1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: If 2013 proves to be a failure......

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I asked four simple questions yet no one will answer them. Here's a recap:

Post-Season

1) Will young Ben keep his job?

2) Will those defending him admit he's not a good GM?

Pre-Season

3) Can this 2013 team compete for a post-season berth?

4) Is Farrell the savior?

[/QUOTE]

To answer this question one has to define failure.

The should win in the high to mid 80's. If Cherington's players struggle and they win 70 he is on the hot seat if the Lackys and Lester's struggle he is going to get a pass. Last he he did fine And this team is better off in the long run because of him. Farrell is a much better manager then the last guy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Post-Season

Pre-Season

[/QUOTE]

To answer this question one has to define failure.

The should win in the high to mid 80's. If Cherington's players struggle and they win 70 he is on the hot seat if the Lackys and Lester's struggle he is going to get a pass. Last he he did fine And this team is better off in the long run because of him. Farrell is a much better manager then the last guy.

[/QUOTE] Farrell stunk up his tenure with the jays.His use of the bullpen was atrocious and lost them quite a bit of games they shouldn't have lost over his 2 years there.The jays were just about everybody's pick as a dark horse before the season started in 2012 and ended up just scrapping by the sox at season's end.I wouldn't say "he's much better than the last guy".I think he's worse.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

the job of a GM is to build a team for the short and long term.. Ben has put a competitive team on the field in 2013 and is building towards the future by keeping our draft picks and top prospects. he is facillitating their arrival by signing shorter term deals of hard working players to mentor our youngens when they make it to the show.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to BobLoblaw2005a's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to snakeoil123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Same management, same massive payroll.

Obama, according to OMB, is implrementing nearly 2 trillion dollars in spending increases. His plan to make all people wards of the State is moving at record pace.

Oh, and the "middle class" and "the poor" will be paying a lot more taxes because of the fine work that Obama is doing. It won't be just "the rich", it's going to be every wage earner.

Obama's still working on all  the problems that Bush caused, and more spending is needed to get the economy back on track. It's working wonderfully, as the American people have never been in better financial condition. The currency is strong, wind and solar power have dropped the demand for petroleum. People are eating and living healthy. Less people are smoking due to federal Ad Council and great leadership.

The next step is to get American jobs back by being loyal to unions, who provide families with a means to earn a decent standard of living.

And the war on women has been stopped. Obama has insured that women will have birth control pills, even if they are poor and unable to afford a government abortion.

Al Quieda is just a shell of it's former self, and Obama has them on the run.

Obama has gotten us out of the illegal war in Iraq, where the American people were lied to so that oil comapnies could make billons.

Obama has won the war in Afghanastan, and is making sure our troops are coming home to peace and a vibrant American economy.

Obama has made sure that marriage rights are not denied to persons who are born gay and lesbian and don't have civil rights.

Obama has put an end to Wall Street corruption.

Obama has worked together with Warren Buffet to get the rich to "pay a little more since they can afford it". This has solved the fiscal cliff problem and improved the morale of the exploited masses of poor and middle class people.

America is now, for the first time since Carter and Clinton, respected by Russia, Iran and all members of the United Nations.

The Middle East is on the road to peace by virtue of a Palestinian State and fairness and civil rights to people without a Country.

The tax code has been made fairer, and not just a loophole for the rich.

Hispanics now feel welcome and can now come out of the shadows without fear of being prosecuted for seeking freedom and food and housing and healthcare for their familes.

More money will be spent on education to insure that American workers are no longer untrained for high technology and science jobs that the prior budget wasn't large enough to provide educaitonal grants for the next Jobs and Gates. This money will not be spent on big corporate welfare anymore, it will go to our teachers and children.

"Dont Ask and Don't Tell" has been replaced by "Don't Ask and don't tell but I can Tell you about my same-sex sexual proclvities if if I want to." 

All the public policy discrimination from the founding fathers and stupid old white males has been replaced by an enlightened and progressive polcy from the brilliant, fair, wise and capable leadership of an America where all good men, women, gays and lesbians can finally be proud of iinstead of ashamed of.

As close as the popular vote was, isn't it wonderful that there were enough smart people who picked the right leader. Thankfully, we won't be going back to the days of the racism and bigotry and opression of the poor.

Best of all, Muslim hate video makers are in prison where they belong, and the wester and American bigotry towards Muslims has been confronted by leadreship that makes an apology for Muslim hate videos from gun and bible clinging bigots.

And, I'm proud to be an American,

where at least I know I won't starve,

and I'm proud to be a Ward of the State,

because Obama gave food, housing, education, healthcare and dignity to me,

and I'll gladly stand up and protest the wars,

and defend my entitlements today,

because there aint no doubt,

I love this place,

Obama blessed the U.S.A! 

[/QUOTE]

It is spelled Afghanistan.

You really need to take your time with this kind of thing and read up on your subjects.  It is hard to take you seriously otherwise.

[/QUOTE]

Meanwhile, Bill keeps talking about "Solandra."

[/QUOTE]

Softy did just learn how to spell Libya though. I bet he will get Afghanistan down any day now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]

You really need to take your time with this kind of thing and read up on your subjects.  It is hard to take you seriously otherwise.

[/QUOTE]

You didn't actually read all of that crap, did you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No.  I just glanced over it. It was just rather glaring that such a learned man such as he doesn't know how to spell the name of a country that is in the news constantly.

The guy is thick.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

I didn't know I wrote a post about the proper use of a comma recently.

"afghanastan"

Wow. Quite the typo.  The A and the I key are right next to each other.  Right?

Hooked on phonics much?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just as you keep repeating you don't care about incestuous freaks, in your captious trolling you are making a fool of yourself.

[/QUOTE]

A word of the week; how cute.

Mom must be so proud...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

.....do you think young Ben keeps his job? Will the ones who have been defending on here admit he's not a good GM?

I mean, come on. We have essentially the same payroll we did in 2012 without the likes of Agon, C. Ross,  Beckett and Crawford, who have been replaced with average players. Does anyone honestly think this team as constructed can actually compete for a post-season berth?

I'll admit the BP is better, but except for a closer, the BP was pretty darn good last year. Ryan Dempster does not improve the SP. Morales would do just as good a job, or Padilla for that matter. Everyone is banking on Lester and Buchholz returning to form, and Lackey (who has never really proved his worth) to be effective.

Is John Farrell to be the savior? His two years in Toronto didn't bear a lot of fruit and his handling of the Escobar incident suggest he's much like Francona in the discipline arena.

I think there are many on here who see this roster as a reflection of 2004. Dirt-dogs that will rise to the occassion. I hope you are right and I am wrong.

[/QUOTE]

Our present team doesn't remind me much of our 04 club that featured Mannys bat in the middle of the lineup and a team OBP of .370

A few dirt dogs maybe but we are not a WC type team regardless of how much we hope and pray otherwise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our present team doesn't remind me much of our 04 club that featured Mannys bat in the middle of the lineup and a team OBP of .370 

A few dirt dogs maybe but we are not a WC type team regardless of how much we hope and pray otherwise.

The worst part is that with all the money spent this winter, we are no better off for 2014 and beyond either.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The worst part is that with all the money spent this winter, we are no better off for 2014 and beyond either.

[/QUOTE]

It has certainly been a depressing off season moon.  Handing out contracts to a pitcher like Dempster and other vets who will most likely need help from one side of the plate isn't what I hoped for.  

I just don't see our team OBP, or SP improving enough to reach the PS without further upgrades and/or a lot of luck.    

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It has certainly been a depressing off season moon.  Handing out contracts to a pitcher like Dempster and other vets who will most likely need help from one side of the plate isn't what I hoped for.  

I just don't see our team OBP, or SP improving enough to reach the PS without further upgrades and/or a lot of luck.    

[/QUOTE]

it took a lot of luck (bad luck) for us to lose 93 games..

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to EdithBRTN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not spelled "Al Quieda". It is " Al Qaeda".

[/QUOTE]

Screw L Kida

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No.  I just glanced over it. It was just rather glaring that such a learned man such as he doesn't know how to spell the name of a country that is in the news constantly.

The guy is thick.

[/QUOTE]

Last time I read something that long, I was working on my thesis.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

Post-Season

Pre-Season

[/QUOTE]

Once again, you show not a lick of common sense,

1-Will Ben keep his job?  First, there is no need to use 'young' unless you are tryin to differentiate him from old Ben.  Second, for a Y/N question, of course he will keep his job.  The objective of a well-defined question is to make it a coin-flip, where equal parts yes and no.  I'd bet $1,000 that he is the GM a year from now.

2-Another really stupid question.  Why would anyone defending him say he is not a good GM at this point?  It's like asking a mechanic if he thinks the car you want to buy is a good car, before he has seen it.

3-You need to define 'compete' to get an answer, and even then, you've discovered no new information.  Suppose we have a perfectly healthy season, and compete only because everyone  else is 81-81, is being competitive good?  Or suppose we compete, but only because all the guys that were already here, have MVP seasons?  Suppose Lester and Buchholz each go 18-2, and Dempster goes 2-10?  Is this a testament to Ben that he suceeded with inherited players?  And vice versa?

4-Is Farrell the savior?  Is that the standard for being an above-average manager?

Nothing personal, but the questions are really dull-witted.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

Post-Season

Pre-Season

[/QUOTE]

First off you have no idea what the owners goals for the coming season is and as such your premiss is flawed. Secondly, your opinion of his performance to date has led you to conclude already that he's failed. before the first pitch of the 2013 season has been thrown. Clearly you've already set the bar at post season or bust. might be a good thing for him that you're nothrice owner....

Can this team compete for a post season berth...I'd say yes....90 wins is not out of the realm of possibility. Farrell wasn't hired to be the savior. He was hired to manage the club and to help get Lester back on track....if he can get Lester back to his 2011 from...then 90 wins is not out of the question. like it or not this club is under going a change right before your eyes and I find it funny that so many heaved already come to the conclusion that we're already doomed and the roster for 2013 is not even complete....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

I think a trade is needed, even if it is Lavarnway/iggy/kalish/nava/etc for prospects.  At least then we are trading for "unblocked" prospects, albeit maybe ones a little further from game ready.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think a trade is needed, even if it is Lavarnway/iggy/kalish/nava/etc for prospects.  At least then we are trading for "unblocked" prospects, albeit maybe ones a little further from game ready.

[/QUOTE]

I have never understood why we don't do more of that, and why other teams don't do more.  We theoretically have WMB, Bogaerts, and Checcini, whose best position might be 3B, coming up kind of simultaneously.  And Marrero will be maybe 3 years behind Iglesias.  You'd think that someone else has to have a 1B and/or a catcher surplus in the minors.  You would think that, if another teams had two catchers ranked 50 and 75, and we had two 3B ranked 49 and 76, it would make sense for the two teams to swap similar players.

And, FWIW, I think BB shoots itself in the foot by not allowing the trading of draft picks.  It's a different sport for draft purposes, but FB creates a huge event with its draft.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Ben Cheringtom's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

and the FA list for next year is just as awful.

perhaps you should just pull yourself out of this funk you are in

or buy a big jug of booze and get blasted.

[/QUOTE]

The 2014 FA class might not be deep, but they have better blue chip FAs and some decent 2nd tier as well...

C: Brian McCann

1B: K Morales, Morse, Morneau

2B: Cano, Utley

3B: Young, Prado

SS: Furcal, Peralta

LF: Morse, D Murphy

CF: Ellsbury, C Gomez

RF: C Hart, Choo, Pence, Beltran, N Cruz

SP: Halladay ($20M vesting option), Lincecum, C Carpenter, Wainwright, J de la Rosa, G Floyd, Garza, J Hammel, Haren, Hughes, Josh Johnson, Kuroda, E Santana, Vargas, Nolasco,  C Lewis

Is this really more "awful" than 2012?

Yes, some of these guys will extend before then, but still...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

End of the day our roster as comprised is much deeper than the squad that finished the 2012 season. So one could argue that not only will we be better in 2014. We'll be much improved over the 2012 team entering play this year. What everyone has to come to grips with is that the process of retooling this team is going to take a few years. There is no easy fixes to the mess that was left behind by Epstien and the dysfunction that was this teams front office for the better part of the last 5 years. which manifested itself in two underachieving teams with a roster of players that as a collective were less than the sum of their parts. Make no mistake about it everyone involved with this team understands the current state of the organization. what none of us are privy to is the actual long term plan. What I do know is that Henry and Luccino both know that the future value of the team is predicated on continued support by the local business community. who comprise the bulk of the sponsor that pay the freight and it's those money's that serve to line the pockets of the shareholders. 

As tough as this might be, we the fans are going to have to reset our priorities. We're no longer a perennial power....more so a sleeping giant. In 2013 we'll go as far as our pitching will take us. Like it or not that means we need Lester, Buccholz & Lackey each to pitch well along with solid seasons from Pedrioa, Ortiz, Middlebrooks & Ellsbury. Short of that and we're looking at a .500 club at best.