I think this season there will be a couple of trades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I think this season there will be a couple of trades

I think we will see a big shakeup with our team that will be done both via through trades and maybe free agencies.  I have the feeling that the sox are not sold on ilglasies as being the permanent replacement at SS as we were thinking just a year ago and I think the Sox may use him as a trade chip as well as middlebrooks, Reddick and Co.  I would hate to see middlebrooks go but look at the LAA and Brandon Wood, they were offered a ton for him but they kept waiting and waiting and then they got nothing.  I would hate to see Middlebrooks go but if he can bring something already proven in return why not.  I don't look for nothing to happen until a manger is hired, and it will be before the winter meetings.  Then I look for some big changes.  I look for new blood brought in and some older player's gone.  I think at best Big PapI has a 40% chance or less to return if he not willing to accept a one year deal between 6-8 million.  Next year's staff, 2013, will already have Lacky coming back so we will need at least one shorterm starter.  Lackey maybe woth it after TJ surgery.  I think Youk is on the bubble, I would love to see him become the fulltime DH but we may need to clear payroll for someone else.  WE have the nuculas but upper management was hummiliated by the september meltdown.  Be patient heads are going to roll.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: I think this season there will be a couple of trades

If Middlebrooks is available--I would say look at him going to the Marlins or perhaps to the Cubs as part of a deal for a pitcher.

Iggy, I could see him going to the Padres for perhaps Bartlett then swinging Scutaro to Philly if they lose Rollins or to the Mets if they lose Reyes.

I would like to see the Sox make a deal for Hanley and position him at third for the next few years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I question the trade value of 23-year-old Will Middlebrooks.

In 2011, Middlebrooks posted a .285/.328/.506/.834 line across High A, Double A and Triple A, but struck out 114 times against only 26 walks in 472 plate appearances. The strikeouts, however, were down from the 123 and 121 strikeouts in the two previous seasons at lower levels.

In 1,606 career minor league plate appearances, Middlebrooks has posted a .272/.330/.440/.770 line with 431 strikeouts and 121 walks. I worry that Middlebrooks’ struggles in 16 games at Triple A in 2011 will only magnify at the MLB level.

Middlebrooks reminds of Alex Liddi of my Seattle Mariners. Middlebrooks and Liddi are 6-foot-4 righthand-hitting thirdbasemen* who were born only weeks apart (although separated by the Atlantic Ocean and then some).

In 2,951 career minor league plate appearances, Liddi has posted a .277/.344/.465/.809 line with 731 strikeouts and 255 walks.

I hope Middlebrooks and Liddi have fruitful MLB careers, but I question whether either will be a significant MLB contributor.

* Middlebrooks and Liddi were the opposing starting thirdbasemen in this year's Futures Game

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

In Response to Re: I think this season there will be a couple of trades:
    [QUOTE]If Middlebrooks is available--I would say look at him going to the Marlins or perhaps to the Cubs as part of a deal for a pitcher. Iggy, I could see him going to the Padres for perhaps Bartlett then swinging Scutaro to Philly if they lose Rollins or to the Mets if they lose Reyes. I would like to see the Sox make a deal for Hanley and position him at third for the next few years.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

why is everyone high on Hanley, the guy is lazy and cocky.  I would rather have Youk at 3B.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Colorado Rockies have traded utility player Ty Wigginton to the Philadelphia Philies for a player to be named.

The Red Sox may need a Wigginton-type player if Kevin Youkilis moves to DH (although the respective first arbitration salaries of infielders Jed Lowrie and Mike Aviles should be lower than the $4.5 million owed Wigginton).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero. Show bosoxhero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think this season there will be a couple of trades : why is everyone high on Hanley, the guy is lazy and cocky.  I would rather have Youk at 3B.
    Posted by jh13[/QUOTE]
    You don't think a chance to play for a World Series contender would be enough incentive to play hard and play well.Plus we know what he can do.i look at him as a younger version of Alex Rodriguez.He can run better than Youkilis.He can field as good i am sure.I think he would provide as much power numbers.And i don't think injuries count because everybody has injuries during their career.People say a guy is injury prone.But i say everybody during their will have to sit unless you are Cal Ripken.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

I don't see a major trade being made. IMO the Sox don't have anything of value unless they offer Ellsbury, which given the year he had would have trouble selling it to fan base.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I do think a trade for a good 4th starter can be found, but I think we find a cheap RH'd RF'er and 5th starter(s) via free agency.

If Papi walks, I think Lava DHs most of the year, and Youk the rest. An Aviles/Lowrie platoon fills the gap at 3B while Youk Dhs and until Middlebrooks is ready (if ever).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jh13. Show jh13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think this season there will be a couple of trades : You don't think a chance to play for a World Series contender would be enough incentive to play hard and play well.Plus we know what he can do.i look at him as a younger version of Alex Rodriguez.He can run better than Youkilis.He can field as good i am sure.I think he would provide as much power numbers.And i don't think injuries count because everybody has injuries during their career.People say a guy is injury prone.But i say everybody during their will have to sit unless you are Cal Ripken.
    Posted by bosoxhero[/QUOTE]

lol....being motivated by playing for a WS contender.  and you can't call the Sox a WS contender till they can make the playoffs.  The only thing that motivates that guy is money...plain and simple.  And once he gets it, he's content.  If you want an apt comparison to Hanley, try looking at Haynesworth and not Rodriguez. 

The idea that a guy who has never played a position before can field as good as someone who does it consistently is absurd especially when you consider his work ethic.  The guy isn't even considered to be a good fielding SS.  If the Sox put Hanley at 3B, they had better keep Iggy since they'll need his range to cover both the SS and 3B side. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think this season there will be a couple of trades : why is everyone high on Hanley, the guy is lazy and cocky.  I would rather have Youk at 3B.
    Posted by jh13[/QUOTE]

And he didn't have all that great a year last season. At least Manny hit while he was lazy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Posted by jh13[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

That's the game you play with young talent.  Yes you can hold on to them too long and end up with very little in return, but you its unfair to judge that in hindsight because the opposite also holds true.  Look at the likes of Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedrioa, Jon Lester, Daniel Bard, and Kevin Youkilis.  Not only have all these players contributed vastly to the success of the team but they have done it at a fraction of the cost as their stats would cost on the open market.

When you are developing talent, you have to go through some busts. I guarantee appx half of the Sox top ten Prospects will have little to no impact with the Sox or any MLB team. But I'd also bet their is a future star who is unheard of right now in the Sox organization.

I'm all for making trades if it helps the organization, but I don't believe in the "sell the farm now and win now" mentality either.

I'm sure it doesn't look great for Iglesias offensive future, but I also can guarantee the talent evaluators within the Sox F.O. probably have better insight into his future than we do.....let's just hope they get it right (more often than not.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think this season there will be a couple of trades : lol....being motivated by playing for a WS contender.  and you can't call the Sox a WS contender till they can make the playoffs.  The only thing that motivates that guy is money...plain and simple.  And once he gets it, he's content.  If you want an apt comparison to Hanley, try looking at Haynesworth and not Rodriguez.  The idea that a guy who has never played a position before can field as good as someone who does it consistently is absurd especially when you consider his work ethic.  The guy isn't even considered to be a good fielding SS.  If the Sox put Hanley at 3B, they had better keep Iggy since they'll need his range to cover both the SS and 3B side. 
    Posted by jh13[/QUOTE]

I would guess HanRam would be better than average at 3B. He's still pretty quick. I'm not saying we should get him, but I'd bet he's a better fielder than Youk at third.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think this season there will be a couple of trades : I would guess HanRam would be better than average at 3B. He's still pretty quick. I'm not saying we should get him, but I'd bet he's a better fielder than Youk at third.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with you.  Youkilis wasn't very good at 3rd base last year.  Although his injury probably had something to do with it.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Red Sox need to be aggressive in trade market, not FA market. Inepstein didn't have a clue on how to sell high and buy low in trade market.

Middlebrooks should not be traded.

Ellsbury should be on the active trade block, along with Lowrie.

Red Sox need a solid RH young OF bat.

Now that Kemp has been extended, Red Sox Cherry most certainly never made any serious trade offer (not required that player be on the official market to make blockbuster offers), Red Sox need to offer Marlins:

Ellsbury (2 years 14 to 16M + likely 1 or 2 draft picks after 2 years if FA depart)
    + 2 from Lowrie and anyone on farm but Middlebrooks, Kalish, Ranaudo, Iglesias, Lavarnway, Barnes, Jacobs, Wilson and Bradley

for

Hanley (move to LF)
    Anibel Sanchez
    Marlins 2nd tier farm ranked prospect (Marlins exclude 3 farm pitcher prospects) 

If the Reds don't offer Hernandez arbitration (dubious) Red Sox need to have an offer on the table for one year and 3 to 4M plus option 2 @ 3 to 4M buyout 2M. If offered arbitration, Red Sox need to go with Salty and Lavarnway for the entire season.

3 or 4 1 to 2M MLB and minor league offers need to be early on table for veteran FA pitchers. Wang, Bedard, Duchsherer (minor league), Frances, Harden, Garcia, Oswalt, Webb

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

[QUOTE]I do think a trade for a good 4th starter can be found, but I think we find a cheap RH'd RF'er and 5th starter(s) via free agency. If Papi walks, I think Lava DHs most of the year, and Youk the rest. An Aviles/Lowrie platoon fills the gap at 3B while Youk Dhs and until Middlebrooks is ready (if ever).
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. I would not over look Miller/Bowden given an few months try at 4th starter role. If it doesn't work out for them, trade for best arm on the market prior to trade deadling. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Sox can't trade Barnes and Bradely if they wanted too.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Yes they can, as PTBL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Be patient heads are going to roll. --- bigdog 
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for that. I'm sure Red Sox fans are just waiting for more "heads to roll."                           

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

WHen has a PTBN later ever been a player that couldn't be traded for another 9 months???? and isn't there a time limit into how much later they can be named? I think so.

Anyone drafted this year canno't be traded until next year, even as a PTBNL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

1 year on draft picks being able to be traded and 6 months for a PTBNL to be traded.  The earliest this trade could be possibly in January 6th....still I think your living in fantasy baseball land. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I still think the Astros match up best with us. They have two high priced pitchers (Wandy Rodriguez & Brett Myers) and would take longer term prospects in return since they aren't going to compete for at least 2 years.

I like Wandy a lot, but he will be costly. Myers would be a good 5 starter and probably could be had for very cheap since his salary is way higher than it should be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

December 6th excuse.  Still I'm pretty high On Raunado....remember this kid was considered the best pitcher in college at one point, his stock fell due to injury but he as looked like the prospect he was supposed to be last year in the summer league and in single A.  

Offense is not the problem, pitching is....we need pitching. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

[QUOTE]If Middlebrooks is available--I would say look at him going to the Marlins or perhaps to the Cubs as part of a deal for a pitcher. Iggy, I could see him going to the Padres for perhaps Bartlett then swinging Scutaro to Philly if they lose Rollins or to the Mets if they lose Reyes. I would like to see the Sox make a deal for Hanley and position him at third for the next few years.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Hanley is upset moving to third for the Marlins, why would he do it for the Sox ? Hanley is the exact type of guy we need to stay away from.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I think this season there will be a couple of trades : Hanley is upset moving to third for the Marlins, why would he do it for the Sox ? Hanley is the exact type of guy we need to stay away from.
    Posted by Sully1965[/QUOTE]

Hanley is not the manager. He plays where he's told to play. If he pouts, he'll only hurt his chances at a last big payday after this one runs out.