If Iggy hits?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: If Iggy hits?

In response to softlaw2's comment:

There are exactly 10,000,000 reasons why Drew will be starting as soon as he leaves the disabled list. He's currently on the disabled list, even though they don't have to make official roster moves for another couple of weeks.

This managment reacts and compounds the mistakes it makes. It then spends a season reinforcing the mistake. It then writes off the mistake. It then rinses and repeats the mistake. They don't have any plan on SS, except to keep up the endless comedy of searching for a slugger they can stick at SS.

yawn :z

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

There are exactly 10,000,000 reasons why Drew will be starting as soon as he leaves the disabled list. He's currently on the disabled list, even though they don't have to make official roster moves for another couple of weeks.

This managment reacts and compounds the mistakes it makes. It then spends a season reinforcing the mistake. It then writes off the mistake. It then rinses and repeats the mistake. They don't have any plan on SS, except to keep up the endless comedy of searching for a slugger they can stick at SS.

actually, there are exactly 9,500,001 reasons why he will be starting over Iggy once he is cleared from his concussion. the moolah and the fact that he is a better SS than Iggy.

Drew is better because of his bat.  If Drew cant hit, then he is a huge waste at SS.  If Drew hits like he did last season, we mine as well plug Iggy in there and take the superior defense.....he might even come on with the bat as well.  He still has the ability to get better, I don't exactly see Drews offense getting better at this point in his career.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

yawn :z

Softlaw is 100% spot on......  Will be interesting to see how much longer Drew is out, with every passing day Iggy will make it tough for Ben & Lucianno's......  Already today, Iggy has made two sharp plays in the field !!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

Drew's been a career dumpster profile because he's not better than hardly any everyday MLB SS. Drew's a wasted mercenary cost whose career with the Red Sox will start on the disabled list and end up "what fool will take this expense off our hands list". Spiked stats from the monsta won't change the fact that Drew is nothing but a few months of wasted time and money.

or so you hope

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Drew's been a career dumpster profile because he's not better than hardly any everyday MLB SS. Drew's a wasted mercenary cost whose career with the Red Sox will start on the disabled list and end up "what fool will take this expense off our hands list". Spiked stats from the monsta won't change the fact that Drew is nothing but a few months of wasted time and money.

As DAD would say........   "SON, another B I N G O" !!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 808soxfan. Show 808soxfan's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

The signing of Drew was probably the most inexplicable move of the off season. Time to admit that it was a mistake and cut our losses. Iglesias should be the shortstop. Ciriaco should be the backup infielder.  Bogaerts should be the future third baseman. Middlebrooks would then move to first. The other option would be for Bogaerts to move to left field. The Sox need to resist the urge to sign stop gap mediocre veterans.

+1

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to 808soxfan's comment:

The signing of Drew was probably the most inexplicable move of the off season. Time to admit that it was a mistake and cut our losses. Iglesias should be the shortstop. Ciriaco should be the backup infielder.  Bogaerts should be the future third baseman. Middlebrooks would then move to first. The other option would be for Bogaerts to move to left field. The Sox need to resist the urge to sign stop gap mediocre veterans.

+1

Signing Victorino was worse. By far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Admit it was a mistake cause he got hit in the head with a pitch.

Does that mean we should've known he was going to get beaned?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Hypothetical scenario here and I'm looking for two answers.  First question is what the Sox should do? And secondly what you think they will do?

With Drew questionable for opening day it appears the door is open for Iggy to be our opening day short stop.  If Iglesias hits, then what happens when drew comes back?  does Iggy get sent down to Pawtucket? Or do the sox find a new home for Drew.?

My bet is that they go with Ciriaco and Hurd, if only to see if Hurd can play.  Though it would probably depend on how long they thought Drew will be out for.  If they think it's a week, they won't bring Iggy up.  If it's more like a month, then Iggy would make sense.

And if Iggy hits, then it's his position to lose.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

It has nothing to do with his getting beaned. It was a mistake to pay that kind of money to a mediocre veteran shortstop when we have some talented young guys waiting for the opportunity.  Not only is Iglesias better than Drew , but we could use the dollars saved in other areas. 

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[/QUOTE]

that reminds me of the whining people did when Bailey got hurt last season. Dude falls awkardly onto his hand and hurts his thumb and it means he is injury prone and the sox were idiots to trade a 4th OF'er for him..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

It means that spending 10 million on a dumpster SS is pure absurdity with Iglesias, Ciraco and Pedroia in place, and quality depth in the minors.

Folks, notice how the narrative is this constant "they won't bring him up unless it's a few weeks or a few months", becasue this brilliant management team is so good at getting the maximum value out of the roster. These guys are blowing 10's of millions at a time, and the narrative is aobut how they are going to save a few million over a half a decade from now for one season.

This is how pathetic the Red Sox narrative has become. Waiting a couple of weeks, because the focuse isn't about winning games and putting the best team on the field. It's about "saving a few pennies a half decade from now" and then trying to spin it as "a few weeks with some young guy isn't going to change the outcome of any games".

Assuming, as most people believe, that Iglesias is not ready for the major leagues from an offensive standpoint and that Ciriaco is going to be the utility IF backup, who should they have obtained to be SS this year? Is it really going to matter in terms of our ability to win a ring this year or next? Get a grip. Swapping Iglesias for Drew at SS without improving the starting pitching dramatically was never going to make us a contender this year. There is no need to rush Iglesias at all. If he is going to develop into a decent offensive force he has all year at Pawtucket to do it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

I have always thought you can win with great defensive catcher or shortstop with weak bat if you have protection around them. But as good as this kid is with the glove hes the most overmatched position player I have ever seen at the plate. Cant catch up with major league fastball unless he is guess hitting. Tough to win with automatic out in the line-up and late in game do you take your best def. player out for ph. Hope he proves people like me wrong cause I love to watch him play d

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I doubt that he hits much, but more power to him.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Jon Lester needs to thank iGGY for making those 2 great plays to give him a "no-no" after 6 innings !!!!   BTW, making it look easy (glove)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Some of the top MLB career SS in the modern era would have been career minor leaguers if they employed the Red Sox "slugging SS" model. The notion that an OBP, from the SS, of .200 vs. .300 is going to have a larger impact than a butcher with a glove and an artist with a glove at SS, that's why incompetent Red Sox management keeps wasting time and money on a long cast of bums at the starting SS slot.

And who exactly scouted and signed this 'artist with a glove', Mr. Iglesias, in the first place?  Who's been paying him $2 million a year while he learns his trade? 

Would it not be this 'incompetent Red Sox management' of which you speak?

Gotcha there huh?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

If Iggy hits in the majors and Drew returns, I think Sox would trade Iggy, not Drew, for greater return.  Drew has literally no trade value when he returns from the injury with his heavy price tag on his back.  Sox would try to trade Iggy for maximum return and play Drew through out the seaon.  Bogaerts will take over the position in 2014.  When that happens, Iggy doesn't have a job once again.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

If Iggy hits in the majors and Drew returns, I think Sox would trade Iggy, not Drew, for greater return.  Drew has literally no trade value when he returns from the injury with his heavy price tag on his back.  Sox would try to trade Iggy for maximum return and play Drew through out the seaon.  Bogaerts will take over the position in 2014.  When that happens, Iggy doesn't have a job once again.  

Maybe, but I think Iggy has way more value at that position.  And if it looks like he is coming on with the bat then why trade him?  if you can have an average hitter with GG defense at SS who will be cost controlled for year then why trade him? You still don't know if Bogaerts will outgrow SS or not.  There seems to be more confidence that he stays there but a lot of people still think he may be better suited for another position.  Then we are stuck with no SS again.

I'd go with who would be the better player at that position and trade the other guy, you can worry about what you get with him later.  And if Drew comes back sooner than Ortiz then you can plug him into the DH slot.  If Drew is hitting you will find someone who will bite, I think if we throw in half/most of his salary we can get a good prospect out of the deal as well. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Assuming, as most people believe, that Iglesias is not ready for the major leagues from an offensive standpoint and that Ciriaco is going to be the utility IF backup, who should they have obtained to be SS this year? Is it really going to matter in terms of our ability to win a ring this year or next? Get a grip

Thank you for making my point. 10 million for Drew isn't going to make one iota of difference in the Red Sox capability to win a championship over the next two years.

Some of the top MLB career SS in the modern era would have been career minor leaguers if they employed the Red Sox "slugging SS" model. The notion that an OBP, from the SS, of .200 vs. .300 is going to have a larger impact than a butcher with a glove and an artist with a glove at SS, that's why incompetent Red Sox management keeps wasting time and money on a long cast of bums at the starting SS slot.

But if Iggy is not ready to play SS in the major leagues but might be ready when the team is ready to compete for a ring again, around 2-3 years from now, why rush him up before his time? He should clearly be in the minor leagues where he can receive instruction on how to hit the baseball without all the pressure that comes with playing in the major leagues in Boston. So assuming he is not yet ready and would benefit by more time in the minors, who should they have signed to play SS? Someone has to play there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Assuming, as most people believe, that Iglesias is not ready for the major leagues from an offensive standpoint and that Ciriaco is going to be the utility IF backup, who should they have obtained to be SS this year? Is it really going to matter in terms of our ability to win a ring this year or next? Get a grip

Thank you for making my point. 10 million for Drew isn't going to make one iota of difference in the Red Sox capability to win a championship over the next two years.

But if Iggy is not ready to play SS in the major leagues but might be ready when the team is ready to compete for a ring again, around 2-3 years from now, why rush him up before his time? He should clearly be in the minor leagues where he can receive instruction on how to hit the baseball without all the pressure that comes with playing in the major leagues in Boston. So assuming he is not yet ready and would benefit by more time in the minors, who should they have signed to play SS? Someone has to play there.

Could someone point out to me what is fundamentally worng with Iggy's approach at the plate that he could be taiught to correct it at AAA? If his issue is, as someone here said, he cant catch up to a ML fastball, then I dont see how that is correctable or teachable....I would think the only way you get batter at that is to face more Major League Fastballs....and since he has K's very little this spring facing mostly fastballs....I cant see that as the issue. If the issue is plate discipline....or bascially taking more pitches and walking more....this contradicts the quotes of praise he is getting from the Manager for being more confident and aggressive at the plate.....I am all for him improving at the plate, but I have stated before I only think that improvement is real if I see it at the ML level...if he goes down to AAA and hits .275....it will mean nothing when he comes up because he will have to prove it at than next level anyway.....maybe he will never hit better than .220 in the majors, but unless someone can show me the whole he has in his swing that needs to be worked on in the Minors, I would like to see his glove in Boston and let him face ML pitching and get better at it....because that is the only way he ever will. And as I have said before becuase of his defense, he is the one guy on our Roster who if he hit .240, it would be fine.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Could someone point out to me what is fundamentally worng with Iggy's approach at the plate that he could be taiught to correct it at AAA? If his issue is, as someone here said, he cant catch up to a ML fastball, then I dont see how that is correctable or teachable....I would think the only way you get batter at that is to face more Major League Fastballs....and since he has K's very little this spring facing mostly fastballs....I cant see that as the issue. If the issue is plate discipline....or bascially taking more pitches and walking more....this contradicts the quotes of praise he is getting from the Manager for being more confident and aggressive at the plate.....I am all for him improving at the plate, but I have stated before I only think that improvement is real if I see it at the ML level...if he goes down to AAA and hits .275....it will mean nothing when he comes up because he will have to prove it at than next level anyway.....maybe he will never hit better than .220 in the majors, but unless someone can show me the whole he has in his swing that needs to be worked on in the Minors, I would like to see his glove in Boston and let him face ML pitching and get better at it....because that is the only way he ever will. And as I have said before becuase of his defense, he is the one guy on our Roster who if he hit .240, it would be fine.

The problem is that he hasn't even proven he can hit at the AAA level. His OPS in two years in AAA ball is .589 and only .672 at the AA level. It makes no sense to shove him into the lineup in the major leagues and expect improvement right now. First he has to prove he can hit AAA pitching; then he can be promoted.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts