Reyes  1411  645

Andrus  1333  647

Peralta  1278  588

Aybar   1190  591

Jeter     1186  496

Ryan     1171  593

Crawford  1101  590

R Tejada     965  444

I do not think Iggy making .5 more plays per game than the average SS or .6 more than Drew is improbable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: If Iggy hits?

Never wanted Drew but it is a 1 year deal and he probably does not finish the season in Boston. ..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Never wanted Drew but it is a 1 year deal and he probably does not finish the season in Boston. ..

He probably has to play and do well to net anything in return, but if he does well, Ben may not trade him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to notin's comment:

Never wanted Drew but it is a 1 year deal and they can get for Drewhe probably does not finish the season in Boston. ..

He probably has to play and do well to net anything in return, but if he does well, Ben may not trade him.

Unless the team is losing.

Oif he thinks they will be better with Iggy and whatever thry can get for Drew...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Critical to have 10 million dollar control on S. Drew, a guy who had great numbers in AA ball.

Hahhhahahaha.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

Drew plays whenever he is healthy. Iggy goes to AAA. If Drew acts all Drewy and is injured 50% of the time, then fine. Try to move him and give Iggy the chance to strike out/ground out 5 times a game because you have no one else. If Drew stays healthy, trade Iggy to an NL team that can accept a shortstop who can't hit. The Red Sox can not. I'm not sure why people don't understand this. Iggy is probably not going to play much for the Boston Red Sox. He is a bust.

edit: actually scratch that. If Drew can't play, Ciriaco steps in. Iggy is destined for Pawtucket and then the trading block. I wish him well wherever he goes.

This is one of the more ignorant posts i've read i a while.  Why shouldn't we ask the pitchers who they'd like to have playing behind them.  I just got back from watching Iggy play in three straight games in Florida.  Have you even seen him play?  Simpleton's.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cassvt2004. Show cassvt2004's posts

In response to chetgnat's comment:

Iggy can't hit. Won't hit. Won't ever be the long-term answer in Boston and will be traded soon. Some people simply can't hit major league pitching and the best defensive player in the history of the game isn't worth playing if he can't hit .200. Just the way it is. hth.

Way to have a good outlook.  He just turned 23.  Cut some slack. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Critical to have 10 million dollar control on S. Drew, a guy who had great numbers in AA ball.

Yeah Stephen Drew has never hit well at the MLB level (rolls eyes, after making extremly sarcastic comment)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Iglesias's career RF in the minors is 4.18. In the majors its 4.38. I do think his range is above average inspite of these numbers. But the idea he is going to be Ozzie Smith is wrong.

Also, his OB% this spring is down to .250. Hopefully Drew will be healthy soon.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to tomnev's comment:

Assuming, as most people believe, that Iglesias is not ready for the major leagues from an offensive standpoint and that Ciriaco is going to be the utility IF backup, who should they have obtained to be SS this year? Is it really going to matter in terms of our ability to win a ring this year or next? Get a grip

Thank you for making my point. 10 million for Drew isn't going to make one iota of difference in the Red Sox capability to win a championship over the next two years.

Some of the top MLB career SS in the modern era would have been career minor leaguers if they employed the Red Sox "slugging SS" model. The notion that an OBP, from the SS, of .200 vs. .300 is going to have a larger impact than a butcher with a glove and an artist with a glove at SS, that's why incompetent Red Sox management keeps wasting time and money on a long cast of bums at the starting SS slot.

But if Iggy is not ready to play SS in the major leagues but might be ready when the team is ready to compete for a ring again, around 2-3 years from now, why rush him up before his time? He should clearly be in the minor leagues where he can receive instruction on how to hit the baseball without all the pressure that comes with playing in the major leagues in Boston. So assuming he is not yet ready and would benefit by more time in the minors, who should they have signed to play SS? Someone has to play there.

Could someone point out to me what is fundamentally worng with Iggy's approach at the plate that he could be taiught to correct it at AAA? If his issue is, as someone here said, he cant catch up to a ML fastball, then I dont see how that is correctable or teachable....I would think the only way you get batter at that is to face more Major League Fastballs....and since he has K's very little this spring facing mostly fastballs....I cant see that as the issue. If the issue is plate discipline....or bascially taking more pitches and walking more....this contradicts the quotes of praise he is getting from the Manager for being more confident and aggressive at the plate.....I am all for him improving at the plate, but I have stated before I only think that improvement is real if I see it at the ML level...if he goes down to AAA and hits .275....it will mean nothing when he comes up because he will have to prove it at than next level anyway.....maybe he will never hit better than .220 in the majors, but unless someone can show me the whole he has in his swing that needs to be worked on in the Minors, I would like to see his glove in Boston and let him face ML pitching and get better at it....because that is the only way he ever will. And as I have said before becuase of his defense, he is the one guy on our Roster who if he hit .240, it would be fine.

The problem is that he hasn't even proven he can hit at the AAA level. His OPS in two years in AAA ball is .589 and only .672 at the AA level. It makes no sense to shove him into the lineup in the major leagues and expect improvement right now. First he has to prove he can hit AAA pitching; then he can be promoted.

But, it's Ok to go with Ciriaco at SS?

The guy who has a career .299 OBP in the minors over a huge sample size.

First, Ciriaco can play multiple positions. He should not be the starting SS either once Drew is back. Ciriaco is the utility IF. Second, in a reasonably decent sample size of 312 ABs, Ciriaco is hitting .299/.725. Iglesias is hitting just .135/.413 in 74 ABs in the majors and just .251/.589 in 783 PAs at the AAA level. You tell me who has the better statistics.

Iggy does.

I'm never going to make any judgements based on 312 PAs(Pedro), let alone 74 (Iggy).

Here's a bigger sample size- the minors...

Iggy:     1076 PAs:  .264  OBP:.313

Pedro:   3502 PAs   .272  OBP: .299

Iggy is a better fielding SS. He doesn't need to know how to play 2B, since guys like Ciriaco and Holt can play there, if needed.

Mark my words, Pedro will come back down to earth as he started to in his last 100 or so PAs out of the 312. In a larger sample size that Iggy's is, Pedro did this in his last 111 PAs:

.233/.269/.291/.560

Perhaps this is more like the real Pedro that the one from his previous scattered 201 PAs.

Absurd. There is no way Iggy has better numbers when it comes to anything like decent competition. At the AAA level he utterly failed offensively with a large sample size and Ciriaco with a decent sample size against BETTER PITCHING at the ML level outperformed Iglesias's performance at the AAA level by far. Your contention that Iglesias has better numbers than Ciriaco implies he is a better hitter at this stage of his career, and that is, in fact, false.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I know, it's early, small sample size etc etc etc.  This is what my better half said before bumping this.......my better half lost.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

I know, it's early, small sample size etc etc etc.  This is what my better half said before bumping this.......my better half lost.

the RBI double from Iggy yesterday was the first good AB i've seen from him so far in 2 games. no greats plays that drew would not have made either

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

the RBI double from Iggy yesterday was the first good AB i've seen from him so far in 2 games. no greats plays that drew would not have made either

I think he looks more confident at the plate this year.  And he has definitely made some good plays.  He makes hard plays look routine.  I'll hold judgement because it's early.....but so far so good. 

Sections
Shortcuts