If I am New York I will tell Sabathia to BITE ME!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If I am New York I will tell Sabathia to BITE ME!

Leaving 92 million on the table for another chance to sit at the bIg table? I say if I am NY and if I learned anything from the ARod experience I would tell CC to bite me.  I mean who really is in control here?

Time for the big franchise to act big and tell one of its little peeps where the sun rises and sets - and if necessary where it does not shine.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: If I am New York I will tell Sabathia to BITE ME!

In Response to If I am New York I will tell Sabathia to BITE ME!:
    [QUOTE]Leaving 92 million on the table for another chance to sit at the bIg table? I say if I am NY and if I learned anything from the ARod experienc I would tell CC to bite me.  I mean who really is in control here? Time for the big franchise to act big and tell one of its little peeps where the sun sets.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Agreed

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Seriously who is going to step up to the table to pay him more than that?? Except the hometown team here as another huge mistake.

Plus, did CC lead them to a 2011 championship to deserve a raise?? We know the answer to that. Also looks like the Yanks are going to have a tough winter just like the Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Yankee starting pitching is so thin I dont think they have a lot of options.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think he opts out - it's not about getting more than $23M/year - it's about guaranteeing the $23M for more than just the next four years.  Pitching is weak this year, with CJ Wilson the biggest name on the market - if you're CC wouldn't you rather sign your last big contract now, at age 31 in this market than wait until you are 35 in an unknown market?  Sabathia is probably going to look for and get at least a seven year deal.  That said, it's an albatross waiting to happen, and I can only hope the Sox stay as far away as possible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

By the way, A-Rod's situation was different because opting out of his contract cost the Yankees a lot of money they would otherwise have received from the Rangers.  Also, all you have to know about A-Rod's class (or lack there of) is the fact that he announced his opt-out during a Red Sox World Series game.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

I think that the Brewers and the Phils are the only two teams he will go to if he doesn’t stay with the Yankees.

The Phillies offer him a chance to pitch with his friend Lee and be a member of one of the best starting pitching staff ever.

He has always said that he loved playing for the Brewers.

It has always been my belief that some guys once they win there championship and have a choice to go to a place they like they will take the place they like even if it is for less money.  CC is one of those guys, he has made more than enough money and that it is no longer an issue.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

In Response to Re: If I am New York I will tell Sabathia to BITE ME!:
    [QUOTE]Seriously who is going to step up to the table to pay him more than that?? Except the hometown team here as another huge mistake. Plus, did CC lead them to a 2011 championship to deserve a raise?? We know the answer to that. Also looks like the Yanks are going to have a tough winter just like the Sox.
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

The Boston Red Sox that's who. 

Spare me the sanctimonious nonsense.  If Sabathia hits the FA market he'll be the best pitcher available.  The Yankees gave him this clause and had to expect their was a possibility he'd exercise it.  

At this point it's all business.  If the Yankees are smart they'll give him an extension before other teams have a crack at him.  It would allow the Yankees to control the process with all the variables, deal with it quickly and get on to other aspects of preparing for next year.  But if he gets as far as FA then the all of the teams with the budget will be all over him, .. including and especially the RS.  And bidders will offer more than 4yrs & 92 mil since that is where he's at now.  What did Lee get last year a 5yr/120 mil contract that could go to 6yr/135+ mil and he's was a year older than what Sabathia will be this time around.  Sabathia will get a 5 or 6 year deal in the 150 mil range and I'm pretty sure that if the RS could get him for that they'd jump on it with both feet.

Say anything you want about Yankee pitching but theRs pitching was worse.  In the final analysis, it was RS pitching that was responsible for them not making the playoffs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxFan2OO4. Show RedSoxFan2OO4's posts

Let's get real here Sabathia isn't going anywhere besides New York, they will pay him 30mill a year to stay put. He has publically stated numerous times he loves NYC.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from highflysox. Show highflysox's posts

Its well know that CC and the Lee`s are VERY close familys.With that said IMHO  he will be a CLIFF LEE teamate in 2012.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If I am New York I will tell Sabathia to BITE ME! : The Boston Red Sox that's who.  Spare me the sanctimonious nonsense.  If Sabathia hits the FA market he'll be the best pitcher available.  The Yankees gave him this clause and had to expect their was a possibility he'd exercise it.   At this point it's all business.  If the Yankees are smart they'll give him an extension before other teams have a crack at him.  It would allow the Yankees to control the process with all the variables, deal with it quickly and get on to other aspects of preparing for next year.  But if he gets as far as FA then the all of the teams with the budget will be all over him, .. including and especially the RS.  And bidders will offer more than 4yrs & 92 mil since that is where he's at now.  What did Lee get last year a 5yr/120 mil contract that could go to 6yr/135+ mil and he's was a year older than what Sabathia will be this time around.  Sabathia will get a 5 or 6 year deal in the 150 mil range and I'm pretty sure that if the RS could get him for that they'd jump on it with both feet. Say anything you want about Yankee pitching but theRs pitching was worse.  In the final analysis, it was RS pitching that was responsible for them not making the playoffs.
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]

heobrien, it is quite impressive that you can use big words like sanctimonious in a sentence...however too bad you couldn't comprehend my post or get my point ...because I did say that the Red Sox would be the one team to try to sign him but that would be another huge mistake by them if they tried.

In my opinion, I don't see anyone other teams stepping up other than the Red Sox and Yankees to make what would have to be a huge investment to sign Sabathia for more than he currently earns annually from the Yanks.

The only other teams that might be able to afford to sign him would be the Phillies (and they're already stacked) and Texas (expecially if they lose Wilson).

On the other hand, maybe the Orioles will decide to get into the game and pony up big money for CC, that would be great.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If I am New York I will tell Sabathia to BITE ME! : The Boston Red Sox that's who.  Spare me the sanctimonious nonsense.  If Sabathia hits the FA market he'll be the best pitcher available.  The Yankees gave him this clause and had to expect their was a possibility he'd exercise it.   At this point it's all business.  If the Yankees are smart they'll give him an extension before other teams have a crack at him.  It would allow the Yankees to control the process with all the variables, deal with it quickly and get on to other aspects of preparing for next year.  But if he gets as far as FA then the all of the teams with the budget will be all over him, .. including and especially the RS.  And bidders will offer more than 4yrs & 92 mil since that is where he's at now.  What did Lee get last year a 5yr/120 mil contract that could go to 6yr/135+ mil and he's was a year older than what Sabathia will be this time around.  Sabathia will get a 5 or 6 year deal in the 150 mil range and I'm pretty sure that if the RS could get him for that they'd jump on it with both feet. Say anything you want about Yankee pitching but theRs pitching was worse.  In the final analysis, it was RS pitching that was responsible for them not making the playoffs.

Oh and one other thing...this is a RED SOX message board, so if I wish to be sanctimonious, especially if it is in context to the Yankees, well that's just too gosh darn bad! 

If you don't like what is said here you can go to a Yankee board where they're singing New York, New York.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If I am New York I will tell Sabathia to BITE ME! : heobrien, it is quite impressive that you can use big words like sanctimonious in a sentence...however too bad you couldn't comprehend my post or get my point ...because I did say that the Red Sox would be the one team to try to sign him but that would be another huge mistake by them if they tried. In my opinion, I don't see anyone other teams stepping up other than the Red Sox and Yankees to make what would have to be a huge investment to sign Sabathia for more than he currently earns annually from the Yanks. The only other teams that might be able to afford to sign him would be the Phillies (and they're already stacked) and Texas (expecially if they lose Wilson). On the other hand, maybe the Orioles will decide to get into the game and pony up big money for CC, that would be great.

It's not that I didn't comprehend so much as I was dumbfounded by your suggestion.

First of all, both Chicago teams and Toronto can afford him.  The Angels can afford him and might well see him as the last part to get them over the top, .. sort of like the Phillies stacking up starters.  The Phillies are a very likely landing spot as are the Rangers AND the RS.  Suggesting that the only the RS or Yankees have an interest and the resources would be ignorant.  

Also, ... he didn't do anything to deserve a raise?  The statement has no logic whatsoever.  If he makes it to FA he'll be the best pitcher available, ... that right there will get him a raise and additional years.  You may not think that appropriate but it is the reality of MLB economics.  And, if he got to the RS he'd immediately by the staff ace and likely remain so for tree or four years. He'd be the RS best pitcher and at the same time they'd be taking him away from the Yankees.  Put up a poll to see if the Nation thinks signing Sabathia is a good idea given the opportunity and I'd wager that the answer is yes by about 80%.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

Oh and one other thing...this is a RED SOX message board, so if I wish to be sanctimonious, especially if it is in context to the Yankees, well that's just too gosh darn bad!  If you don't like what is said here you can go to a Yankee board where they're singing New York, New York.

RED SOX message board?  Really, because aside from the fact that the web page is that iof the Boston Globe it seems like there is an awful lot of talk about the New York Yankees.  In fact this very thread makes a ridiculous suggestion regarding the New York Yankees and what strategy they should employ with their potential FA ace pitcher.

Stop being so parochial, .. it's bad for your social development.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i would be very surprised if the sox get cc, theo likes to go after unproven free agents that crack under the spotlight, cc doesnt fit that mold

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from peanutandme. Show peanutandme's posts

Sabathia will want and the Yankee's will sign him for 5 or 6 years at 25mil per year. He saw what Cliff Lee got last year and he wants the same kind of deal. The Yankee's will bid against themselves just as they did when signing Sabathia 3 years ago, and just as they did when resigning Rodriguez.
    Also the reason why Sabathia say's he loves NY and wants to stay, is because the Yankee's paid him 60mil more than anyone else offered. Anyone would say all the right things if their employer paid much more than anyone else would be willing to pay. If I were  player and the Yankee's were willing to pay me 160mil for 7 years and the next biggest offer were 100mil, I guess I could say nothing but nice things about them also.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If I am New York I will tell Sabathia to BITE ME! : It's not that I didn't comprehend so much as I was dumbfounded by your suggestion. First of all, both Chicago teams and Toronto can afford him.  The Angels can afford him and might well see him as the last part to get them over the top, .. sort of like the Phillies stacking up starters.  The Phillies are a very likely landing spot as are the Rangers AND the RS.  Suggesting that the only the RS or Yankees have an interest and the resources would be ignorant.   Also, ... he didn't do anything to deserve a raise?  The statement has no logic whatsoever.  If he makes it to FA he'll be the best pitcher available, ... that right there will get him a raise and additional years.  You may not think that appropriate but it is the reality of MLB economics.  And, if he got to the RS he'd immediately by the staff ace and likely remain so for tree or four years. He'd be the RS best pitcher and at the same time they'd be taking him away from the Yankees.  Put up a poll to see if the Nation thinks signing Sabathia is a good idea given the opportunity and I'd wager that the answer is yes by about 80%.  

Now you are putting words in my mouth...I never said he didn't deserve a raise...I just said that it was unreasonal that any teams other than the Sox or Yanks would pay him more than what he's getting now.but I'm not ignorant to the fact that if another team steps up it would be for more than what he's making now...but TORONTO??

In my opinion I don't see either Chicago team going that hard after him...where were all these teams when he was signed by NY the first time? If they're going to pay the guy now why didn't they step up a few years ago when he already had a great reputation and was 3 years younger?

With all thats going on here with the Sox right now and with some of the bad BIG DOLLAR signings they've experienced the last few years, I think they're extremely hesitant to extend a huge contract to Sabathia.

Lastly, make no mistake that this is a Red Sox message board even though BDC makes it extremely easy for anyone to sign up and join, and for some odd reason there are lots of Yankee fans that come here for intelligent baseball conversation rather than visit a Yankee cheerleader message board. Keep in mind that 50% of these Yankee fans come here to talk baseball the others are trolls just looking to instigate...which one are you hobrien?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Leaving 92 million on the table for another chance to sit at the bIg table? I say if I am NY and if I learned anything from the ARod experience I would tell CC to bite me.  I mean who really is in control here? Time for the big franchise to act big and tell one of its little peeps where the sun rises and sets - and if necessary where it does not shine.

I think the Yankees telling CC to bite me may set their team back for a couple years.  Without CC they will need a big time starter to keep pace and not even getting lucky with CJ Wilson with help.  If they don't get CJ, it may leave the Yanks in a position where they need to trade an important part of their future to get a good pitcher in return "like Lackey" with us. 

I also feel Texas would be the team to make CC an offer if they lose CJ and finally get a team to take Young.  Nolan Ryan wants to win and I'm impressed with the way he goes about it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

too bad but he will likely earn a bigger payday

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Sabathia will opt out and then get more years and money from the Yankees. 

The Yankees need Sabathia. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: If I am New York I will tell Sabathia to BITE ME! : Now you are putting words in my mouth...I never said he didn't deserve a raise...I just said that it was unreasonal that any teams other than the Sox or Yanks would pay him more than what he's getting now.but I'm not ignorant to the fact that if another team steps up it would be for more than what he's making now...but TORONTO?? In my opinion I don't see either Chicago team going that hard after him...where were all these teams when he was signed by NY the first time? If they're going to pay the guy now why didn't they step up a few years ago when he already had a great reputation and was 3 years younger? With all thats going on here with the Sox right now and with some of the bad BIG DOLLAR signings they've experienced the last few years, I think they're extremely hesitant to extend a huge contract to Sabathia. Lastly, make no mistake that this is a Red Sox message board even though BDC makes it extremely easy for anyone to sign up and join, and for some odd reason there are lots of Yankee fans that come here for intelligent baseball conversation rather than visit a Yankee cheerleader message board. Keep in mind that 50% of these Yankee fans come here to talk baseball the others are trolls just looking to instigate...which one are you hobrien?

To begin with I'm not putting words in your mouth.  

You stated:
    Plus, did CC lead them to a 2011 championship to deserve a raise??

That would clearly imply that you don't agree that he should be get a new or better contract.  I'd suggest that his performance over the last three years would show that he's earned what he's been paid, .. would be the best pitcher available if he decided to opt out, (which he'll almost certainly do, or at least renegotiate with the Yankees), ... and he'll certainly get a better and longer deal than the 4yrs/92 mil remaining on his Yankee contract.  As a Yankee fan I might not like it but the fact is the Yankees gave him this provision.  Only a fool wouldn't take advantage of it.

You might not think that Toronto, the Chicago teams, the LAA or Rangers or even Phils are a good fits for any number of reasons but they all have the need and the resources so they are in fact candidates.  That pretty much trumps any and all reasons and in time we'll see if they have the will.  Whether they make an effort or not will be a matter dependent upon a number of variables.  But, the all have the means and the need. 

The RS are a good landing spot for him too, all things considered, because they too need starting pitching, an ace, and because it would do significant harm to one of their main rivals.  One of the biggest things working against them, as you suggest, is that the RS are feeling a bit snake bit about big time FA contracts with long term nine figure commitments thanks to Lackey and to a lesser extent Crawford.  That, however, is not a good reason to not sign the right player.   But, the other major factors are that the manager needs to be replaced and perhaps the GM too.  Until those two things are settled it's less likely that the RS will move to acquire anyone of significance.  

As far as the whole troll thing, .. it's a useless concept.  Anytime someone that isn't a card carrying member of the Nation says anything around here they're suspect.  And, if they say anything critical or disagreeable no matter whether it's intelligent, "respectful" or otherwise they're a troll.  If you disagree tell me why I'm wrong rather than beat me over the head with my team preference.  Is it worse that a Yankee fan post something here that you disagree with or that a RS fan, like that Smiley numskull makes one after another idiotic threads or post?  Because while you might not agree with the former, .. the latter causes far more trouble.

The notion that a blog or message board is or should be exclusive to it's constituency is illogical as it is counter productive.  The whole idea behind blogs/message boards/Internet is to discuss, share and expand communication and knowledge.  To get more insight into the topic being discussed.  Since the RS don't exist n a vacuum if "RS blogs are limited to ust the Nation than clearly limits the experience and the benefits.  Also, if this is a "Red Sox" message board what's the reasoning for this thread?

"...which one are you hobrien?"

It doesn't matter.  While knowing I'm a Yankee fan might give you information regarding my perspective it doesn't change the logic or lack of same when I post something.  If you've issue with my ideas or logic then address that and in short order it wont matter that I'm a life long Yankee fan that happens to visit this as well as a number of other blogs to discuss baseball in general. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

"You might not think that Toronto, the Chicago teams, the LAA or Rangers or even Phils are a good fits for any number of reasons but they all have the need and the resources so they are in fact candidates."  HEO

I don't agree.  Phillies and Texas probably don't have the resources, and the Phillies (2012 SP: RH 20, CL 21.5, JB 8.5, CH~12, RO ??) probably don't have the need.

"Nine of the 30 teams" in Major League Baseball "are in violation of the MLB debt service rules, according to information presented in a confidential briefing at the owners' meetings last month," says the Los Angeles Times, citing unnamed sources, in this report.

"In addition to the Dodgers and Mets, the teams out of compliance are the Baltimore Orioles, Chicago Cubs, Detroit Tigers, Florida Marlins, Philadelphia Phillies, Texas Rangers and Washington Nationals. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-phillydeals/123229093.html

"And, if he got to the RS he'd immediately by the staff ace and likely remain so for three or four years." HEO

Jon Lester is much more likely to be better than CC 3 and 4 years from now.  We all get old!

"Seriously who is going to step up to the table to pay him more than that?? Except the hometown team here as another huge mistake." Sox67

The only scenario I could see him not in NY, is if he wants go to LAA and they are willing to give Cliff Lee money.  CC would have to take less money for a personal reason like Lee.  Any other team would have to outbid the NYY.  It has been reported the NYY offer for Lee was a bit bigger than what he signed for.  Therefore to outbid the NYY (a  team that needs CC loads) can Tor, Chix2, or Balt afford an over 30 yo pitcher ~$180m for 6. No way.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

[QUOTE]"You might not think that Toronto, the Chicago teams, the LAA or Rangers or even Phils are a good fits for any number of reasons but they all have the need and the resources so they are in fact candidates."  HEO I don't agree.  Phillies and Texas probably don't have the resources, and the Phillies (2012 SP: RH 20, CL 21.5, JB 8.5, CH~12, RO ??) probably don't have the need. " Nine of the 30 teams" in Major League Baseball "are in violation of the MLB debt service rules, according to information presented in a confidential briefing at the owners' meetings last month," says the Los Angeles Times, citing unnamed sources, in this report. "In addition to the Dodgers and Mets, the teams out of compliance are the Baltimore Orioles, Chicago Cubs , Detroit Tigers, Florida Marlins, Philadelphia Phillies , Texas Rangers and Washington Nationals. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-phillydeals/123229093.html "And, if he got to the RS he'd immediately by the staff ace and likely remain so for three or four years ." HEO Jon Lester is much more likely to be better than CC 3 and 4 years from now.  We all get old! "Seriously who is going to step up to the table to pay him more than that?? Except the hometown team here as another huge mistake." Sox67 The only scenario I could see him not in NY, is if he wants go to LAA and they are willing to give Cliff Lee money.  CC would have to take less money for a personal reason like Lee.  Any other team would have to outbid the NYY.  It has been reported the NYY offer for Lee was a bit bigger than what he signed for.  Therefore to outbid the NYY (a  team that needs CC loads) can Tor, Chix2, or Balt afford an over 30 yo pitcher ~$180m for 6. No way.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Texas has the same need for pitching now that they had last year when they tried for Lee.  And, the Phillies could decide that going with Sabathia would be better than resigning Oswalt.  Sabathia will be more expensive but he's better and younger.

As far as the MLB debt ceiling, that could well be an issue, but again the Phils and Rangers were likely in the same situation last seasn too and it didn't seem to stop them then.  And, I'd suggest that if the Cubs get a new certain high profile GM that is currently employed nearby they might well go hard after Sabathia so as to get the team rolling towards the expected WS championship.

As for the staff ace thing, it's possible that Sabathia gets old but it's also possible he doesn't.  And, if does he show some age unless he goes off the cliff production wise that would be a pretty good front of the rotation assuming Lester continues to develop.

If Sabathia is wiling to go elsewhere for less than there is no telling where he'd go.  While it's likely he'd go to the LAA the truth is He might well go to the Philles to be with his buddy Lee.  Frankly, I think that buddy notion is over sold.  I'm certain that Lee saw the potential of the rotation that the Phils were building and decided that would be a great option.  Sabathia might be thinking the same thing.  But, after money the motivation for staying or going to any other team is pure speculation.  Look at Lee last year.  Nobody saw the Phillies in the running or understand, even to this day, the mental and emotional calculus that made up his mind to sign with the Phillies.  

While I think that Sabathia will remain with the Yankees I don't see it as a lock.  There are too many instances, including Lee, where the most offered was only a component of a larger equation and in the end didn't make the difference.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Leaving 92 million on the table for another chance to sit at the bIg table? I say if I am NY and if I learned anything from the ARod experience I would tell CC to bite me.  I mean who really is in control here? Time for the big franchise to act big and tell one of its little peeps where the sun rises and sets - and if necessary where it does not shine.

CC probably would bite you, and swallow you whole in the process.

When dealing with a man whose appetite is clearly as ravenous as that of Carsten Charles  Sabathia, I would urge you to chose your words more carefully...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts