I think it's time for a new left side...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

I think it's time for a new left side...

Let's get the show on the road and stop horsing around and bring up BOTH Middlebrooks, AND boggy. This team needs an infusion really quick and they are the two that can do it. Keep Iggy around ( now that he's hitting the way we all thought he would)  as a super sub, base runner late, etc...drew...well,  he certainly had his chances, but it's time to cut ties and bring up the young guys that are the future of this franchise . Maybe we strike lightning in a bottle and they carry us to the WS, but worst case, they get invaluable experience playing in a pennant raceCmon Ben...Stop jerking us around

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Re: I think it's time for a new left side...

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to makonikyman's comment:

[QUOTE]

Let's get the show on the road and stop horsing around and bring up BOTH Middlebrooks, AND boggy. This team needs an infusion really quick and they are the two that can do it. Keep Iggy around ( now that he's hitting the way we all thought he would)  as a super sub, base runner late, etc...drew...well,  he certainly had his chances, but it's time to cut ties and bring up the young guys that are the future of this franchise . Maybe we strike lightning in a bottle and they carry us to the WS, but worst case, they get invaluable experience playing in a pennant raceCmon Ben...Stop jerking us around

Good post ......  I see Bogarts at 3rd, IGGY at SS and Middlebrooks being moved for pitching !!!!!   After watching Tamper Bay & last nights Baltimore game, it is obvious what BEN need to do !!!

[/QUOTE]

Not gonna happen ( trade Midds for pitching) , if Buch comes back they won't need another starter. Right now....they need offense. Midds and Boggy will give them that. 

They WIL NOT trade Midds unless they get blown away. If the front office believes Boggy can handle short, then Iggy is the odd man out IMO..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Good post ......  I see Bogarts at 3rd, IGGY at SS and Middlebrooks being moved for pitching !!!!!   After watching Tamper Bay & last nights Baltimore game, it is obvious what BEN need to do !!!

[/QUOTE]

Not gonna happen ( trade Midds for pitching) , if Buch comes back they won't need another starter. Right now....they need offense. Midds and Boggy will give them that. 

They WIL NOT trade Midds unless they get blown away. If the front office believes Boggy can handle short, then Iggy is the odd man out IMO..

[/QUOTE]

Do you not understand that Buch won't be back until September.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do you not understand that Buch won't be back until September.

[/QUOTE]

Do you not understand that right now Doubront is, and has been our best pitcher and that a few weeks ago you had him in the bullpen or demoted to the minors....I understand more than you think. They WILL NOT trade good prospects for a GOOD starter. And Midds IMO is still a very good prospect. Now will they trade a couple of b level prospects for a wily old vet for the stretch....MAYBE

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Left side? How about catcher? We have one who can't throw any out and has struck out more than 100 times while only hitting 8 HRs.

When will the Saltalamacchia experiment end?

"You don't save a pitcher for tomorrow.  Tomorrow it may rain."  ~ Leo Durocher

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Left side? How about catcher? We have one who can't throw any out and has struck out more than 100 times while only hitting 8 HRs.

Well...we don't have many options with catcher right now ( Ross just coming back might help ) but at least if we bring up Midds and Boggy it'll move down in the lineup whoever is catching. They'll be hitting 8/9 instead of 6/7....right now, the bottom half of this lineup is atrocious...and can be pitched too too easily.I know....we re number one in offense etc...but come crunch time, we need to have tougher outs 1 through 9....I just think bringing those two up will light a spark under this team...let's face it, anyone who thought Iggy was a 400 hitter , or, for that matter, a 250 hitter, was high on something. He is what he is....220/240, good D shortstop...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

Well...we don't have many options with catcher right now ( Ross just coming back might help ) but at least if we bring up Midds and Boggy it'll move down in the lineup whoever is catching. They'll be hitting 8/9 instead of 6/7....right now, the bottom half of this lineup is atrocious...and can be pitched too too easily.I know....we re number one in offense etc...but come crunch time, we need to have tougher outs 1 through 9....I just think bringing those two up will light a spark under this team...let's face it, anyone who thought Iggy was a 400 hitter , or, for that matter, a 250 hitter, was high on something. He is what he is....220/240, good D shortstop...

[/QUOTE]

the reason our offense is #1 is because we have tough outs 1-9. They all grind out ABs and see a ton of pitches. That's essentially the definition of a tough out. Since the pitchers primary objective is to get outs with the least number of pitches possible.

The Red Sox have seen 16,381 pitches in 2013 which is the most in the MLB. We lead the closest AL team (the Tigers) by 965 pitches!

Among the top 100 players in P/PA this season the Red Sox have 8 players on that list. Mike Napoli (4.52 -1st), S Drew (4.17 -11th), D Nava (4.16 -12th), D Pedroia (4.09 -18th), J Salty (4.07 -19th), S Victorino (3.92 -47th), D Ortiz (3.76 -T65th), J Ellsbury (3.76 T65th).

Naturally, the Red Sox lead the league in Pitches Per PA with 4.04. You wear the starter down, do some damage and then attack the pen. You can't do that with 4 easy outs in your lineup as you claim we have. FYI 3 of those "easy outs" we have at the bottom of our lineup are in the top 20 in P/PA!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd say the "experiment" has been a success. He's a top 10 offensive catcher. He handles the staff very well. He has his highest OBP in years.

Since when is a low K rate and high CS% the top priorities for a MLB catcher?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

When can we bring up Boggy and not lose a year of service?

Sox4ever

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

So the message on this thread is that we have an URGENT need for offense.  Snd it is SO URGENT, the Sox should promote two guys with little to no track record of MLB success, and hope it works....

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So the message on this thread is that we have an URGENT need for offense.  Snd it is SO URGENT, the Sox should promote two guys with little to no track record of MLB success, and hope it works....

I get your point, but other than M Young, I haven't heard of many other options at 3B. What do you prefer?

To me, Michael Young is not a better option than Drew vs RHPs, so giving up so much for a guy who should only start 35% of the games, and who might gripe if he is benched for the other 65% is a choice I'd rather pass on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Boggy should be with the team in early August.  Hes picked up his time playing 3B and moved up to 2nd in the order.  They are trying to get him more at-bats and more play at third.....certainly sounds like they at least are considering plugging him in at third.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

One really amazing OP.  The Sox are in the middle of a pennant race thanks to the best hitting in baseball, and the proposal is to make wholesale changes because of a perceived lack of hitting.  This matches up nicely with bill-806's insistence on dumping Ortiz and at least two other threads that want to dump Ellsbury and multiple threads that want to get rid of Napoli.  In other words, dump all those guys to bring up Bradley, who has yet to hit MLB pitching, Middlebrooks, whose hitting is suspect, Bogaerts, who had never played MLB, and goodness knows who else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

One really amazing OP.  The Sox are in the middle of a pennant race thanks to the best hitting in baseball, and the proposal is to make wholesale changes because of a perceived lack of hitting.  This matches up nicely with bill-806's insistence on dumping Ortiz and at least two other threads that want to dump Ellsbury and multiple threads that want to get rid of Napoli.  In other words, dump all those guys to bring up Bradley, who has yet to hit MLB pitching, Middlebrooks, whose hitting is suspect, Bogaerts, who had never played MLB, and goodness knows who else.

people don't think before they post.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I agree with everything except Boggy.  I don't view the offense as a problem but I really think this kid can help us down the stretch.  I think the Sox think so too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

[QUOTE]

I agree with everything except Boggy.  I don't view the offense as a problem but I really think this kid can help us down the stretch.  I think the Sox think so too.

[/QUOTE]

i think they wait until that extra year is secured but i have no idea when or how that will work. I think it's much much much much different since he came as an international signing. Still don't understand Iggys contract. you make 15M over 4 years and then begin your pre-arb and arbitration years? makes 0 sense to me. makes my brain hurt just thinking about it lmao

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

International players are treated no different once they enter the big leagues' although their current contracts often overlap.  But the Sox still get the same years of control...I disagree on Xander Bogaerts.  He will see Boston this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

International players are treated no different once they enter the big leagues' although their current contracts often overlap.  But the Sox still get the same years of control...I disagree on Xander Bogaerts.  He will see Boston this year.

i think he will see boston this year but i think the sox will have their bases covered before they do so.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The bottom of the order is filled with streaky hitters. They get hot for a few weeks, then cool off for a few. The problem is a lot of fans here dont have the patience when they cool off (not saying you). Most MLB players are streaky offensively, or else there would be a lot more .300+ hitters in the league with .400OBP's. All the consistent high BA/high OBP guys are 1-4/5 and the bottom of the order usually has the more streaky hitters. This goes for every lineup. They are all tough outs regardless and see a lot of pitches.

Salty and Drew, like I said, would start to heat up again. Drew was getting hot before the hammy injury and broke out big time last night. Drew is better than his numbers show this year (offensively) and even though hes having a bad offensive year, his OPS is still above the league average for MLB SS.  Saltys offensive numbers are the highest theyve been and are also well above the averages for todays MLB catcher.

Not sure why everyone thinks we can upgreade that easily. Its not like theres a ton of high OPS SS and Catchers out there. Both will most likely be gone next year and we can see what happens. They will both heat up and provide this team a lot of offense, then when they cool off someone else hopefully picks up the slack. Maybe Middy or Bogey can help when Drew cools off and to pick up Iggys slack offensively. Ive said this before and Ill say it again. When Drew gets on a roll, he can hit anyone. Saltys no slouch either when he gets going. You can include Naps in there too. Its a rollercoaster offensively with them though. gotta take the ups with the downs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i think they wait until that extra year is secured but i have no idea when or how that will work. I think it's much much much much different since he came as an international signing. Still don't understand Iggys contract. you make 15M over 4 years and then begin your pre-arb and arbitration years? makes 0 sense to me. makes my brain hurt just thinking about it lmao

Iggy made 8M over 4 years then he goes through what every player goes through for 6 years. 3 at the minimum and 3 arb years before FA.

2010 20 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000     2011 21 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000     2012 22 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000 contracts   2013 23 Boston Red Sox $2,060,000     2013 Status Pre-Arb Eligible, Earliest Arb Eligible: 2016, Earliest Free Agent: 2019 Career to date (may be incomplete) $8,240,000  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the reason our offense is #1 is because we have tough outs 1-9. They all grind out ABs and see a ton of pitches. That's essentially the definition of a tough out. Since the pitchers primary objective is to get outs with the least number of pitches possible.

The Red Sox have seen 16,381 pitches in 2013 which is the most in the MLB. We lead the closest AL team (the Tigers) by 965 pitches!

Among the top 100 players in P/PA this season the Red Sox have 8 players on that list. Mike Napoli (4.52 -1st), S Drew (4.17 -11th), D Nava (4.16 -12th), D Pedroia (4.09 -18th), J Salty (4.07 -19th), S Victorino (3.92 -47th), D Ortiz (3.76 -T65th), J Ellsbury (3.76 T65th).

Naturally, the Red Sox lead the league in Pitches Per PA with 4.04. You wear the starter down, do some damage and then attack the pen. You can't do that with 4 easy outs in your lineup as you claim we have. FYI 3 of those "easy outs" we have at the bottom of our lineup are in the top 20 in P/PA!!

[/QUOTE]

I personally don't mind Drew at all....and I'm not just saying that because of last night. I didn't know that he was that high (11th) , but let's face it....Iggy is what we thought he was, a light hitting SS with a good glove. He will be down to 270/280 in no time if they keep him in the lineup, then from there who knows...230/240? Either Boggy or Midds will be the 3rd baseman pretty soon. That much is a fact...having ALL grinders IMO is good for the regular season, but in the playoffs, when the pitchers throw strikes and make you swing, you need a couple of free swingers in there that can put a crooked number on the board pretty quick. Middlebrooks can do that...I'll take him over Iggy any day of the week in the playoffs...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hugh...what percentage of games is Boggy playing SS as opposed to 3b ? Also...breakdown on Midds 3b , DH etc....I know you're on top of this stuff...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The bottom of the order is filled with streaky hitters. They get hot for a few weeks, then cool off for a few

Name a team with consistent bottom order hitters...

Stephen Drew is decent vs RHPs (65% of our games) and excellent as a hitting SS by comparisson vs RHPs only.

2013 .785 OPS (.784 career)

There are only 2 AL  teams with a better SS OPS than Drew vs RHPs.

Detroit  .944

TBR       .801

The AL average is .661.

Drew beats that by over 110 points.

That really narrows our offensive glaring weaknesses to two areas:

Drew vs LHPs  (3B or SS)

Salty vs LHPs  (Catcher)

These two areas may be addressed by some minor trades for platoon profile players or from within (Boggy/Middy at 3B or Lava at C) or by other players like Gomes, Victorino, Papi, Napoli and Ellsbury improving (or continuing to improve) their numbers vs LHPsa over the last 2 months.

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts