If Bedard was available......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

If Bedard was available......

What do you think guys?Would you pull the trigger on a deal for Bedard?If so,for whom?
    This is from MLBTraderumors.com:

2. In today's Insider-only blog post, ESPN's Buster Olney says that any team interested in trading for Erik Bedard would have to convince themselves that he could find the same comfort zone on their team that he has with the Mariners.
  3. Seattle is "almost certainly in position to ask for a top prospect" for Bedard according to Olney, who has a 3.94 ERA in eight starts this year but remains an injury risk given all his shoulder trouble.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Re: If Bedard was available......

I was thinking this last night while watching the game.  A lot of people would like Felix on their team, but it is more likely that Bedard is the one who could get moved come trade deadline time.  The M's have a lot of good pitching and could afford to deal him.  Plus, he has actually been better on the road than at home. 

I think the Yankees will look hard at him, if they are not already.  The M's would want a hitting prospect, I would imagine.  What they can get for him will depend on how many teams are interested.  If he is still healthy come the end of June, it may be plently of teams.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

If I am the RS GM at least right now I bet on the pair of elbows getting better before I trade valued prospects to bet on that shoulder.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The ERA of Seattle starters:

2.46 -- Michael Pineda (8 GS)
    2.93 -- Doug Fister (9 GS)
    3.23 -- Felix Hernandez (10 GS)
    3.39 -- Jason Vargas (9 GS)
    3.94 -- Erik Bedard (8 GS)

Vargas has a 0.38 ERA in three May starts while Bedard has a 1.35 ERA in three May starts.

Seattle has posted a 7-9 record in May despite a 2.28 ERA from its starters. The Mariners likely are destined for their third losing season in five years (although a third 101-loss season is not in the works).

• You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I had predicted at the beginning of the season that the M's would lose less than 90 games this year.  Still a losing season, but at least a move upward.  Pineda looks awsome and with Fernandez make up a great young 1-2 punch.  So, I can see them dealing Bedard.  They really need a LFer; I am not sold on Peguero.  Plus a RH hitter would give them a better compliment to Smoak (who I am sold on).  Did you read the article about how many LFers they have gone through over the years? 

An aside, when I saw a while back that like me, you changed your avitar to Killebrew, I thought for sure people would accuse us of being the same person.  :)

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd be interested, but I wouldn't give up a top prospect for him.  A top prospect is what TX gave up for Lee.

In Response to Re: If Bedard was available......:
    [QUOTE]I'd be interested, but I wouldn't give up a top prospect for him.  A top prospect is what TX gave up for Lee.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    I'm surprised that Buster Olney suggested that Erik Bedard would cost a top prospect (although as a Mariner fan I would welcome a highly regarded prospect). Bedard and the Mariners seem to like each other so I could see Seattle pursuing Bedard for 2012 even if the M's trade the lefthander as the trade deadline approaches.

For Cliff Lee and Mark Lowe, Texas gave up top prospect Justin Smoak; starter Blake Beavan (a former first-round pick); reliever Josh Lueke and infielder Matt Lawson (whom Seattle later traded for effective lefty reliever Aaron Laffey).

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Bedard was available...... : I'm surprised that Buster Olney suggested that Erik Bedard would cost a top prospect (although as a Mariner fan I would welcome a highly regarded prospect). Bedard and the Mariners seem to like each other so I could see Seattle pursuing Bedard for 2012 even if the M's trade the lefthander as the trade deadline approaches. For Cliff Lee and Mark Lowe, Texas gave up top prospect Justin Smoak; starter Blake Beavan (a former first-round pick); reliever Josh Lueke and infielder Matt Lawson (whom Seattle later traded for effective lefty reliever Aaron Laffey).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Part of giving up a top prospect for someone like Lee is that you are getting two picks in return.  Theoretically, 2 picks plus 3 months of Lee plus a PO run, should equal Smoak and the rest of the package.  So if the RS aren;t getting the two picks, then what they give up has to be much less.  and they are getting Bedard and not Lee.

I think he's a real interesting target, but if I thought Lackey was returning to form, he'd be less interesting.  There is also the question of whether or not the RS have the right prospect.  In my amatuer opinion, I'm thinking of a prospect ranked somewhere around #100.  I wouldn't give up Iglesias or the recent draft picks.  I'd give up Redd ick, but I'm not sure I'd take him if I were Seattle, though he's had a nice comeback year.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I wouldn't touch him to be honest.  He just can't stay healthy.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I thought maybe softy was back.

He's the one who wanted Bedard or Sheets in the winter or 2009-10.

[QUOTE]I thought maybe softy was back. He's the one who wanted Bedard or Sheets in the winter or 2009-10.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Sheets got a lot of money.  Bedard is a lot less risky.  If you waited until late July, and he was still healthy, he'd be a pretty good bet to continue to be healthy for two months.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Bedard is not a good fit for the Sox, but if he's available you would think the Yankees would be interested in an effective lefty keeping balls away from the short porch.  I think there is some bad blood there from his Orioles days, but the Yankee FO has not been terribly concerned about team chemistry this year.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Flyball pitcher...unless you have a very healthy sox fan, I don't think you'd really want that soeone like that starting for you in Fenway or Yankees Stadium. Vargas migh be a better target.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Bedard was available...... : Flyball pitcher...unless you have a very healthy sox fan, I don't think you'd really want that soeone like that starting for you in Fenway or Yankees Stadium. Vargas migh be a better target.
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]
    Erik Bedard's groundball/flyball ratio resembles Josh Beckett's:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=126&position=P#battedball

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=510&position=P#battedball

Sheets got a lot of money.  Bedard is a lot less risky.  If you waited until late July, and he was still healthy, he'd be a pretty good bet to continue to be healthy for two months.

I was talking 2 winters ago, not now.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Imagine how many people wanted Lackey. Had it been year to year deal on Bedard, the money would have been freed up for use on real pitchers.

Bedard 2011 3.94 ERA 1.27 WHIP Injured 2010

Bozo is back.

Bozo wanted Bedard in 2010.
    Bozo wanted Kotchman at 1B FT.
    Bozo then said Nick johnson or Beltre.
    Bozo then claimed to be the leader on wanting Beltre.
    Bozo wanted Hall over Lowrie this year.
    Bozo called Beckett fat, blamed him for 2010,
    and bashed Theo for extending him.

Bozo is a clown.

Bozo is back.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxSoldRed. Show SoxSoldRed's posts

Bedard was year to year.
    No one wanted Kotchman, except maybe you.
    Beltre was obvious, on a one year base 10 deal.
    Lowrie should have been traded, a butcher at SS, Iglesias would be playing everday while Scutaro is on the DL.
    Beckett was fat and a 2010 embarrassment, with Lackey, the reason the team failed to make the playoffs.
    Beckett should not have been extended at the beginning of the year, which have cut at least a year and a lot of money off the base.

Slav is a bully, and a stupid one.

Bully claims the Twins couldn't afford Mauer
    Bully claims Wakefield has been one of the best #4 starters in baseball
    Bully claims that 5 gold gloves mean "nothing"
    Bully claims Ortiz should sit v. LHP

Bully is a stupid bully.

Bully is still being a bully. 

As a sidenote, Seattle Mariner starters have now gone nine straight games going at least seven innings and surrendering no more than two runs:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2015126522_streak_by_mariners_starters_is.html

• You have chosen to ignore posts from StatsFromLouie. Show StatsFromLouie's posts

[QUOTE]As a sidenote, Seattle Mariner starters have now gone nine straight games going at least seven innings and surrendering no more than two runs: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/marinersblog/2015126522_streak_by_mariners_starters_is.html
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]
    You jinxed your team. Two straight poor starts.

You jinxed the thread... with one more bad post!