I think this season there will be a couple of trades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

Re: I think this season there will be a couple of trades

In Response to Re: I think this season there will be a couple of trades:
    The sky is falling ...
    Posted by hill55

I am not saying that the sky is falling but it sure looks bleak in 2012.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

First of all....I'm pretty sure the Sox will have a manager by the start of 2012.  Call me crazy!!! but I'm going to assume that.  I don't think not having a manager for a few more days or weeks in the middle of the offseason is going to hurt their 2012 season.  Despite the September difficulties this team is LOADED with talent that for the most part is coming back next year.

Paps wanted record money for the most overrated position in baseball.  Bard will be just as if not close to effective, and we very well may sign a top notch closer. 

As good as Ortiz is, how long do you think he can put up those numbers for?  Most scouts also feel Ryan Lavarnway (while not ready defensively) can hit at the MLB level now.....he stated his case pretty well last year too.

The money not spent on Paps and Ortiz will be spent elsewhere...if not this year then soon.  Likely and hopefully on a top tier Starter.

Look at Pedrioa/ELlsbury/You/Lester/Bard/Buccholz ++++ these all came from within and the talent never stops coming up from the minor leagues.

the sky is definitely not falling

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moonslav59, I am not trying to argue with you and I want the sox to win as much as any sox fan if not more. But I just can not understand how ignorant some of us are and just do not look at the facts. Lets get back to a few events after the last September collapse...

Yes, let's take a look...

1) manager is kicked out.

In hindsight, it was certainly the right move. He was burnt out and all but admitted it.

2) GM is kicked out.

He wanted out. He wanted more power. He got it in Chicago. He would have been gone after 2012 anyways. He hasn't done squat in 3 years (except for the AGon deal). No issue here with me... and I like Theo.

3) Their closer for more than half of the decade is gone.

As longs as we wisely spend the money saved by not outbidding Philly, I'm fine with it. I have confidence in Bard, and i hope Ben gets a couple nice set up guys for him with Paps money.

4) We can not get compensation yet for Theo.

So what? It was never going to be much anyways.

5) Do not have the replacement for manager yet. Sox interiew Sveum prior to the Cubs but Cubs take him.

I'm glad the Cubs got him. Ben must be too, or else he'd have made him an offer.

6) Maddox requests not to be considered by the Sox but goes for the interview with the Cubs.

And, your point is? I wasn't aware everyone wanted him as their guy.

7) They do not know who can close the games now.

It's November not April. There are still many closers available...good ones. We also have Bard and Aceves who both could be excellent closers... younger and much cheaper.

8) Their DH is most likely gone, no viable replacement.

Once again, it's only an issue if we don't replace his contract money. Besides, I like Lava and Youk at DH. Say we make the WS next year: where would Papi play at the NL park?

9) Phillies and Rangers have gotten better while the Sox downgraded.
    Philly had just 12 players signed for 2012. Now they have 13. You want to make a definitive judgement now? In November? Who's playing SS in Philly in 2012?
    So far, Philly has lost (or will lose) Rollins, Oswalt, Lidge, Ibanez, Madson, Baez, and more.
    Are you so sure that Papelbon is going to vastly improve on Madson's 2011 season as a Philly closer?  (60.2 IP  2.37 ERA and 1.154 WHIP)  

Texas got better?
    They will probably lose CJ Wilson, D. Oliver, B. Webb, M. Gonzalez, D. Bush, M. Treanor and "gained" Nathan... a guy who turns 38 next Novemeber and had a 4.84 ERA this year.

10)....it is just frustrating that they are in such big mess.

The whole league is in a "mess" at this point. FAs lost need to be replaced and will be. Give it time.

I honestly believe that they are treating this year as a bridge year without saying it. It may be true but the current team without the downgrades is very good, but they gave up on 2012. It cannot get any worse and the biggest losers are you, me and the fans. Again, I hope they get things in order and at least make it to the playoffs in 2012.

I am not saying that the sky is falling but it sure looks bleak in 2012.

You sound like you think the sky is falling.

I'm most concerned about our budget not increasing. If it stays even we will have to count on Lava, Bard and other kids, but I think we can rebuild to a point where we can compete with just a few smart deals or signings.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Say we make the WS next year: where would Papi play at the NL park?

2004 and 2007

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cujo99. Show cujo99's posts

In Response to Re: I think this season there will be a couple of trades:
    Moonslav59, I am not trying to argue with you and I want the sox to win as much as any sox fan if not more. But I just can not understand how ignorant some of us are and just do not look at the facts. Lets get back to a few events after the last September collapse... 1) manager is kicked out. 2) GM is kicked out. 3) Their closer for more than half of the decade is gone. 4) We can not get compensation yet for Theo. 5) Do not have the replacement for manager yet. Sox interiew Sveum prior to the Cubs but Cubs take him. 6) Maddox requests not to be considered by the Sox but goes for the interview with the Cubs. 7) They do not know who can close the games now. 8) Their DH is most likely gone, no viable replacement. 9) Phillies and Rangers have gotten better while the Sox downgraded. 10)....it is just frustrating that they are in such big mess. I honestly believe that they are treating this year as a bridge year without saying it. It may be true but the current team without the downgrades is very good, but they gave up on 2012. It cannot get any worse and the biggest losers are you, me and the fans. Again, I hope they get things in order and atleast make it to the playoffs in 2012.
    Posted by lhtak

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cujo99. Show cujo99's posts

If they are signing Bobby to run this team, there is NO WAY it is going to be a bridge year.  He would forgo the job if he didn't get the commitment to win for the upcoming season.  We need Valentine as our next manager, if nothing else, so ownership is forced to do whatever is necessary to provide him with viable talent NOW!!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

http://mynorthwest.com/374/581345/Could-Ellsbury-be-the-answer-for-the-Mariners

Hill thanks for that article find @ Northwest.com.

Moon you are the "Sage of the Red Sox Forum" thanks for a logical reply.

This is a nice link to a well thought out article about an Ells trade possibility.

I would love to think that if somehow we could include another couple of pieces we might be able to add Ichiro with his cannon in RF.

Sections
Shortcuts