I think we probably all agree......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I think we probably all agree......

....that tonight's game is crucial. With the inconsistency--so far--of Peavy, and the questions about Buchholz, I would feel a bit edgy going to St. Louis tied 1-1. The Sox need to school this Wacha kid in the ways of the Fens, and lock this thing down. I think tonight's game will be closer, but I still feel strongly that the Sox can and will win. If not, its not beyond the realm of possibility that the Cardinals could reel off three in a row. Im not saying that will happen, but its possible. Head it off with a win at home, and keep the pressure on.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: I think we probably all agree......

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

....that tonight's game is crucial. With the inconsistency--so far--of Peavy, and the questions about Buchholz, I would feel a bit edgy going to St. Louis tied 1-1. The Sox need to school this Wacha kid in the ways of the Fens, and lock this thing down. I think tonight's game will be closer, but I still feel strongly that the Sox can and will win. If not, its not beyond the realm of possibility that the Cardinals could reel off three in a row. Im not saying that will happen, but its possible. Head it off with a win at home, and keep the pressure on.

i agree Exam, but imo a split is definitely the lesser evil and something the Sox could live with...of course, it's slam dunk that you'd rather have two..Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'll go a step futher and say that every game is crucial.  In a 7 game series, every loss is 33% of the maximum you are allowed. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Well, I agree, yes.  But only because its the World Series.  They are all crucial.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

i agree Exam, but imo a split is definitely the lesser evil and something the Sox could live with...of course, it's slam dunk that you'd rather have two..Wink

Agree jete, but this is a little different because of the PV/Buch questions. If not for that, I wouldnt make as big a deal over it. They may both pitch well and make it a non issue.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Agree jete, but this is a little different because of the PV/Buch questions. If not for that, I wouldnt make as big a deal over it. They may both pitch well and make it a non issue.

Here is why I don't consider it crucial in the way you are suggesting.  Yes, the Red Sox pitching gets signifcantly more inconsistent after Lackey (with buchholz shot).  But, that is the nature of most rotations besides the mighty Tigers.  Kelly and Lynn don't exactly have anyone quaking in their boots either.  Games three and four, whoever pitches, won;t be lop-sided matchups in favor of Cardinals.  They are pretty even.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

you will see farrell manage this like a game 7......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Yeah, 2-0 is better than 1-1.

But 1-1 is not the end of the world.  They were in deeper trouble with 1-1 in the Tigers series with Verlander to pitch 3rd game, 7th if needed, and Scherzer for 6th.

I don't think the Cards have two pitchers of the Verlander and Scherzer caliber to pitch 3 out of the last 5 games should it be 1-1.

Beauty of a 7 game series.  Room for mistakes, and still make up for lost ground.  Reminds me of the 04 and 07 ALCS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

And a win tonight guarantees the series to at least come back to Fenway.

We need to win G2 and G5....then we give ourselves 2 chances to win 1 game in Fenway with Lackey starting one of those........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

you will see farrell manage this like a game 7......

agreed

you won't see dempster in a 20 run lead.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

And a win tonight guarantees the series to at least come back to Fenway.

We need to win G2 and G5....then we give ourselves 2 chances to win 1 game in Fenway with Lackey starting one of those........

I think the series ends in St Louis, like in 04.  Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Here is why I don't consider it crucial in the way you are suggesting.  Yes, the Red Sox pitching gets signifcantly more inconsistent after Lackey (with buchholz shot).  But, that is the nature of most rotations besides the mighty Tigers.  Kelly and Lynn don't exactly have anyone quaking in their boots either.  Games three and four, whoever pitches, won;t be lop-sided matchups in favor of Cardinals.  They are pretty even.  

Yeah, I dont disagree with that Space. Theres a dropoff in their rotation too. I think it will all work out, but lets win gm 2 just to be safe!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

Yeah, I dont disagree with that Space. Theres a dropoff in their rotation too. I think it will all work out, but lets win gm 2 just to be safe!

That I think we can probably all agree on  Cool

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

With the news all over LEster accusing for cheating is now going to movtivate the Red Sox team even more tonite!!  Especially the Cardinals may be without their best hitter, Beltran!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

With the news all over LEster accusing for cheating is now going to movtivate the Red Sox team even more tonite!!  Especially the Cardinals may be without their best hitter, Beltran!!

Right. Like Buchholz was cheating in Toronto this summer. This is just as silly, and youre right, will tend to motivate Boston even more. Bring it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

No, Ex, I don't agree.  Every game is crucial, including game 1.  The Sox went to Detroit at 1-1 and facing Verlander in game 3.  They got blitzed in game 1 and darn near in game 2. 

So right now, as far as I am concerned, the Sox are in tall cotton.  They can still win tonight, and Verlander ain't pitching in game 3.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

Right. Like Buchholz was cheating in Toronto this summer. This is just as silly, and youre right, will tend to motivate Boston even more. Bring it.

Nothing unites and motivates a group of people faster than having a common enemy.   The St. Louis press has now accused one of their (The Sox) own of being a cheater, and I don't expect the other 24 members of our team are going to take that lightly. 

I now look for a renewed focus and motivation from this team.  This thing may be over in four.... now. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

There is no such thing as a playoff game that is not crucial.

Just ask anyone who remembers the 2004 ALCS.

Even if you are up 3-0 in the series , failure to put a team away can be a mistake.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

There is no such thing as a playoff game that is not crucial.

Just ask anyone who remembers the 2004 ALCS.

Even if you are up 3-0 in the series , failure to put a team away can be a mistake.

Yup - just ask Mike Mussina, Kenny Lofton, and Tom Gordon!!!!!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

At this point the most important game of the season is the next one...so yes the most important game is tonight

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

What to reasonable expect tonight ( of course it is a big game):

1 Fenway momentum

2 17-18 outs from Lackey and team runs support, plus 4 outs from Koji if game is close

3  Reality  check for young Walla Walla

4  lefties pounding the monster. The Notion that Papi s slump might be over

5 a more challenging Cards team, not a cakewalk

6 in short series "anything goes"

7 the magnitude of this game is inmense, not only because of Buck, but mainly, 3 next games without DH

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

What to reasonable expect tonight ( of course it is a big game):

1 Fenway momentum

2 17-18 outs from Lackey and team runs support, plus 4 outs from Koji if game is close

3  Reality  check for young Walla Walla

4  lefties pounding the monster. The Notion that Papi s slump might be over

5 a more challenging Cards team, not a cakewalk

6 in short series "anything goes"

7 the magnitude of this game is inmense, not only because of Buck, but mainly, 3 next games without DH

I think it comes down to having a good game plan that is flexible and then staying the course of that plan

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think, at this point, it is more like every pitch is important.  You have to treat every AB as if this is this might be your last chance at a WS ring.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I think, at this point, it is more like every pitch is important.  You have to treat every AB as if this is this might be your last chance at a WS ring.

Which seems to me how the Sox have treated every at-bat since April,

Sections
Shortcuts