2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: I thought Bob Ryan retired

listening to him try and talk is tough

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to jackbu's comment:

I used to love him and I can remember the exact moment I thought he was crazy.  I was just about to enter the sumner tunnel and he called the Red Sox farm system bankrupt. I think it was 1988 when we had Brady Anderson and soon to get Jeff Bagwell. Since then I never pay attention.

That is a silly comment to hold over him for nearly a quarter century.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

I used to love him and I can remember the exact moment I thought he was crazy.  I was just about to enter the sumner tunnel and he called the Red Sox farm system bankrupt. I think it was 1988 when we had Brady Anderson and soon to get Jeff Bagwell. Since then I never pay attention.

I can see where you might think this from the limited post.  That was when I realized he was out of touch and as they say, mailing in his columms.  I have listened to him since but still thought he was out of touch and did not put much stock in what he said.

WEAK. Especially since he had just then moved from the NBA/Celtics reporter to columnist. Ryan is probably the most knowledgable of a variety of sports and topics as any columnist in the country. To me, he was the Globe's best columnist of the past 30 years after Leigh Montville.

And for the record, the Sox farm system had a couple of decent around 1988 but it was weak at the time. Bagwell wasn't drafted until 1989 and he went in the fourth round, so he was hardly some hot-shot 1st-round prosect. And Anderson never impressed me back then or ever except for his PED-induced season.

Go back and look at the 1988 Sox minor league teams -- horrible  overall except for Schilling and a couple of others. Looking back, the system was probably more bankrupt than he thought as there were a couple of players (Pat Dodson) who appeared to be decent prospects but were busts.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

I can see where you might think this from the limited post.  That was when I realized he was out of touch and as they say, mailing in his columms.  I have listened to him since but still thought he was out of touch and did not put much stock in what he said.

WEAK. Especially since he had just then moved from the NBA/Celtics reporter to columnist. Ryan is probably the most knowledgable of a variety of sports and topics as any columnist in the country. To me, he was the Globe's best columnist of the past 30 years after Leigh Montville.

And for the record, the Sox farm system had a couple of decent around 1988 but it was weak at the time. Bagwell wasn't drafted until 1989 and he went in the fourth round, so he was hardly some hot-shot 1st-round prosect. And Anderson never impressed me back then or ever except for his PED-induced season.

Go back and look at the 1988 Sox minor league teams -- horrible  overall except for Schilling and a couple of others. Looking back, the system was probably more bankrupt than he thought as there were a couple of players (Pat Dodson) who appeared to be decent prospects but were busts.

Ryan is what a lot of aspiring columnists would like to be.

A very gifted creative writer who also in possesstion of a great sense of humor both in print and in person.

You might not agree with some of his postions but he is undeniably one of the best in the entire country today.

It is possible that after his son commited suicide a few years ago he has eased his work load.

No one even close to Ryan in the NY media. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

In response to royf19's comment:

Ryan is what a lot of aspiring columnists would like to be.

A very gifted creative writer who also in possesstion of a great sense of humor both in print and in person.

You might not agree with some of his postions but he is undeniably one of the best in the entire country today.

It is possible that after his son commited suicide a few years ago he has eased his work load.

No one even close to Ryan in the NY media. 

Didnt know that...Wow, I feel for him. No wonder I havent seen a lot of him. Poor guy. I couldnt imagine the pain if my son did that.

12. This post has been removed.