching that offer, so there was really no point in trying to.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]You are likely better off without him.
    Posted by Yankenstein2[/QUOTE]

Better off without him?   No.

Better off without him at $50mil/4 yrs?   Yes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

WHY, YOU ASK WHY ????   BECAUSE PAP KNEW THAT THE SOX WERE NOT GOING WAY OUT IN LENGTH OF CONTRACT.....  AND SAW A MARKET THAT WAS GETTING SHAKEY.......  TOOK THE 1ST SUCKER, AND RAN !!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Papelbon made it very clear that he was looking forward to his free agency and getting the most years and $.  Both sides knew Boston wasn't the place for either.

He did great things for the Red Sox, and I don't blame him for walking to the money.

I'm surprised he didn't field any offers at all from any other team either.  So just as he didn't give the Sox a chance to counter, he also gave no other team an opportunity.  Did he/Philly know all 2011?

Sections
Shortcuts