If I Had To Pick MVP of Game #4 It Would Go To.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jblazed9. Show jblazed9's posts

Re: If I Had To Pick MVP of Game #4 It Would Go To.....

Let's hope Ortiz gets hot for the next series otherwise the two years was one to many

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Per baseball official rule 6.08(b), a batter becomes a baserunner and is awarded first base when he or his equipment (except for his bat):

• is touched by a pitched ball outside of the strike zone,
    • and he attempts to avoid it (or had no opportunity to avoid it),
    • and he did not swing at the pitch.[1]

If all these conditions are met, the ball is dead, and other baserunners advance if they are forced to vacate their base by the batter taking first. Rule 5.09(a) further clarifies that a hit by pitch is also called when a pitch touches a batter's clothing.[2]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to andrewmitch's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

How about Uehara for throwing at Longoria's head?

Sure, Anderson said it "got away."   But we all knew Koji was saying "Really?  You hit Victorino FOUR TIMES!!?" 

No retribution involved.  He overthrew the pitch. 

Victorino was hit what, 18 times this year?  And most of them were in August and September when he was batting almost exclusively from the right side.  He stands right on top of the plate, heck a couple of the HBPs were borderline strikes.

I think it was a "message pitch".

Yes, Shane is sometimes in the K zone when hit or very close to it.

If a player is hit IN the K zone how is that called? I mean, it can't be called a hit batsman. My guess is that its a strike, but I don't know for sure.

A HBP is a HBP. It doesn't matter if it's in the strike zone or not.

Wrong.  You can not lean over the dish to get hit.  If a batter leans into the strike zone and gets plunked, the ump can and should call that it a Strike. 

Furthermore, the batter does have a responsibility to ATTEMPT to get out of the way.  It's strictly a judgement call but that's the rule.  Why do you think teams argue when a guy gets hit who is leaning over the plate and makes no attempt to get out of the way?

Because he makes no attempt to get out of the way.

It has nothing to do with where he is.

If you hang over the plate, get pitched in, turn your body to attempt to avoid getting hit and one elbow still get's clipped, while in the strike zone, it's a HBP.

I think you need to go check the rule book.

Seriously, think about it.  Verlander mowing everybody down with called strikes.  What would prevent a team from throwing themselves into the first strike pitch every AB until you walk a bunch of runs in?  Put on some body armor and get at it!!!!!!! Sorry, doesn't work that way. 

I did and you are correct.

6.08 The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when— (a) Four “balls” have been called by the umpire; Rule 6.08(a) Comment: A batter who is entitled to first base because of a base on balls must go to first base and touch the base before other base runners are forced to advance. This applies when bases are full and applies when a substitute runner is put into the game. If, in advancing, the base runner thinks there is a play and he slides past the base before or after touching it he may be put out by the fielder tagging him. If he fails to touch the base to which he is enti- tled and attempts to advance beyond that base he may be put out by tagging him or the base he missed. (b) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball; If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball.If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched.

yup, glad you checked it out for yourself.........it's been like 30 years since I read that but that rule always stuck out for me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to jblazed9's comment:

Let's hope Ortiz gets hot for the next series otherwise the two years was one to many

Uh huh. After hitting .385/.559/.923 with 2 homers, what would his "getting hot" look like exactly?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

Uh huh. After hitting .385/.559/.923 with 2 homers, what would his "getting hot" look like exactly?

Pedroia is the one that needs to get hot.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jblazed9. Show jblazed9's posts

He should go yard more than two times against a team that has the lightest purse.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

yup, glad you checked it out for yourself.........it's been like 30 years since I read that but that rule always stuck out for me.

Obviously, it's been too long since I've read it.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

Pedroia is the one that needs to get hot.

Agreed, and I have a feeling he will. Would love to see WMB go on one of his power tears as well, but that would be icing on the cake.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

He should go yard more than two times against a team that has the lightest purse.

Dumb, just dumb...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jblazed9. Show jblazed9's posts

Dumb, just dumb...

You disagree rays have the lightest purse?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

How many aliases does this weenie have?  CREEEEEEEPY..........

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to LionSean's comment:

He didn't factor into last nights game at all. Smart pitchers are just gonna walk him and let him clog up the base path.

You mean like how 28 teams handle Longoria?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

My choice would be Xander. Pitch hitting might be the toughest thing to do in baseball. He not only had 2 walks in 2 AB's, but scored 2/3rds of the teams runs. His first walk was arguably the turning point in the game.

He needs to start against lefties in these playoffs.

The maturity of Bogaerts has been amazing. He just turned 21, yet was able to handle that stage. I normally would wonder what kind of positive impact those two walks would have on a young hitters mentality of being patient at the plate the rest of his career. However, he doesn't even need that kind of positive reinforcement.

Was also cool watching him make that great attempt in the field. Just noticed that Xander easily ranked number 1 in all of baseball this year in UZR/150 at SS. Of course its SSSSS. But its nice none the less. Maybe he can stay at SS and be solid. Thats all I dream of. If he does that, he could end up being one of the 3 best players in the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jblazed9. Show jblazed9's posts

AROD IS THE REAL MVP

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to razcreation's comment:

The kid, Xander. If he does not take that walk in the 7th inning we probably lose this game. He then takes another walk in the 9th and scores another run.

Peavy kept the Sox in the game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

I would add Farrell. He made all the right moves, at the right time

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Dumb, just dumb...

You disagree rays have the lightest purse?

I disagree the Rays have the lightest purse.  So do the Astros and Marlins, to name 2 others.

There was only one $100mill player on the field last night.  And he wasn't on the Red Sox...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

It is tough to say...which is why this team is so successful.  I would have to go with Peavy and Breslow although Victorino should be right up there.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Peavy, the others mentioned here are a very close second.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

I would add Farrell. He made all the right moves, at the right time

Good point, he did a great job.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The fact that several names have been thrown out, all of them good choices, proves one thing: It was a true team win.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to notin's comment:

How about Uehara for throwing at Longoria's head?

Sure, Anderson said it "got away."   But we all knew Koji was saying "Really?  You hit Victorino FOUR TIMES!!?" 

I don't want this to come off as mean-spirited, but I wouldn't mind him getting hit in every game for the next couple of weeks.

Sections
Shortcuts