If Andrew Bailey misses extended time, who should be the Sox closer?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: If Andrew Bailey misses extended time, who should be the Sox closer?

it should be bard. that is the role he was groomed to be in and it would make themost sense. aceves is a better SP than him, melanchon is still the setup man and bard closes. but it is unlikely to pan out like that. So what is most likely to happen is that aceves stays in relief and melanchon closes. Aceves is so nasty I would rather see him multiple innings a game not just 1 thats why i'm leaning toward melanchon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Daniel Bard.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

If Bard is moved back to the BP, who is the 5th starter?  Cook?

It doesn't really make sense to move Bard to the pen and then start Aceves, that is essentially a push, as you're still down an arm in the BP until Bailey gets back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: If Andrew Bailey misses extended time, who should be the Sox closer?:
    Daniel Bard.
    Posted by fivekatz

While I tend to agree 5k, do you think they would basically demote Bard after handing him a starting role?? Which begs the question who would replace Bard, if Aceves, who would replace him?? and so it goes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 6k42lt913c. Show 6k42lt913c's posts

In Response to Re: If Andrew Bailey misses extended time, who should be the Sox closer?:
    If Bard is moved back to the BP, who is the 5th starter?  Cook?   It doesn't really make sense to move Bard to the pen and then start Aceves, that is essentially a push, as you're still down an arm in the BP until Bailey gets back.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Cook got sent down to the minors this morning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: If Andrew Bailey misses extended time, who should be the Sox closer? : Cook got sent down to the minors this morning.
    Posted by 6k42lt913c

Yeah but they don't need a 5th starter for a couple weeks.  So, IF Bard goes back to the Pen with Bailey out, they wouldn't need to figure out the 5th starter immediately.

I doubt they will move Bard back to the BP but if they do, it only makes sense if Aceves remains in the BP as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I think MM and AA share the role. No way they pull Bard at the last minute - then you are screwing with him and how he is preparing.

If I was a Sox fan, I would not have liked the idea of this even being an issue. Bard should have been in the BP from the start. He has excelled there. Why mess a good thing up?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: If Andrew Bailey misses extended time, who should be the Sox closer? : While I tend to agree 5k, do you think they would basically demote Bard after handing him a starting role?? Which begs the question who would replace Bard, if Aceves, who would replace him?? and so it goes.
    Posted by J-BAY
    It has been a long time since this team hasn't had a fire throwing, lights out closer, so many of us forget what a difference it can be.

Frankly based on Bard's spring, he would not be hard to replace as the number 5 starter. So yeah I'd start Aceves and use Bard where he has been successful, getting 3-5 high leverage outs late and close 60 plus games a year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Papelbon

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In Response to Re: If Andrew Bailey misses extended time, who should be the Sox closer? : It has been a long time since this team hasn't had a fire throwing, lights out closer, so many of us forget what a difference it can be. Frankly based on Bard's spring, he would not be hard to replace as the number 5 starter. So yeah I'd start Aceves and use Bard where he has been successful, getting 3-5 high leverage outs late and close 60 plus games a year.
    Posted by fivekatz

Doubt they would do it. Aceves is already pissed off, dont need to add Bard to the list. Not to mention, they passed over Aceves in favor of Bard, then tell him they're putting Bard back in the pen over him, to add insult to injury.  As cowards mentioned, with the April schedule, they may be able to get away with a 4 man rotation with a few spot starts from Aceves, until Cook is stretched out. Can never have too much pitching. Never.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

If the concern is bullpen depth, it makes no sense to swap Bard and Aceves just b/c Bailey is hurt.

Now if they want to move Bard to the Pen, now that Bailey is out, and use Cook or someone else as the #5 starter, that makes some sense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I think MM and AA share the role. No way they pull Bard at the last minute - then you are screwing with him and how he is preparing. If I was a Sox fan, I would not have liked the idea of this even being an issue. Bard should have been in the BP from the start. He has excelled there. Why mess a good thing up?
    Posted by jesseyeric

While Bard did well as set up man, I don't have much confidence in him as a closer.  He has had multiple stretches where he was horrible.  If you look at his save conversion pct. (saves+holds)/(saves+holds+blown saves) it is not good.
    13/16 (0.81) in 2009
    45/52 (0.87) in 2010
    35/40 (0.88) in 2011
    If you look at the top 10 closers last year, 8 of them were better than Bard's best year, and all of them were better than his worst year.  I'm not saying he would be a bad closer, but not worth rearranging the starting rotation at this point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In Response to Re: If Andrew Bailey misses extended time, who should be the Sox closer? : It has been a long time since this team hasn't had a fire throwing, lights out closer, so many of us forget what a difference it can be. Frankly based on Bard's spring, he would not be hard to replace as the number 5 starter. So yeah I'd start Aceves and use Bard where he has been successful, getting 3-5 high leverage outs late and close 60 plus games a year.
    Posted by fivekatz

2004 with Foulke wasn't that long ago.  He worked out pretty well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: If Andrew Bailey misses extended time, who should be the Sox closer?":
    it should be bard. that is the role he was groomed to be in and it would make themost sense. aceves is a better SP than him, melanchon is still the setup man and bard closes. but it is unlikely to pan out like that. So what is most likely to happen is that aceves stays in relief and melanchon closes. Aceves is so nasty I would rather see him multiple innings a game not just 1 thats why i'm leaning toward melanchon. Posted by mef429
    "Aceves is a better starter than Bard?" What are you basing that on? Spring Training stats? They both had the same e.r.a. as starters this spring, not that that matters. The big red flag with Aceves was that he seemed to tire in the 5th/6th, as Valentine mentioned, while Bard did not. Bard was throwing 4 pitches for strikes during his last start and at one point, retired 13 of 14, 7 by strikeout. "Stuff wise," Bard has a chance to be dominant, while Aceves is more of a "pitch to contact" guy. It's clearly a matter of opinion, but the jury is still out on who would be a better starter....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

I say use Aceves like the Yankees used to use Gossage or the Brewpub used to use Fingers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to If Andrew Bailey misses extended time, who should be the Sox closer?:
    Alfredo Aceves Daniel Bard Mark Melancon Closer by committee
    Posted by 2004Idiots
    I agree......  "Let me be clear"......   Even without Bailey, this is the best Pen & Staff that the Sox have had in the last 4 or 5 years.....  As Nancy pelosie would say......  "We just need to get by all the DRAMA to see how good we can/will be"  !!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Whover steps up and seizes the role.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Melancon and then make call to Mike Gonzalez.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Bard. Young Ben must be nervous with Bailey being hurt again and Carpenter picked up without checking medical records. Larry Lucchinno cannot be happy with this.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

"Let me be clear"......   Even without Bailey, this is the best Pen & Staff that the Sox have had in the last 4 or 5 years..... Posted by Bill-806

This bullpen isn't even as good as last year's.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Bard. Young Ben must be nervous with Bailey being hurt again and Carpenter picked up without checking medical records. Larry Lucchinno cannot be happy with this.
    Posted by AL34

If was based on who is the best to close for the team, with no "I" in team, hands down is Bard, but just cant see it happening now.

It would be nice if Bard stepped up and told BobbyV he would do it...I like to dream sometimes....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

I can't be Bard.  They cannot keep switching his role - it could mess up his development.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

wakefield is tanned and rested...

Sections
Shortcuts