If Bobby V is the new Sox manager

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

If Bobby V is the new Sox manager

At least we won't have to listen to him on Sunday Night Baseball.
    Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: If Bobby V is the new Sox manager

I'm scared he might lose his tan in Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to Re: If Bobby V is the new Sox manager:
    I'm scared he might lose his tan in Boston.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Why Space, Boston is a great place to be in the summertime!!

Bobby V is very similar in managerial style to former Sox manager Dick Williams, isn't he?? And Boston fans loved Williams!

I actually prefer him over Lamont and Luvello...but would give Alomar a shot, with an experienced ex-manager as a bench coach...hmmm maybe that's what the Sox are talking to Valentine about....a bench coach position...ya never know.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: If Bobby V is the new Sox manager : Why Space, Boston is a great place to be in the summertime!! Bobby V is very similar in managerial style to former Sox manager Dick Williams, isn't he?? And Boston fans loved Williams! I actually prefer him over Lamont and Luvello...but would give Alomar a shot, with an experienced ex-manager as a bench coach...hmmm maybe that's what the Sox are talking to Valentine about....a bench coach position...ya never know.
    Posted by Soxdog67

I am refraining from asserting an opinion about any of these guys, as i am sure i have no idea.  I though Francona was a terrible hire.  And i was dead wrong.  the makings of a good manager (or, more correctly, a better fitting manager) are very hard to determine from the outside.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall of the RS Baseball Operations office.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall of the RS Baseball Operations office.
    Posted by Alibiike

Yup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

we need a leader...John Henry is tired of spending so much on players just to see them flabby and underperform...if Bobby V is that type of take charge guy, then he's in, it is as simple as that...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yukon-Cornelius. Show Yukon-Cornelius's posts

In Response to Re: If Bobby V is the new Sox manager : I am refraining from asserting an opinion about any of these guys, as i am sure i have no idea.  I though Francona was a terrible hire.  And i was dead wrong.  the makings of a good manager (or, more correctly, a better fitting manager) are very hard to determine from the outside.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Well said, Spaceman.  I'm not particularly fond of the idea of Bobby V managing the Sox, but I freely admit I have no idea whether he would work better than Alomar or Lovullo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"I am refraining from asserting an opinion about any of these guys, as i am sure i have no idea.  I though Francona was a terrible hire.  And i was dead wrong.  the makings of a good manager (or, more correctly, a better fitting manager) are very hard to determine from the outside."

Totally agree with you Spaceman.  People form opinions based on images and often have no idea what they're talking about.  Another good example is Belichick.  I was very unhappy that the Pats gave up a 1st rd pick to hire him after seeing his work in Cleveland.

Joe Maddon has become god-like in some people's eyes but I bet if you asked these people they couldn't tell you what makes him a good mgr.  I do think he is good,  but would he be as effective if you: 

1) took away his pitching staff

2) put him in a media spotlight market like Boston

3) gave him a bunch of millionaires to manage instead of young, hungry guys trying to establish themselves and score their big payday

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

As a fan since 1966, I think his been there, done that, seen that background would be good to keep the team in line. He would infuse the dugout and clubhouse with spirit. I like the idea.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

In Response to Re: If Bobby V is the new Sox manager : Why Space, Boston is a great place to be in the summertime!! Bobby V is very similar in managerial style to former Sox manager Dick Williams, isn't he?? And Boston fans loved Williams! I actually prefer him over Lamont and Luvello...but would give Alomar a shot, with an experienced ex-manager as a bench coach...hmmm maybe that's what the Sox are talking to Valentine about....a bench coach position...ya never know.
    Posted by Soxdog67

Alomar was quoted as saying he thought the players should police themselves.  We saw how well that worked out last season.  Sox need somone like Valentine who knows the game and will keep the players in line. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Lucchino won't sign Valentine to any more than 2 years with a (team) option for a 3rd year.     If Valentine implodes, Cherington gets the blame anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

As a fan since 1966, I think his been there, done that, seen that background would be good to keep the team in line. He would infuse the dugout and clubhouse with spirit. I like the idea.
    Posted by LeftyGrove

Or he'd pizz off the whoe team

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

Im guessing the 3rd mystery man gets the job, and that man will be Mike Hargrove.
    ----
    From Mlbtraderumors: There’s at least one unknown yet serious candidate for the
    job, according to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Fom my experience people (on a team, office or playing field) can police themselves normally... but little by little it eventually starts to erode... in the end you need someone who can wield a mighty hand. 

I think Tito obviously let all his teams in Boston police themselves. That is why Manny loafed around, Johnny grew a long beard, and stir-ups were tucked away under baggy pants....

There is too much on the line for the manager to let the "kids" police themselves... 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

we need a leader...John Henry is tired of spending so much on players just to see them flabby and underperform...if Bobby V is that type of take charge guy, then he's in, it is as simple as that...
    Posted by georom4

If that's Henry's mind set, and it very well may be, then he's doing exacty the right thing, and has the team's best interest in mind. If so, then why are so many people griping about all this? Do they really believe that Henry and Luccino prefer losing as long as they have their yes man in the dugout? Really? THIS organization? Too many people on this forum with too much to do and too little knowledge.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

So glad, on second glance, this thread said "if".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Fom my experience people (on a team, office or playing field) can police themselves normally... but little by little it eventually starts to erode... in the end you need someone who can wield a mighty hand.  I think Tito obviously let all his teams in Boston police themselves. That is why Manny loafed around, Johnny grew a long beard, and stir-ups were tucked away under baggy pants.... There is too much on the line for the manager to let the "kids" police themselves... 
    Posted by BurritoT

Yeh, if only Johnny Damon would have beeen forced to trim his beard and Manny and Big Papi forced to expose their stir-ups, I imagine the Red Sox would have won five World Series instead of only two. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think Bobby V's personality and managerial style is exactly what this clubhouse needs..I doubt he stays more than 2...MAYBE 3...I didnt mind ownership stepping in at all on this one...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

I think Bobby V's personality and managerial style is exactly what this clubhouse needs..I doubt he stays more than 2... MAYBE 3...I didnt mind ownership stepping in at all on this one...
    Posted by southpaw777
    Do you mean that he won't be offered more than 2 years, or that he'll quit after 2 years, or that he'll be fired after 2 or 3 years? Or what? I doubt he'd sign for only 2 years. Unlike many posters, I think that much more work must be done by and on the Red Sox over a period of time. Valentine could very well be the right man to do it. 
    For sure, ST would not be Club Med. He's bearish on fundamentals. He's a canny tactician. He's a good teacher. Though he's mellowed somewhat, there would never be any doubt about who's in charge. If he's hired, the vets will have to get that fact through their heads quickly -- and like it. And the FO will have to support him. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: If Bobby V is the new Sox manager : Do you mean that he won't be offered more than 2 years, or that he'll quit after 2 years, or that he'll be fired after 2 or 3 years? Or what? I doubt he'd sign for only 2 years. Unlike many posters, I think that much more work must be done by and on the Red Sox over a period of time. Valentine could very well be the right man to do it.  For sure, ST would not be Club Med. He's bearish on fundamentals. He's a canny tactician. He's a good teacher. Though he's mellowed somewhat, there would never be any doubt about who's in charge. If he's hired, the vets will have to get that fact through their heads quickly -- and like it. And the FO will have to support him. 
    Posted by expitch

Honestly, I think he'll get a 3-4 year deal..not sure how he'll leave, or if he even does before the contract expires..Like you said, hes mellowed a bit..What I am sure of is that this clubhouse will NOT have a "country club" atmosphere with Him in charge..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

In Response to Re: If Bobby V is the new Sox manager : Yup.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Would love to be a fly on the wall in Cubs  baseball operations office.
    Theo has gotten the best of Luchino and must be having a great time watching this unfold. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: If Bobby V is the new Sox manager : Yeh, if only Johnny Damon would have beeen forced to trim his beard and Manny and Big Papi forced to expose their stir-ups, I imagine the Red Sox would have won five World Series instead of only two. 
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas

Yes the point was the players ran the ship - all too evident this year would you not agree smart-azz?  When you give an inch.... and it took 7 years to finally snowball. Am I misrepresenting something here?  Go build a puzzle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jackyldo. Show jackyldo's posts

I agree Burrito    they did  run the ship..     There were a few pros  that worked out, ran and played hard for their own reasons (impending free agency).

This team wasnot hungry or motivated enough to even mount comebacks late in games.  They were always  going to win the one they needed  to make it into the playoffs  and almost did in Baltimore the last day of the season.

Sorry that wasn't good enough for us fans..

It seemed  like  that was the case for Terry too at the end -- oh well we'd leave   12 on base and lose   4-3  because we just did not get that big hit when we needed it.

On to 2012  .... renew  the Direct TV extra inning package  -- because what else are we going to do from April to October ?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The inmates ran the ship in 2004 and they were a bunch of talented crazies who wanted to win, and so they did. I don't know about 2007 so much but in the end even the manager told the truth, nobody was listening by 2011. He gave them their freedoms over the years and when there was no Curt Schilling, Mike Lowell, or Johnny Damon to steer the clubhouse it was left to the likes of Josh and John - they decided to chill out and have beer.

That is all.

You are right about some of the pros', Paplebon was playing for a contract so he went out an kicked azz.  

Sections
Shortcuts