Ideal Time for Betts

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: Ideal Time for Betts

In response to ampoule's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Rome's burning guys andJBJ hasn't cut it--he can't hit, he can't bunt and he doesn't know how to steal bases.

It's like the kid's getting a free ride--he needs to go back to the basics. MAKE HIM EARN HIS SPOT IN THE MAJORS OR CUT YOUR LOSES.

You mean to tell me there is no outfielder in the Red Sox System that can play the outfield, hit, bunt, steal bases?

There is a guy playing out of position at 3 B that can play the OF-Xander--show us what you got Baby Jeter. Start by not being so predictable at the plate like Nap and JBJ---occasionally swing at first pitches instead of getting down in the counts at 0-1, 0-2, etc. Yes, I understand Ortiz hit a 2-2 count for a HR and Nap hit a 1-2 count for a HR---good pitchers beat good hitters on those counts.

We have a plethora of infielders in the system and apparently NO OUTFIELDERS: who ever heard of such a thing--we might have to make one. Xander is the guy. He's a baby version of Stanton. He will be Stanton in two years. Move him to the OF now---he's had 9 errors between short and third. Herrera, Cecchini, WMB, Ryan Roberts in AAA.

There is no such thing as a system without holes.  I think you are right though, we will have to make one.  The Sox love up the middle infielders because of their versatility and ability to move off position.  You never hear about 1B, or LF moving to SS 2nd, but you do here about it the other way around.

People in the Sox system who are close to the majors who could become outfielders: Betts/Cecchini.  We have some good outfielders in the system but they are too far away to realistically help this team or even have a high level of certainty that they are MLBers.  But I think Betts will be in Boston soon, and I also think we will trade for an outfield bat as well.  I'm not an advocate of moving Bogaerts to LF but if we did we could trade for Stanton and sign HanRam in the off season.  Again, I'm not saying this is what will or should happen, but the Sox could easily make something like that happen.

Imagine Betts/Bogaerts/Ortiz/Stanton/Pedroia/Napoli all at the top of the lineup.  I really don't think that offense would generate any complaining. 

Sign HanRam??  I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to have the team cancer-free.  Ramirez is a bad apple and probably the reason he was traded in the first place.

In my defense I specifically said that I don't necessarily agree to that, just that the Sox have the tools and the assets to make additions like that next offseason.  They are flush with cash and prospects. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Seriously, the Sox for years have obviously (IMO) focused their drafting up the middle...and rightly so, again, IMO. Over the past 10 years or so we've developed a string of good-to-great pitchers, an elite 2B, and an elite CF.  Not to mention Hanley Ramirez a.k.a. Beckett and Lowell.  We seem to have a couple of top C prospects, plus X who seems the real deal and the struggling (promoted too fast?) JBJ, plus other middle infield and pitching prospects.  And all that strategy has done for us was to win two championships (post-2004) and build an apparently stocked farm system.  Pfft, not good enough!  I want 162-0 every year followed by an undefeated march through the playoffs.

Pitchers, catchers and other skill position players are gold dust.  Decades of buying/drafting/trading for powerful, lumbering oafs wasn't exactly successful, was it?

Finally, the Sox (and some other teams...Cards?  Rays?  As?) finally started hiring decision makers that understand statistics, the difference between tactics and strategy, etc....and it's paying off big time for them albeit in different ways i.e. budget size is always an issue.

I honestly can't understand how some people still have the need/desire to complain at every wrong turn.

And I hope I never do.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

I don't want to belabor the point, but in the last 10 games Betts is hitting .419 in 37AB, 9K's, 9BB, 1HR, 8RBI (from the leadoff position!) and 4 steals . If we had any RH hitters hitting over. 275 it would be one thing, but we don't, so what's the delay?

Let's just put him in the HOF now and cut out the middleman...he's already had 72 AAA PAs and has played CF 23 times in his MiLB career, what more does he have to prove?

And it's not exactly as if he's just a kid...he's been able to order a beer in US bars since last October.  And what better platform to debut on than a struggling, defending champion team with a wildly impatient, hysterical and complaining fanbase?

Bring him up now!

Yep, sarcasm helps along about 1AM when Jonny G. has just gone 0-5 (Betts is hitting ..318 overall at Pawtucket) while your boy Middlebrooks is trying to break the .200 mark. How about something constructive, for a change.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I really do love the mentality that Theo started here though. Build your team from within, but have the financial versatility to go out and get a FA as well. It's going to be interesting to see this team in the next couple of years. Betts to the outfield makes sense, and if Holt is really 3/4 of this player I see him sticking around. Victorino will be gone purely due to the injuries his style of play results in, and Gomes will probably not stick around too long. The one veteran position player who will be here in the long run is Pedroia. I can definitely see a team looking something like:

C-Vazquez

1B-Swihart

2B-Pedroia

3B-Xander

SS-Marrero

LF-Holt

RF-Betts

CF-JBJ

DH-Ceccini

There's three places on the field you can deal with going more for defense, and that's right up the middle with C, SS and CF. JBJ's average is terrible, but his defense is absolutely amazing, and he's actually been pretty good with pushing runners across the plate. I don't want to give up on him. This obviously assumes that all the kids will develop like we hope, and it doesn't include rebounds from WMB, guys like Brentz stepping up, or touching any other teams' players, but it's nice to think that there's a pretty solid chance that the next couple of years should produce another good crop of homegrown talent like the Pedey/Youk/Lester/Clay group.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to steven11's comment:

I think people need to slow down on this one.  He is smaller than JBJ and may get over powered with MLB pitching.  Relax and let him get thru at least July in triple a

Just like Dustin Pedroia gets overpowered.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This was the scene in AAA tonight: Pawtucket trailing 2-1 in the 9th.  Bases loaded, two outs. Mookie Betts facing Heath Bell. Betts fouled off five two strike pitches, then singled in the tying and winning runs. His third hit of the game.

Stabbed by Foulke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I'm guessing here, but did the FO feel that bringing Betts up to start this road trip would be like saying, "it's panic time, and we need a 21 year old kid to lead us" and that is sending the wrong message? This 11 year LPGA golfer is handling the pressure just fine, and I don't think Mookie would miss a beat. Just tell me where I play, and where I can I get an ice cream cone after the game (referencing the 11 year golfer's comments!)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I don't want to belabor the point, but in the last 10 games Betts is hitting .419 in 37AB, 9K's, 9BB, 1HR, 8RBI (from the leadoff position!) and 4 steals . If we had any RH hitters hitting over. 275 it would be one thing, but we don't, so what's the delay?

Will Betts promise to be as exciting as Bogie has been so far this year?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Dear Xander Bogaerts - 

How have you been? I hear you're doing alright in the majors.  We had some great times together, but I think you would actually be happy to know that we've moved on.  You see, there is this player called Mookie Betts that has just taken us by storm.  Perhaps one day you can meet him, you two would actually probably both get along great; both originally short stops, you both have a great approach at the plate, and you both have awesome names. Anyways got to go...keep up the good work kid, we know you will be a star.

- Sincerely, 

The Red Sox Farm System. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Betts would be far more likely if the Sox needed a 2B.  But with the position change, it slows down his call up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

John Farell talked about Mookie without been asked!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I'm guessing here, but did the FO feel that bringing Betts up to start this road trip would be like saying, "it's panic time, and we need a 21 year old kid to lead us" and that is sending the wrong message? This 11 year LPGA golfer is handling the pressure just fine, and I don't think Mookie would miss a beat. Just tell me where I play, and where I can I get an ice cream cone after the game (referencing the 11 year golfer's comments!)

If this team needs Mookie Betts and his 320PA above A ball to lead them, the season is over, isn't it?

If Betts comes up, maybe its more so to get a jump start on his learning curve, so he doesn't struggle so badly next season...

Sections
Shortcuts