If Iglesias has won the 3B job...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

If Iglesias has won the 3B job...

...who's the utility guy? And should Middlebrooks be sent down?

As today's pregame notes say:

"As this marks the fourth time in five games that Will Middlebrooks is out of the lineup, it's safe to say Iglesias has won the job."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/06/game_77_red_sox_at_tigers.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: If Iglesias has won the 3B job...

Iglesias is making a believer out of me, but I think there is still the very real possibility of an extended slump coming.  Conversely, Middlebrooks has made some very loud outs his last few games - you have to go with the hot hand, but I'd find some ways to get Middlebrooks some ABs.  

No need for a utility player - Iglesias can just switch positions during the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

No need for a utility player - Iglesias can just switch positions during the game.

Not if you send Middlebrooks down. I don't seen what good it does him to sit on the bench. Then there's no backup for 3rd.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Middlebrooks is the de facto utility infielder if someone gets hurt or against a lefty starter when Drew might sit and Iglesias move to SS. 

The key move was letting Ciriaco go because the current four--Middlebrooks, Drew, Iglesias, and Pedroia are the best combo of hitting and fielding at those three positions--SS, 3b, and 2b. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Iggy is now batting .437.  How many at-bats does one need to win the batting title?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

Iggy is now batting .437.  How many at-bats does one need to win the batting title?

I love it.  Another enthusiast thinking Iglesias is going to be the first hitter since Ted Williams to hit .400 in a season.  His approach at the plate has improved a ton, but his optimum this year is almost certainly somewhere around .300.  If he stays in the lineup and hits .300, he has a shot at ROY. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Middlebrooks and Drew will likely platoon (Drew vs RHPs/Midd vs LHPs).

Iggy plays SS vs LHPs and 3B vs RHPs. 

As for the .400 BA for Iggy?

You need 502 PAs to be official. Iggy is currently at .438 (46 for 105 with 117 PAs). He'd need to get 385 PAs the rest of the way. That is not going to be easy batting 9th as he is now, even if he plays in almost all of our remaining 85 games.

For argument's sake, let's say he gets to 502 PAs and has the same percent of BBs, HBPs and Sacrifices. He'd end up with 451 ABs. To bat .400 with 451 ABs, you'd have to have 181 hits. That means Iggy would have to go 135 for 346. That's a .390 pace from here to the end.

Highly unlikely.

Sox4ever

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

You need 502 PAs to be official. Iggy is currently at .438 (46 for 105 with 117 PAs). He'd need to get 385 PAs the rest of the way. That is not going to be easy batting 9th as he is now, even if he plays in almost all of our remaining 85 games.

For argument's sake, let's say he gets to 502 PAs and has the same percent of BBs, HBPs and Sacrifices. He'd end up with 451 ABs. To bat .400 with 451 ABs, you'd have to have 181 hits. That means Iggy would have to go 135 for 346. That's a .390 pace from here to the end.

Highly unlikely.

Sox4ever

Sure would mess up the can't hit theory!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

Highly unlikely.

Sox4ever

Sure would mess up the can't hit theory!

Even if he batted lead off every game from now to the end, he probably would not get 385 PAs. I guess if we have a great offensive season as a team, he could, but it's nearly impossible.

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

And in a related question, what's the criteria for a Rookie?

Is it possible he's in a position where he can't qualify for the batting title because he doesn't have enough AB's but could have enough AB's to be ROY?

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

It is very unlikely that Iglesias will continue to hit at his current pace, but lets enjoy it while it lasts.  AND, let the Sox enjoy as well with this kid in the lineup every day.  Please no more "resting" him to let the two guys who are hitting about .215 combined to play.

I wrote all winter that this guy would be worth having in the lineup every day if he could change his approach to where he could hit .250 as a shortstop because of his glove.  I admit that I would like to see the Sox have more of a HR threat at third base, but the guy is hitting .440 and is on base around 50% of the time so just let him play every day.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to DaffyDan's comment:

...who's the utility guy? And should Middlebrooks be sent down?

As today's pregame notes say:

"As this marks the fourth time in five games that Will Middlebrooks is out of the lineup, it's safe to say Iglesias has won the job."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/06/game_77_red_sox_at_tigers.html

We need to remember one thing, Middy had a solid rookie season then the pitchers adjusted to him.  Iggy could end with the same challenge moving forward so lets not jump to conclusions just yet.  However I do think outside of some power, Iggy is a much better all round athlete.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

Fine observations, folks, yet this organization will likely play out the string for as long as they can.  For now, three guys rotate among three positions, with Bogaerts knocking on the door soon.

Do you deal one?  If yes, I recommend Drew.  Too much upside potential with the other guys.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

Iglesias is making a believer out of me, but I think there is still the very real possibility of an extended slump coming.  Conversely, Middlebrooks has made some very loud outs his last few games - you have to go with the hot hand, but I'd find some ways to get Middlebrooks some ABs.  

Why so many people here feel the need to point out the obvious downsides to Iggys potential and performance? We all know he will slump, as will Ortiz, Napoli, ..... Not just any slump but an "extended slump"... and not just a possibilty but a "very real possibility"..... Red Alert, Mayday!  Why point it out? 

My point was more that we don't want to put ourselves in a position where Iglesias is our only option, nor do we want to wipe our hands of Middlebrooks.  Middlebrooks has more upside than Drew, but Drew is a perfectly good SS if Iglesias slumps.  So I would rather see all three guys get some ABs than just riding Iglesias until he slumps and then hoping Middlebrooks can jump off the bench or out of the minors and start raking.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Until Iggy starts slowing down, hes playing everyday. Drew was in a slump, but has starting hitting the ball hard again recently and taking walks. If he goes on one of his hitting streaks like he did in late April into mid may, hes going to play everyday. Even against LHP.

If that scenario happens, I would think Middy should go to AAA to get AB's on a regular basis and bring up Holt.

Sections
Shortcuts