If CC Sabathia exercised the opt-out in his contract at the end of the season, should the Sox sign him?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyerica. Show jesseyerica's posts

If CC Sabathia exercised the opt-out in his contract at the end of the season, should the Sox sign him?

by Bob Klapisch/FoxSports
    Updated Jul 19, 2011 7:50 PM ET
    CC Sabathia's recent run of excellence has been both historic and daunting for Yankee officials, who are preparing to pay handsomely for their dependence on him.

First things first: the lefthander, who leads the majors with 14 wins and is on his way to a Cy Young Award, has gone five straight starts of at least seven innings each, not allowing more than one run.

It’s been 30 years since a Yankee pitcher has been that dominant; not even Roger Clemens in his prime was able to match that, as a similar streak of his lasted only four starts in 1999.

Question is, how much is this going to cost the Yankees when Sabathia exercises the opt-out in his contract? He was awarded that clause as an incentive to sign a seven-year deal as a free agent in 2008 — the right to become a free agent after the third year.

Sabathia enjoys pitching for the Yankees, and there’s no glaring reason to believe he’ll actually leave. But, given that leverage, there’s no reason for him not to use it, either. Remember, Sabathia is two years younger than Cliff Lee, who will be earning $25 million a year starting in 2013.

The topic came up in spring training, and Sabathia’s non-answers were most revealing. When asked if he was leaving, staying or somewhere in between, Sabathia said, “I’m here” and cut off further questions.

Do the Yankees have second thoughts about being so vulnerable? Hardly, says GM Brian Cashman, who said, given the circumstances of Sabathia’s free agency after the ’08 season has “no regrets” about the generous language.

The reason, he says, should be obvious to any Yankee historian. The Bombers failed to make it to the playoffs that year, and were about to move into their new ballpark in 2009. The Steinbrenner family decided it would spend whatever was necessary to ensure a busy October in 2009, and gave Cashman the mandate to load up the roster.

That meant signing A.J. Burnett and Mark Teixeira, who was being simultaneously pursued by the Angels. Cashman feared Anaheim would turn its sights on Sabathia, figuring the come-home sales pitch to the California native would trump the lure of being a Yankee.

So Cashman told Sabathia he could leave after three years if he didn’t like New York. The lefthander has since assimilated into the clubhouse, not to mention won his first World Series ring, which means the Bombers are confident he’ll remain in Pinstripes in 2012 and beyond

But for how much? Sabathia, who’ll soon turn 31, will likely ask for $26-$27 million a year for another seven years. The Yankees would be understandably wary of any contract that takes Sabathia that close to his 40th birthday - he's thrown more innings than any pitcher since 2007, and underwent knee surgery last winter. But what choice would the Steinbrenners have except to grant Sabathia's wish to become the richest pitcher in history?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Re: If CC Sabathia exercised the opt-out in his contract at the end of the season, should the Sox sign him?

I bet the Yankees and Sabathia reach agreement on an extension before he opts out. Why would he want to go anywhere else? Why would they let him?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Re: If CC Sabathia exercised the opt-out in his contract at the end of the season, should the Sox sign him?

NO NO NO annnnnnd NO.

Thirty is right, if anything CC opts out to pull an AROD and get more years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The Angels will probably be more focused on extending Weaver and Haren.  I don't know who would be bidding for Sabathia.  Not a West-Coast team that I can think of.  Maybe Texas.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In Response to Re: If CC Sabathia exercised the opt-out in his contract at the end of the season, should the Sox sign him?:
    The Angels will probably be more focused on extending Weaver and Haren.  I don't know who would be bidding for Sabathia.  Not a West-Coast team that I can think of.  Maybe Texas.
    Posted by slomag

While I think he'll re-sign with NY with a raise and maybe another year,a dark horse team that may bid on him would be the Nationals.And I believe Texas will check in on him as well. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Sabathia is an amazing pitcher, but I'm fine with him staying in the Bronx. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: If CC Sabathia exercised the opt-out in his contract at the end of the season, should the Sox sign him?:
    I bet the Yankees and Sabathia reach agreement on an extension before he opts out. Why would he want to go anywhere else? Why would they let him?
    Posted by thirtysomething

I definitely agree with you that the Yankees wouldn't want him to leave.  He has always been one of my favorite pitchers and I would love to see him sign with the Red Sox, but I don't see it happening.  Also agree that Texas would probably be interested in signing him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbair. Show kbair's posts

yes. bid on him. why not? it is unlikely that he would take it but it would drive his price up. even if he just thinks about it that would affect his standing in the bronx.
    is it really so bad to pay even $30 mil/yr to steal ny's only pitcher and ensure dominance over the next three years? i say three because as he gets closer to 40 he will likely be less effective and the back end of the contract will certainly be inflated.
    push the money across the table. as much as it takes. make a stupid offer. front load it so your protected in the later years or whatever. make it so ny needs to make a dumber offer because ultimately it is ok if he stays in the bronx.
    i think the dark horse is the giants. home town. throws money around.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

Posted by thirtysomething

well, 20 million/year doesn't buy what it used to. maybe he wants a cost of living clause added.
    btw, balloon pants have almost doubled in price.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think the "if" should be changed to "when".  When has a player who stands to make a boatload more dosh not excercised their opt out?  It's a done deal in my opinion, and the Yanks will top any offer in my opinion.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from therimrattler. Show therimrattler's posts

sabbathia can make the yankees cry and he will to make even more money.

there is not a team who needs him more and who can also afford to pay him more.

one way (extension and raise during the season) or another (opting out of his current contract at the end of the season) he will be back in a yankee uniform for maybe $25-30 million per year.

all the red sox will be able to do is stand by and watch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

he will opt out and receive an arod type wheelchair contract

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I can't see him leaving New York. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think he's gonna leave.  He will certainly opt out because he can double his current contract.  If the Rangers lose CJ Wilson they exceed any offer the yankees throw out there........yankees are going to be in big trouble after this year amd it will only get worse - after all Rivera can not go on forever.........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think he's gonna leave.  He will certainly opt out because he can double his current contract.  If the Rangers lose CJ Wilson they exceed any offer the yankees throw out there........yankees are going to be in big trouble after this year amd it will only get worse - after all Rivera can not go on forever.........
    Posted by andrewmitch

Then again, if the Rangers lose CJ Wilson, it's probably to the Yankees.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I would love to have CC on our team, but he's not going anywhere.

I thought the first contract that the Yankees gave him was insane, but it looks as though he will earn himself a new contract that's even crazier.

I keep wondering when all those innings he's pitched are going to take a toll on him...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I doubt CJ will go to NYC....I know the yankees would want him but I think CJ has higher standards than that........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I don't think we need him, but it's probably in our best interest to start the bidding at $132M/6.  That makes the NYY next move $161M/7.  If he says yes, and the NYY don't top us, we'd have to think about not going forward with Paps, Papi, and Drew obviously.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

I think the "if" should be changed to "when".  When has a player who stands to make a boatload more dosh not excercised their opt out?  It's a done deal in my opinion, and the Yanks will top any offer in my opinion.   
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn

And "should the Sox sign him" needs to be changed to "could the Sox sign him". Given the contracts that Theo signed this year, I doubt if he will be able to offer the money that Sabathia will get.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

The Sox would be smart to try and sign him, CC is the best pitcher in the AL and one of the best in baseball.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

When have the Yankees ever been out-bid for a player they wanted??  If he leaves it will be because he doesn't want to play there and will take less from another team.  Frankly, I see very little chance of that happening.  He's got the Yanks by the balls and it will most likely end up just like A Rod's situation when he opted out.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

When have the Yankees ever been out-bid for a player they wanted??  If he leaves it will be because he doesn't want to play there and will take less from another team.  Frankly, I see very little chance of that happening.   He's got the Yanks by the balls and it will most likely end up just like A Rod's situation when he opted out.
    Posted by siestafiesta

The wanted Damon in 2002 and lost out.  They wanted Manny in 2001 and lost out.  They wanted Schilling in 2003 and lost out.  It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

The yankee's financial problem is that stadium was built during a border-line depression that will never completely recover.  Lot of empty seats.......Corporate is keeping them afloat as as city taxes but that simply cannot go on forever.....Sooner or later they will hit a ceiling.  Also, George's money now has to be split.  Yankees are already locked into some contracts waiting to turn really sour - Aroids, Texiera, jeter, AJ.  They have to re-sign Cano at possibly Texeria $.......they have some holes to fill in a couple years - SS, C, OF, DH - could be costly......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

if CC uses SLACKEY'S contract in his argument for more money, then there is no limit to what he could get.
    SLACKEY CONTRACT=THEO BLUNDER.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

First: 5/30/2008
    Last: 7/20/2011
    I don't think we need him, but it's probably in our best interest to start the bidding at $132M/6.  That makes the NYY next move $161M/7.  If he says yes, and the NYY don't top us, we'd have to think about not going forward with Paps, Papi, and Drew obviously.

---------------
    Uh, what exactly is there to think about w/ Drew?  I am going to assume that you would never even remotely, not in your wildest nightmares, even consider bringing Drew back - not even at the league minimum......OK. I feel better now.  Just a typo on your part I am sure......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Of course, the Red Sox will be very agressive on signing CC Sabathia.  The biggest reason is that the Sox want to gain their strength in their rotation at the same time to weaken the Yankees's rotation.  But if CC goes elsewhere, we all should be damn happy too.  

Sections
Shortcuts