If Boston is so concerned with controlling young players

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

If Boston is so concerned with controlling young players

Why not let them grow on the job?  For 1 time I would love the Sox to give one of their can't miss prospects a chance to play before the age of 24.  For me I would rather sit through a losing season watching Bradley and  Xander growing but learning and playing hard, than watching a last place team with a 170 mil payroll.

Tampa does it Oakland does it, now orioles doing it.  Why not try?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: If Boston is so concerned with controlling young players

+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to craig2174's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why not let them grow on the job?  For 1 time I would love the Sox to give one of their can't miss prospects a chance to play before the age of 24.  For me I would rather sit through a losing season watching Bradley and  Xander growing but learning and playing hard, than watching a last place team with a 170 mil payroll.

[/QUOTE]
    It certainly would be a lot better and more fun to watch than stocking the team with a collection of mediocre veterans. That is what we have been doing. Ideally , it would be good to allow the kids to develop in the minors, but the major league club needs to contend. Or at least be entertaining to watch. It is hard to picture them contending in 2013. If that is the situation , why not give the youngsters a shot. Before you know it , they will be free agents that we can no longer afford.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

because your spending years of team control on them learning how to play the game (things they learn how to do in the minor leagues) as opposed to using that team control when they are ready to make an INSTANT impact on the team and have them cost controlled as they are in or are approaching their prime. you may not like it but its a sound baseball and business decision.

small market teams are forced to do the opposite of the sox because they dont have the money to fill gaps via free agency to bridge the gaps to their prospects so they have to choice but to play them and hope for the best

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

My point is that if they are as good as the sox brass believes bring them up at 23 or so and get them under control while in 20's.  Everyone wants to keep trading for guys like uptown or Stanton, these are guys who got chance to come up at 21 or so and these are guys we would have to give the farm for. Why not see what Xander or Jackie can do out of spring training?  Is pro far that much better than Xander that he will start next year at such a young age?  maybe he is.  I have only see highlights of both

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

My point is that if they are as good as the sox brass believes bring them up at 23 or so and get them under control while in 20's.  Everyone wants to keep trading for guys like uptown or Stanton, these are guys who got chance to come up at 21 or so and these are guys we would have to give the farm for. Why not see what Xander or Jackie can do out of spring training?  Is pro far that much better than Xander that he will start next year at such a young age?  maybe he is.  I have only see highlights of both

[/QUOTE]

comparing xander to J Upton and Stanton is absurd. those guys are legit superstars and only come around every once in awhile if the sox had a prospect like that, he would be playing... at the end of the day, xander is still a prospect who has yet to even play in AAA!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We did.  Second half of last year.  It went awful.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We called Bradley up to AA to see what he can do.  He struggled.  You want to promote him all the way to the majors?

Xander is 19.

They dont have to be in the majors to be monitored.  We will see what Bradley can do in AA next year.  

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The theory is that if you keep good prospects down in the minors until they are ready to be very good MLB players, you will then have those players under team control for more of their prime years, instead of pre-prime years. 

I do agree that sometimes we should perhaps throw caution to the wind, when we have an awesome prospect, but last time I checked, we don't have any Bryce Harpers lingering in AAA.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

because your spending years of team control on them learning how to play the game (things they learn how to do in the minor leagues) as opposed to using that team control when they are ready to make an INSTANT impact on the team and have them cost controlled as they are in or are approaching their prime. you may not like it but its a sound baseball and business decision.

small market teams are forced to do the opposite of the sox because they dont have the money to fill gaps via free agency to bridge the gaps to their prospects so they have to choice but to play them and hope for the best

[/QUOTE]

Like your answer. You are so right. hope that can sink in to some of these meatheads

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We called Bradley up to AA to see what he can do.  He struggled.  You want to promote him all the way to the majors?

Xander is 19.

They dont have to be in the majors to be monitored.  We will see what Bradley can do in AA next year.  

[/QUOTE]

drewski - I wouldn't call what Jackie Bradley, Jr. did in AA struggling.

POR EAS .271 61 229 37 62 16 2 6 29 100 35 49 8 3 .373 .437 .809

They weren't great, but for someone who entered 2012 with less than 40 minor league at bats, they weren't bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Xander is 19.

[/QUOTE]

drewski - I wouldn't call what Jackie Bradley, Jr. did in AA struggling.

POR EAS .271 61 229 37 62 16 2 6 29 100 35 49 8 3 .373 .437 .809

They weren't great, but for someone who entered 2012 with less than 40 minor league at bats, they weren't bad.

[/QUOTE]

The point still is valid. It is highly doubtful he'd have done the same or better in the bigs.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Thwe Sox use plenty of young players.  They bring them up as needed and when they are ready, and if things work out they find a place for them.  More than once we have seen the Sox trade away the higher paid veteran to let the younger player have the starting spot.  Ask Youkilis or Coco Crisp. 

Why is this method a problem?  Because Tampa brings up a ton of rookies in a 2 or 3 year stretch and wins with them?  Our farm system is not where there's is, and will probably never be, and you do not want to go through the required prolonged period of losing to get it here.

Everyone wants this team to be run like Tampa, but without the 10 years of losing it takes to get there...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Couldnt have said it better. +1

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Xander is 19.

[/QUOTE]

Tony C was playing for the Sox at 19. And he came up from A ball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Justin Upton came up young and did great for one year. The past two have been ones of not living up to the potential that was and is still there. Maybe with a year or two in the minors the past two yrs may not have been so off. 

There are few Robin Younts who can come in at 19 and play at a level needed to be productive.

you also have the issue of screwing up a kid who is not mentally ready for the MLB grind.

In 67 RS had a kid come up that set ST on fire and his first two games were outstanding, even a 2out 9th inning 1 hitter. He played about 1 more year and finished with  a 2and 3 record after 1 1/2 year never to be seen again. He was not ready.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

We need to dump Bradley.   Boras is his agent.  Trade him now!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We need to dump Bradley.   Boras is his agent.  Trade him now!

[/QUOTE]

And throw away what 5 years of control glad you are not the GM

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

We HAVE to get rid of Bradley.  We have no choice.   Management has no chance of dealing wiith the eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil scott boras.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The point is not valid. Bradley, Jr did not "struggle" in AA. As a CF'er, his primary purpsoe is defensive. There is no doubt that he could offer more than Shane can offer, right now. But for his confidence, they should have him do one more season of AA/AAA, then call him up after roster expansion 2013.

[/QUOTE]

Try to keep up.

The discussion is about last year, not Bradley vs Shane this year or next.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

They need to dump Xander Boagerts too.  He is another Boras client.  No sense in dragging it out. 

Trade Bradley, Boagerts, and throw in Ellsbury - try to get back 4 aging mediocrities that hit .233

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thwe Sox use plenty of young players.  They bring them up as needed and when they are ready, and if things work out they find a place for them.  More than once we have seen the Sox trade away the higher paid veteran to let the younger player have the starting spot.  Ask Youkilis or Coco Crisp. 

Why is this method a problem?  Because Tampa brings up a ton of rookies in a 2 or 3 year stretch and wins with them?  Our farm system is not where there's is, and will probably never be, and you do not want to go through the required prolonged period of losing to get it here.

Everyone wants this team to be run like Tampa, but without the 10 years of losing it takes to get there...

[/QUOTE]

TB has also been very good at extending players to team friendly contracts early on, thereby not losing them to free agency at earlier than "normal" ages (since they tend to bring up players earlier than the norm).

Sections
Shortcuts