Ichiro

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Re: Ichiro

In Response to Re: Ichiro:
    In Response to Re: Ichiro : Oh Lloyd.  I thought you were an 80s encylopedia.  That is, of course, the cover of Ladies Love Cool James debut album Radio.  Rick rubin at his chintzy drum machine programming finest and LL just ripping it with tracks like Radio, Rock the Bells and the finest slow jam of the ear I Need Love.  You really must get this in your collection. ... and its not a dashboard, its a BOOM BOX.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus
    hey Space,my bad..didn't see your post..thanks..Edit..deleted my response

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Ichiro : Ichiro is a first ballot Hall of Famer. Scott Posednick is a first ballot ham and egger. Nothing surprising or ironic about it.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Ichiro is a nice pick up for the Yankees.

But, I'm not sure what your beef against Podsednik is.  Is it that he doesn't carry the superstar name that Ichiro does?   Podsednik has contributed more to the Red Sox thus far, in about the same number of games played, than Ichiro has to the Yankees.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In Response to Re: Ichiro : Ichiro is a nice pick up for the Yankees. But, I'm not sure what your beef against Podsednik is.  Is it that he doesn't carry the superstar name that Ichiro does?   Podsednik has contributed more to the Red Sox thus far, in about the same number of games played, than Ichiro has to the Yankees.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

I don't have a problem with Posednik. But he is not nearly in the same class as Ichiro. My point is that N.Y. is making the better moves. We are not keeping pace.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Ichiro : Oh Lloyd.  I thought you were an 80s encylopedia.  That is, of course, the cover of Ladys Love Coll James debut album Radio.  Rick rubin at his chintzy drum machine programming finest and LL just ripping it with tracks like Radio, Rock the Bells and the finest slow jam of the ear I Need Love.  You really must get this in your collection. ... and its not a dashboard, its a BOOM BOX.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Ichiro : Ichiro is a nice pick up for the Yankees. But, I'm not sure what your beef against Podsednik is.  Is it that he doesn't carry the superstar name that Ichiro does?   Podsednik has contributed more to the Red Sox thus far, in about the same number of games played, than Ichiro has to the Yankees.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi
    well i don't know about that Kimmi.(not that it's  really a big deal), but what i do know is while not on the 200 hits a year for several years scale,Scott Podsednik has been a pretty good player for a long time 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Ichiro : I don't have a problem with Posednik. But he is not nearly in the same class as Ichiro. My point is that N.Y. is making the better moves. We are not keeping pace.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Over the course of their careers, of course Pods is nowhere near in the same class as Ichiro.  But, for what they have contributed to their respective teams so far, Pods is actually better.  So in terms of comparing Ichiro vs Pods, I don't think you can say that Ben missed the boat.  How much Ichiro continues to help the Yankees remains to be seen.

We are not keeping pace with the Yankees because we have far more problems than that Yankees have to overcome.  Something that was not going to be fixed by picking up Lowe or Ichiro.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In Response to Re: Ichiro : I don't have a problem with Posednik. But he is not nearly in the same class as Ichiro. My point is that N.Y. is making the better moves. We are not keeping pace.
    Posted by dgalehouse

...and I posted to that earlier and you didn't respond. Until someone in upper management takes control and changes the way the team is run, you can expect more of the same.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Ichiro : well i don't know about that Kimmi.(not that it's  really a big deal), but what i do know is while not on the 200 hits a year for several years scale,Scott Podsednik has been a pretty good player for a long time 
    Posted by jete02fan

Well Jete, in terms of WAR, Ichiro is .2 in 26 games played with the Yankees, and Pods is .7 in 28 games played with the Red Sox.

Pods is a good ballplayer, in his own right, but he is not in Ichiro's class in terms of their careers.  I would never try to suggest that.  I'm just trying to argue the point that Ben somehow really missed out by not signing Ichiro.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Ichiro : You think so? I dont at all. Yanks didn't play with the excuse of injuries, they just played hard and better baseball.
    Posted by bobbysu

I do think that our injuries were more to overcome than theirs (but I do give them kudos for overcoming them).  That aside, I wasn't referring to just injuries when I said that we had more to overcome.  From underperformances, to media leaks, to lack of communication, to overall dysfunction.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Ichiro : Well Jete, in terms of WAR, Ichiro is .2 in 26 games played with the Yankees, and Pods is .7 in 28 games played with the Red Sox. Pods is a good ballplayer, in his own right, but he is not in Ichiro's class in terms of their careers.  I would never try to suggest that.  I'm just trying to argue the point that Ben somehow really missed out by not signing Ichiro.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi
    Kimmi, i know you're not suggesting that, imo that wouldn't be fair to Pods, though he broke in 3 years younger than Ichiro, he was probably far less seasoned than Ichiro, regardless of that, i agree on Podsednik..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I suspect Ichiro could have been a 25-a-year home run guy all along, but he focused on getting 200-plus hits and stealing bases as a true lead-off guy. It was a matter of being a decent home run hitter or a terrific average guy. Plus, yes, there's the short porch in right.
    Posted by LloydDobler

You are probably right, Lloyd. The operative words here are could have. These days many would agree that he's not considered a power hitter. In my OP I was just spouting off. Not trying to run Ichro down. He has always been a great talent and is certainly a future Hall of Famer. No disrespect intended.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Ichiro : You are probably right, Lloyd. The operative words here are could have. These days many would agree that he's not considered a power hitter. In my OP I was just spouting off. Not trying to run Ichro down. He has always been a great talent and is certainly a future Hall of Famer. No disrespect intended.
    Posted by antibody

Oh no, I didn't take it that way at all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

I'm pretty sure Ichiro could turn on the HR swing in BP the way Boggs used to.  And, this is just a guess, but w/ the Yankees having a philosophy based on the longball they probably told him it was their hope that he'd clock some balls over that wall.  Not really a surprise.  I was at the game Fri night and even though we lost, it was fun to see all the HRs (particularly Dusty's) and to have bought my daughter (supposedly a NYY fan) an Ichiro t-shirt.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I'm pretty sure Ichiro could turn on the HR swing in BP the way Boggs used to.  And, this is just a guess, but w/ the Yankees having a philosophy based on the longball they probably told him it was their hope that he'd clock some balls over that wall.  Not really a surprise.  I was at the game Fri night and even though we lost, it was fun to see all the HRs (particularly Dusty's) and to have bought my daughter (supposedly a NYY fan) an Ichiro t-shirt.
    Posted by CTJake14

That's very likely true. In my case, I guess I'm feeding into the perception of him being a weak hitter. It's more than probable that the deficiancy here is mine and not Ichiro's. Nice to hear that you took your daughter to the game. Hope she enjoys her new shirt.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

This forum may be the only place on earth where there's someone who says Pods (a nice little player) is better than Ichiro.

And if Ichiro, or any Yankee for that matter, hit a 500 foot homer off the facing of the third deck, we'd read here it was the short porch that did it.

Sections
Shortcuts