i vote for brian mccann

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxyjim. Show soxyjim's posts

i vote for brian mccann

i was raised in oswego with his mom and dad.his dad howie and i played football

and softball together.mt kids went to howies baseball camps that brian and his

dad ran.brian will be great in the sox clubhouse not to mention he is a gammer

with loads of talent.this player is a cut above.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattc355. Show mattc355's posts

Re: i vote for brian mccann

I would like to sign a new catcher so I'm with you.  I'm concerned about letting Ellsbury go though.  He is a primary part of our batting order, and would be my first priority in free agency.  His flakiness and durability issues are there, but Buchholz is worse on that front.  I don't like letting him walk.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We do have advantages over other team pursuing his service.  McCann is close friend is Ross and McCann always respected the organization and loved the fan base according to his agent.  It's up to Ben to choose between McCann and Salty.  On the other hand, I see Pierzynski being the dark horse for the Sox for 2 yr deal until Vasquez or Swihart comes up to big league.  Always fun to follow offseason.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KRomine. Show KRomine's posts

"Gammer"?...Is that like "Choker"?

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to KRomine's comment:

no, its "chocker" :P

Brian McCann will be paid like Molina and he seems to be trending downward offensively, injuries over the last couple years, with one of them being a shoulder/labrum. He was already pretty pedestrian throwing runners out. 1% better than Salty. You really want to even go near 6/90-100M with this guy? Sorry, let the Rangers overspend. Although I probably would bet the first 2 years should be Ok, the last 3-4 will be bad.

But if I had to choose between BM and JS, Id choose Salty. His numbers are trending up, hes younger and wont cost a stupid amount of $$ like McCann. Some here whine and cry about cs%, but they want McCann? Hes right in line with Salty defensively. Thats a fact, like it or not. Hes been better then Salty offensively over his career, but Salty has looked better the last couple years in that department. Salty is clearly the better deal.

All this Salty and McCann talk is wasted time If the Sox think that Vasquez and/or Swihart are their guys in another year or 2. They will just find a stopgap like Ruiz, Suzuki or someone like that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to KRomine's comment:

no, its "chocker" :P

Brian McCann will be paid like Molina and he seems to be trending downward offensively, injuries over the last couple years, with one of them being a shoulder/labrum. He was already pretty pedestrian throwing runners out. 1% better than Salty. You really want to even go near 6/90-100M with this guy? Sorry, let the Rangers overspend. Although I probably would bet the first 2 years should be Ok, the last 3-4 will be bad.

But if I had to choose between BM and JS, Id choose Salty. His numbers are trending up, hes younger and wont cost a stupid amount of $$ like McCann. Some here whine and cry about cs%, but they want McCann? Hes right in line with Salty defensively. Thats a fact, like it or not. Hes been better then Salty offensively over his career, but Salty has looked better the last couple years in that department. Salty is clearly the better deal.

All this Salty and McCann talk is wasted time If the Sox think that Vasquez and/or Swihart are their guys in another year or 2. They will just find a stopgap like Ruiz, Suzuki or someone like that.

He's a good fit for the Yankees.

They can continue the tradition of huge contracts, with dimminishing returns, with Cano and McCann.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Is Brian McCann worth a six-year, $90 million contract, as Seattle Mariner blogger Dave Cameron suggests?

http://www.ussmariner.com/2013/11/05/daves-2014-off-season-plan/

Cameron, in a FanGraphs column, ranks McCann as the top bargain of the 2014 free agent class:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-bargains-of-the-2014-free-agent-class/

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

McCann is not any better than Salty on defense.

His downward offensive trend could be injury-related, so I cut him some slack there, but Salty has been improving in all areas, except throwing, and he should cost about half to 60% of what McCann will cost, and maybe for less length. With so many fine catching prospects on the rise, I don't see blocking them with a long term deal McCann is certainly seeking.

Please, don't tell me McCann can be a plus 1Bman or DH at the tail end of his deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

McCann has already started to decline and will certainly not have the power numbers he has had in the past when he plays 81 games in Fenway which has a much deeper right field fence.

His current decline has to be considered before giving him big money over several years.

I say "NO" to McCann for 2014 at the price he will likely cost.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Please, don't tell me McCann can be a plus 1Bman or DH at the tail end of his deal.

Lol...yeah, I was thinking this, too. I keep seeing "He can DH when Papi leaves!" as if that's some kind of a selling point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

The obvious thing to do here is to resign Salty and see if Ross can play a bit more so Salty doesn't get worn down. 
    McCann is going to be more expensive and if I'm not mistaken signing him would require giving up a draft pick. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

No to McCann.  Let a team like the Yankees or Rangers overpay for him.   McCann is going to get around a 5-year, $80 million deal (good for him BTW) but I would prefer Salty over McCann. 

But Salty really needs to change his hair gel.  It looks way too greasy.   LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to soxyjim's comment:

i was raised in oswego with his mom and dad.his dad howie and i played football

and softball together.mt kids went to howies baseball camps that brian and his

dad ran.brian will be great in the sox clubhouse not to mention he is a gammer

with loads of talent.this player is a cut above.

Its hard to get on board with McCann-or anybody else for that matter-until we find out what he will cost. You don't go out and buy a car that way, by saying that you would like that great new BMW without knowing what its going to cost you, do you? If it costs too much, I would opt for a
    less expensive model. Salty won't cost as much, but won't be as flashy-and the money the team saved in that deal could be used to fill our other holes-3B/SS, 1B, and CF.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

No to McCann.  Let a team like the Yankees or Rangers overpay for him.   McCann is going to get around a 5-year, $80 million deal (good for him BTW) but I would prefer Salty over McCann. 

Salty is very very thin up top IC. If he resigns here, he will be bald before the contract is up. Unless he pulls off the best combover :)

Salty went as far to basically say he would give them a "hometown discount". I bet we could get him for less than 10M per since he said that. Salty at 9M per for 4 years is an extremely good deal.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

They can continue the tradition of huge contracts, with dimminishing returns, with Cano and McCann.

which team has sign more huge bad contracts in the last 3 yrs

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Which team STILL has them?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Sox will not give a long term big money contract to an aging catcher like McCann.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

If  the Yankees are stuck with Arod's contract and they give Cano what he wants they will be miles beyond the 189 mil dollar threshold, that would relegate them to second tier signings only. I expect the Rangers to be the biggest McCann chaser,McAdams suggests if the Sox don't re-sign Salty that they should persue Pierzynski where as I think the second target should be Ruiz in either case they both are short term solutions until Vazquez or Swihart are ready.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Moving the goalposts is an informal logical fallacy in which previously agreed upon standards for deciding an argument are arbitrarily changed once they have been met. This is usually done by the "losing" side of an argument in a desperate bid to save face.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Moving_the_goalposts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

isnt there a Molina available?

not interested in overpaying for Mccann.  would happily give salty 3 years at 9MM per. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Salty is very very thin up top IC. If he resigns here, he will be bald before the contract is up. Unless he pulls off the best combover :)

Salty went as far to basically say he would give them a "hometown discount". I bet we could get him for less than 10M per since he said that. Salty at 9M per for 4 years is an extremely good deal

....AKA The Trump Tongue Out

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Moving the goalposts is an informal logical fallacy in which previously agreed upon standards for deciding an argument are arbitrarily changed once they have been met. This is usually done by the "losing" side of an argument in a desperate bid to save face.

LOL

You want to talk about bad contracts, but you don't want hear about which team is being hurt by them and which isn't?

The Red sox made some poor signings, no doubt.

But, they weren't so bad that another team wasn't wiling to take them on, when provided with the right incentives.

Let me know when the Yankees are able to do that.

Seeing as you're so fond of pics...

http://dipettamortgage.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/head_in_the_sand-461x307.jpg

How about we go back the last 4 or 5 years since were spitting out random number of years to go back in this back and forth with you and zac. Truth is, BOTH teams gave some ridiculous deals and both have paid from it recently. They key is, have they both learned from it?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

LOL

You want to talk about bad contracts, but you don't want hear about which team is being hurt by them and which isn't?

The Red sox made some poor signings, no doubt.

But, they weren't so bad that another team wasn't wiling to take them on, when provided with the right incentives.

Let me know when the Yankees are able to do that.

you opened the convertsation saying it was a nyy traddition

my point was they haven't in the last few yrs and the sox have

so who really has the tradition

at least the yanks were able to win with those contracts

Sections
Shortcuts