If Beckett were African-American, or Latino...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

If Beckett were African-American, or Latino...

I think he would've been gone by now. IMHO there is no way a black man acting like Beckett is now wouldve been able to overcome the racial steretype of the selfish pro sports athlete more concerned about himself than his team....Manny? he was sent packing (and deservedly so) once his cancer was no longer tolerated....

I know this sounds like softy territory but I am sincere in posting this - I think Josh being a good old boy gets a pass for his selfish behavior because we accept that for his kind, but not for others....comments?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: If Beckett were African-American, or Latino...

Wow

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

wow? a racial double standard does exist or doesnt?

wow?

a good word because you can spell it forward or backward...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Cannot agree.  Manny's "cancer" was much more severe than Beckett not wanting to talk about drinking and eating in the clubhouse during games.  And Manny was given a bye again and again, due to his talent and contributions on the field.  I suspect that is why Beckett is still a Red Sox.  Both his talent and his contributions are sorely needed on this team.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to If Beckett were African-American, or Latino...:
    [QUOTE]I think he would've been gone by now. IMHO there is no way a black man acting like Beckett is now wouldve been able to overcome the racial steretype of the selfish pro sports athlete more concerned about himself than his team....Manny? he was sent packing (and deservedly so) once his cancer was no longer tolerated.... I know this sounds like softy territory but I am sincere in posting this - I think Josh being a good old boy gets a pass for his selfish behavior because we accept that for his kind, but not for others....comments?
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    gather yourself

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: If Beckett were African-American, or Latino...:
    [QUOTE]Cannot agree.  Manny's "cancer" was much more severe than Beckett not wanting to talk about drinking and eating in the clubhouse during games.  And Manny was given a bye again and again, due to his talent and contributions on the field.  I suspect that is why Beckett is still a Red Sox.  Both his talent and his contributions are sorely needed on this team.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

i agree, and talent trumps race...but Beckett has been no Manny in the past five years (he has been pretty good at times)....I just dont get all this adulation and support for this guy....im going to stick with my point and say an athlete of color with his salary/record would have ben gone by now....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This is turning into softi-esque obsession territory.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Just because u think it's not racist doesn'tt mean it isn't.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I'm sorry I should say prejudice more than racist. That has less of a hateful tone as I think your comment was more ignorant and not out of hate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[QUOTE]Just because u think it's not racist doesn'tt mean it isn't.....
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

True.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

But you can never prove it is, either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

But you can believe that bringing it up is purposely provocative and borders on softi-esque obsession, as moon says.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

While Beckett might not have been gone by now, I think Geo is essentially right.  There would have been a much greater tenedency to stereotype him. As I said in my earlier post,  Beckett showed a lack of PR skills when he embraced the "clubhouse code".  This is not exactly BPD/NYPD terrain.  To assume that Geo is a chronically disgruntled Bosox fan who represents NOBODY in RSN or MLB at large is absurd.  In my brief travels across a number of different MLB fan sites, there has been a fair amount of negative reaction to Beckett's comments.  It does NOT matter that the causal dimensions of Fowl Beer did or did not affect the team performance.  People here are rushing to point out it had NO bearing on the Bosox el foldo.  Well, that might be correct in the real world, but the reality of the perceptual assumptions among many fans is that it was either causal or a serious symptom of a dysfunctional team....As far as I am concerned, Beckett was obtuse at best, and indifferent at worst when he made those comments.  Kids can understand the concept of drinking beer during a ball game, and whether those kids have parents struggling with substance abuse issues or not, they deserve a baseball role model who speaks carefully on the issue.  In my opinion, to say what he said, especially given the fact that kids are looking up to him, shows a kind of adolescent, pissy, and "I am entitled" insensitivity that is completely lacking in class...He has had plenty of time to think about how he might respond on a live MLB show so he gets no pass from me.  Beckett is a really, really good pitcher, but he is yet another baseball-moneyed brat in my book.... And if he were a person of color, the pressure to do something at this point would be even greater....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Not clear if you are responding to my post or not ct, but I do not need to be lectured about racism or prejudice.  You know little to nothing of what I do for a living and in what environment I do it in.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

im not even sure if this is true...more of a theory...how the heck can one prove this??? im just saying that it perplexes me the support/tolerance for his behavior...

race does play a role in everything but its not natural law....im not trying to say that it is...but honestly, a guy making that salary and behaving that way begs for normal trading action....unless other reasons are at play

probably has to do more with 2007 than anything else but....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

One reason that might be at play is that other teams do not want to give up equal talent because Beckett is so expensive and has been inconsistent and oft injured.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

And yes, I do think 2007 earned Beckett a few good will chits from most fans.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

What do you mean your not trying to say it is, it sounded a lot like it in your original post. I think your confused because not everyone shares the same opinion as you.....has nothing to do with race. I think poor performance will get the same response onto any player. Crawford is next in line to be hated (unless he has a huge comeback season) but heck so was J.D Drew. I think some people just have a different perception of how what was going on in the clubhouse really effected the team.....and that's the beginning of it. Me personally, who knows what really went on but if was true tht fried chicken was ate once a month and beer had been had for the past decade encompassing to ws teams then maybe Beckett is right tht that Should not of been an issue and should of been kept in house, hey maybe there was a lot more going on and thy were lying and eating chicken every for breakfast lunch nd dinner. Then it would be Different story. You obviously take a different opinion, and while I've seen you mke some really good points I think one like this is bit over the top.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]What do you mean your not trying to say it is, it sounded a lot like it in your original post. I think your confused because not everyone shares the same opinion as you.....has nothing to do with race. I think poor performance will get the same response onto any player. Crawford is next in line to be hated (unless he has a huge comeback season) but heck so was J.D Drew. I think some people just have a different perception of how what was going on in the clubhouse really effected the team.....and that's the beginning of it. Me personally, who knows what really went on but if was true tht fried chicken was ate once a month and beer had been had for the past decade encompassing to ws teams then maybe Beckett is right tht that Should not of been an issue and should of been kept in house, hey maybe there was a lot more going on and thy were lying and eating chicken every for breakfast lunch nd dinner. Then it would be Different story. You obviously take a different opinion, and while I've seen you mke some really good points I think one like this is bit over the top.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh[/QUOTE]

Im not so sure now...just being honest....but im thinking the crawford love will not be as strong if the players were swapped....but the more i think about it, the more i think its about 2007

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Beckett were African-American, or Latino... : Im not so sure now...just being honest....but im thinking the crawford love will not be as strong if the players were swapped....but the more i think about it, the more i think its about 2007
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

He's on the team in 2012. He's not being traded. He's not retiring.

Time to pull the covers off your head and face reality.

I've been wondering how long it'd take for you to find an obsession to replace Francona.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

When you bring race into a discussion it instantly borders on off-limits, although an honest discussion about the influence of race does not need to be offensive or out of bounds.

I think it may be a stretch at this point to say Beckett is benifiting from being white, he didn't "quit" on the team the way Manny did. 

Of course race plays a role in everything, millions of white Christians who have propelled the Republican party for the last 20 years are about to vote for a white Mormon instead of a black Christian.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]When you bring race into a discussion it instantly borders on off-limits, although an honest discussion about the influence of race does not need to be offensive or out of bounds. I think it may be a stretch at this point to say Beckett is benifiting from being white, he didn't "quit" on the team the way Manny did.  Of course race plays a role in everything, millions of white Christians who have propelled the Republican party for the last 20 years are about to vote for a white Mormon instead of a black Christian.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

exactly...thats why i was better off not mentioning it....but i was being sincere in bringing it up...but it is a taboo topic...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Since you already have two anti-Beckett threads besides this one, and the crux of this thread can lead quickly to misunderstandings and unnecessary tensions, you should remove it, as you suggested.  There is nothing good to come of it, IMO.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

We need five Becketts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

This thread is totally lame...so sick of the race trip...Becket had a couple of beers, in Boston of all places...who the H cares?...the guy brings it every bloody day, is one of the top pitchers in the league and is by far the very best pitcher we have...gawd bless him and his attitude...seriously...let's move forward to 2012!!! idiots...