I think it's perfect time for positional change

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think it's perfect time for positional change

With Bogaerts cruising in Pawtucket (last 10 games: .387/.514/.484 8:4 BB:SO) and Middlebrooks starts to get around also down at the Pawtucket (last 10 games: .286/.333/.595 4 HRs 14 RBIs), I think they could start to get used to other positions besides ones that they are currently playing.  There's no doubt Bogaerts will be the starter for the Boston Red Sox on 2014 opening day which means our IF will be crowded if Iglesias stays with the team.  If Ben decides not to move Iglesias or Middlebrooks in a trade, I think this is the best time to have Bogaerts and Middlebrooks play at 3B and 1B respectively or LF for Bogaerts.  Even though Napoli is staying somewhat healthy and productive in the middle of our lineup, I don't see him coming for next year unless he starts to hit bombs over the Monster.  I think his lack of HRs will have some affect on team's decision to bring him back next year unless Napoli is willing to take less money.  Red Sox don't have to overspend on Napoli next year since we have internal options.  Mike Carp is younger and much cheaper and under team control.  He has power and plays 1B.  We also have Nava and could turn him into fulltime 1B if OF gets too crowded next year.  Middlebrooks will be fine at 1B defensively and he could be All Star 1B upon finding his rhythm back.  

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

Re: I think it's perfect time for positional change

I had similar thoughts last night (though I had no clue how Bogaerts is doing).  The Snyder play the other night pointed out the folly of putting players in positions they have never played.  They know what they have in Middlebrooks defensively at 3rd (hitting is his issue).  Exposing Bogaerts to another position for an extended period of time needs to be done.  I would start with him at 3rd and see how he adapts.  If it doesn't work out, they can try him in left. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Bogaerts at 3B Iggy at SS and Middlebrooks at 1B.....although If Middlebrooks comes roaring back he may have much more value at 3B which in turn means he may have more value to this team as a trading chip in the offseason.  Don't get me wrong I'm a huge fan of the kid and will have no complaints if he was given the chance to lock down 1B. 

Bogaerts has been taking alot of practice at 3B down in Pawtucket already and even played a game there....So the Sox are at least thinking of making that change soon. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I have often wondered why more teams do not ask their younger players to become more versatile and start these young guys getting reps at more than on position.

With that said, I have also wondered why more of these young guys do not ask to play (or at least get some reps) at other positions. 

I know that most of these young guys are pretty pampered throughout their entire careers in little league, legion, high school and college, but it would only make sense for both parties to look at more than just one position.  Kind of like the old saying about "don't put all your eggs in one basket" thought.

I am not picking on Middlebrooks or Bogearts but why wouldn't Middlbrooks have already thought of learning some of the basics of playing first or left?  How about Bogearts thinking the same way?   How about the Red Sox thinking the same way with these two guys a couple of years ago?

Is is impossible to realize that there are not going to be many guys who are going to be the regular third baseman or shotstop or right fielder in Boston in any one season?  And also to realize that Boston has six or seven guys in their system who they think/hope will fill those first string positions in Boston in time.

More versatility by either the player or the team would make sense for all involved.   High school teams do this all the time and it never really takes anything away from the guy playing his best position.  A few reps at first base does not make you a less talented third baseman.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Bogaerts has been asked to play multiple positions and has been practicing all infield positions down in Pawtucket.

all things considered you won't a guy to play everyday and develop on the position he is best suited for.

Bogaerts is a rare example of the Sox finding a spot for him to get his bat in the lineup or increase his versatility for a playoff run. 

But NORMALLy a guy plays and practices multiple positions when his bat is not that good but he has superior defense thus increasing his value to a MLB club.  To some prospects....that is their path to the majors. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I was advocating moving Bogaerts to 3B in the spring of 2012 with the idea that Middlebrooks would be moved to 1B by 2014 at the latest.

With Cecchini burning his way up the ladder, moving Middlebrooks now makes all the sense in the world.

With Napoli struggling, we may end up needing Middlebrooks at 1B sooner than we hope. Of course, we have Carp, but he is still largely a question mark, and may turn out to be nothing more than a good platoon 1B/LF'er.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I have no idea why the Sox have been so slow to start making these positional changes. It is pretty obvious that some of these guys have to learn a new postion.  Why wait? What is the down side ?

Stabbed by Foulke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

I have no idea why the Sox have been so slow to start making these positional changes. It is pretty obvious that some of these guys have to learn a new postion.  Why wait? What is the down side ?

Stabbed by Foulke.

Bogaerts is learning 3rd

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Bogaerts is learning 3rd

[/QUOTE]

Okay. I think he played third in the WBC also.. Moving from short to third is probably the easiest transition.  Now , Middlebrooks and/or Cecchini to first or the outfield. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Bogaerts is learning 3rd

[/QUOTE]

Okay. I think he played third in the WBC also.. Moving from short to third is probably the easiest transition.  Now , Middlebrooks and/or Cecchini to first or the outfield. 

[/QUOTE]

I think the best scenario for us is to move Boggy to LF and Cecchini stays at 3B while WMB is our new 1B.  Of course better chance we won't see Cecchini in the big league until mid to late 2014.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I don't know much about Cecchini, but the numbers are very impressive. I don't remember anyone adjusting to AA ball so quickly, including Bogaerts and Bradley. The kid seems like a natural hitter. I would fast track him and see how he responds. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I don't know much about Cecchini, but the numbers are very impressive. I don't remember anyone adjusting to AA ball so quickly, including Bogaerts and Bradley. The kid seems like a natural hitter. I would fast track him and see how he responds. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

His numbers at AA right now are eye popping but it's almost a given that either he or Bogaerts will become a 3rd baseman the other will become a left fielder and Middlebrooks will become a 1st baseman. So yeah I agree why wait start the position changes now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

If Cecchini is still with AA Portland --for $5 you can see him in the Futures Game at Fenway this month. He's the type player that the Sox have become: patient, sees a lot of pitches, uses the entire field and hits with occasional power. 

I have made the comparison that he may be the next great lefthanded bat to come along since Boggs. He makes the plays in the field--I don't think he will be the fielder Iggy is but he can play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Stabbed by Foulke.

Generally speaking, you keep a guy at the most skilled position possible.  Before this year, there was still a reasonable chance that Bogaerts would be the SS of the future.  And I think it's just easier to 'play down' to a new position.  I'd expect Bogie and WMB to pick up their new positions pretty quick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to charliedarling's comment:

I have often wondered why more teams do not ask their younger players to become more versatile and start these young guys getting reps at more than on position.

With that said, I have also wondered why more of these young guys do not ask to play (or at least get some reps) at other positions. 

I know that most of these young guys are pretty pampered throughout their entire careers in little league, legion, high school and college, but it would only make sense for both parties to look at more than just one position.  Kind of like the old saying about "don't put all your eggs in one basket" thought.

I am not picking on Middlebrooks or Bogearts but why wouldn't Middlbrooks have already thought of learning some of the basics of playing first or left?  How about Bogearts thinking the same way?   How about the Red Sox thinking the same way with these two guys a couple of years ago?

Is is impossible to realize that there are not going to be many guys who are going to be the regular third baseman or shotstop or right fielder in Boston in any one season?  And also to realize that Boston has six or seven guys in their system who they think/hope will fill those first string positions in Boston in time.

More versatility by either the player or the team would make sense for all involved.   High school teams do this all the time and it never really takes anything away from the guy playing his best position.  A few reps at first base does not make you a less talented third baseman.

My guess... only a guess... is that it's because they see a player as having a maximum value at a particular position based on his skills.  (Can you see Pedey in CF and Ells at 2B?  LOL)  Once that player has developed enough to reach the ML level, he can then either stay with the parent team or, if he's blocked, be used as solid trade bait.  It maximizes their "training time".

Hey, I didn't say it was a good reason.  It's just what I think is happening.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

During fielding practice they have given WMB reps at 1b, same with Bogey at 3b. Bogey has also played games at 3b in AAA and in the WBC. His defense certainly needs some work. When I saw him a couple times in Portland, his footwork at SS didnt look smooth at all. Offensively he was aces.

They dont need to make any permanent switch right now. But they have already started the process.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

My guess... only a guess... is that it's because they see a player as having a maximum value at a particular position based on his skills.  (Can you see Pedey in CF and Ells at 2B?  LOL)  Once that player has developed enough to reach the ML level, he can then either stay with the parent team or, if he's blocked, be used as solid trade bait.  It maximizes their "training time".

Hey, I didn't say it was a good reason.  It's just what I think is happening. 

I'd also bet that the majority of players that practice at multiple positions are either those that cannot field any position, or those that are unlikely to be MLB regulars, like Ciriaco.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Stabbed by Foulke.

Bogaerts is learning 3rd

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the best scenario for us is to move Boggy to LF and Cecchini stays at 3B while WMB is our new 1B.  Of course better chance we won't see Cecchini in the big league until mid to late 2014.  

[/QUOTE]

No you never move a blue chip prospect off the position he is best slated for....Bogaerts plays 3rd and Cecchini moves to the outfield/1B.   But I think your eta is spot on.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Move Bogaerts to 3B and Middlebrooks to 1B fulltime in AAA. Keep Cecchini at 3B in AA, until we know how everything shakes out. If Middlebrooks never makes it, we make end up moving Bogaerts to 1B with Cecchini at 3B by 2015 or 2016, depending on who our management feels is the better fielding 3Bman.

I don't see why we'd move a SS to LF. He seems perfectly suited for 3B with 1B a closer fit than LF. 

Cecchini is too far away to start messing with his position, but things might change by next season as he moves to AAA.

Sox4ever

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Moon I totally agree that Bogaerts is better suited for 3B.  But I can see him in LF too.....at least over 1B.  Bogaerts has the athleticism to add value in the field and 1B is normally where you stick guys who can't hit.  I mean hypothetically I can see Bogaerts at 1B one day, but he has more value at an other position so if he can play the outfield then he'd be there over 1st.  But I think we  both agree he is more likely destined for 3rd.

25. This post has been removed.