If Bucholtz returns and is effective, who goes from starting rotation ???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

If Bucholtz returns and is effective, who goes from starting rotation ???

Get rid of Thorton in relief completely & I would consider using Dempster & Doubront if one of our starters gets knocked out early 2-4 inning and we needed a long middle reliever.  Any thoughts ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: If Bucholtz returns and is effective, who goes from starting rotation ???

If they can clinch early, they can set up the rotation to be fresh for the playoffs. Four man rotation. Dempster and Doubront out.

Stabbed by Foulke.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Doubront needs a rest- right now. I mentioned he needed it about 3-4 starts ago.

If Buch is healthy, the 4-man playoff rotation will be this:

1) Peavy

2) Lester

3) Buccholz

4) Lackey

Mid & Long relief:

5) Doubront

6) Dempster

7) Workman

Short relief:

8) Uehara

9) Tazawa

10) Breslow

11) Thornton (or possibly Morales or Britton)

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Doubront seems to be hitting that wall I said was very possible and Dempster has been below average the 2nd half. Both are options for the pen. Id leave Thornton off my PO roster. He brings nothing IMHO. Doubie could keep what bullets he has left and use them sparingly in the pen. Dempster had some success inthe pen before as well.

Peavy, Lester, Lackey, Buchholz is my playoff rotation, with Demp and Doubie to the pen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I'd skip everyone for one start, but you kind of need to know how they react to a change of schedule.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Doubront needs a rest- right now. I mentioned he needed it about 3-4 starts ago.

1) Peavy

2) Lester

3) Buccholz

4) Lackey

Mid & Long relief:

5) Doubront

6) Dempster

7) Workman

Short relief:

8) Uehara

9) Tazawa

10) Breslow

9)

Sox4ever

I'd probably go with Morales and I agree with the rest of your selections...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

1) Peavy

2) Lester

3) Buccholz

4) Lackey

Mid & Long relief:

5) Doubront

6) Dempster

7) Workman

Short relief:

8) Uehara

9) Tazawa

10) Breslow

Sox4ever

Since Doubront cannot seem to throw strikes I would leave him off the playoff roster. RP have to throw strikes. I would keep Britton instead.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Probably Dempster, but Im wondering about Dubrount lately.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

1) Peavy

2) Lester

3) Buccholz

4) Lackey

Mid & Long relief:

5) Doubront

6) Dempster

7) Workman

Short relief:

8) Uehara

9) Tazawa

10) Breslow

Sox4ever

Since Doubront cannot seem to throw strikes I would leave him off the playoff roster. RP have to throw strikes. I would keep Britton instead.

[/QUOTE]

Britton is already at his innings limit and its showing. His velocity is down and his offspeed stuff doesnt have the same bite/movement it did a month ago. Dempster can at least throw strikes and is usually good first time through a lineup, which makes for a good bullpen arm.

I guess since both Doubie and Drake are at, or over, the innings they pitched last year, either one is a gamble. Morales may be the LHP that gets the nod since hes pretty fresh.

Hopefully they can clinch fairly soon and let a couple of these guys get some IP out of the pen so we can have a better idea what were dealing with.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marioguy424. Show Marioguy424's posts

I agree with Dgalehouse- we should use a four man rotation for the rest of the year, assuming that Buch is effective. Obviously, of course, should the pitching staff fall apart due to a lack of rest (which I doubt would happen- Lackey, Lester, and Peavy all have multiple 200+ inning seasons, proving their durability, and if Buch starts on Tuesday and started every four days after that, he would have four starts for the rest of the season, AND it would be aligned so that he could pitch in game one of the ALDS or, if the Red Sox have a massive collapse like 2011's, in a one-game playoff against Oakland or Texas,) we could throw Dempster or Dubront back into the rotation and scrap the four-man model. Since Farrell probably won't do that, though, I think that Dubront should leave the rotation for the rest of the season, and then, in the playoffs, Dempster should go with him. Of course, all of this assumes that Buchholz is effective. For all we know, he could return horribly, and force us to keep our current rotation. So far, though, my hopes are high.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Probably Dempster, but Im wondering about Dubrount lately.

Doubront probably just needs a rest, and I think he'll be OK after that.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts