If Boston is so concerned with controlling young players

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: If Boston is so concerned with controlling young players

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brentz is probably the closest OF'er/prospect to make the MLB right now. Bradley should start in AA with a promotion to AAA after having more success in AA. Bogaerts starts in AA. Needs more defensive work and better pitch recognition against advanced pitching in AA.

Brentz starts the year at AAA and if needed, he should be ready.

RDLR needs toi get  back into the groove after TJS. Barnes and Webster probably start in AA. Maybe Webster in AAA or a promotion there mid season.

Thats our top 6 prospects. Nobody is ready. They all still need work. None are over 22-23. Thats still vey young.

Lavarnway and Iggy are it. And Lav might start the year in AAA.

This team needs to build a better clubhouse atmosphere when these kids arrive. The players theyve acquired will help do this. 2014-2015 are the years we should expect a lot of new names from the farm making themselves known. We will have control of JBJ and Brentz until they are both 30, like Ellsbury. Same with RDLR, Barnes and Webster...

[/QUOTE]

i fully agree about brentz. he is easily the furthest along of our top prospects (not counting lava/iggy). i would like to see more from JBJ before i annoint him the CF'er of the future but he has had a pretty good start in A ball and so-so with limited ABs in AA. with expected improvement, at the latest he should be in AAA by the end of 2013 and ready to possibly join the sox as a september callup at the latest in 2014. barring injury of course. the pitchers are much harder to project so i won't even bother.

REALLY looking forward to watching these kids play when the pawsox come to town. hooray for free tickets!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to craig2174's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why not let them grow on the job?  For 1 time I would love the Sox to give one of their can't miss prospects a chance to play before the age of 24.  For me I would rather sit through a losing season watching Bradley and  Xander growing but learning and playing hard, than watching a last place team with a 170 mil payroll.

Tampa does it Oakland does it, now orioles doing it.  Why not try?

[/QUOTE]

Can you give some examples of the Sox holding back players to gain the extra year of control?

The only example I can think of that's even close is Middlebrooks...and in 2012 Youkilis was the starter and when he went down Middlebrooks came up before the Super 2 deadline....so that makes zero examples.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

I agree with Southpaw's comments in general but I tend to view Brentz and JBJ as being about the same developmentally. Brentz could make it to the bigs sooner with a well timed injury in RF but barring that it seems like JBJ & Brentz have nearly the same ETA.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Why not let them grow on the job?  For 1 time I would love the Sox to give one of their can't miss prospects a chance to play before the age of 24.  For me I would rather sit through a losing season watching Bradley and  Xander growing but learning and playing hard, than watching a last place team with a 170 mil payroll.

[/QUOTE]

Can you give some examples of the Sox holding back players to gain the extra year of control?

The only example I can think of that's even close is Middlebrooks...and in 2012 Youkilis was the starter and when he went down Middlebrooks came up before the Super 2 deadline....so that makes zero examples.

[/QUOTE]

let me answer that with another question.. when is the last time they brought a 19-21 year old up to start? not because someone was hurt either. a legit callup to start because he was ready..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

let me answer that with another question.. when is the last time they brought a 19-21 year old up to start? not because someone was hurt either. a legit callup to start because he was ready..

[/QUOTE]

Tony C?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Rice was 21 and Lynn 22 when they were called up at the end of 1974 and they ended up staying.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

And Evans was 21 in 1973, his rookie year.

EDIT: Glenn Hoffman was 21 when he came up in 1980 (114 games) for good.

EDIT: Ellis Burks was close. He was 22 in his rookie year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

but no one since the henry, werner and co. bought the sox?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

^^^Now that is "terrible wrong."