If Ben decides to trade either Lackey or Beckett, what would you tell Ben-who stays and who goes?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Motown9009. Show Motown9009's posts

Re: If Ben decides to trade either Lackey or Beckett, what would you tell Ben-who stays and who goes?

I never want to see John Lackey in a Red Sox uniform again.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: If Ben decides to trade either Lackey or Beckett, what would you tell Ben-who stays and who goes?

In Response to If Ben decides to trade either Lackey or Beckett, what would you tell Ben-who stays and who goes?:
    [QUOTE]I'd say Beckett. I'm hoping Lackey if more effective after Tommy John surgery. I like to see both traded but that's not an option. So trade Beckett during the winter and pay some of his salary. I don't think Larry will allow Ben to pay most of the salary so I don't expect much in terms of prospects in return.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

I believe that Beckett will probably be traded before Lackey.  Lackey is just recovering from surgery and I don't think another team would sign him until he pitches for at least a month or two.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Tricky part is there any pitcher out there on the market can pitch better than these two.  MLB is now becoming thin on pitching due most teams are not willing to part away their top pitchers except few small market teams who probably want to get rid of their own pitchers for salary relief.  But that pitcher is more likely an often injure proned pitcher such as Josh Johnson, etc.

That is why Boston will carefully look around in the off season to see if there is anyone that can pitch better than these two or better than Lester.  If there isnt one, what is the best solution?   I dont want Boston just get rid of Beckett/Lackey and bring in guy like Maholm or Bedard or Garza or etc.  IT WILL NOT MAKE THE TEAM ANY BETTER!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I'd tell him, "It takes two to make a thing go right..."

Plus, someone has to hold the suitcases while the other one thumbs a ride...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Hopefully Lackey is gone or I'll have trouble watching every 5th day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Personally, I am very interested /excited to see what Lackey can do after returning from TJ surgery.  I'm cautiously optimistic.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Lackey will be back in 2013, barring medical set backs.

Beckett is another matter.  Right now, I'd put his return at 50/50.  Bard's too..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Lackey will be back but I believe Beckett will quietly ask out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Easy!  you trade Beckett, as you can get something for him.  You GIVE AWAY lackey!  OUTRIGHT RELEASE, as you will never get a dime for him!  If you could get pennies on the dollar for Lackey?????  TAKE IT!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

BOTH MUST GO!  The case for mutual exclusivity is ridiculous.  You MUST get rid of both!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brickbat. Show Brickbat's posts

In response to "Re: If Ben decides to trade either Lackey or Beckett, what would you tell Ben-who stays and who goes?": [QUOTE]Easy!  you trade Beckett, as you can get something for him.  You GIVE AWAY lackey!  OUTRIGHT RELEASE, as you will never get a dime for him!  If you could get pennies on the dollar for Lackey?????  TAKE IT! Posted by redsoxdirtdog[/QUOTE] Yes. I agree. Beckett has some trade value, albeit the RS would be getting rid of of him when that value is at its lowest point. Lackey has zero value. I can't imagine there's a team out there who would trade a clubhouse attendant for that guy. In both cases it's addition by subtraction. They're poison.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: If Ben decides to trade either Lackey or Beckett, what would you tell Ben-who stays and who goes?:
    [QUOTE]Lackey will be back in 2013, barring medical set backs. Beckett is another matter.  Right now, I'd put his return at 50/50.  Bard's too..
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Not sure what will happen to Bard next season.  We have to hope that he will be back next season and has a great season as part of the bullpen.  I always thought he would have been given a chance as a closer.  If he hadn't decided he wanted to be a starter he may had a good season in his previous role. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

But Boston will not trade both especially the trading market or free agent market for this coming off season is going to be a horrible one.  Unless Boston overpay Greinke.  But it is not going to happen.   

Like everyone said including myself, Beckett will ask for a trade after this season is over.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

He trades Beckett and dumps Lackey. That way, both of them are gone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Lackey pitched with that gimpy arm for a long time, and tried his best.  I don't care if he is a charm school dropout, the guy is tough, two beers or not, and could turn out to be a very good pitcher after his recovery.  

Beckett ... just does not seem to be into it. Like Youk, they are waiting to go.  I could care less whether he pitches great next year or not, chemistry is bad with him here.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: If Ben decides to trade either Lackey or Beckett, what would you tell Ben-who stays and who goes?:
    [QUOTE]Lackey pitched with that gimpy arm for a long time, and tried his best.  I don't care if he is a charm school dropout, the guy is tough, two beers or not, and could turn out to be a very good pitcher after his recovery.   Beckett ... just does not seem to be into it. Like Youk, they are waiting to go.  I could care less whether he pitches great next year or not, chemistry is bad with him here.  
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

I heard some of the announcers on the local radio stations say that Lackey is a great teammate and good clubhouse influence.  I got the impresssion that many of the current Red Sox players really like him.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I would rather keep Beckett than Lackey.....coming off TJ surgery is a crap shoot....and based on his alternate year histiry, Beckett is due for a better year next year....salaries are a wash.  I agree you could get something for Beckett but not much and I dont see anyone else out there that would be easily obtained to replace him

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

If you can find a way to get out from either contract , you do.

Which one do we dump?  The one whose salary we can get another team to absorb.

Note: if we cant find a team to take either of their respective salaryies, we keep both (which is the probably scenario).  Its not about getting them off the team at all costs.  Its about creating financial flexibility to resign Ross, Papi, and maybe go after a FA pitcher.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]If you can find a way to get out from either contract , you do. Which one do we dump?  The one whose salary we can get another team to absorb. Note: if we cant find a team to take either of their respective salaryies, we keep both (which is the probably scenario).  Its not about getting them off the team at all costs.  Its about creating financial flexibility to resign Ross, Papi, and maybe go after a FA pitcher.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

First of all, if you are talking about creating financial flexibility.  The biggest problem is that if Boston ever trade both Lackey and Beckett, it is more likely that Boston would eat up some of the salary.  Let say Boston would have to eat up approximately 8 million dollars a year for each Lackey and Beckett.  Then Boston would have to find two new starting pitchers to replace them.  These two new pitchers could ask for 8 million dollars a year.  So if you try to add up the new contract for the newly starting pitchers with Boston eating up these salary would equal the same amount of money that Boston are paying them a year.   Thefore, by trading them may not even work out for Boston.  These free agent pitchers are so awful in the past two years as well this coming off season. These top 25 best available pitchers are still asking 8 to 12 million dollars a year in the past two years as well they will continue to ask for that range again for this coming off season.  I strongly think that Boston could try to make a trade for Felix.  If not, then Boston could try to trade Salty, Aviles, Aceves, etc who all will be going thru arbitration cases, and Boston can try to get someone else in return who will also be going thru the abitration case.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If Ben decides to trade either Lackey or Beckett, what would you tell Ben-who stays and who goes? : First of all, if you are talking about creating financial flexibility.  The biggest problem is that if Boston ever trade both Lackey and Beckett, it is more likely that Boston would eat up some of the salary.  Let say Boston would have to eat up approximately 8 million dollars a year for each Lackey and Beckett.  Then Boston would have to find two new starting pitchers to replace them.  These two new pitchers could ask for 8 million dollars a year.  So if you try to add up the new contract for the newly starting pitchers with Boston eating up these salary would equal the same amount of money that Boston are paying them a year.   Thefore, by trading them may not even work out for Boston.  These free agent pitchers are so awful in the past two years as well this coming off season. These top 25 best available pitchers are still asking 8 to 12 million dollars a year in the past two years as well they will continue to ask for that range again for this coming off season.  I strongly think that Boston could try to make a trade for Felix.  If not, then Boston could try to trade Salty, Aviles, Aceves, etc who all will be going thru arbitration cases, and Boston can try to get someone else in return who will also be going thru the abitration case.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

That was my point.  I'd be willing to move either if another team is willing to absorb practically all of the contracts.  Im not willing to eat a ton of money and then dump them for reasons you mention.  The dead money + the cost of replacement would result in a zero sum game.

I'm wondering if we could include a prospect to entice a team to take a contract.  I'd part with practically any prospect if it would give us some bad contract relief.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Beckett, amazingly enough they could get something in return for Josh.  Lackey is on injury rehab and was a colossal failure last season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

dont you have to remove all the cancer? what good is leaving 1/2 of it there?

dumb