If Bedard pans out.......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

If Bedard pans out.......

.....why don't the Sox employ a 4 man rotation the last two months of the season? this is not as far-fetched as many on here might think, and frankly, I'm not sure why or when teams started going from 4 to 5.
    it would certainly strengthen the pen with another long man, and Wake or Miller could spot start if necessary. Or, we could send Williams down and bring Sutton back up, or find another position guy via the waiver wire.
    We need solid starting pitching down the stretch instead of a make-do starter every 5th day.
    Big league pitchers should be able to pitch every 5th day.
    What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Re: If Bedard pans out.......

Argument is for the opposite actually...a 6 man rotation.

Because the Red Sox have little chance of NOT making the PS.  Rest the starters.  Don't abuse them.

Let's be honest, a Division Title is pretty inconsequential.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to If Bedard pans out.......:
    [QUOTE].....why don't the Sox employ a 4 man rotation the last two months of the season? this is not as far-fetched as many on here might think, and frankly, I'm not sure why or when teams started going from 4 to 5. it would certainly strengthen the pen with another long man, and Wake or Miller could spot start if necessary. Or, we could send Williams down and bring Sutton back up, or find another position guy via the waiver wire. We need solid starting pitching down the stretch instead of a make-do starter every 5th day. Big league pitchers should be able to pitch every 5th day. What do you think?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I agree that they should too Ike.  But, since all these guys have developed under the 5-man rotation system, I think it would be pretty foolhearty to switch it up all of a sudden for a stretch run.  They would have to unlearn and relearn all the routines they have spent years working in.  I smell disaster.  Pitchers are creatures of habit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: If Bedard pans out.......:
    [QUOTE]In Response to If Bedard pans out....... : I agree that they should too Ike.  But, since all these guys have developed under the 5-man rotation system, I think it would be pretty foolhearty to switch it up all of a sudden for a stretch run.  They would have to unlearn and relearn all the routines they have spent years working in.  I smell disaster.  Pitchers are creatures of habit.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I suppose your right. Routines are hard to change and it would probably end in disaster. Just my old-school thinking trying to rule my judgement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]Argument is for the opposite actually...a 6 man rotation. Because the Red Sox have little chance of NOT making the PS.  Rest the starters.  Don't abuse them. Let's be honest, a Division Title is pretty inconsequential.
    Posted by SleeStack1[/QUOTE]

6 man rotations don't work as they reduce your bullpen by a man, and tend to tax it more. Miller won't be in the rotation much longer. After last nights 71 pitch 2 2/3 inning effort, they can't afford to keep him in the rotation with 6 starters. He's lucky to give them 5 innings. Throw in Bedard and Lackey on top of it and your bullpen will be shot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to If Bedard pans out.......:
    [QUOTE].....why don't the Sox employ a 4 man rotation the last two months of the season? this is not as far-fetched as many on here might think, and frankly, I'm not sure why or when teams started going from 4 to 5. it would certainly strengthen the pen with another long man, and Wake or Miller could spot start if necessary. Or, we could send Williams down and bring Sutton back up, or find another position guy via the waiver wire. We need solid starting pitching down the stretch instead of a make-do starter every 5th day. Big league pitchers should be able to pitch every 5th day. What do you think?
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

I like Bedard and thought he looked good last night. Bit of a hard luck start, really. Some seeing eye ground balls and bloops early can be a bit demoralizing, but I like the way he attacked the strike zone. Only gave up 3 runs and frankly the Sox were a little unlucky early on, with line drives right to outfielders. I think he should be a 3-4 starter the rest of the way, but whether you have 4 or 6 starters is really a philosophical call it seems to me. I am more of the 4 starter philosophy, but I never pitched either (was a position player), so I am not really qualified to opine.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanCap. Show SanCap's posts

SI's Joe Sheehan did a good analysis of this on the current web site:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_sheehan/08/04/six.man.rotations/index.html?sct=mlb_wr_a1

His conclusion (draw your own):

"

The six-man rotation is a bridge too far. The balance between defense and offense is out of whack, and a baseball roster with more pitchers than position players should be derided. Instead, it's being aped. The six-man rotation is a cop-out, and teams would be better off making their choice and buying back that extra roster spot for a hitter than by getting less work from their best starting pitchers.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_sheehan/08/04/six.man.rotations/index.html#ixzz1UAbX7eWu

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from smiles-all-around. Show smiles-all-around's posts

Bedard looked fairly good last night for only his second game back from the DL.  Some seem to think that he had a good outing which I would have to disagree with.  5 innings and 3 runs is an era of 5.40.  So if he had a "good outing" every time his era for the year would be 5.40, hardly considered good.  That being said i believe  he will improve on last nights performance and have some truly good outings.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]SI's Joe Sheehan did a good analysis of this on the current web site: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_sheehan/08/04/six.man.rotations/index.html?sct=mlb_wr_a1 His conclusion (draw your own): " The six-man rotation is a bridge too far. The balance between defense and offense is out of whack, and a baseball roster with more pitchers than position players should be derided. Instead, it's being aped. The six-man rotation is a cop-out, and teams would be better off making their choice and buying back that extra roster spot for a hitter than by getting less work from their best starting pitchers. Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_sheehan/08/04/six.man.rotations/index.html#ixzz1UAbX7eWu
    Posted by SanCap[/QUOTE]

Good article. He makes some really solid points to have your best pitching more often.
    Teams tend to reduce to a 4 man rotation in the PS, sometimes 3, depending on the days off.
    I really wonder how it would work out if we broke ST with a 4 man rotation. Four 20 game winners maybe?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

The Sox are not very good against the Central teams ... I actually like their chances better against Texas in the playoffs ...  assuming Texas wins their division.   So wild  card or not, the Sox need to be ready to pitch.  Being ready for the playoffs is the bigger goal.  

But I understand your logic, Alibi ....

Sections
Shortcuts