If anybody wants to know how good a Mgr Bobby V is...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

If anybody wants to know how good a Mgr Bobby V is...

Take a look at the 2000 NYM OF and ask yourself, How the hell did that team get to the WS?

And now, he has even more experience. IMO, he's going to win a WS; maybe not next yr, because many fans expect instant gratification, and in most cases a MGR needs time to mold a team according to their concept, but in 2013-2014, look out.
    He's Billy Martin without the alcohol, as a minimum.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Re: If anybody wants to know how good a Mgr Bobby V is...

That's basically my thought too NH.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

In Response to If anybody wants to know how good a Mgr Bobby V is...:
    Take a look at the 2000 NYM OF and ask yourself,  How the hell did that team get to the WS? And now, he has even more experience. IMO, he's going to win a WS; maybe not next yr, because many fans expect instant gratification, and in most cases a MGR needs time to mold a team according to their concept, but in 2013-2014, look out. He's Billy Martin without the alcohol, as a minimum.
    Posted by nhsteven

I third it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I agree Valentine is what this team needs!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

Initially, I was doubtful of his success in Japan because of the inherent work ethic of the players.  I just thought he 'fell into it' in Japan.

I'm glad to admit that, after reading a lot about him, I was totally wrong.

The guy is a motivator.  I couldn't be more happy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from scottwad. Show scottwad's posts

Ask him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I just want him to gain and maintain control of the clubhouse.  Baby steps.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Benny Agbayani hit 295 in 3 seasonsand ave 16 HRs and 70 RBI  in NYM then did not do well in Co but hit 300 for the RS in the stretch run then went to Japan where he won a Japan WS. BTW despite 2 off years he was a good player in the minors and for the Mets and the Lions in Japan.

Jay Payton was a career 280, 70 RBI and 15 HR guy

Bell was a 290 hitter, 18/20 HRs and 80 RBI guy

Just because Bell and Payton may have had bad reps did not make them bad players

What was so bad about this OF. BTW they all played good defense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Valentine is a Billy Martin type manager without the personal baggage.

That is why we should be  happy to have him on board as manager.  Players will be held accountable and he is  one of the best baseball strategistsand talent evaluators  in the game today..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: If anybody wants to know how good a Mgr Bobby V is...:
    Benny Agbayani  hit 295 in 3 seasonsand ave 16 HRs and 70 RBI  in NYM then did not do well in Co but hit 300 for the RS in the stretch run then went to Japan where he won a Japan WS. BTW despite 2 off years he was a good player in the minors and for the Mets and the Lions in Japan. Jay Payton was a career 280, 70 RBI and 15 HR guy Bell was a 290 hitter, 18/20 HRs and 80 RBI guy Just because Bell and Payton may have had bad reps did not make them bad players What was so bad about this OF. BTW they all played good defense.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

I'm not sure what you were watching, but Agbayani & Bell were stiffs in the field, IMO, and Payton was average.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Valentine is a Billy Martin type manager without the personal baggage. That is why we should be  happy to have him on board as manager.  Players will be held accountable and he is  one of the best baseball strategistsand talent evaluators  in the game today..
    Posted by bald-predictions

Agreed, and if he catches somebody eating fried chicken in the clubhouse, he may not go nuclear, but he may say Do me a favor, clean this up now, before a reporter sees it. Better yet, give it to me; I'll put on my moustache, and toss it in a bin a mile away.
    JK

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: If anybody wants to know how good a Mgr Bobby V is... : Agreed, and if he catches somebody eating fried chicken in the clubhouse, he may not go nuclear, but he may say Do me a favor, clean this up now, before a reporter sees it . Better yet, give it to me; I'll put on my moustache, and toss it in a bin a mile away. JK
    Posted by nhsteven
    How about, "Your teammates and I request the pleasure of your company in the dugout."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from saintJ. Show saintJ's posts

In Response to Re: If anybody wants to know how good a Mgr Bobby V is... : Agreed, and if he catches somebody eating fried chicken in the clubhouse, he may not go nuclear, but he may say Do me a favor, clean this up now, before a reporter sees it . Better yet, give it to me; I'll put on my moustache, and toss it in a bin a mile away. JK
    Posted by nhsteven

Not to bust chops, I would just like an honest answer to this question.  How come its ok to eat seeds and chew gum in the dugout but not chicken in the club house?  Smokeless tobacco was ok until recently too.  I remember back in the early 90s some phillies smoked in the open on the bench.  Is chicken and beer in the club house really so bad when tobacco and sun flower seeds arent?  Does it really matter what the food is?  Would baked skinless bird be ok?  Is the problem that the chicken was fried or that it took place in the club house instead of where the players could watch the game?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

Take a look at the 2000 NYM OF and ask yourself,  How the hell did that team get to the WS? And now, he has even more experience. IMO, he's going to win a WS; maybe not next yr, because many fans expect instant gratification, and in most cases a MGR needs time to mold a team according to their concept, but in 2013-2014, look out. He's Billy Martin without the alcohol, as a minimum.
    Posted by nhsteven

ok ! My question to you is......Would Bobby V be a ok manager with Baltimore or a real good manager with RedSox?....You can manage you azz off but the players make or break you......What is Bobby V's  record as manager?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to If anybody wants to know how good a Mgr Bobby V is... : ok ! My question to you is......Would Bobby V be a ok manager with Baltimore or a real good manager with RedSox?....You can manage you azz off but the players make or break you......What is Bobby V's  record as manager?
    Posted by donrd4

ER, he's got a loaded team now. He took a less talented team (Mets) to the PS in consecutive seasons, and, FWIW, is a legend in Japan due to multiple championships.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: If anybody wants to know how good a Mgr Bobby V is... : ER, he's got a loaded team now. He took a less talented team (Mets) to the PS in consecutive seasons, and, FWIW, is a legend in Japan due to multiple championships.
    Posted by nhsteven

Unless we make some significant moves in the pitching department I think 'loaded' is really overstating it.  If the season started tomorrow we would have one of the most suspect pitching staffs in the league.  We have Beckett, Lester, Buchholz off an injury, and not much else for starters.  We have Bard, Aceves and not much else for relievers.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: If anybody wants to know how good a Mgr Bobby V is... : Unless we make some significant moves in the pitching department I think 'loaded' is really overstating it.  If the season started tomorrow we would have one of the most suspect pitching staffs in the league.  We have Beckett, Lester, Buchholz off an injury, and not much else for starters.  We have Bard, Aceves and not much else for relievers.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

True. The Papelbon defection didn't help either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxnsl. Show maxnsl's posts

How many games into the season before arm chair managers start questioning the strategy of BV? I have 4 in the pool.Thank god we have so many people that know so much, as well as some baseball

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

2000 Mets had a decent team with Franco, Jones, Leiter, Piazza, Alfonzo...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Figment. Show Figment's posts

This guy is a clown and not at all what the Sox need. Another drama queen is the last thing we need.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

after only 13 posts? wow. and your avatar says it all. time for a nap.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Re: If anybody wants to know how good a Mgr Bobby V is... : ER, he's got a loaded team now. He took a less talented team (Mets) to the PS in consecutive seasons, and, FWIW, is a legend in Japan due to multiple championships.
    Posted by nhsteven

I think Bobby V will do alright because of the talent we have and he will be ok holding the fort down i hope.Managers  will never have control of hitting,pitching or fielding so i guess if Bobby V can keep the horses in the corral then he should be fine.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Bobby V is exactly what the Sox need.  The Sox will exit ST in shape and ready to start the season on a high note...not like last year...and for those of you who aren't concerned about wins in April...what if the Sox had just went 5 of 10 out of the gate...oops...Terry might still be here...disregard!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Posted by nhsteven

anybody who knows about that team that year and what they did says the same thing. imagine what he can do with our payroll of players.

then again the culture he will  have to change that tito left as a legacy, wow! the players are gonna get whiplash.

then the brutal reporters will say "see, we told you". and slam him every chance they get. it sells papers. now if they win. they will shut up and laud him of course.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Valentine is a Billy Martin type manager without the personal baggage. That is why we should be  happy to have him on board as manager.  Players will be held accountable and he is  one of the best baseball strategistsand talent evaluators  in the game today..
    Posted by bald-predictions

thats my opinion as well

Sections
Shortcuts