If FO has already decided to deal Youk before he walks....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If FO has already decided to deal Youk before he walks....

There are few teams that are scouting on Youk.  Dodgers, Indians, Angels, and recently added D-Backs.  If those teams show somewhat strong interest and contact our FO, Big Ben will pull the trigger if the deals sound even ok. 

I like Indians as the possible Youl trade partner and Shin Soo Choo will be our target in the Youk trade.  Obviously it won't Youk for Choo straight up but If we throw in Sweeney (+ a prospect), both teams will walk away with satisfying results IMO. 

Indians are surprisingly leading the Central right now.  They are in need of 1B who are offensively and defensively productive.  Youk can be that guy.  Staying at 1B will less likely cause him to land on DL.  He won GG at 1B.  He's capable of 25 HR/ 100 RBI with his bat.  Sweeney is still under team's control with good defense and batting avg so far this season possibly every day RF for the Indians If they part with Choo.  And same contract situation as Choo but earning $3M less.  We could throw in mid level prospect to get the deal done faster (either Pimentel or Wilson).

Choo is one of the top RF defensively with his strong arm and accurate throw.  His ability to throw out runners at homeplate gives me chill every time.  He has speed, 20-20 guy with above avg batting.  2013 arb eligible and we can extend him for 2014 and on.  He could be a perfect upgrade at RF in Fenway. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRealist2. Show SoxRealist2's posts

Re: If FO has already decided to deal Youk before he walks....

In Response to Re: If FO has already decided to deal Youk before he walks....:
    [QUOTE]  Lets do it !!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

I would not do that deal even just for Sweeney... He's way better than Choo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

What makes you think Choo is their target and what makes you believe hes available? Or is it just a guess?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

sox realist-----Sweeney is "WAY BETTER THAN CHOO"---Sweeney is having an exceptional year for Sweeney---and if he remains with the Sox I hope it continues but Choo has 2 HR,16 RBI, 6 stolen bases and plays a decent RF: IMHO I would prefer Choo  over Sweeney--I think we may have to look elsewhere for a quality OF'der..

Sweeney will find his way back to .285 soon--he's down to .311 now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

No way!!!   Sweetney is having an exceptional year especially he made that big catch on saturday nite.  Had he missed that catch, Phillies could more likely going to comeback and win that ball game.

I love Sweetney's defense.  Probably one of the better defender of all four OF's that Boston have on the current active roster right now.

If Youkilis is going to be trade, it is more likely Boston rather to have a young good talent veteran pitcher in return!!!  Or maybe couple top prospects.  But right now I do not see that these teams are willing to part away top prospects or young pitching in return due they need them badly.  Pitching is the most important ingredient for any team.

So therefore, I strongly think that Youkilis would remain with the team, and then Boston will have to make a pick on who they rather to keep, Papi or Youkilis for next season.  Both could possible walk away.

I wouldnt cry over that.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRealist2. Show SoxRealist2's posts

[QUOTE]sox realist-----Sweeney is "WAY BETTER THAN CHOO"---Sweeney is having an exceptional year for Sweeney---and if he remains with the Sox I hope it continues but Choo has 2 HR,16 RBI, 6 stolen bases and plays a decent RF: IMHO I would prefer Choo  over Sweeney--I think we may have to look elsewhere for a quality OF'der.. Sweeney will find his way back to .285 soon--he's down to .311 now.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]
    Well u got me MadMc... .311 is not good hitting and he is just terrible.. so trade him for Choo who is not available anyways.. and have a mess in the outfield when our other injured players come back... instead of talking about pitching depth.. I guess I missed it somewhere... we need outfield depth and studs for that matter to make you happy...
    next your going to start talking about Aviles not good enough or is he now; 'cause your mind is fresh with the Two homers in the past couple of days...
    The team is winning we should be happy.  Youk is in a situation not only cause of Middlebrooks but because it is highly though that he was the snitch in the clubhouse Beckett has been crying about... if he shows he can play healthy we could prob get something, if anything for him

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

Just a note, Shin Soo Choo is not, repeat not, Mickey Mantle. If the Sox offered any 3 players for him the Indians FO would drive immediately to Boston to pick them up and drop off Choo. Youk, Sweeney, and a prospect (you suggested Pimentel or Wilson) would net Adrian Gonzalez, but we already have him. if you want a great arm in right, play Che Hsuan Lin. He has a gun for an arm and is a great defensive OF. Choo is a fair hitter with a good defensive presence, but I would not trade Youk for him even up; never mind 3 for 1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Youk isnt getting traded.  Middlebrooks will be sent down soon.

The hype train is out of control.  Middlebrooks has too high of a K rate to succeed in the bigs right now.  He needs to shorten his swing and work on his pitch selection.

The perfect place to do that is AAA.

I'm not willing to hurt the 2012 team to get Middlebrooks major league at bats.  The year to make a run is 2012, not 2014 when Pedey and Lester will be getting old, Papi will no longer be here...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Youk isnt getting traded.  Middlebrooks will be sent down soon. The hype train is out of control.  Middlebrooks has too high of a K rate to succeed in the bigs right now.  He needs to shorten his swing and work on his pitch selection. The perfect place to do that is AAA. I'm not willing to hurt the 2012 team to get Middlebrooks major league at bats.  The year to make a run is 2012, not 2014 when Pedey and Lester will be getting old, Papi will no longer be here...
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]
    Will Middlebrooks has a higher MLB career strikeout rate (33.3%) than Mark Reynolds (33.2%) and struck out more frequently in the minors (26.3%) than Reynolds did (23.1%).

Reynolds is a reasonable comp for Middlebrooks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I Youkilis is going to go to Cleveland would you take Derek Lowe (6-1) from the Indians for Youkilis?

Lowe is not a young pitching prospect, but he is having a good year (so far) and is on a one year contract that Atlanta is paying 2/3rds of at this time.

Lowe also has proven to be able to handle the pressure of playing in Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I Youkilis is going to go to Cleveland would you take Derek Lowe (6-1) from the Indians for Youkilis? Lowe is not a young pitching prospect, but he is having a good year (so far) and is on a one year contract that Atlanta is paying 2/3rds of at this time. Lowe also has proven to be able to handle the pressure of playing in Boston.
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]
    Why would the division-leading Cleveland Indians want to trade their most effective starter?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjnmjn. Show mjnmjn's posts

Would I take Lowe for Youk, yes. Would the Indians trade him for Youk, I doubt it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]Youk isnt getting traded.  Middlebrooks will be sent down soon. The hype train is out of control.  Middlebrooks has too high of a K rate to succeed in the bigs right now.  He needs to shorten his swing and work on his pitch selection. The perfect place to do that is AAA. I'm not willing to hurt the 2012 team to get Middlebrooks major league at bats.  The year to make a run is 2012, not 2014 when Pedey and Lester will be getting old, Papi will no longer be here...
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Drew, you may be right that Middlebrooks will be sent down, but I totally disagree that the perfect place to be to improve his hitting is AAA. MBrooks has shown he can hit ML pitching to some extent....as is always the case, scouting and adjustments to him are causing him some issues right now.....can;t see how he going to learn to adjust back to ML pitching adjustments by facing Minor league pitchers.  I think Reynolds right now is a good comparison....so until he learns to be better at pitch selection, the sox would have to live with .250, 30+ hr, 90+ RBis....his current pace is way higher....perfectly acceptable from a 3B on this team until he improves.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sweeney is way better than Choo?? seriously?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Agree with most of the posters that Cleveland will be too stupid to trade 6-2 record Derek Lowe.  Without his fantastic year, Cleveland will not be in the first place.

Come on guys, these teams are not stupid!!!  Right now there are few playoff teams that want Youlilis badly, but they will not part away their starting pitching.  That is the key for these playoff contenders to finish strong for the rest of the season.

Teams that Boston can trade is to the teams that is more likely not going to make into the playoff this year such Twins, Cubs, Rockies, etc.  But why the world they want to take Youkilis's big fat contract at the same time he is possibility going to walk away from the club.

My best assumption that Youkilis is going to remain on the club.  Just like Posada of the Yankees.  Valentine just have to find a way to keep playing everyone.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]What makes you think Choo is their target and what makes you believe hes available? Or is it just a guess?
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

this is just my opinion.  Choo can be available if Indians don't extend him after next season just like Sweeney.  Both arb eligible after this season.  Indians need 1B badly right now with Kotchman not doing his job at 1B. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Typical OTFB thread with exaggerated statements about who to trade for and what to give up. 

While I think Middlebrooks is good enough to stay at 3B right now, I believe he will go back to Pawtucket so Youk has a chance to show what he can do. 

I do not understand the OP's insistence that the guy to get is an outfielder.  Right now the outfield is contributing a lot to the offense with CC and Ells standing in the wings. 

The need is starting pitching, not the outfield.  And right now Youk's back and slow spring will not enable him to bring in a good arm if he is traded. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If FO has already decided to deal Youk before he walks.... : I would not do that deal even just for Sweeney... He's way better than Choo
    Posted by SoxRealist2[/QUOTE]

Choo's career .290 hitter, 2 times 20-20 guy, one of the best arm in the league, top defensive OF, career .384 OBP

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: If FO has already decided to deal Youk before he walks....": [QUOTE]Typical OTFB thread with exaggerated statements about who to trade for and what to give up.  While I think Middlebrooks is good enough to stay at 3B right now, I believe he will go back to Pawtucket so Youk has a chance to show what he can do.  I do not understand the OP's insistence that the guy to get is an outfielder.  Right now the outfield is contributing a lot to the offense with CC and Ells standing in the wings.  The need is starting pitching, not the outfield.  And right now Youk's back and slow spring will not enable him to bring in a good arm if he is traded.  Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE] Great post...My guess is Middlebrooks goes back to Pawtucket (Super 2 may be factor as well) and Youk gets chance to re-establish value...if they move Youk now, it may be for PTBNL, the level of which will be based on Youk's performance...a contending team isn't going to give the Sox a starter that will be better than what they have now...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Immortal9. Show Immortal9's posts

Keep Middlebrooks at 3B and trade Youk to the Cardinals for prospects.

Lance Berkman has a torn ACL, may be considering retirement... http://goo.gl/jRL3C

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If FO has already decided to deal Youk before he walks.... : Choo's career .290 hitter, 2 times 20-20 guy, one of the best arm in the league, top defensive OF, career .384 OBP
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

10 years.....   2 good years.......   I love how some guys get blinded by myopic statistical anomaly's.

TALK ABOUT BETTING THE FARM!

I wouldn't do this deal for just Sweeney!  Sweeney CEARLY has Choo on the up side (long term), and he arguably has him straight up this season.  This guy  to GIVE AWAY Youk, Sweeney, and a good prospect????

Are you high seany boy from NY??? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If FO has already decided to deal Youk before he walks.... : Will Middlebrooks has a higher MLB career strikeout rate (33.3%) than Mark Reynolds (33.2%) and struck out more frequently in the minors (26.3%) than Reynolds did (23.1%). Reynolds is a reasonable comp for Middlebrooks.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Reynolds is the exception , not the rule.  Most people with rediculously high strikeout rates work on shortening their swing and correct the flaw....because its a huge flaw.

I agree that Middlebrooks right now compares well to Mark Reynolds, which is why I am for KEEPING Youk.

However, if Middlebrooks wants to have a solid MLB career (I would say that Reynolds career has been dissapointing), he's going to have to work on his K rate.  

Right now, Middlebrooks compares well to Reynolds, but Middlebrooks will probably get better.  Reynolds, for whatever reason, was never able to.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If FO has already decided to deal Youk before he walks.... : Drew, you may be right that Middlebrooks will be sent down, but I totally disagree that the perfect place to be to improve his hitting is AAA. MBrooks has shown he can hit ML pitching to some extent....as is always the case, scouting and adjustments to him are causing him some issues right now.....can;t see how he going to learn to adjust back to ML pitching adjustments by facing Minor league pitchers.  I think Reynolds right now is a good comparison....so until he learns to be better at pitch selection, the sox would have to live with .250, 30+ hr, 90+ RBis....his current pace is way higher....perfectly acceptable from a 3B on this team until he improves.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Reynolds hits: .190 BA, 30+ HR.  If Middlebrooks was capable of hitting .250 in the majors , I would agree with you.  But I dont think he is and if you think he is Reynolds-esque (right now), neither do you.

Another factor is Youk.  If Middlebrooks is hitting .250, 30 HR and the opportunity cost (what Youk would give you) is .280, 25 HR, then the appropriate place for Middlebrooks is AAA.

The present is more important than the future. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I can't believe how many of you have completely given up on Youk.  The last time Youk was was good was July, 2011.  You guys act like he's been crap since 2009.

Sections
Shortcuts